IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 19th April 2017, 02:06 PM   #2001
Newtons Bit
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
Maybe this one's "photoshopped" too. YouTube link

Turn the sound up and you can hear the weapon crunching into the guy's skull.
Okay, so which one was the fascist and which one was the not-fascist guy?
"Structural Engineering is the art of molding materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze so as to understand forces we cannot really assess in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our own ignorance." James E Amrhein
Newtons Bit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 02:14 PM   #2002
The Big Dog

University of California Berkeley just cancelled an Ann Coulter speech, because of the violence of the anti-Free speech Black Bloc scum and and the Anti-FirstAmendement cretins.

there are your real Facists.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 02:29 PM   #2003
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Should they?
This may not be a popular opinion, but clearly non-Dutch -or the Untermensch as I like to refer to them- will eventually have to make way for the glory of greater Holland.
Old 19th April 2017, 03:21 PM   #2004
snoop_doxie
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
University of California Berkeley just cancelled an Ann Coulter speech, because of the violence of the anti-Free speech Black Bloc scum and and the Anti-FirstAmendement cretins.

Do you mean Fascists?

Did the University of California Berkeley give "violence of the anti-Free speech
Black Bloc scum and the Anti-First Amendment cretins" as the reason for the
cancellation?
Old 19th April 2017, 03:29 PM   #2005
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by snoop_doxie View Post
Do you mean Fascists?

Did the University of California Berkeley give "violence of the anti-Free speech
cancellation?
fascists, yes. Sorry, did not have my specs on when I typed that.

Yes, potential violence is the reason they gave. Appalling
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 03:30 PM   #2006
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by snoop_doxie View Post
Do you mean Fascists?

cancellation?
Do you really require them to say those exact words? Most people can infer the reason rather easily.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 03:41 PM   #2007
snoop_doxie
Graduate Poster

Geez, I just looked at that video that Stout provided.
Did anyone catch that woman that knocked that man on the head
(when he was looking away)?

And I did not know until just know that Anti fa was Anti First Amendment.

Yes, it is appalling that anyone cannot speak on a university campus because
of potential violence. I have a genuine dislike for Ann Coulter's politics, but I would not expect that dislike to turn violent at a speaking event.
Old 19th April 2017, 03:47 PM   #2008
snoop_doxie
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
Do you really require them to say those exact words? Most people can infer the reason rather easily.
No, I do not require them to say those words.

I was poking at the Big Dog. Unnecessary.

I would not want that violence to come to my college, but if Ann Coulter
does not speak, then those in the Anti FA win.

They were able to shut down free speech with their violence.
Old 19th April 2017, 04:15 PM   #2009
Meadmaker

I don't know why they would invite Ann Coulter in the first place, but cancelling her is a real problem.

I don't like Trump, but I understand why he won. If you think it was a good idea to reward the black masked crowd this way, look in the mirror to see the reason Trump is president.

ETA: The "you" above is not meant to be The Big Dog. I'm agreeing (shudder) with him. This kind of political violence is bad news.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 19th April 2017 at 05:16 PM.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 04:28 PM   #2010
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

What did your post have to do with UC Berkeley?

I just did, unless you don't consider Trump himself a "Trumptard"? Besides, if you claim one party is winning then it's up to you to make the comparison.
It's a knee-jerk red herring deployed whenever criticism of your group is made.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 04:30 PM   #2011
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Why the sudden concern about people's familiarity with the English language?
Nothing sudden about it. Information is good, knowlege is good, sharing is good.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 04:33 PM   #2012
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Amen.

Somewhere along the line, some people on the left gave up being liberal.
They're not liberal, at least not in the sense you and I understand the term. These guys are anarchists. They believe anarchy will somehow lead to the creation of a communist utopia. They are pro-violence, anti-speech, and given the chance they will more oppressive and violent than any system they want to replace.
Old 19th April 2017, 04:35 PM   #2013
Stout
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Newtons Bit View Post
Okay, so which one was the fascist and which one was the not-fascist guy?
I'm still working on that myself. I'd tend to go with the guy in the DIY Darth Vader outfit but I'm unsure whether the Siracha sauce t-shirt has any special meaning.

Around here, those t-shirts mean you like hot sauce but they may signal something completely different on the east coast.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 05:18 PM   #2014
shuize
Master Poster

Originally Posted by surreptitious57 View Post
Getting into a fight was not the problem as she wanted to but not being able to control how it would end
Which is always a problem when ones opponents are equally as enthusiastic in wanting to inflict violence

Yes, something tells me "antifa" might just end up regretting teaching "alt-right" to enjoy street fighting.

Last edited by shuize; 19th April 2017 at 05:48 PM.
shuize is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 06:05 PM   #2015
sadhatter
Philosopher

Let's try and kill free speech and make solving things with violence the norm.

Morally repugnant strategy , but it might work, you know if the people in power didn't vastly out man, out gun, and have more battlefield experience than the antifa tools.

With free speech they get to keep demonstrating, if they convince everyone else to play their game, they get killed.

Antifa the only group that is striving as hard as they can to lose a fight.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 06:19 PM   #2016
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I don't know why they would invite Ann Coulter in the first place, but cancelling her is a real problem.
In general, it's good to invite speakers with different viewpoints.

But, you're right, not Ann Coulter. I was speaking of adult political views. She is dreadfully stupid.

Nonetheless, she doesn't deserve this reaction to a talk on campus.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 06:23 PM   #2017
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

As long as these jerks succeed in getting conservative speakers removed from campus, the complaints about universities as almost completely liberal look that much more plausible.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 07:05 PM   #2018
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
As long as these jerks succeed in getting conservative speakers removed from campus, the complaints about universities as almost completely liberal look that much more plausible.
Do you think it only looks that way?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 07:14 PM   #2019
Meadmaker

In general, it's good to invite speakers with different viewpoints.

But, you're right, not Ann Coulter. I was speaking of adult political views. She is dreadfully stupid.

Nonetheless, she doesn't deserve this reaction to a talk on campus.
Agreed. There are plenty of conservative speakers that are much more appropriate than Ann Coultermfor an intellectual environment. Coulter can be counted on to be strident and conservative on every single issue. In other words, she doesn't really put any thought into what she says except possibly, "How can I make them more angry?"

But shutting her down through violence is scary.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 07:33 PM   #2020
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

What you said was...."it looks like a bottle and it looks like she is holding it, but in fairness it may not be"

Is that the east coast way of acknowledging something is true ?
Ok, fair enough. I see what you mean, but I didn't intend it that way. I was trying to underscore that you were assuming she was the aggressor because she had a deadly weapon, and that damning assumption hung on some tenuous evidence. I agree that it was very likely a bottle, but not that it drops the gavel on her being the vicious attacker and Cap'n Whitey being the innocent and noble defender.

Quote:
That's not a strawman, that's a question.
Again, fair enough. No, I don't think she was innocently enjoying an early refreshment and was unexpectedly attacked. I posted more than once that I think this was a mutual street brawl and none wore halos. But I see post after post about the bad old leftists, and the nazis are only criticized in passing ('oh, yeah, the marchers were also kind of wrong'). FFS, they imported bikers and freaking militias for this. Why do you (and others) not show equal contempt and criticism for them? Where is your outrage at the clear photos of neo-nazis actually attacking protesters?

Quote:
Strange customs you have there on the east coast. knocking off peoples hats, holding your bottles like you'd hold a club. I must visit there someday.
Do you think it is completely implausible that she was holding the bottle that way because a white supremacist was attacking her?
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 07:45 PM   #2021
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by MostlyDead View Post
Ok, fair enough. I see what you mean, but I didn't intend it that way. I was trying to underscore that you were assuming she was the aggressor because she had a deadly weapon, and that damning assumption hung on some tenuous evidence. I agree that it was very likely a bottle, but not that it drops the gavel on her being the vicious attacker and Cap'n Whitey being the innocent and noble defender.

Again, fair enough. No, I don't think she was innocently enjoying an early refreshment and was unexpectedly attacked. I posted more than once that I think this was a mutual street brawl and none wore halos. But I see post after post about the bad old leftists, and the nazis are only criticized in passing ('oh, yeah, the marchers were also kind of wrong'). FFS, they imported bikers and freaking militias for this. Why do you (and others) not show equal contempt and criticism for them? Where is your outrage at the clear photos of neo-nazis actually attacking protesters?

Do you think it is completely implausible that she was holding the bottle that way because a white supremacist was attacking her?
Is this a Poe? Why in the hell do you think she had a large glass bottle in her hand in the first place??
Old 19th April 2017, 07:55 PM   #2022
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rdwight View Post
Couldn't I also argue that every time a post goes up defending the violent actions of leftist anarchist's due to who they are disagreeing with, their actions are being normalized more?

I think I have the capacity to hold both groups negative actions in contempt, without either negative action becoming normalized. I have faith that others do too.
Good to hear. But what I am reading (not referring to you) is post after post condemning the anarchists/antifa as being the problem. Breeze through the thread. Look like balanced condemnation to you? Multiple pics and vids are posted showing clear aggression by the pro-Trumpers. Nary a peep about them. But antifa walked over a plastic fence (with no one on the other side yet)...now there is real evidence of violence.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 07:59 PM   #2023
The Big Dog

Good to hear. But what I am reading (not referring to you) is post after post condemning the anarchists/antifa as being the problem. Breeze through the thread. Look like balanced condemnation to you? Multiple pics and vids are posted showing clear aggression by the pro-Trumpers. Nary a peep about them. But antifa walked over a plastic fence (with no one on the other side yet)...now there is real evidence of violence.
Well except for the numerous photos of anti free assmbly throwing bottles and cold cocking a guy with a huge bike lock.
Old 19th April 2017, 08:01 PM   #2024
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

. But I see post after post about the bad old leftists, and the nazis are only criticized in passing ('oh, yeah, the marchers were also kind of wrong'). FFS, they imported bikers and freaking militias for this. Why do you (and others) not show equal contempt and criticism for them? Where is your outrage at the clear photos of neo-nazis actually attacking protesters?
I don't speak for anyone else, but I'll tell you why the alt-right concern me less: they have yet to shut down any left-wing speakers on any campus (or other venue).

If that starts happening with anything like the regularity that the ctrl-left shuts down conservatives, I'll consider them just as much of a threat.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 08:02 PM   #2025
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Is this a Poe? Why in the hell do you think she had a large glass bottle in her hand in the first place??
Stout had suggested she may have been drinking, possibly to get up her nerve. I tend to agree, as there was no reports of her throwing bottles, and the one she has was not broken (Reuters was right there, seems like they would have noted that?).

But even if she was planning to use it, offensively or defensively, that still does not justify the nazi battery unless she was actually doing something. No evidence has been shown that she was. Evidence has been shown that she was violently attacked by a white supremacist.
Old 19th April 2017, 08:10 PM   #2026
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Do you think it only looks that way?
No, I think that there is some liberal bias among professors. I don't know how much.

But traditionally, students were exposed to all viewpoints, partly by the invitation of conservatives (and politicians of other stripes). These protests threaten that tradition.
Old 19th April 2017, 08:11 PM   #2027
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Well except for the numerous photos of anti free assmbly throwing bottles and cold cocking a guy with a huge bike lock.
Great example! You have shown perfectly how you only condemn the protesters and have not an unkind thought for the aggressive white supremacists. Well done!
Old 19th April 2017, 08:12 PM   #2028
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

I don't speak for anyone else, but I'll tell you why the alt-right concern me less: they have yet to shut down any left-wing speakers on any campus (or other venue).

If that starts happening with anything like the regularity that the ctrl-left shuts down conservatives, I'll consider them just as much of a threat.
You know that alt-right really isn't known for attending college, right?
Old 19th April 2017, 08:13 PM   #2029
Matthew Best
Penultimate Amazing

Admittedly she does have a horrible face.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 08:19 PM   #2030
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

A good point, but two caveats: One, the nazis have their candidate in the Oval Office, and enjoying widespread power for the first time in a long time. They simply don't need to shut anyone else down. Second, who on the left compares with Milo, in terms of moral outrage? The left is usually criticized for being too soft, no?
Old 19th April 2017, 08:24 PM   #2031
Stout
Philosopher

I understand, you were trying to create reasonable doubt. There was very little room for that here (wrt the presence of the bottle ) considering the picture came from what most people would consider a reliable source.

The "bad old leftists" posts are coming because the bad old leftists attacked someone else's event because they didn't think it should happen. You'd be reading anti fundy posts if a group of fundies decided to attack a gay pride parade because they didn't think it should be allowed to happen. As noted upthread, it's a freedom of speech and a freedom of assembly issue.

So what have we got. One confirmed nazi guy, a couple more who may, or may not, have been mugging for the camera but let's call it three. Now let's express those three as a percentage of the total number of people present at the freedom of speech rally.........and we've got a bunch of regular conservative folks with the odd douchbag thrown in. Antifa made no such distinctions and attacked the entire group.

Quote:
No. As she said in her interview "she just got there" and her choices were fight or flight. She chose fight. Hey, I wonder if breaking a bottle over someone's head is what she meant by "scalping" ? That nazi guy would have made a nice prize and her activist cred would have gone through the roof had she landed a bottle blow on him.

No such luck though, he disarmed her and won the fight and now she has to resort to playing the weak woman card ( see kiwifarms link )

HEY LOUISE ! , Katheryn Winnick would like a word with you.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 08:25 PM   #2032
The Big Dog

Great example! You have shown perfectly how you only condemn the protesters and have not an unkind thought for the aggressive white supremacists. Well done!
You just called the black bloc scum protesters?

Protesters.

They came to do violence with m80s, sap gloves, bottles, and you are their apologist.

Oh yeah, a bike lock too.

They despise the first amendment.

Last edited by The Big Dog; 19th April 2017 at 08:29 PM.
Old 19th April 2017, 08:51 PM   #2033
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

I understand, you were trying to create reasonable doubt. There was very little room for that here (wrt the presence of the bottle ) considering the picture came from what most people would consider a reliable source.
Agreed, no question on Reuters as a reliable source. And repeatedly agreed, she held a bottle. Not agreed, that this proves she was the aggressor.

Quote:
The "bad old leftists" posts are coming because the bad old leftists attacked someone else's event because they didn't think it should happen.
No, the marchers were not the victims. They brought in militia groups and bikers from out of state who boasted that they looked forward to busting heads. This was a planned brawl, not some surprise by the antifa.

Quote:
As noted upthread, it's a freedom of speech and a freedom of assembly issue.
Agreed. Both sides freely assembled in battle gear. They even had the same speech: Let's get ready to rumble.

Quote:
So what have we got. One confirmed nazi guy, a couple more who may, or may not, have been mugging for the camera but let's call it three. Now let's express those three as a percentage of the total number of people present at the freedom of speech rally.........and we've got a bunch of regular conservative folks with the odd douchbag thrown in. Antifa made no such distinctions and attacked the entire group.
Militias in body armor. Bikers. Videos of crowds chanting 'Anti-White!' at the protesters. You only count three? And you also claim that antifa attacked the entire group indiscriminately. You know it's coming: source, please.

Quote:
No. As she said in her interview "she just got there" and her choices were fight or flight. She chose fight. Hey, I wonder if breaking a bottle over someone's head is what she meant by "scalping" ? That nazi guy would have made a nice prize and her activist cred would have gone through the roof had she landed a bottle blow on him.

No such luck though, he disarmed her and won the fight and now she has to resort to playing the weak woman card ( see kiwifarms link )

HEY LOUISE ! , Katheryn Winnick would like a word with you.
Or just as plausibly, he attacked her without direct provocation. There is not enough evidence to come to a decisive conclusion on specifically what happened between them. But don't let that slow ya down.
Old 19th April 2017, 09:03 PM   #2034
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Protesters.
They have been called protesters for dozens of pages in this thread alone. You're just getting that now?

Quote:
They came to do violence with m80s, sap gloves, bottles, and you are their apologist.

And the nazis imported militia groups and bikers. Lose the halo, this was a planned battle for both teams. Why are you trying to 'whitewash' the nazis?

Quote:
Doubt it. They seem to be freely assembling and expressing quite a bit.
Old 19th April 2017, 09:04 PM   #2035
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

A good point, but two caveats: One, the nazis have their candidate in the Oval Office, and enjoying widespread power for the first time in a long time. They simply don't need to shut anyone else down. Second, who on the left compares with Milo, in terms of moral outrage? The left is usually criticized for being too soft, no?
Uh, no. The left isn't soft, it has often been more violent than the right. Trump has plenty of faults but he is no Nazi. The right didn't shut down speakers when it didn't have power, and the left shut speakers down BECAUSE it has power, not because it lacks power. And Milo is no more offensive than actual communists.
Old 19th April 2017, 09:07 PM   #2036
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

No, I think that there is some liberal bias among professors. I don't know how much.
No. Not "some". A lot.
Old 19th April 2017, 09:38 PM   #2037
The Big Dog

They have been called protesters for dozens of pages in this thread alone. You're just getting that now?

And the nazis imported militia groups and bikers. Lose the halo, this was a planned battle for both teams. Why are you trying to 'whitewash' the nazis?

Doubt it. They seem to be freely assembling and expressing quite a bit.
And it has been proven without a shred of doubt that the black bloc scum were not protesters, they were an armed mob there to do violence and only violence.

And you call the originals marchers Nazis when it turns out the antifreespeech scum were the real fascists.

Did you see the black bloc scum hit the marcher who was on his knees with a huge bike lock? You are trying to whitewash the black bloc, and are failing miserably.

Donate to Moldylocks, she needs a bath
Old 19th April 2017, 11:36 PM   #2038
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

She claims it's still gonna happen. According to MSN:
"SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Ann Coulter fired off an angry stream of tweets Wednesday vowing to speak as planned next week at the University of California, Berkeley after campus officials called off the event for security concerns.

"I WILL BE SPEAKING NEXT THURSDAY," the right-wing commentator tweeted, calling the move to cancel her planned event on April 27 a ban on free speech."
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 02:36 AM   #2039
baron

Protesters.

We have some of those in the UK, not many though. They are essentially parasites on society, a coagulation of fascists, anarchists, junkie tramps and drug-addled students who violently oppose free speech and capitalism except when they're claiming their benefits or squatting in somebody else's property using the utilities that somebody else pays for. Half will end up dead with a needle in their arm, the others will be employed by universities or find work with the word 'community' in the job title.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 04:19 AM   #2040
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
It's a knee-jerk red herring deployed whenever criticism of your group is made.
So do you or do you not consider Trump himself a "Trumptard"?

Nothing sudden about it. Information is good, knowlege is good, sharing is good.
Uhu.

They're not liberal, at least not in the sense you and I understand the term.
That much is obvious.

Quote:
These guys are anarchists.
Which guys exactly and how do you know they are anarchists?

Quote:
They are pro-violence, anti-speech, and given the chance they will more oppressive and violent than any system they want to replace.
Funny because that's probably exactly what they'd say about those guys they were fighting, you know, the fascists.
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics