ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old Today, 12:40 PM   #801
Dipayan
Muse

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Oh FFS stop it! You're behaving like a prat now. That artwork has been around since 2008. I have seen it used for all sorts of things including avatars that have nothing to do with either the band or bigfoot.

People choose avatars for all sorts of reason, I don't believe for a second that Jodie chose this one to have a dig at black people.
I apologize.

I would just submit that this has been yet another justification of Poe's Law.

I will take my leave now and lurk for another year or so.

Last edited by Dipayan; Today at 12:42 PM.
Dipayan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:31 PM   #802
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Dipayan View Post
Wearing a white wizard hat during the Semana Santa is one thing, and it's another when you walk into a black neighbourhood with one on.
Is this thread now presumed to have an ethnic or cultural alignment?

My roommate recently told me that I am not allowed to argue (i.e. disagree) with non-white people on her facebook page (really her wall, and really even then her posts that appear in other people's feeds) because it is a "Native space."

People have some weird ideas about ownership of "space" on the internet.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:20 PM   #803
MostlyDead
Graduate Poster

Then thank god nobody said that Jodie did!

But if this thread was about me getting offended with Jodie's avatar, I wonder if Jodie's POV on it would have mirrored their stated perspective on the banana incident.
I apologize.

I would just submit that this has been yet another justification of Poe's Law.

I will take my leave now and lurk for another year or so.
Aw, come on man! You got mowed down while I was at work? Where's your stamina, Dipayan?

Thought this was what you were up to, and was ready to play. You sledgehammered it on your first post though. Ease in next time and crank it up gradually.
Old Today, 06:31 PM   #804
MostlyDead
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Is this thread now presumed to have an ethnic or cultural alignment?

My roommate recently told me that I am not allowed to argue (i.e. disagree) with non-white people on her facebook page (really her wall, and really even then her posts that appear in other people's feeds) because it is a "Native space."

People have some weird ideas about ownership of "space" on the internet.
Space, words, dress, ideology, abstractions...the lines are being drawn clearer every day.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events