ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags lawsuits

Old 31st March 2010, 04:59 AM   #1
Scott Sommers
Illuminator

Law suits, petitions, and private investigations

We all know that Lawyers for 911 Truth has collapsed in the abyss. But there have still been a number of lawsuits launched by Truthers, as well as the petitions. What have they all been? And what about that tribunal, or whatever it should be called, that Jones and his gang were involved with?
I've seen it here and in several other places that there is no Illuminati. That doesn't even make sense. There's a Wikipedia entry that talks about it. I'm not saying that everything on Wikipedia is true, but if you read it, it's just really clear how the Illuminati controls the world.
Scott Sommers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2010, 11:44 AM   #2
Arus808
Philosopher

Originally Posted by scott.in.taiwan View Post
We all know that Lawyers for 911 Truth has collapsed in the abyss. But there have still been a number of lawsuits launched by Truthers, as well as the petitions. What have they all been? And what about that tribunal, or whatever it should be called, that Jones and his gang were involved with?

the only thing I can give the "birther" movement credit on is that individuals have gone on to file lawsuits challenging the eligibility of Obama. 67 of them filed in 2 years (and all 67 dismissed due to standing).

The birthers have outdone the 911 truth movement 67 times...not one lawsuite, filed in 10 years.

“Life may begin at 30, but it doesn’t get real interesting until about 150.”
“Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.”
Arus808 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2010, 02:36 PM   #3
BigAl
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Arus808 View Post
the only thing I can give the "birther" movement credit on is that individuals have gone on to file lawsuits challenging the eligibility of Obama. 67 of them filed in 2 years (and all 67 dismissed due to standing).

The birthers have outdone the 911 truth movement 67 times...not one lawsuite, filed in 10 years.
Do you happen to have a citation for that number handy?
Dept of Redundancy Dept.
BigAl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2010, 02:45 PM   #4
Arus808
Philosopher

correction 68 cases brought to challenge Obama's eligibility (only 3 were directed at Obama); 66 dismissed; 2 are pending (1 is in appeal, 1 was just filed in February)

http://tesibria.typepad.com/whats_yo...ASE%20LIST.pdf

Courtesy of Politijab.com

“Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.”
Arus808 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2010, 03:05 PM   #5
HannibalGroup
Thinker

Didn't Judy Wood and Jerry Leapheart file a suit or two? (Before he ended up in prison.)
HannibalGroup is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2010, 03:15 PM   #6
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by HannibalGroup View Post
Didn't Judy Wood and Jerry Leapheart file a suit or two? (Before he ended up in prison.)
Prison?

Say what?
Old 31st March 2010, 03:30 PM   #7
HannibalGroup
Thinker

Originally Posted by 16.5 View Post
Prison?

Say what?
I read somewhere that Leapheart was convicted of 'cyber-stalking' a minor or some such.

At any rate, didn't he and Judy file some suits? (And failed gloriously?)
HannibalGroup is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2010, 04:01 PM   #8
Arus808
Philosopher

The Wood-Qui Tam case? I think she filed directly to the Supreme court (and in her case it was her AND the United States of America as plaintiffs), but it was dismissed unilaterally (it was about DEW weapons) - I really wouldn't count it as a "court" case because for one thing, SHE cannot file on behalf of the US.

Old 31st March 2010, 05:29 PM   #9
Edx
Philosopher

Didn't Rodriguez file one? I know it was dismissed but they still tried, right? Or did the Birthers ones actually get to court?
Edx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2010, 10:50 PM   #10
Arus808
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Edx View Post
Didn't Rodriguez file one? I know it was dismissed but they still tried, right? Or did the Birthers ones actually get to court?
many were able to get to court and actually stand in front of a judge (Orly Taitz lawsuits, Mario Apuzzo, Phil Berg, etc) to argue their merits. some were dismissed just based on the claims of the filings; still Birthers got farther than any 9/11 truther have.

Old 1st April 2010, 09:59 PM   #11
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Don't forget the spectacular failure of April Gallop's truthy lawsuit.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=170182
Old 2nd April 2010, 12:13 AM   #12
LashL
Goddess of Legaltainment™

Originally Posted by HannibalGroup View Post
Didn't Judy Wood and Jerry Leapheart file a suit or two?

Yes, Leaphart represented Wood in a failed lawsuit that didn't make it past a motion to dismiss at first instance, and subsequent appeals were summarily dismissed as well.

Leaphart simultaneously represented Morgan Reynolds in a similar lawsuit, which also didn't make it past a motion to dismiss at first instance, and Reynolds (whether recognizing the futility of it or whether recognizing that Leaphart's acting for both of them at the same time had actually undermined both of their claims - who knows?) did not appeal.

In any event, both of those ludicrous and factually baseless lawsuits were dismissed with prejudice at the same time (June 26, 2008) because (a) the plaintiffs were not entitled to bring the actions as pleaded, and (b) even if jurisdiction had been established, the pleadings drafted by Leaphart were so lacking that they were wholly insufficient to ground the claims made within them. Much like the insufficient pleadings in the recent April Gallop claim that was dismissed, the pleadings on behalf of Wood and Reynolds failed to even make sufficient factual allegations to support their claims, even in light of the low threshold on such a motion to dismiss.

[There was also another action related to the Wood and Reynolds actions with a plaintiff named Edward Haas, which was dismissed at the same time as the Wood and Reynolds actions, but I can't recall off the top of my head whether it was Leaphart who acted for him, and I can't be bothered to look at the moment.]

Originally Posted by Edx View Post
Didn't Rodriguez file one? I know it was dismissed but they still tried, right?

Yes, Rodriguez filed a complaint in 2004. His claims were different than (but just as ludicrous as) those later made by Wood and Reynolds. You're quite right that Rodriguez's lawsuit was dismissed, despite Rodriguez's dishonest claims to the contrary. And prior to Rodriguez's failed lawsuit, Philip Berg (who acted for Rodriguez) had brought another batcraptastic claim on behalf of Ellen Mariani, which also failed miserably.

There have also been some other one-off lawsuits by various and sundry other delusional truthers, but none of them have ever made it past motions to dismiss. Just like the birther claims.

Originally Posted by orphia nay View Post
Don't forget the spectacular failure of April Gallop's truthy lawsuit.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=170182

Indeed, and April 1 would have been the perfect day for an announcement of the filing of an appeal of that particular piece of nonsense but, alas, it didn't happen. Too bad, really, but one can always hope that further Legaltainment™ will ensue.
LashL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2010, 12:44 AM   #13
alienentity
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Arus808 View Post

Apparently about 45% of Republicans believe that Obama wasn't born in the USA. Just demonstrates the adage about repeating a lie enough times, don't it?

That's why these truther claims need to be resisted. Trouncing them in court is one great way.
alienentity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2010, 11:58 PM   #14
Arus808
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alienentity View Post
Apparently about 45% of Republicans believe that Obama wasn't born in the USA. Just demonstrates the adage about repeating a lie enough times, don't it?
and its really funny how the Republican candidates in several states, who made comments on Obama's birth eligibility one moment, retract their statements the next.

Quote:
That's why these truther claims need to be resisted. Trouncing them in court is one great way.
we've already had a court case; Mossaoui. that is the only court case that should matter.

Like birthers, Truthers would only clog the judicial system with frivolous and merit-less cases.

If birthers are told 67 times that they have NO STANDING and they keep on filing cases anyway, what do you think the truthers would do (not that they've been doing anything anyway), even when they are told "the govt was not involved, get a freaking life"

Old 7th April 2010, 10:57 AM   #15
alienentity
Illuminator

Here's the doc for the dismissal of Judy Wood's Qui Tam case

http://origin.www.supremecourtus.gov/docket/09-548.htm
alienentity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2015, 11:21 AM   #16
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LashL View Post
...And prior to Rodriguez's failed lawsuit, Philip Berg (who acted for Rodriguez) had brought another batcraptastic claim on behalf of Ellen Mariani, which also failed miserably. ...
While searching ae911truth.org for the string "legal team", I happened upon a somewhat older story, where, in Oct 2012, Gage supported a call for donations to Ellen Mariani's legal team - attorney Bruce Leichty.

The history of that fund and legaltainment is documented here:
https://marianilawsuit.wordpress.com

The story has been mentioned in at least one other thread.

I can't summarize at this time what Mariani's appeal was all about. Just browsing a side issue:
On April 19, 2012, Mariani's counsel Leichty submitted this "motion to supplement the record with new evidence showing significant conflicts of interest on the part of Judge Hellerstein...". New "information" implicating a conflict of interest because the judge's son has business ties to Israel are listed particularly in items 6.-10. (pages 6-8).
This lead to a court ruling in May 2013 that was a major smack in Leichty's butt:
Originally Posted by Hall and Carney, 2nd Circuit Judges
We have now reviewed their submissions , as well as the totality of their behavior in this case, in particular with respect to their Motion to Supplement the Record (the “Motion”). For the reasons set forth below, we invoke the inherent power of this Court and impose sanctions in the form of double costs jointly and severally on Appellant Ellen Mariani and her counsel, Bruce Leichty.
In deciding Mariani’s second appeal, we became deeply concerned by two aspects of the case as framed by Mariani’s counsel Bruce Leichty. First was its apparent frivolousness. ... In appealing once again to this Court, Mariani persisted in making arguments that we had clearly rejected, and others that were irrelevant.
Our other concern with Mariani’s second appeal was the disturbing manner in which she and her counsel prosecuted it. We noted, in particular, the “discreditable tone” of her filings. ... We also wrote that her briefs featured “an escalating series of ad hominem attacks on opposing counsel and bombastic challenges to the integrity of the district court,”..., which culminated with the particularly offensive Motion to Supplement the Record to introduce “newly-discovered evidence” of the district court’s alleged partiality. ... This purported “evidence” consisted of little more than a series of offensive insinuations, unmistakably anti-Semitic, about Judge Hellerstein, his family members, their professional work and some of their personal charitable activities.
We therefore ordered Mariani and her counsel to show cause why they should not be sanctioned in the amount of double costs.
In the Analysis that follows, the judges reference the Gallup vs. Cheney lawsuit, which resulted in Attorney William Veale being fined a substantial amount of money.

They sum up Leichty's "new evidence" nicely:
Originally Posted by Hall and Carney, 2nd Circuit Judges
Leichty’s main argument is, in sum, that Judge Hellerstein is partial to defendants and must recuse himself because his adult son, an attorney, at one point was employed by a law firm in Israel that at some time represented two companies that might have an indirect connection to some of this case’s defendants. He also makes reference to certain religiously-oriented philanthropic activities of the family, which he says evince partiality. ... Leichty’s argument that such an attenuated chain of relationships calls Judge Hellerstein’s impartiality into question is patently frivolous. In filing this motion, Leichty had to know that he was proceeding “without the slightest chance of success.” ...
In fact, on closer observation, Leichty’s real argument is that Judge Hellerstein cannot be impartial because he is Jewish. The papers filed in support of the Motion reflect anti-Semitism in a raw and ugly form. For a private citizen to make such spurious and offensive suggestions is bad enough. For an attorney admitted to this Court to make them in court pleadings is unpardonable.
Wow!

You will certainly not be surprised to learn that Leichy is a buddy and fan of Christopher Bollyn.

Gage calling for donations to fund an anti-semitic lawyer? What a bad bad world this Truthdom is!
Oystein is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2017, 06:02 AM   #17
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Resurrecting an old thread because I stumbled, belatedly, on an organisation devoted to legal action on 9/11 and doing a petition: I am talking about the "Lawyers' Committee for 9/11 Inquiry", tax-free 501(c)(3) incorporation. I have yet to figure out how long this outfit has been around. I found them as I came across a new petition on change.org, which I will follow in another, more appropriate thread (URL to follow).

Of the Board members, I recognize the name William Jacoby, who has been mentioned by AE911T sometimes.

They are trying to collect a whopping US$ 800,000 - I shall watch them fail. At fundraising, I mean.

Overall, it is rather unclear what they will fail at, for their goals and strategies are too all-encompassing and vague. No specific course of action proposed, as far as I can tell from a quick glance.

ETA:
The domain for this group has been created in July 2016:
http://whois.domaintools.com/lawyers...-11inquiry.org

First time archived on archive.org on Nov 01, 2016:
https://web-beta.archive.org/web/201...-11inquiry.org

Last edited by Oystein; 26th March 2017 at 06:33 AM.
Oystein is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2017, 04:35 PM   #18
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
Resurrecting an old thread because I stumbled, belatedly, on an organisation devoted to legal action on 9/11 and doing a petition:.........................
At least they're realistic. They set the petition goal to 1000.

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2017, 01:11 PM   #19
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DGM View Post
At least they're realistic. They set the petition goal to 1000.
No, they didn't. That's an automatism set by change.org. Once a petition exceeds 1000, the system will automatically assign some next near goal (2000? 1500?), and so forth, to always make it look as if the petition is on a good course.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories