ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags border walls , donald trump , immigration issues , Trump controversies

Old 10th June 2019, 12:38 PM   #1201
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
All the greatest leaders rule by bypassing the other branches of government and simply saying anything is an emergency after all.
Then why not have an "emergency" and march Trump and Pence off government property and out of office, and let whoever is next be president and stop the rot.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 01:00 PM   #1202
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I don't think Lindsey Graham is too happy about this. But it's probably not enough to provoke open criticism of Trump.

It's one thing to defy House Dems. Rah rah. But his defying the Republican Senate is going to bug some GOP senators.

It's not as if he cares. He flat out told the Republicans that they should sit down, shut up, and do what he tells them. I can't find the exact quote at the moment, but he said that they should support their President and not oppose his decisions, no matter what.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 01:03 PM   #1203
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
It's not as if he cares. He flat out told the Republicans that they should sit down, shut up, and do what he tells them. I can't find the exact quote at the moment, but he said that they should support their President and not oppose his decisions, no matter what.
So, basically every Republican Congress-critter could be replaced by a simple PowerShell script?

If (SubmittedBill.Approvers -match "Trump") {
SubmittedBill.Pass()
}
Old 10th June 2019, 01:10 PM   #1204
Armitage72
Master Poster

I found the quote.

Quote:
The president said Congress, "should be saying, 'we are with the President, we will do whatever he wants to do,' and Mexico would fold like an umbrella."

I just realized the irony of that statement, since he doesn't know how to fold an umbrella.

Last edited by Armitage72; 10th June 2019 at 01:13 PM.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 01:38 PM   #1205
Minoosh
Philosopher

Thanks for digging up the quote. I thought you were saying that Graham told Republicans this. Which would surprise me. Trump doesn't have to care about GOP senators but just ignoring them might not work so great either, because he's asking a lot of them, including signing on to a coverup without knowing exactly what they're covering up. Many disagree with him about Russia and Saudi Arabia, and not just for the sake of disagreeing - they seem to be actually concerned. They're losing face, IMO. Sooner or later something's got to give.

A third of the Senate is in play in the 2020 presidential race. So far they've gone all in with Trump. If that changes, the power dynamics will shift dramatically. It might not even take that much. In my state a GOP senator who rolls over for Trump at this point would (will) be vulnerable to both primary challengers and Democratic candidates.

ETA: And what a dispiriting quote. "Congress, you should be a rubber stamp for me because I'm the president." That's got to rub some of them the wrong way.

Last edited by Minoosh; 10th June 2019 at 01:43 PM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 01:44 PM   #1206
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Thanks for digging up the quote. I thought you were saying that Graham told Republicans this. Which would surprise me. Trump doesn't have to care about GOP senators but just ignoring them might not work so great either, because he's asking a lot of them, including signing on to a coverup without knowing exactly what they're covering up. Many disagree with him about Russia and Saudi Arabia, and not just for the sake of disagreeing - they seem to be actually concerned. They're losing face, IMO. Sooner or later something's got to give.

A third of the Senate is in play in the 2020 presidential race. So far they've gone all in with Trump. If that changes, the power dynamics will shift dramatically. It might not even take that much. In my state a GOP senator who rolls over for Trump at this point would (will) be vulnerable to both primary challengers and Democratic candidates.
The problem they face has been brought up before. Most of the more moderate conservatives have left the GOP, leaving it consisting or an overwhelming majority of Trump supporters. In order to run again, they have to get the nomination in the Primaries. So they have to at least allow the Trump line and not rock the boat, at least until primaries are done. Then they'll have to be able to show a more moderate side to win in general elections, because even if Trumpers are a majority in the GOP, they're a minority in the general population.

I suspect we'll see more resistance to Trump by Republicans once primaries are over.
Old 10th June 2019, 02:11 PM   #1207
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
The problem they face has been brought up before. Most of the more moderate conservatives have left the GOP, leaving it consisting or an overwhelming majority of Trump supporters. In order to run again, they have to get the nomination in the Primaries. So they have to at least allow the Trump line and not rock the boat, at least until primaries are done. Then they'll have to be able to show a more moderate side to win in general elections, because even if Trumpers are a majority in the GOP, they're a minority in the general population.

I suspect we'll see more resistance to Trump by Republicans once primaries are over.
More than a year is a long time to stay the course.

I wrote more, but I seem to be stuck on cliches today.

Maybe Trump can use money from the Saudi emergency to pay for the Mexican emergency. Kind of like Iran-Contra.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 06:56 AM   #1208
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Until voters care what does any of this matter? This isn't costing them votes, it isn't losing support from the republican party. They will fold like they folded every other time he ignored the laws they passed.
Quote:
ETA: And what a dispiriting quote. "Congress, you should be a rubber stamp for me because I'm the president." That's got to rub some of them the wrong way.
Assumes they are capable of feeling shame. McConnel certainly isn't.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 06:58 AM   #1209
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Maybe Trump can use money from the Saudi emergency to pay for the Mexican emergency. Kind of like Iran-Contra.
I don't think that works because it isn't the government selling the weapons after all just allowing it. And the wall is way more expensive than this arms sale as well.

Now when the reserves are mobilized to paint it, Trump Sawyer will win the hearts of all veterans. That is what the reserves are clearly for after all.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 07:42 AM   #1210
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

True. It is a good test of what motivates them more: keeping their job or doing what's best for the nation.
Old 11th June 2019, 08:27 AM   #1211
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
True. It is a good test of what motivates them more: keeping their job or doing what's best for the nation.
Like that is even in question.
Old 18th June 2019, 01:23 AM   #1212
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tweets

Next week ICE will begin the process of removing the millions of illegal aliens who have illicitly found their way into the United States. They will be removed as fast as they come in. Mexico, using their strong immigration laws, is doing a very good job of stopping people.......

....long before they get to our Southern Border. Guatemala is getting ready to sign a Safe-Third Agreement. The only ones who won’t do anything are the Democrats in Congress. They must vote to get rid of the loopholes, and fix asylum! If so, Border Crisis will end quickly!
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2019, 01:31 AM   #1213
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

My guess this is just more empty rhetoric: if ICE had a list of millions of "deportables", they would already have taken them away.
Old 18th June 2019, 02:22 AM   #1214
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

"tens of millions", eh? Let's say 30 million. That's 10% of the US population. Imagine of they were real numbers and 30 million people were thrown out of the USA in a short period of time. Hilarity would surely ensue.

Trump is not only exaggerating, he's indulging in playing to his base just before the launch of his re-election campaign. It's all smoke blowing up asses. Fake fumes.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2019, 05:23 AM   #1215
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
My guess this is just more empty rhetoric: if ICE had a list of millions of "deportables", they would already have taken them away.
What does he think ICE does all day?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2019, 05:36 AM   #1216
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump tweets

Mexico, using their strong immigration laws, is doing a very good job of stopping people.......

....long before they get to our Southern Border.

They got a lot done in the past week.
Old 18th June 2019, 05:47 AM   #1217
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Trump tweets

Next week ICE will begin the process of removing the millions of illegal aliens who have illicitly found their way into the United States. They will be removed as fast as they come in. Mexico, using their strong immigration laws, is doing a very good job of stopping people.......

....long before they get to our Southern Border.
Guatemala is getting ready to sign a Safe-Third Agreement. The only ones who won’t do anything are the Democrats in Congress. They must vote to get rid of the loopholes, and fix asylum! If so, Border Crisis will end quickly!
So if it's all working out so well, I guess there is no longer a "National Emergency" at the southern border.

Amirite, Donny?
Old 18th June 2019, 06:06 AM   #1218
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

And it's clear that Mexico has learned the North Korean Lesson: Give Trump some small meaningless concession, and he'll act as if he's won the Superbowl, and all his rhetoric about tariffs or sanctions will disappear like a popped soap bubble.
Old 18th June 2019, 06:34 AM   #1219
carlosy
Thinker

Are you seeing the caravans?

No??

See!

Last edited by carlosy; 18th June 2019 at 06:36 AM.
carlosy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2019, 06:42 AM   #1220
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tweets

....long before they get to our Southern Border. Guatemala is getting ready to sign a Safe-Third Agreement. The only ones who won’t do anything are the Democrats in Congress. They must vote to get rid of the loopholes, and fix asylum! If so, Border Crisis will end quickly!
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
"tens of millions", eh? Let's say 30 million. That's 10% of the US population. Imagine of they were real numbers and 30 million people were thrown out of the USA in a short period of time. Hilarity would surely ensue.

Trump is not only exaggerating, he's indulging in playing to his base just before the launch of his re-election campaign. It's all smoke blowing up asses. Fake fumes.
Assuming Swoop has quoted the tweet correctly, it's just "the millions", not "tens of millions". But your second paragraph is spot on.
Old 18th June 2019, 06:45 AM   #1221
CORed
Philosopher

I found the quote.

I just realized the irony of that statement, since he doesn't know how to fold an umbrella.
Folding an umbrella? He can hire someone to do that.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2019, 08:55 AM   #1222
Mumbles
Philosopher

He's in the habit of bashing some minority group or other whenever he looks particularly weak, and transgendered folks and immigrants are his go-to targets for this.

*shrug*
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2019, 09:17 AM   #1223
Belz...
Fiend God

"tens of millions", eh?
Where did he say that?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2019, 09:55 AM   #1224
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Where did he say that?
He didn't, Norman Alexander just misread it. But the post is correct otherwise.
Old 18th June 2019, 10:07 AM   #1225
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Folding an umbrella? He can hire someone to do that.
Yes, but he'd probably neglect to hire someone to pay them
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2019, 12:21 PM   #1226
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Trump tweets

....and we won't need to waste billions of dollars on my stupid wall!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2019, 02:45 PM   #1227
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Here's the Rolling Stone article on this latest horrible Trump action. Forgive me if it's already been cited.

Why Did Trump Tip Off Immigrants That ICE Will Begin Deporting ‘Millions’ Next Week?

It's worth at least skimming, but it's very depressing.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 18th June 2019 at 02:46 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2019, 02:55 PM   #1228
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Here's the Rolling Stone article on this latest horrible Trump action. Forgive me if it's already been cited.

Why Did Trump Tip Off Immigrants That ICE Will Begin Deporting ‘Millions’ Next Week?

It's worth at least skimming, but it's very depressing.
From the article:
Quote:
So tight-lipped is the administration about ICE’s raids that, in 2018, Trump threatened Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf with criminal charges for revealing that a deportation order was in the works. “I would recommend that you look into obstruction of justice for the mayor of Oakland, California,” the president told reporters in the White House. “She advises thousands of people to get out of here, the law enforcement’s coming. You worked on that long and hard and you got there and there were very few people there. To me that’s obstruction of justice.”
Oh, the sweet, sweet irony.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2019, 05:15 PM   #1229
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Oh, the sweet, sweet irony.
And entirely lost on Donny. Not only is he supremely oblivious to himself all the time, he forgets what he said 10 seconds ago. So how do you expect him to remember or care what he said last year!
Old 27th June 2019, 04:18 AM   #1230
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/26/polit...day/index.html

"National Emergency" yet?

Chris B.
“Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.” President Donald John Trump
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 05:25 AM   #1231
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/26/polit...day/index.html

"National Emergency" yet?

Chris B.
It’s always been a humanitarian crisis. Trump has made it exponentially worse. Not exactly the invasion of rapists and criminals emergency that Trump has been selling to the rubes.

Last edited by Upchurch; 27th June 2019 at 05:29 AM.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 05:32 AM   #1232
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
It’s always been a humanitarian crisis. Trump has made it exponentially worse. Not exactly the invasion of rapists and criminals emergency that Trump has been selling to the rubes.
Trump's policies have made things worse. In this specific instance, the father was denied asylum at a legal port of entry and then tried to cross the border by swimming. Had this man not been turned away at the port, he would not have drowned.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 07:44 AM   #1233
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

There is no emergency. What's left to discuss?
Cool story bro.

Chris B.
“Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.” President Donald John Trump
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 07:47 AM   #1234
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Trump's policies have made things worse. In this specific instance, the father was denied asylum at a legal port of entry and then tried to cross the border by swimming. Had this man not been turned away at the port, he would not have drowned.
Was he denied? He applied and was denied? Source please, only thing I can find is that he was told the office was closed to come back the next day. Now that's way different than what you have said here.

Chris B.
Old 27th June 2019, 07:47 AM   #1235
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Cool story bro.

Chris B.
Hey, cool dig. Only 4 months and 21 pages late, too.
Old 27th June 2019, 07:57 AM   #1236
wareyin
Philosopher

Did anyone see Trump's response to the picture? I don't have a transcript, but the moron blamed Democrats. In his fact-free rambling idiocy, Trump claimed that the Democrats want open borders, and with open borders more people will drown. Leaving aside the 'the results of my policies are the other team's fault', and the stupid misrepresentation of the Democratic position, how exactly would allowing people to cross the border at will cause them to seek out dangerous crossings like swimming rather than safe crossings like the one this father was turned away from?
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 09:41 AM   #1237
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Hey, cool dig. Only 4 months and 21 pages late, too.
One of these things is not like the other.

Chris B.
Old 27th June 2019, 09:47 AM   #1238
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Did anyone see Trump's response to the picture? I don't have a transcript, but the moron blamed Democrats. In his fact-free rambling idiocy, Trump claimed that the Democrats want open borders, and with open borders more people will drown. Leaving aside the 'the results of my policies are the other team's fault', and the stupid misrepresentation of the Democratic position, how exactly would allowing people to cross the border at will cause them to seek out dangerous crossings like swimming rather than safe crossings like the one this father was turned away from?
You mean Trump has the audacity to remind everyone that the humanitarian crisis Democrats claimed did not exist, really does exist after all?

Democrats: "OMG that photo blows our narrative, what do we do now! Quick someone blame Trump!"

Chris B.
Old 27th June 2019, 10:01 AM   #1239
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

You mean Trump has the audacity to remind everyone that the humanitarian crisis Democrats claimed did not exist, really does exist after all?

Democrats: "OMG that photo blows our narrative, what do we do now! Quick someone blame Trump!"

Chris B.
Less people would drown with an open border. Trump's statement didn't make sense was the point.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 10:04 AM   #1240
wareyin
Philosopher

Chris B.
Remind? Trump has manufactured this "crisis". The only crisis this photo tells us is that Trump's policy caused this death.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics