IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 18th April 2017, 12:46 PM   #1961
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Sargon has a good and funny breakdown of the "Battle Of Berkeley".

Lots of footage of how things progressed. (Antifa breaking through the plastic fence that separated the two parties, starting the violence)

20 minutes, but it's both informative and highly amusing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe4-7IgMbsg&t=952s
Old 18th April 2017, 02:51 PM   #1962
The Big Dog

They are now referring to the rich white woman with sap gloves and a bottle she was getting ready to "scalp" someone with:

moldylocks

LOLZ!
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2017, 02:53 PM   #1963
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
They are now referring to the rich white woman with sap gloves and a bottle she was getting ready to "scalp" someone with:

moldylocks

LOLZ!
Rich?
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2017, 03:09 PM   #1964
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Rich?
Yep, well Thousand Oaks rich
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2017, 04:08 PM   #1965
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
It very could well be. Some squats will give you free beer for fascists' hats or flags, there's nothing unusual about that. Taking their flags is a bit of a tradition.
"Squats" comes from squatter, as in someone who unlawfully inhabits buildings or land they are not legally entitled to inhabit.

I'm sure you know this, but I want to make sure everyone else is also familiar with the vocabulary.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2017, 04:30 PM   #1966
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

I think the Anarcissists (sic) win on bloodlust:

https://itsgoingdown.org/make-guillo...-trump-poster/
Old 18th April 2017, 04:32 PM   #1967
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

"Squats" comes from squatter, as in someone who unlawfully inhabits buildings or land they are not legally entitled to inhabit.

I'm sure you know this, but I want to make sure everyone else is also familiar with the vocabulary.
I'm familiar with the vocabulary, but amused by caveman's absurd concept of "free": The beer in he describes in his post is explicitly not free.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2017, 04:35 PM   #1968
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I'm familiar with the vocabulary, but amused by caveman's absurd concept of "free": The beer in he describes in his post is explicitly not free.
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2017, 04:38 PM   #1969
caveman1917
Philosopher

They clearly do not. Amazing how you always think you can determine who wins by only scoring one side.
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2017, 04:51 PM   #1970
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

They clearly do not.
That has what to do with UC Berkeley?

Amazing how you always think you can determine who wins by only scoring one side.
Feel free to show us the bloodlust from the Trumptards that compares to the bloodlust from the Anarcissists.
Old 18th April 2017, 04:55 PM   #1971
caveman1917
Philosopher

That has what to do with UC Berkeley?
What did your post have to do with UC Berkeley?

Quote:
Feel free to show us the bloodlust from the Trumptards that compares to bloodlust from the Anarcissists.
I just did, unless you don't consider Trump himself a "Trumptard"? Besides, if you claim one party is winning then it's up to you to make the comparison.
Old 18th April 2017, 05:11 PM   #1972
applecorped
Banned

applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2017, 05:15 PM   #1973
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

That's terrible.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2017, 05:24 PM   #1974
The Big Dog

Speaking of scalping? Moldylocks was going use her Champagne bottle to brain someone right before she got a knuckle sandwich.

Hey, if they guy lost some scalp, literally. The anti-free-assembly scum win I guess?
Old 18th April 2017, 11:14 PM   #1975
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Speaking of scalping? Moldylocks was going use her Champagne bottle to brain someone right before she got a knuckle sandwich.

Hey, if they guy lost some scalp, literally. The anti-free-assembly scum win I guess?
Could she not think o a more bourgeois object to hit people with than a champaign bottle?
Old 18th April 2017, 11:42 PM   #1976
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
We've got one I.D. so far, that white woman with the "culturally appropriated" dreads.
Now have several IDs on her

https://kiwifarms.net/threads/emily-...fa-girl.30105/
Old 18th April 2017, 11:55 PM   #1977
Noztradamus
Illuminator

I didn't see this bottle, but may have overlooked it. Even still, Nazi dude picked a little girl as a target, typical.

I've been looking over the Facebook page of the Oak Roots Collective she claimed to be a part of:

https://www.facebook.com/OakRootsCol...PAGES_TIMELINE

Both sides equally evil, IMHO.
I find your assumption that little girls cannot pick Nazi dudes as a target both sexist, misogynistic, and showing contempt for her autonomy as a free spirit.
Old 19th April 2017, 02:06 AM   #1978
surreptitious57
Critical Thinker

The champagne bottle was photoshopped. The anticipation of violence at these events is threatening the right of free speech and free
assembly that should be a given in any free society. And I cannot help but notice the irony of those who label themselves anti fascists
actively seeking to deny those rights to those whose opinions they fundamentally disagree with. Now I my self am of the left. But I do
not support any attempt to deny free speech to anyone whoever they may be even if they are Nazis. So you either let them be or you
engage them in open discourse. Violence is not an option here. And I also notice with irony how I now routinely end up supporting the
right in defence of free speech when it really should be the left. Ultimately though there are no winners in all of this as the real loser is
democracy itself. Something that should bother everyone regardless of what side they take or where they fall on the political spectrum
Old 19th April 2017, 03:44 AM   #1979
surreptitious57
Critical Thinker

And if you go to an event anticipating violence you should not be complaining if you actually end up experiencing it. I also find it rather
amusing in the kiwi link how some think that the amount of hair she has between her legs or under her arms is of any relevance to the
issue in question. I do not find her attractive because she has asymmetrical tattoos but that has got nothing to do with the issue either
so I do not bother mentioning it. But as an advocate of free speech I would not seek to deny others that right merely because they say
something I do not agree with. Now I actually like reading the opinions of those who I disagree with if truth be told else why am I here
Old 19th April 2017, 03:52 AM   #1980
Meadmaker

Originally Posted by surreptitious57 View Post
The champagne bottle was photoshopped. The anticipation of violence at these events is threatening the right of free speech and free
assembly that should be a given in any free society. And I cannot help but notice the irony of those who label themselves anti fascists
actively seeking to deny those rights to those whose opinions they fundamentally disagree with. Now I my self am of the left. But I do
not support any attempt to deny free speech to anyone whoever they may be even if they are Nazis. So you either let them be or you
engage them in open discourse. Violence is not an option here. And I also notice with irony how I now routinely end up supporting the
right in defence of free speech when it really should be the left
. Ultimately though there are no winners in all of this as the real loser is
democracy itself. Something that should bother everyone regardless of what side they take or where they fall on the political spectrum
Amen.

Somewhere along the line, some people on the left gave up being liberal.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 07:18 AM   #1981
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rdwight View Post
Sorry but I don't think there is a reason to prove antifa 'started' the aggression. If KKK members showed up at a black lives matter rally, and a brawl ensued, I wouldn't be asking who started the aggression.(no, I am not equating the two groups) It is not like antifa is known for their peaceful protests and friendly demeanor to opposing groups. Had it been a young Republicans group from the local college, I would be more inclined to view the situation differently. Personal bias I guess.

As for the girl, she was in the fray of the fights in photo 15 from that slideshow, and as pointed out in photo 18 involved in another altercation, and then the one in which she was punched. You can argue his punch was excessive for sure, but it doesn't seem like she just found herself all of a sudden in a bad situation. She put herself there repeatedly. And her interview shows she is blatantly lying, so not much sympathy from me.
Agreed, it is not really important. The significant thing to me is the postings here; the majority place the protesters as instigators, openly or subtly. I don't see that. I do see white supremacists and other neo-nazis being embraced by the pro-Trump crowd, and it is...concerning, to say the least. Every time a post goes up saying 'look at what these violent leftist anarccisist kooks are doing now', the neos are normalized a little more. White Supremacists unquestioningly being grouped the the good guy team is far more troubling to me.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 07:34 AM   #1982
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

You heard that eh ? You heard that scalping was the "barf out, gag me with a spoon" equivalent of stealing someone's hat. That kind of stretching would impress even Mr. Fantastic.
On the East Coast, it was trendy for a while to wear brand new baseball caps with the tags still on them. I do specifically recall the term 'scalping' being used to describe knocking off the hat. Was not a big thing, believe whatever you want.

Quote:
No, dude, it was a bottle not even antifa is trying to claim it was anything else. She was holding it. Download the Reuters pick, zoom in on it but if you want to pass it off as something like a paper mâché sculpture that she picked up at the nearby farmers market, you're more than welcome to have at 'er.
I agreed earlier that it was a bottle. For you to spin that into brandishing what you called a 'deadly weapon' and declaring her the aggressor as the result was what I intended to underscore.

Quote:
So now it is a bottle. Good, we're making progress.
Agreed to at least twice earlier. Methinks I smells a strawman being formed.

Quote:
So is it your position that she just innocently showed up at a gang fight, wearing her gang colours and was quietly standing there getting drunk when, for no reason at all, she was violently attacked by Captain Master Race ? If it is, I'm wondering why she didn't say that in the interview.
Strawman away!

Quote:
We're playing connect the dots here and working with what we got. Most of are following the numbers and coming up with the correct picture however all of this "colouring outside the lines" and not following the intended instructions are resulting in a picture that rather abstract and with a meaning that's only evident to the artist.
Saying she must have been the aggressor because she was holding a deadly weapon is not connecting the dots, it is drawing another picture.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 08:28 AM   #1983
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by MostlyDead View Post
On the East Coast, it was trendy for a while to wear brand new baseball caps with the tags still on them. I do specifically recall the term 'scalping' being used to describe knocking off the hat. Was not a big thing, believe whatever you want.

I agreed earlier that it was a bottle. For you to spin that into brandishing what you called a 'deadly weapon' and declaring her the aggressor as the result was what I intended to underscore.

Agreed to at least twice earlier. Methinks I smells a strawman being formed.

Strawman away!

Saying she must have been the aggressor because she was holding a deadly weapon is not connecting the dots, it is drawing another picture.
Moldylocks was just going for the east coast cred, ya see, just knocking off people's hats.

Quote:
You serious? What a laugh.
Old 19th April 2017, 08:35 AM   #1984
Stout
Philosopher

What you said was...."it looks like a bottle and it looks like she is holding it, but in fairness it may not be"

Is that the east coast way of acknowledging something is true ?

Quote:
Strawman away!
That's not a strawman, that's a question.

Quote:
Strange customs you have there on the east coast. knocking off peoples hats, holding your bottles like you'd hold a club. I must visit there someday.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 08:40 AM   #1985
Stout
Philosopher

The champagne bottle was photoshopped.
Where can I access the competent analysis of this photo in order to confirm that as fact ?

Here's the guy who took that photo and if you have proof that he's submitting altered images to Reuters, then I'm sure they'd like to know that they're employing a fraud.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 08:44 AM   #1986
Stout
Philosopher

Maybe this one's "photoshopped" too. YouTube link

Turn the sound up and you can hear the weapon crunching into the guy's skull.
Old 19th April 2017, 09:00 AM   #1987
surreptitious57
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by The Big Dog
The fact that she went to get into a fight and then complains she got into a fight is ridiculous
Getting into a fight was not the problem as she wanted to but not being able to control how it would end
Which is always a problem when ones opponents are equally as enthusiastic in wanting to inflict violence
Old 19th April 2017, 09:15 AM   #1988
surreptitious57
Critical Thinker

The kiwi link references a claim that the champagne bottle was photoshopped. I take it to be genuine but I could be wrong. And I only
mentioned it in passing because those who mentioned it regarded the photo as real. Not a significant debating point for me personally
Old 19th April 2017, 09:17 AM   #1989
rdwight
Graduate Poster

Every time a post goes up saying 'look at what these violent leftist anarccisist kooks are doing now', the neos are normalized a little more. White Supremacists unquestioningly being grouped the the good guy team is far more troubling to me.
Couldn't I also argue that every time a post goes up defending the violent actions of leftist anarchist's due to who they are disagreeing with, their actions are being normalized more?

I think I have the capacity to hold both groups negative actions in contempt, without either negative action becoming normalized. I have faith that others do too.
rdwight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 09:27 AM   #1990
caveman1917
Philosopher

White Supremacists unquestioningly being grouped the the good guy team is far more troubling to me.
What else did you expect? The forum is largely right-wing, a collection of liberals and conservatives who have historically been allied with fascists against the left[*], as well as American, so a deeper analysis than "good guys! good guys!" vs "bad guys! bad guys!" should not be expected.

* and still are, for example the government here in Belgium is made up of a coalition of liberals and fascists
Old 19th April 2017, 09:28 AM   #1991
caveman1917
Philosopher

Why the sudden concern about people's familiarity with the English language?
Old 19th April 2017, 09:30 AM   #1992
Stout
Philosopher

The kiwi link references a claim that the champagne bottle was photoshopped. I take it to be genuine but I could be wrong. And I only
mentioned it in passing because those who mentioned it regarded the photo as real. Not a significant debating point for me personally
It's important to at least try to run these sorts of claims down.

As a for instance, there's currently a claim that antifa was selling credit card knives "for slashing conservatives". Is it a hoax ? I can't tell
Old 19th April 2017, 09:46 AM   #1993
The Big Dog

What else did you expect? The forum is largely right-wing, a collection of liberals and conservatives who have historically been allied with fascists against the left[*], as well as American, so a deeper analysis than "good guys! good guys!" vs "bad guys! bad guys!" should not be expected.

* and still are, for example the government here in Belgium is made up of a coalition of liberals and fascists
well, in the United States, the good guy team is made up of people who champion fundamental rights like Free Speech, Freedom of Assembly, and decry vigilante acts designed to suppress those rights, like the Black bloc anarchy scum, and the Anti-FirstAmendment cretins.
Old 19th April 2017, 11:50 AM   #1994
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
That's terrible.
Why?
Old 19th April 2017, 12:59 PM   #1995
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Have you ever considered writing for the Onion?
Old 19th April 2017, 01:01 PM   #1996
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Maybe this one's "photoshopped" too. YouTube link

Turn the sound up and you can hear the weapon crunching into the guy's skull.
Ow!
Old 19th April 2017, 01:15 PM   #1997
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
Have you ever considered writing for the Onion?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel_Government
Old 19th April 2017, 01:26 PM   #1998
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

I thought you were referring to the free speech rally.

Yeah NVA seems pretty right-winged.
But they're hardly going to gas French speakers, are they?
Old 19th April 2017, 01:35 PM   #1999
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
I thought you were referring to the free speech rally.
No I was referring to the historical and current practice of liberals in allying with fascists against the left. Hence in a conflict between fascists and leftists it is expected to see liberals siding explicitly or implicitly with fascists.

Quote:
Yeah NVA seems pretty right-winged.
But they're hardly going to gas French speakers, are they?
Should they?
Old 19th April 2017, 01:57 PM   #2000
sadhatter
Philosopher

No I was referring to the historical and current practice of liberals in allying with fascists against the left. Hence in a conflict between fascists and leftists it is expected to see liberals siding explicitly or implicitly with fascists.

Should they?
As per my previous post it is possible to Hate both groups im doing it right now.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics