ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags incest , murder incidents , UK incidents

Old 12th November 2019, 10:49 AM   #1
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Incestuous couple murdered their own children

In one of the most gruesome murder cases of recent times a couple from Sheffield, UK, have been found guilty of murdering their two eldest children, Tristan and Blake Barass. They have been given life of 35 years each.

Sarah Barass had six children with her half brother, Brandon Machin.

They planned to kill the children apparently for fear they were to be removed by social workers, as a dysfunctional family.

My question is, how could this have happened when a relative had warned police they were 'born killers', Sarah Barass had begged social services for help and social services themselves had put them on watch way back in the 90's as brother and sister, in I believe an illegal relationship in the UK.

Both Machin and Barass came from traumatic backgrounds.

So, how did they manage to get as far as they did, strangling and suffocating their two smiling popular older sons and attempting to drown one in the bath in the past. The other four children had been administered an overdose of hyperactivity suppressant drugs, but thankfully were rescued in time.

Quote:
A court heard that, prior to the killings, Barrass and Machin had given their four eldest “terrified” children tablets used to treat ADHD against their will. When the tablets did not work, Barrass – who declared: “I gave them life. I can take it away” – searched online for other ways to kill her children, including suffocation, strangulation and drowning.

The court was told Barrass then strangled Tristan with her dressing gown cord and Machin then strangled Blake with his hands.

The pair also tried to kill one of the younger children by attempting to drown them in a bath.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ailed-for-life

Someone help me out. How can this have happened?
Or will you stop once and wonder
What you're doing it for. ~ Nick Drake
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2019, 11:08 AM   #2
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Quote:
“The officers found Sarah Barrass barricaded in a room with the four surviving children. She lied to the officers, telling them that her two other children were with neighbours.

“However whilst she was saying this to police, one of the children motioned to the police officer that in fact the children were dead – he moved his hand across his throat. Sarah Barrass told the child to stop what he was doing and stated: ‘Stop, don’t say that.’”
The two older of the surviving children at least are going to need some serious help over the next several years.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2019, 11:36 AM   #3
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
My question is, how could this have happened when a relative had warned police they were 'born killers'...
I'm not really sure what this means. What are police supposed to do with this "information?"
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2019, 11:57 AM   #4
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
I'm not really sure what this means. What are police supposed to do with this "information?"
Her brother, Martyn, claims he witnessed the children being ill-treated and he rang social service three times.

Quote:
Martyn, who lives in Wirral, Merseyside, now says the deaths could have been prevented if social services had acted on his warnings.

'EVIL SINCE BIRTH'
He told the Sunday Mirror: "Those two have been evil since birth. They are both as bad as each other, they are both murdering, evil psychopaths.

“I witnessed Brandon’s violence towards Blake years ago and I knew something wasn’t right. I visited them when Tristan was still in his pushchair and Blake was only a toddler – he must have been three or four.

"We were out walking when Brandon grabbed Blake’s arm really roughly and dragged him across the floor.

"It was enough to know something wasn’t right, so I called social services and asked them to look into it. If they had, the boys might still be here today.”

He says that he made three calls to social services in around 2009 or 2010 but says he felt as if he was “ignored”.
I think when people witness small children being brutalised, their report should be investigated.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2019, 12:04 PM   #5
Shadowdweller
Muse

I realize "humanity", but the logic of killing your children because you're worried they'll be taken away from you since a trifle...off.
Shadowdweller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2019, 12:05 PM   #6
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
Better question. Where did that notion come from? It does not appear in the linked article. How does OP know what or even if any relative told police about anything?

I cross checked the corresponding daily fail and torygraph articles and they don't have it either. Where OP is getting that factoid from is a mystery.

Of course, your point still stands. Even if true there is nothing the police can legally do absent some crime.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2019, 12:29 PM   #7
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Shadowdweller View Post
I realize "humanity", but the logic of killing your children because you're worried they'll be taken away from you since a trifle...off.
Perhaps even more improbable is that they spun the six kids, the oldest of whom was fourteen (Tristan), a tale that their 'real father' had 'died in WWII'.

Do the math.
Old 12th November 2019, 02:16 PM   #8
Shadowdweller
Muse

Perhaps even more improbable is that they spun the six kids, the oldest of whom was fourteen (Tristan), a tale that their 'real father' had 'died in WWII'.

Do the math.
Heh. Classy people.
Shadowdweller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2019, 04:29 PM   #9
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Better question. Where did that notion come from? It does not appear in the linked article. How does OP know what or even if any relative told police about anything?

I cross checked the corresponding daily fail and torygraph articles and they don't have it either. Where OP is getting that factoid from is a mystery.

Of course, your point still stands. Even if true there is nothing the police can legally do absent some crime.

No mystery to me.

https://extra.ie/2019/11/04/news/wor...-sarah-barrass

...her brother Martyn Barrass has said he warned social services around ten years ago that the boys were at risk.

He may not have told the police, be he claims to have warned social services multiple times.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2019, 07:29 PM   #10
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Do the math.
Maybe he died very slowly?
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2019, 07:36 PM   #11
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Even if true there is nothing the police can legally do absent some crime.

Social Services (or its equivalent in other nations) has broad authority to investigate allegations and ask courts to issue orders protecting children. The bar for such evidence is much lower than that of a crime.

As to how this eluded authorities, I have no knowledge of the facts that would lead me to any conclusion.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 07:00 AM   #12
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
Social Services (or its equivalent in other nations) has broad authority to investigate allegations and ask courts to issue orders protecting children. The bar for such evidence is much lower than that of a crime.
Sure, I fully understand that. Nevertheless, the OP claim was that the brother reported it to the police. I can find no reference for that claim made in the OP.

Indeed the brother claims that he complained or raised concerns three times in 2009/2010 to social services, not the police. If he had complained to the police, then they could do nothing about it anyway beyond handing it on to social services themselves, and he never claimed to have done so anyway.

As to how this eluded authorities, I have no knowledge of the facts that would lead me to any conclusion.
Absolutely. Nevertheless, one can at least put oneself in the position of social services. They would have had a caller making allegations of fact about potential future events. The accusee was already at that point interacting with social services already anyway. What exactly are they supposed to do at that point? Interact more vigourously? Blindly accept any call as factually correct?

This couple were actively concealing the fact that all six children were their own progeny, and actively portraying the image of a single mother of six doing her best with the support of her loyal brother. Social Services are required to live up to standards. Mind reading is not one of those standards. Prosecution of thought crime is not one of those standards.

One cannot a priori lock someone up for something that they might do at some future point. And it is ridiculous to hurl accusations that it should have been done given current information. Nobody has a magic crystal ball.

abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 07:12 AM   #13
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Do the math.
And that is another oddity. My youngest is 14. There is no way in hell I could get away with spinning an unlikely tale like that.

Old 13th November 2019, 07:24 AM   #14
3point14
Pi

And that is another oddity. My youngest is 14. There is no way in hell I could get away with spinning an unlikely tale like that.
Yeah, but your 14 year old was raised by you.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 07:36 AM   #15
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I heard the Hallmark Channel was taking a new direction with Xmas movies now that Aunt Becky's criming all the time, but I hadn't realized they were going to get this interesting.
Old 13th November 2019, 10:05 AM   #16
Seismosaurus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Shadowdweller View Post
It makes sense if one considers the children as possessions and has the attitude of "if I can't have them, nobody can".
Old 13th November 2019, 10:20 AM   #17
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Seismosaurus View Post
It makes sense if one considers the children as possessions and has the attitude of "if I can't have them, nobody can".
Could also be a misguided attempt to save their souls. I don't have enough info to say. Same with how did the authorities not act to stop them.

Its possible that the brother didn't actually make the reports he claims*, its possible he did but the bureacrats dropped the ball, its possible they were investigated and they managed to hide their crazy long enough to fool the social workers. I just don't know.

*There is likely a lot of guilt that would influence him to misremember, it is absolutely possible that he honestly believes he made reports when all he really did was think about making such reports.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 01:28 PM   #18
Loss Leader

The accusee was already at that point interacting with social services already anyway. What exactly are they supposed to do at that point? Interact more vigourously? Blindly accept any call as factually correct?

This couple were actively concealing the fact that all six children were their own progeny, and actively portraying the image of a single mother of six doing her best with the support of her loyal brother. Social Services are required to live up to standards. Mind reading is not one of those standards.

Clearly, your knowledge of the circumstances overshadows mine. Thank you for the information.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 02:04 PM   #19
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Yeah, but your 14 year old was raised by you.
Point conceded.

Old 13th November 2019, 02:33 PM   #20
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Clearly, your knowledge of the circumstances overshadows mine. Thank you for the information.
Was that sarcasm? Nothing I posted is in any way controversial. Were the couple engaged in an illicit incestuous relationship? Yes. Had the couple produced six children? Yes. Did the couple conceal the nature of that family unit? Yes. Did the couple portray the role of the tragic single mother of six supported by a devoted brother? Yes. Did the couple conspire to kill all six children? Yes. Did the couple succeed in the case of the two eldest? Yes. Did the wife attempt to drown the next eldest? Yes. Did that child survive? Yes, by fighting back.

None of this is disputed.

Old 13th November 2019, 03:09 PM   #21
NWO Sentryman
Proud NWO Gatekeeper

I expected this to be something in the Deep South, not the UK.
Old 13th November 2019, 04:45 PM   #22
Shadowdweller
Muse

Originally Posted by NWO Sentryman View Post
I expected this to be something in the Deep South, not the UK.
Stupidity knows no boundaries.
Old 13th November 2019, 05:32 PM   #23
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Don't know if there is much to be learned from this except how hopelessly screwed up people can be.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 06:29 PM   #24
Loss Leader

Was that sarcasm?

No, it was not sarcasm. When someone demonstrates knowledge that I don't have, I'm grateful for the education.

Has discourse on this forum fallen so far that actual compliments are seen as attacks?

L. Leader
Old 14th November 2019, 12:46 AM   #25
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

This couple were actively concealing the fact that all six children were their own progeny, and actively portraying the image of a single mother of six doing her best with the support of her loyal brother. Social Services are required to live up to standards. Mind reading is not one of those standards. Prosecution of thought crime is not one of those standards.
I wonder how they managed to pull that off for so long.

That's one very loyal brother!

Also, you might get away with telling small children that their father died in World War 2, but I don't see how that story would fool other adults. Does Social Services not ask basic questions about who the father is and where he is, or is that considered too private to pry into?
Old 14th November 2019, 12:49 AM   #26
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Maybe he died very slowly?
Or he was a time traveler!
Old 14th November 2019, 01:21 AM   #27
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

There is not, as far as I can see, a single mitigating factor in this really dreadful case, but I have heard him (the children's father) referred to as the 'half-brother'. That usually means one shared parent, but could possibly mean unrelated parents. At least that would make the children not the result of siblings from same parents.

I think the case is even more horrific considering the ages of the oldest children. Did the schools notice nothing? But I'm not expecting an answer to that, the fear of their parents could well have been enough for the children to be careful not to reveal anything of the home circumstances.
SusanB-M1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2019, 01:45 AM   #28
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SusanB-M1 View Post
There is not, as far as I can see, a single mitigating factor in this really dreadful case, but I have heard him (the children's father) referred to as the 'half-brother'. That usually means one shared parent, but could possibly mean unrelated parents. At least that would make the children not the result of siblings from same parents.
I believe I read that they had the same mother, hence half siblings.
Old 14th November 2019, 01:45 AM   #29
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

No, it was not sarcasm. When someone demonstrates knowledge that I don't have, I'm grateful for the education.

Has discourse on this forum fallen so far that actual compliments are seen as attacks?
Unfortunately, yes.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2019, 01:55 AM   #30
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SusanB-M1 View Post

I think the case is even more horrific considering the ages of the oldest children. Did the schools notice nothing? But I'm not expecting an answer to that, the fear of their parents could well have been enough for the children to be careful not to reveal anything of the home circumstances.
Machin and Barrass share the same mother.

Apparently she was aged six when she was taken into care as their mother was an alcoholic.

Social Services were alert to the fact there was a a sexual relationship between brother and sister when one of them was age sixteen (I think he is four years older). So straight away they are alerted that what they are doing is taboo and illegal. So they were forced to enter a world of great secrecy ('us against the world') as they carried on their relationship. This meant his having to creep in and out to avoid giving the impression he lived there. No doubt she was claiming benefits as a 'single mum with six kids' as an added reason for furtiveness.

When one of the kids, I believe, Blake, was to be investigated for alleged sexual harassment of someone, the parents panicked thinking their cover was about to be blown and that was when they hatched their murder plan. Motivation: great fear of being found out in their conspiracy to breach society's incest taboos and their children removed. The mother did change her mind and call the police to give her some credit. However, now the other children have to grow up with the stigma of being the product of incest and their parents murderers and grandmother negligent and alcoholic.

I'm a great believer in people taking responsibility for their own actions and of course, the parents are 100% culpable and not the social workers. However, perhaps they could have been a little more aware that the sexual relationship between the two might have been continuing in secret, especially with him playing 'Uncle Brandon' in such a conspicuous way. In addition, even the neighbours said they hadn't even been aware of all the children.

IMV it is terribly sad that these kids had zero safety net. The brother who reported his sister to social services after witnessing child cruelty should have been taken more seriously perhaps.
Old 15th November 2019, 01:39 PM   #31
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
I wonder how they managed to pull that off for so long.

That's one very loyal brother!

Also, you might get away with telling small children that their father died in World War 2, but I don't see how that story would fool other adults. Does Social Services not ask basic questions about who the father is and where he is, or is that considered too private to pry into?
We don't know those mechanics. Nevertheless, since they were in a position to indoctrinate the kids from birth, they could have come up with any cover story as to why it must not be mentioned. They could even have admitted to telling that lie to the kids to avoid any conversations about the supposedly absent father. Thus Social Services would be cautious about exposing that lie.

All speculation, of course, but it is not difficult to see any number of ways it could be concealed and/or avoided.

Old 15th November 2019, 01:41 PM   #32
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Sarcasm is not of necessity, a compliment or not a complement. It is also difficult to discern from plain text. Thus mistakes will inevitably be made. Pardon my caution. I meant nothing by it.

Old 15th November 2019, 01:53 PM   #33
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Machin and Barrass share the same mother.

Apparently she was aged six when she was taken into care as their mother was an alcoholic.

Social Services were alert to the fact there was a a sexual relationship between brother and sister when one of them was age sixteen (I think he is four years older). So straight away they are alerted that what they are doing is taboo and illegal. So they were forced to enter a world of great secrecy ('us against the world') as they carried on their relationship. This meant his having to creep in and out to avoid giving the impression he lived there. No doubt she was claiming benefits as a 'single mum with six kids' as an added reason for furtiveness.

When one of the kids, I believe, Blake, was to be investigated for alleged sexual harassment of someone, the parents panicked thinking their cover was about to be blown and that was when they hatched their murder plan. Motivation: great fear of being found out in their conspiracy to breach society's incest taboos and their children removed. The mother did change her mind and call the police to give her some credit. However, now the other children have to grow up with the stigma of being the product of incest and their parents murderers and grandmother negligent and alcoholic.

I'm a great believer in people taking responsibility for their own actions and of course, the parents are 100% culpable and not the social workers. However, perhaps they could have been a little more aware that the sexual relationship between the two might have been continuing in secret, especially with him playing 'Uncle Brandon' in such a conspicuous way. In addition, even the neighbours said they hadn't even been aware of all the children.

IMV it is terribly sad that these kids had zero safety net. The brother who reported his sister to social services after witnessing child cruelty should have been taken more seriously perhaps.
The brother made the report in 2009 and again in 2010. There were not 6 kids at that point, and the ones already born would have been too young to be useful to any investigation. And his reports were not about child cruelty, but about child cruelty that could potentially happen in the future based on his assessment of their mental state. Hard to make any case out of that.

Old 15th November 2019, 02:19 PM   #34
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

The brother made the report in 2009 and again in 2010. There were not 6 kids at that point, and the ones already born would have been too young to be useful to any investigation. And his reports were not about child cruelty, but about child cruelty that could potentially happen in the future based on his assessment of their mental state. Hard to make any case out of that.
He claims he saw one of the kids (Blake, I believe) being dragged by his arm across the floor by the mother whilst the older or younger kid was about three or four. He claims he was so upset he called social services.
Old 15th November 2019, 04:45 PM   #35
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

He claims he saw one of the kids (Blake, I believe) being dragged by his arm across the floor by the mother whilst the older or younger kid was about three or four. He claims he was so upset he called social services.
I claim that I have seen you eat puppies and kittens while still alive.

Should that claim be taken seriously in any way?

Do you understand that point at all?

Would you be in any way put out if I made such a claim to the RSPCA and they came to your home and asked for an inspection?

What if you had children and I made that claim to social services about your children? Would you be OK with that?

What if you were not doing that at all, but had other skeletons in the closet that you really did not want reveal, even though those were different things altogether?

What if none of it was true at all, but social services took your children? Would you be OK with that? Even though I was making it all up?

The simple fact is that police, social services, GP's whoever, get false claims all the time. They have to pick which are most urgent and most plausible. It's called triage.

Your actual problem is that you are examining the events through the lens of your own morality. You forget that these people were using an entirely different lens. One you will not trouble yourself to peer through. You think your lens is the only lens.

And that is the difference between us. I can feel empathy for the tragic circumstances that led to this horrendous outcome. I can empathise, with how this awfulness led to the murders. How it escalated to the point it did, and it grieves me that it should ever come to that point. Does that mean I condone it? Absolutely not. But you will inevitably pretend that I am an apologist for these events, so let me circumvent that nonsense.

The murderers deserve everything the law can hurl at them. Their actions over many years are unacceptable and must be pursued to the full extent of the law. In my view, they should never see the light of day ever again. Is that clear to you?

The real problem here is that you are claiming to have no empathy whatsoever. The mom and dad engaged in a serial sexual relationship because an uncaring system gave them no out. Where were they to go? Where were they to turn? Except each other. Why did they end up there? Because the were the product, through no fault of their own, of disfunctional parents. Mother an alcoholic, father vanished. So they were taken into care. But in those times, taken into care meant something very different from what it means now. So they had little option but to cling to the little contact they had. And that developed into something more. That is natural. A response to adverse circumstance.

That this developed further is not really surprising. So sprogs happened. Not surprising either. So the nature of the family unit eventually became clear. Not surprising either.

You, on the other hand, present yourself as having no empathy at all. And that just enlarges the tragedy of the whole situation.

And you don't care.

Old 15th November 2019, 07:17 PM   #36
Shadowdweller
Muse

Oh come on, EVERYBODY eats puppies and kittens while still alive. It's more trouble than it's worth if you're dead.

Yeah, ok, please don't smite me

Last edited by Shadowdweller; 15th November 2019 at 07:18 PM.
Old 16th November 2019, 08:35 AM   #37
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Should that claim be taken seriously in any way?

Do you understand that point at all?

Would you be in any way put out if I made such a claim to the RSPCA and they came to your home and asked for an inspection?

What if you had children and I made that claim to social services about your children? Would you be OK with that?

What if you were not doing that at all, but had other skeletons in the closet that you really did not want reveal, even though those were different things altogether?

What if none of it was true at all, but social services took your children? Would you be OK with that? Even though I was making it all up?

The simple fact is that police, social services, GP's whoever, get false claims all the time. They have to pick which are most urgent and most plausible. It's called triage.

Your actual problem is that you are examining the events through the lens of your own morality. You forget that these people were using an entirely different lens. One you will not trouble yourself to peer through. You think your lens is the only lens.

And that is the difference between us. I can feel empathy for the tragic circumstances that led to this horrendous outcome. I can empathise, with how this awfulness led to the murders. How it escalated to the point it did, and it grieves me that it should ever come to that point. Does that mean I condone it? Absolutely not. But you will inevitably pretend that I am an apologist for these events, so let me circumvent that nonsense.

The murderers deserve everything the law can hurl at them. Their actions over many years are unacceptable and must be pursued to the full extent of the law. In my view, they should never see the light of day ever again. Is that clear to you?

The real problem here is that you are claiming to have no empathy whatsoever. The mom and dad engaged in a serial sexual relationship because an uncaring system gave them no out. Where were they to go? Where were they to turn? Except each other. Why did they end up there? Because the were the product, through no fault of their own, of disfunctional parents. Mother an alcoholic, father vanished. So they were taken into care. But in those times, taken into care meant something very different from what it means now. So they had little option but to cling to the little contact they had. And that developed into something more. That is natural. A response to adverse circumstance.

That this developed further is not really surprising. So sprogs happened. Not surprising either. So the nature of the family unit eventually became clear. Not surprising either.

You, on the other hand, present yourself as having no empathy at all. And that just enlarges the tragedy of the whole situation.

And you don't care.
Can you stop personalising your messages? Nothing to do with whether I have empathy or not. Social workers having become aware of a relationship between half-brother and sister should have had the insight to suspect it would go underground once they had alerted the couple of their knowledge of it. The six children according to what was said in court were 'planned'. IOW this couple were knowingly cocking a snook at society's norms, messing with their kids' minds, claiming benefits as 'a single mum with six kids' and actually murdered two of them, cruelly tried to drown another in the bath and attempted to poison the other three.

Sure, they had problems but having alcoholic parents is zero excuse.
Old 16th November 2019, 10:00 AM   #38
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Can you stop personalising your messages? Nothing to do with whether I have empathy or not.
Sure. Can you stop making it all about you and your bragged understanding of anything.

Social workers having become aware of a relationship between half-brother and sister should have had the insight to suspect it would go underground once they had alerted the couple of their knowledge of it. The six children according to what was said in court were 'planned'. IOW this couple were knowingly cocking a snook at society's norms, messing with their kids' minds, claiming benefits as 'a single mum with six kids' and actually murdered two of them, cruelly tried to drown another in the bath and attempted to poison the other three.
Ah, you have magically developed 20/20 hindsight. How...grown up.

Sure, they had problems but having alcoholic parents is zero excuse.
But a broken upbringing is a causal factor. Do not even attempt to pretend it is not.

Old 16th November 2019, 10:31 AM   #39
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Sure. Can you stop making it all about you and your bragged understanding of anything.

Ah, you have magically developed 20/20 hindsight. How...grown up.

But a broken upbringing is a causal factor. Do not even attempt to pretend it is not.
A broken upbringing does not cause psychopathy. 50% of marriages these days can expect to end in divorce, if there is even a marriage at all.

Yes, early age childhood abuse has been shown to be a factor in the development of personality disorder. For example, child-killer Mary Bell was hired out as a toddler by her prostitute mother; Charles Manson was similarly subjected to deprivation and abuse. There seems little doubt to me that the mother at least has a serious borderline personality disorder (i.e., an asocial criminal psychopath). Machin seems to have been at her beck and call (rather like Joanna Dennehey's helpful male accomplices). She rang him up to let him know her forcing her kids to take crushed up pills at bedtime to kill them hadn't worked, as per their premeditated plan to murder their children, and he accordingly came round to help with strangling Blake after she had strangled Tristan with a dressing gown cord It was the mother who held another child under the water in the bath but who managed to escape. When she called police, this evil woman tried to blame the murders on Machin.

Dennehey came from a normal middle class home in St Albans. Sure, Barrass may have been so psychologically damaged at a young age by her dysfunctional home that she was at an arrested emotional development ( a sociopath) but then again she might have been simply born that way.

Those poor kids had no safety net, whereas at least in theory she had social workers keeping a beady eye on her, which for some reason they had stopped doing.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events