IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th March 2017, 08:30 PM   #1561
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Yes, exactly my point.
Are you kidding? You think Milo Yiannopoulos entertaining a roomful of conservatives for a couple of hours is a greater threat to our way of life and our freedoms than the masked guys running around setting fires, breaking things and bloodying people's faces?

How are you better than what you oppose?
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2017, 08:58 PM   #1562
Joe Random
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Do you know why caveman is claiming that they did not shut down the speech because they disagreed with milo?
Option 1) puberty hurts

Option 2) burning **** is fun

Option 3) to feed an infantile narrative that smashing windows, setting fires, and shouting down speakers is totally progressive, man

I don't think I've agreed with many, if any, actual position points Milo has given. I want him to be able to make them, however, for all the reasons put forth in the thread so far. For however enlightened I think my views are, if they can't stand up against mere dissenting opinion then there's something fundamentally wrong with them.

The example I keep coming back to is marriage equality. It's something I feel passionate enough about that when I run into someone who is against it I want to list to them all the reasons why I think it's a good/proper/healthy thing and thereby maybe change their mind, and not simply scream "homopobe!" and lob a brick at them.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2017, 07:20 AM   #1563
Tero
Illuminator

Pepper spray is nothing. Here is how you hold protests:
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-so...-idUSKBN16H066

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Parody: http://karireport.blogspot.com/
Poll: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...proval-rating/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2017, 10:02 AM   #1564
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Originally Posted by MostlyDead View Post
I'll bite for this one, mostly because I'm curious where you are going with such an odd challenge:

Fascist ideals are threatening to the way of life and rights of others. Flat-earth philosophy is harmless quackery. The issue pretty obviously is not about disagreement.
Islamic ideals are threatening to the way of life and rights of others.
Christian ideals are threatening to the way of life and rights of others.

Aren't these comparable?
Old 10th March 2017, 11:28 AM   #1565
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, exactly my point.
And a great many people think that Anarchism is a clear danger to life and property and society in general. Does that give them a right to shut you up?
God I just went against my own advice on not feeding trolls....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2017, 11:57 AM   #1566
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Yeah, but the venn diagrams covering them have an awful lot of overlap.
How would you know, since what they post isn't necessarily what they believe, by definition?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2017, 12:20 PM   #1567
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
How would you know, since what they post isn't necessarily what they believe, by definition?
I'm pretty confident both Caveman1917 and Milo Yiannopoulos believe their shtick in addition to enjoying whatever anger and frustration they incite in others. If they don't they're not likely to ever admit it, which makes it a distinction without a difference.

My opinion from observation. Your mileage may vary.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2017, 12:31 PM   #1568
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Do you know why caveman is claiming that they did not shut down the speech because they disagreed with milo?
Not just because they disagree with him, but (according to Caveman1917) Milo Yiannopoulos is a fascist and Fascist ideals are threatening to the way of life and rights of others.

The problem with that distinction is that it fits any political idea and quite a few scientific ideas. Anarchism, climate change, childcare, Obamacare vs Trumpcare, urban planning, farm subsidies...it would be hard to think of any political issue where someone doesn't think an opinion one way or another is threatening to their way of life and their rights.
Old 10th March 2017, 12:33 PM   #1569
Belz...
Fiend God

Your mileage may vary.
That is unfair and ableist. I demand that my mileage be constant!

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2017, 12:56 PM   #1570
The Big Dog

Not just because they disagree with him, but (according to Caveman1917) Milo Yiannopoulos is a fascist and Fascist ideals are threatening to the way of life and rights of others.

The problem with that distinction is that it fits any political idea and quite a few scientific ideas. Anarchism, climate change, childcare, Obamacare vs Trumpcare, urban planning, farm subsidies...it would be hard to think of any political issue where someone doesn't think an opinion one way or another is threatening to their way of life and their rights.
Coincidentally, the Chicago Tribune had an article about the Nazis trying to march through Skokie Illinois just today.

they were actual fascists, and they got their march and it turned out fine.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/o...310-story.html
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2017, 01:17 PM   #1571
sadhatter
Philosopher

Coincidentally, the Chicago Tribune had an article about the Nazis trying to march through Skokie Illinois just today.

Well its not fun when you are outnumbered, you fight for right only when there are no consequences.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2017, 01:29 PM   #1572
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I'm pretty confident both Caveman1917 and Milo Yiannopoulos believe their shtick in addition to enjoying whatever anger and frustration they incite in others. If they don't they're not likely to ever admit it, which makes it a distinction without a difference.
The important distinction is that Milo's shtick is to engage in speech, and caveman1917's shtick is to engage in violence to suppress speech.
Old 10th March 2017, 01:38 PM   #1573
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

I hate Illinois Nazis. - Jake Blues
Old 10th March 2017, 07:48 PM   #1574
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post

Aren't these comparable?
No. Why would they be? Every pair of things is comparable in some ways and incomparable in other ways. You have to actually show that these things are comparable in a relevant way.
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2017, 08:27 PM   #1575
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!

Aren't these comparable?
What are their views on window ownership?
Old 10th March 2017, 09:02 PM   #1576
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
What are their views on window ownership?
No that's not the right question. The right question is, do Christians and Muslims when they demonstrate publically use it to assault minorities and other undesirables? Are these events used to further increase such assaults with the goal of working towards enacting genocide?

Last edited by caveman1917; 10th March 2017 at 09:03 PM.
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2017, 11:33 PM   #1577
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Aren't these comparable?
Well, they are comparable, but dramatically different in motivation. Christianity and Islam are religions that are (at least in theory) about love and tolerance. Fascism is more along the lines of hate and intolerance, setting a de facto adversarial challenge to all comers that would likely be absent in a disagreement with a Priest or Imam.

The much larger issue is creating a breathalyzer controlled laptop. It's unnerving to see posts that one does not recall making, and there was evidently a comprehension issue on my part with caveman1917's query.

I'll just sit quietly over here...
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2017, 11:47 PM   #1578
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Joe Random View Post
Option 1) puberty hurts

Option 2) burning **** is fun

Option 3) to feed an infantile narrative that smashing windows, setting fires, and shouting down speakers is totally progressive, man

I don't think I've agreed with many, if any, actual position points Milo has given. I want him to be able to make them, however, for all the reasons put forth in the thread so far. For however enlightened I think my views are, if they can't stand up against mere dissenting opinion then there's something fundamentally wrong with them.

The example I keep coming back to is marriage equality. It's something I feel passionate enough about that when I run into someone who is against it I want to list to them all the reasons why I think it's a good/proper/healthy thing and thereby maybe change their mind, and not simply scream "homopobe!" and lob a brick at them.
The marriage analogy is a good one, but that is a discussion that can (and should) be held rationally. Fascism by its nature is a naked threat to...well, everyone except fascists. Can't really wax metaphysical with an ethnic cleansing advocate who spouts Nazi propaganda; the battle lines are drawn and there is basically nothing left to discuss rationally, hence the ordinarily unwarranted jump to...a more visceral show of disagreement.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2017, 07:18 AM   #1579
Joe Random
Illuminator

The marriage analogy is a good one, but that is a discussion that can (and should) be held rationally. Fascism by its nature is a naked threat to...well, everyone except fascists. Can't really wax metaphysical with an ethnic cleansing advocate who spouts Nazi propaganda; the battle lines are drawn and there is basically nothing left to discuss rationally, hence the ordinarily unwarranted jump to...a more visceral show of disagreement.

Accomplishing what, exactly? In specific terms can you say what good this actually does, apart from giving some people an unearned sense of self-righteousness?

Not trying to be flippant, but in neither this nor the 'punch a Nazi' thread has anyone shown what property destruction or physical assault actually accomplishes toward stopping 'fascism'. For the sake of argument let's grant the disputed point that the targets are even fascists in the first place : do you honestly believe that silencing or socking someone who genuinely wants to exterminate the 'mud people' will dissuade them in any way? They really want to wipe out all of <group X> from the face of the earth, so viscous is their ideology. But then suddenly their rally is disrupted by a gaggle of privileged wankers breaking random people's stuff - are they going to stop and think "Oh, guess we'll have to grudgingly live in harmony with all mankind now. Shoot, and I so wanted a Holocaust this Christmas. "

And that's not even touching on :

1) It hasn't been shown that these are actually close-minded, irredeemable, by Hoyle "fascists".

2) You don't need to be able to discuss higher concepts to get to the issue of basic humanity with anyone- doesn't mean you'll succeed or win them over, but even a mild nudge in the direction of decency with 1 person out of 10 is more than having them all double down because you just clocked them.

3) Abandoning the rule of law makes you (generic you) the threat to Democracy, not the odious talking head giving a speech

4) Who gave you (again, generic) to right to decide when someone's speech has crossed the line into 'no point in talking, time to burn stuff'?

5) You've now show just about any bigoted group in the country that all they need to do to silence pro-choice, or atheist, or anti-Trump gatherings is threaten to **** up a Starbucks if these deeply anti-American radicals are allowed to get together and talk

And now to be intentionally flippant : you know who else thought it was a good idea to use physical violence and intimidation against groups whom they opposed? The SA.

Last edited by Joe Random; 11th March 2017 at 07:23 AM.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2017, 03:02 PM   #1580
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

No that's not the right question. The right question is, do Christians and Muslims when they demonstrate publically use it to assault minorities and other undesirables? Are these events used to further increase such assaults with the goal of working towards enacting genocide?
What group is Milo Yiannopoulos working towards enacting genocide on?

You want to be a violent thug and you rationalize it by saying you only want to be a violent thug with "bad people" who deserve it. Who fits the bill? Fascists!

When you say "fascists" we all picture Nazis goose stepping around, fantasizing about building extermination camps and creating their all-powerful police state, and it's easy to think maybe throwing a punch or a brick against those guys is not such a bad thing, right? We've all grown up where "Nazi" is the epitome of evil, and they are very evil, but we've seen your definition of "fascist" to be so loose and all encompassing that it seems to include anyone who isn't an anarchist who is openly opposing the existence of nation-states.

We really have two issues here. First, it's not really okay to get your way by violence, even if you're only violent with bad people. It doesn't win the argument unless someone uses enough violence to become as ban an oppressor as they fear their victim might become.

The second issue is I think you're being disingenuous about who you're claiming to be acceptable targets. I really don't think it's just the wannabe Nazi, I think you're just going to apply that label wherever and whenever you want to use violence.
Old 11th March 2017, 03:44 PM   #1581
caveman1917
Philosopher

The marriage analogy is a good one, but that is a discussion that can (and should) be held rationally.
It's not a good analogy. The better analogy would be, if someone was attacking homosexuals (aka expressing "dissenting opinion"[*]) and people then choose to defend themselves from these attackers.

* Don't be misled by this propagandistic language of "dissenting opinion" or "just words" or BS like that. The video footage of that guy who ended up pissing himself clearly shows him dropping his weapon (wooden stick) so as to choke-hold a black person so that his fascist buddies can beat him up easily. Just last year in a town close to where I live in Belgium some fascists had a demonstration and afterwards beat a homeless person to death. Several "undesirable" people were attacked in the margin of Milo's event in Berkeley. Then there is the IWW member in Seattle who got shot, and the list goes on - and that's only what gets reported.

The language of "just dissenting opinion" and "they shut us down only because they disagree with us" and things like that is nothing more than far-right propaganda and has practically nothing to do with reality on the ground. There's no such thing as a peaceful fascist assembly, if they can't get away with attacking untermenschen during their demonstration itself - for example due to having too much cops around them - they'll do it afterwards in small groups in the back alleys away from peering eyes.

To think that fascists have demonstrations because they want to peacefully express a "dissenting opinion" is ignorant to the extreme. Fascist isn't a slur, it's a term with a meaning.
Old 11th March 2017, 03:56 PM   #1582
caveman1917
Philosopher

but we've seen your definition of "fascist" to be so loose and all encompassing that it seems to include anyone who isn't an anarchist who is openly opposing the existence of nation-states.
Have you? Surely you will then provide examples of this, as well as arguing your claim based on those examples?
Old 11th March 2017, 07:02 PM   #1583
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Have you? Surely you will then provide examples of this, as well as arguing your claim based on those examples?
You are the leading expert on your own opinions, so if you have a definition of "fascist" that you use that is different from what I described, please share it. If you want to be tedious and demand "evidence" of your own thought processes, I'll point to your disciplinary history on this board before you learned to stop calling everyone who disagreed with you a fascist.
Old 11th March 2017, 07:25 PM   #1584
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

It's not a good analogy. The better analogy would be, if someone was attacking homosexuals (aka expressing "dissenting opinion"[*]) and people then choose to defend themselves from these attackers.

* Don't be misled by this propagandistic language of "dissenting opinion" or "just words" or BS like that. The video footage of that guy who ended up pissing himself clearly shows him dropping his weapon (wooden stick) so as to choke-hold a black person so that his fascist buddies can beat him up easily. Just last year in a town close to where I live in Belgium some fascists had a demonstration and afterwards beat a homeless person to death. Several "undesirable" people were attacked in the margin of Milo's event in Berkeley. Then there is the IWW member in Seattle who got shot, and the list goes on - and that's only what gets reported.

The language of "just dissenting opinion" and "they shut us down only because they disagree with us" and things like that is nothing more than far-right propaganda and has practically nothing to do with reality on the ground. There's no such thing as a peaceful fascist assembly, if they can't get away with attacking untermenschen during their demonstration itself - for example due to having too much cops around them - they'll do it afterwards in small groups in the back alleys away from peering eyes.

To think that fascists have demonstrations because they want to peacefully express a "dissenting opinion" is ignorant to the extreme. Fascist isn't a slur, it's a term with a meaning.
The masked people who were breaking things, bloodying faces and intimidating people so Milo Yiannopoulos couldn't speak in Berkeley were not doing so because some Trump supporter was an asshat in the Great Lakes area five weeks later.

Violence in response to violence or defence from violence isn't necessarily bad. What we're talking about here is violence as a first choice to express your opinion or to prevent someone you disagree with from expressing theirs.

Your response here is another tu quoque argument. It's "They do it so we do it too", but "they" are not very well defined and, again, you're making yourself as bad as they are.
Old 11th March 2017, 07:30 PM   #1585
Joe Random
Illuminator

Old 11th March 2017, 08:22 PM   #1586
sadhatter
Philosopher

The bad guys hold meetings then beat people up, the good guys beat people up without the meeting.

So what is it I'm supposed to admire about your people? The time saved on meetings?
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2017, 10:17 PM   #1587
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Joe Random View Post
Accomplishing what, exactly? In specific terms can you say what good this actually does, apart from giving some people an unearned sense of self-righteousness?

Not trying to be flippant, but in neither this nor the 'punch a Nazi' thread has anyone shown what property destruction or physical assault actually accomplishes toward stopping 'fascism'.
Lotsa thoughts here. Will try to keep replies brief:

You ask what is accomplished. What is accomplished by dancing, or art? Expression, right? A reaction to the world around you. I don't think every action need have a practical payoff.

Quote:
For the sake of argument let's grant the disputed point that the targets are even fascists in the first place : do you honestly believe that silencing or socking someone who genuinely wants to exterminate the 'mud people' will dissuade them in any way? They really want to wipe out all of <group X> from the face of the earth, so viscous is their ideology. But then suddenly their rally is disrupted by a gaggle of privileged wankers breaking random people's stuff - are they going to stop and think "Oh, guess we'll have to grudgingly live in harmony with all mankind now. Shoot, and I so wanted a Holocaust this Christmas. "
Agreed, physical engagement is not likely to help the DeplorablesTM see the err of their ways. Nor is discussion, or much else. Except maybe one thing- ridicule. Probably the best weapon against them. But you ask what is the expected accomplishment. I say it is to show the passion and rage their very presence elicits. Not just philosophical disagreement.

Quote:
And that's not even touching on :

1) It hasn't been shown that these are actually close-minded, irredeemable, by Hoyle "fascists".
True. But being a card-carrying Fascist versus a being a casual neo-nazi is an almost academic point. Their precise point on the fascist scale is not that interesting when that entire end of the scale is beyond the pale.

Quote:
2) You don't need to be able to discuss higher concepts to get to the issue of basic humanity with anyone- doesn't mean you'll succeed or win them over, but even a mild nudge in the direction of decency with 1 person out of 10 is more than having them all double down because you just clocked them.
Agreed. But my experience and observation of these types is that they aren't moved by decency. Their base ideals are about as far removed from decency as you can politically get. They do not want to be decent. And I have no objection to taking a step or so outside of decency with them. I'm not proud.

Quote:
3) Abandoning the rule of law makes you (generic you) the threat to Democracy, not the odious talking head giving a speech
Not really. I (the generic...uh...I) do not abandon the rule of law, in the sense that the boys at the Boston Tea Party had not. The Trump supporters were called out as initiating the conflict at Berkeley by a reporter linked earlier IIRC. I see a good chunk of this as a mutual fight.

Quote:
4) Who gave you (again, generic) to right to decide when someone's speech has crossed the line into 'no point in talking, time to burn stuff'?
Natural Law, IMHO. Burning stuff depends on who owns it (just realized I am way behind on the thread and the topic may have evolved)

Quote:
5) You've now show just about any bigoted group in the country that all they need to do to silence pro-choice, or atheist, or anti-Trump gatherings is threaten to **** up a Starbucks if these deeply anti-American radicals are allowed to get together and talk
Could you clarify this one? Think I understand but I can read it a couple different ways.

Quote:
And now to be intentionally flippant : you know who else thought it was a good idea to use physical violence and intimidation against groups whom they opposed? The SA.
Returning Godwinesque flippancy: they were the bad guys. I am the good guys, so comparing Auschwitz and oranges .
Old 11th March 2017, 10:40 PM   #1588
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Agreed on one main point: it's not an issue of free speech or dissenting opinion with these cats. They are against basic humanity, IMO. Their extreme position warrants extreme response.
Old 12th March 2017, 08:45 AM   #1589
sadhatter
Philosopher

Agreed on one main point: it's not an issue of free speech or dissenting opinion with these cats. They are against basic humanity, IMO. Their extreme position warrants extreme response.
You realize if you get your way and violence versus discourse becomes the norm, you ate Orman and outgunned right?

Even if violence was the morally acceptable option is not the best tactical decision.
Old 12th March 2017, 03:23 PM   #1590
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

This is a continuation of justification for breaking windows? Assuming so...

The justification spelled out, as best I comprehend.. If somebody (X) verbally attacks a class of people, the organization that hosts X, and anyone in the general vicinity, is subject to having their windows broken, tough luck.
Old 12th March 2017, 08:51 PM   #1591
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
You realize if you get your way and violence versus discourse becomes the norm, you ate Orman and outgunned right?
I...uh...hm...

Quote:
Even if violence was the morally acceptable option is not the best tactical decision.
Agreed, and said so above. Ridicule is IMO probably the most effective.
Old 12th March 2017, 09:18 PM   #1592
caveman1917
Philosopher

Agreed, and said so above. Ridicule is IMO probably the most effective.
So if that homeless guy had ridiculed them then they wouldn't have beaten him to death? If those numerous refugees had only ridiculed them then they wouldn't have been attacked? How exactly is this ridicule thing supposed to work?

So if I'm getting this straight, rearranging a window constitutes "violence" and rearranging people constitutes "discourse", and presumably this depends on whether it's a fascist doing it or a leftist. Liberal ethics...
Old 12th March 2017, 09:45 PM   #1593
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

So if that homeless guy had ridiculed them then they wouldn't have beaten him to death? If those numerous refugees had only ridiculed them then they wouldn't have been attacked? How exactly is this ridicule thing supposed to work?
In the bigger picture, not being taken seriously is disempowering. Pretty obviously not the move during live conflict.

Quote:
So if I'm getting this straight, rearranging a window constitutes "violence" and rearranging people constitutes "discourse", and presumably this depends on whether it's a fascist doing it or a leftist. Liberal ethics...
Was this meant for someone else? I breathed not a word about discourse in any context and even agreed with you that this was not about speech.
Old 12th March 2017, 10:04 PM   #1594
caveman1917
Philosopher

In the bigger picture, not being taken seriously is disempowering.
It can be. For example I really liked this one. It depends on the situation, and with respect to fascists it isn't all that effective anyway. But then I'm all for ridiculing them for pissing their pants after their asses handed back to them, or for managing to pepper-spray themselves, etc.

Quote:
Pretty obviously not the move during live conflict.
What constitutes live conflict?

Quote:
Was this meant for someone else? I breathed not a word about discourse in any context and even agreed with you that this was not about speech.
Yes, it was meant as a general observation, not specifically for you. I should've made that clearer.

Last edited by caveman1917; 12th March 2017 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12th March 2017, 10:20 PM   #1595
caveman1917
Philosopher

calling everyone who disagreed with you a fascist.
So you have now two claims for which to provide evidence.

1. That my definition of "fascist" includes anyone who isn't an anarchist who is openly opposing the existence of nation-states.

2. I call(ed) everyone who disagreed with me a fascist.

I suggest you get to it rather than adding more unsupported claims each post.
Old 13th March 2017, 05:43 AM   #1596
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

So you have now two claims for which to provide evidence.

1. That my definition of "fascist" includes anyone who isn't an anarchist who is openly opposing the existence of nation-states.

2. I call(ed) everyone who disagreed with me a fascist.

I suggest you get to it rather than adding more unsupported claims each post.
Snipping out the part where I drew your attention to your disciplinary history for calling people fascist on this board is revisionist and does not go unnoticed.
Old 13th March 2017, 05:48 AM   #1597
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Has anyone spoken against self-defense?

So if I'm getting this straight, rearranging a window constitutes "violence" and rearranging people constitutes "discourse",
You're not getting it straight, then.

and presumably this depends on whether it's a fascist doing it or a leftist. Liberal ethics...
No. The point is it doesn't depend on if it's a fascist or leftist doing it. Being a violent thug makes you a violent thug regardless of your politics.
Old 13th March 2017, 06:01 AM   #1598
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

No. Why would they be? Every pair of things is comparable in some ways and incomparable in other ways. You have to actually show that these things are comparable in a relevant way.
Islam is much more successful in becoming a dominant memeplex controlling vast swaths of humanity in dictatorship than fascism ever was?

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2017, 08:39 AM   #1599
Emily's Cat

What makes them incomparable for this situation?

In all cases, facsism/islam/christianity threaten the ideals and ways of life of other people. Why does fascism get special pleading? What justifies the preemptive use of violence to silence the beliefs of one and not the others, if the justification for that violence is that it threatens the ideals and ways of life of other people?
Old 13th March 2017, 08:40 AM   #1600
Emily's Cat

Yes, they do.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics