IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Are you willing to work for free if the goods and services are free?
Yes 23 34.85%
No 29 43.94%
I don't know 14 21.21%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11th April 2021, 12:37 PM   #2561
Gaetan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Oh, by all means please ,cite what other "species like our" there is, let alone one that "choose a leader"?

Exactly, he told his apostles to be the one who used money for his ministry, instead of him. He had Peter catch a fish and get money from its mouth to pay the temple tax.

He had Judas be in charge of the money bag, that he embezzled from.

Just how "just" are those "words of justice" that bid others to do your 'sinning' (by using money) in your stead?
After his death Jesus told the apostles that he is God, then he replaced his Father. If you love money your master is the devil not Jesus or God. That's why you can't love Jesus.

Last edited by Gaetan; 11th April 2021 at 12:41 PM.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2021, 12:52 PM   #2562
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
They exist it is even proved that parallel worlds exist. It doesn't prove that because you don't see them they don't exist, electric or magnetic wave exist but you don't see them. The earth is over croudy of souls. there could be as many as a hundred souls in your house.
Um, light is the name of spectrum of electro-magnetic waves that we do actually see. We feel inferred, are affected by ultraviolet and communicate along a broad spectrum of various wavelengths of electro-magnetic waves.

No, it has not been "proved that parallel worlds exist". If the "earth is over croudy of souls" as you assert, then they better get back to their own homes instead of mooching off of us, hiding car keys, stealing one sock from a pair in the dryer (or wash), rearranging furniture in the middles of the night, eating that last bit of something that you knew was still in the fridge or cabinet, beating my high scores on the X-box, sucking up all that electricity (how the heck did we use 1.21 giga-watts last month?!?!?). Heck, at least make themselves useful, weed the garden, cut the grass, feed the dang pets, change the oil in the car, anything. Either they get a job or go back to school or they're just going to have to go out and get a parallel world of their own.

Last edited by The Man; 11th April 2021 at 01:09 PM. Reason: added missing "waves"
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2021, 12:55 PM   #2563
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

... there could be as many as a hundred souls in your house.
Unlikely. The invisible pink dragon living in my garage probably scares them away.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2021, 01:07 PM   #2564
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

After his death Jesus told the apostles that he is God, then he replaced his Father. If you love money your master is the devil not Jesus or God. That's why you can't love Jesus.
I have no love of money (if I did I wouldn't be spending so much of it) and heck, I might even love Jesus if he wasn't portrayed as such a hypocritical douche (narcissistic god incantation included). He didn't replace his father he was his own father, not to mention manifested an auditory sexual assault that resulted in a pregnancy.

So, as expected no citation of some other "species like our" that "choose a leader".
Old 11th April 2021, 01:35 PM   #2565
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Are you genuinely not understanding that we don't believe in god, or are you being deliberately obtuse?

We don't think god is real Gaetan. Souls aren't real. None of this is real.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2021, 01:38 PM   #2566
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Some species like our choose a leader and this leader is God.
I don't understand what you mean by this. I

Because he teaches words of justice and this is just justice he didn't use money and he tolld the apostles to do so.
Please provide evidence that Jesus was worth listening to. You are simply asserting your premise and demanding we accept it. We do not.

I think Jesus as presented in the bible was a vicious psychopth attempting to push nonsense ideas and belief in a ridiculous fantasy that he called "god" who, by his/her/it's own presentation in the bible was an even bigger monster. The bibilical god is not real, but if he WAS real he would be evil. Why should I care what a genocidal capricious wannabe dictator and archetypal abusive parent thinks is good?

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2021, 04:39 AM   #2567
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

After his death Jesus told the apostles that he is God,
How do you know that?

then he replaced his Father.
Did he? Then your claim is that the bible is flat out wrong.

If you love money your master is the devil not Jesus or God.
Wheee and hear those goalposts moving. No. Your claim was that using money was the problem. You do not get to suddenly switch horses.

That's why you can't love Jesus.
I can't love jebus because there is no jebus. None at all. Nothing. You might as well claim that you love your childhood teddy bear as a comfort to yourself. It means nothing to anyone else.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2021, 07:01 PM   #2568
Gaetan
Illuminator

I have no love of money.
Yes you do
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2021, 03:36 AM   #2569
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Yes you do
So you are now claiming to know our minds better than we do ourselves? Are you claiming to be psychic?

Old 13th April 2021, 03:38 AM   #2570
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Also are you ever going to answer me?

Old 13th April 2021, 06:00 AM   #2571
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Yes you do
Nope, once again confirmed by my often carefree expenditures of such. If I loved money I'd want to keep it, just for the love of it, rather than spend it to get what I'd rather have than money. Heck, I just took a $1,300 chance to get a diagnostic tool for my motorcycle that is suppose to be only available to dealers. The unit I got didn't work but with some ingenuity I was to make it fully functional. Had I had to eat the cost, it would have just been the price for taking the risk in the first place.

You use money like me, though perhaps not as effectively or even, at times, as thriftlessly as me. So what specifically makes your use of money not some love of money?
Old 13th April 2021, 06:06 AM   #2572
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

I have no love of money.
Yes you do
I strenuously caution you, you altered the quote form me to make it appear as though "I have no love of money." as a complete and entire sentence was something posted by me, it was not. Continuing such actions may result in moderator notification and action.
Old 13th April 2021, 12:57 PM   #2573
Leftus
Master Poster

Jesus said that a person who likes money hate God
YOU, are still using (and serving) money. Why should we listen to you?
Leftus is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2021, 09:36 AM   #2574
Gaetan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
YOU, are still using (and serving) money. Why should we listen to you?
I use the system of money because the world use it, it is a collective decision to get rid of it not only one person.
Old 16th April 2021, 10:21 AM   #2575
Leftus
Master Poster

I use the system of money because the world use it, it is a collective decision to get rid of it not only one person.
How many other teachings are for the collective and not the individual? Also, where is that distinction notated?

Also, you didn't answer the question. You are serving money, and thus the devil, by your standards. Why should we take your word for ... anything?

Last edited by Leftus; 16th April 2021 at 10:22 AM.
Leftus is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2021, 10:22 AM   #2576
Belz...
Fiend God

Jesus said that a person who likes money hate God
And Yoda said that luminous being are we.

We're not in the religion subforum. We're talking about real things, not mythologies.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2021, 10:25 AM   #2577
Belz...
Fiend God

They exist it is even proved that parallel worlds exist.
No they're not.

Now are you going to discuss money and inequalities, or religion?

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2021, 10:31 AM   #2578
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

So why don't you extend that argument to anyone but yourself?

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2021, 11:28 AM   #2579
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Welcome back Gaetan. Are you going to answer me yet? I mean, I only ask because my post it older than the one you just replied to and we wouldn't want anyone to think you were running away, would you?

Old 16th April 2021, 11:31 AM   #2580
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

So far, you have recruited how many? None. None at all. You are an army of one against an entire world that thinks you are wrong.

Did the possibility that it is you who are wrong ever enter your head? Or were you happy to take the christian message and corrupt it to your own purposes?

What happened to the last person to corrupt the christian message? What happened to the most prominent person to corrupt the christian message?

Turns out that you, Gaetan, are a follower and promoter of Satan, Lucifer, the Dark Lord.

Funny enough, there are bible quotations I could give you to verify this fact, but they would mean nothing to you since you clearly have not read the stupid book in the first place.

Face it, you are the spawn of satan according to the book.

abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2021, 12:45 PM   #2581
Leftus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
Welcome back Gaetan. Are you going to answer me yet? I mean, I only ask because my post it older than the one you just replied to and we wouldn't want anyone to think you were running away, would you?
Answering questions isn't his bag. He quotes people, ignores what they said, and repeats whatever claptrap he has already said. I could point out that there are already people living without currency. Granted, not living the high life, which is what Gaetan demands, but sacrifices will be made. Just not by him.
Old 16th April 2021, 01:11 PM   #2582
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
Answering questions isn't his bag. He quotes people, ignores what they said, and repeats whatever claptrap he has already said. I could point out that there are already people living without currency. Granted, not living the high life, which is what Gaetan demands, but sacrifices will be made. Just not by him.
Sure. At some level, Gaetan is aware that he must refuse any discussion as his ideas will fall under any serious scrutiny.

Why he avoids such scrutiny is left as an excercise for the reader, but we all know in that place we call reality that such ideas fail every time.

This seems to be a common theme in the various crackologues encountered.

"I cannot be wrong, therefore the universe is wrong". This has never worked as a proposal, yet everyone of the countless thousands that rock up here and on countless other sites fail without exception.

That said, let us return to Gaetan's claims in particular.

Suppose we banished money permanently today. What kind of world would we end up with? After all, there is no reason why we could not, given sufficient support.

Let us assume that we actually by global vote abandoned money lock, stock and barrel.

What is Gaetan's next move?

Anyone know?

Does gaetan know?

Old 18th April 2021, 07:34 AM   #2583
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Sure. At some level, Gaetan is aware that he must refuse any discussion as his ideas will fall under any serious scrutiny.

Why he avoids such scrutiny is left as an excercise for the reader, but we all know in that place we call reality that such ideas fail every time.

This seems to be a common theme in the various crackologues encountered.

"I cannot be wrong, therefore the universe is wrong". This has never worked as a proposal, yet everyone of the countless thousands that rock up here and on countless other sites fail without exception.

That said, let us return to Gaetan's claims in particular.

Suppose we banished money permanently today. What kind of world would we end up with? After all, there is no reason why we could not, given sufficient support.

Let us assume that we actually by global vote abandoned money lock, stock and barrel.

What is Gaetan's next move?

Anyone know?

Does gaetan know?
Generally his expectation is that most things would stay and work the same. Though experience has taught us that Gaetan simply doesn't actually understand how or why things currently work or his thinking of how and why things currently work is demonstrably and trivially wrong.

Further in his utopia fantasizing he ignores even his own counter indicators. For example, he asserts that people use money to screw each other over while ignoring that it is just as easy if not easier to screw each other over by simply taking possession of stuff in a "free world". He repeats assertions about shaming people as a controlling factor but if it were that simple you could just shame people out of screwing each other over for money.

He continues to equate investment with simply monetary investment and not the actual investment of materials and resources a simple monetary value actually represents. As such, the need for investments doesn't change but available resources and materials diminish and/or result in direct conflict.

Further in his utopia fantasizing he has people doing what they want while ignoring the convergence of talent, training and opportunity that actually make someone effective in a given position even if it ain't what they want or wanted. As such, production, service, arts and innovation will be mired by people more looking to fulfill a hobby or dream than being effectively productive at their tasks.

Finally, not only has he asserted that equity is out the window (there is no obligation that anyone get anything at all for working, let alone any kind of equity). He has also asserted that no one will be monitoring, coordinating or controlling what people are doing. As such, both quality and safety go out the window as well.

Fundamentally, Gaetan's next move is to allow to be enacted a dystopia orders of magnitude worse, in all aspects, than the one he fantasizes we currently live in.
Old 18th April 2021, 11:52 AM   #2584
Gaetan
Illuminator

So far, you have recruited how many? None. None at all. You are an army of one against an entire world that thinks you are wrong.
There are 23 answered yes, 29 no and 14 don't know, the figure show that i won the debate, for a new idea 23 yes is enormous.
Old 18th April 2021, 12:09 PM   #2585
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

There are 23 answered yes, 29 no and 14 don't know, the figure show that i won the debate, for a new idea 23 yes is enormous.
That great news. You won. Now you and your 23 followers can leave money-based civilisation behind and set up a commune somewhere, where you can each contribute according to your abilities and each take whatever you need.

It would be good to check that the 23 are still keen on the idea of course. They don't seem to be contributing to this discussion. This might make them hard to find. Perhaps you could ask the souls and spirits you see. They might have special powers for finding people or something.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2021, 12:09 PM   #2586
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

23. Of whom? In what context? Got a link? How many of those 23 said yes just to end your nonsense? Why does nobody here buy your ******** for a second? Why is everyone here able to point out the terminal flaws in your insane idea quite easily?

Old 18th April 2021, 12:16 PM   #2587
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Seriously "new idea", you do need to get out more. Working in exchange for goods and services is perhaps one of the oldest ideas going. Heck, just in more recent times and a more modern/futuristic example would be the economy of the Stark Trek series.

Two problems, the economy of Star Trek is a post scarcity economy (replicators, automation and all that). Second, you are explicitly not offering working in exchange for goods and services. You assert specifically no obligation that people working for free will actually get anything for free, or at all. As I've already mentioned your question is deceptive, by not relating the very conditions you intend. People working for free and potentially getting no goods or services at all.

Finally, if "23 yes is enormous" then 29 is over one quarter more enormous than "enormous". Not to mention the unknows being over, well, half as enormous as "enormous".

Last edited by The Man; 18th April 2021 at 12:31 PM. Reason: typo
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2021, 12:17 PM   #2588
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Gaetan?

Old 18th April 2021, 12:20 PM   #2589
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

23. Of whom? In what context? Got a link? How many of those 23 said yes just to end your nonsense? Why does nobody here buy your ******** for a second? Why is everyone here able to point out the terminal flaws in your insane idea quite easily?
He's talking about the respondents to the poll at the top of this thread .
Old 18th April 2021, 12:22 PM   #2590
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Aw, come on guys. You can't argue with a victory on this scale surely? "Yes" was the second most popular answer after "No". Gaetan surged to almost 35% in his meaningless and weasel-worded poll. That overwhelming victory ought to be recognised for what it is.
Old 18th April 2021, 01:13 PM   #2591
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

He's talking about the respondents to the poll at the top of this thread .
Ah. I paid no heed to that. Crank polls tend to generate cranky responses just for the larf.

Old 18th April 2021, 03:11 PM   #2592
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I see Gaetan has taken the example of his beloved ex president, and redefined winning to be losing. Well done.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2021, 03:32 PM   #2593
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I see Gaetan has taken the example of his beloved ex president, and redefined winning to be losing. Well done.
Gaetan can't possibly like Trump. Trump was all about money.

Old 18th April 2021, 04:45 PM   #2594
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Gaetan can't possibly like Trump. Trump was all about money.
And yet, I think if you look back in the thread, he does.

Old 19th April 2021, 07:08 AM   #2595
Leftus
Master Poster

New idea? The people at Moneyless.org have been actually doing it since about 2013. You, on the other hand, embrace your devil.

I'm seeing a new problem. Basic math, 29 is more than 23. So not sure how this is "winning" when it's not the majority, and under your thinking, everyone would have to do it for it to work. Also, consider that the members of this small forum mostly ignored your poll. As I write this, there are 300 plus visitors to this site, and you've captured about 10% of that. I shouldn't have to mention that the population of this section of this site isn't representative of the site nor of the public in general.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance