IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags transgender incidents , transgender issues , transgender rights

Closed Thread
Old 6th September 2022, 03:15 PM   #2841
stanfr
Master Poster
 
stanfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,259
Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
It's not what gender ID and gender dysphoria come down to, it's what the policy of self-ID comes down to.
True, but policy is based on how the issue is perceived and described.
stanfr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2022, 03:18 PM   #2842
Rolfe
Adult human female
 
Rolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NT 150 511
Posts: 49,829
Originally Posted by stanfr View Post
Well you are spoon feeding me crap, Rolfe.

I just glanced at your link. It is a proposed bill

Which means that your statement that

"including the one I happen to live in, are accepting that and are changing or have changed the law so that anyone who says he is a woman must be treated in every way as women are entitled to be treated."

Is already a proven lie! Did you lie intentionally or was it an honest mistake, Rolfe?

Do you have a problem understanding the words "are changing"? The bill has been introduced and will shortly become law. I do not appreciate being accused of lying when I have been scrupulously accurate.

ETA: Similar legislation is already law in a number of other countries including Canada, Norway, Iceland and Ireland.
__________________
"The way we vote will depend, ultimately, on whether we are persuaded to hope or to fear." - Aonghas MacNeacail, June 2012.

Last edited by Rolfe; 6th September 2022 at 03:19 PM.
Rolfe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2022, 03:24 PM   #2843
stanfr
Master Poster
 
stanfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,259
Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
Do you have a problem understanding the words "are changing"? The bill has been introduced and will shortly become law. I do not appreciate being accused of lying when I have been scrupulously accurate.

ETA: Similar legislation is already law in a number of other countries including Canada, Norway, Iceland and Ireland.
I know exactly what the word mean. It is not yet law and it becoming law is not a foregone conclusion (which is implied by "changing")

If I am wrong and it is a foregone conclusion, I apologize. I will have to read the bill to see if it is really "simply" self-id or not (i suspect it is more complicated than that...)
stanfr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2022, 03:25 PM   #2844
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing
 
d4m10n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mounts Farm
Posts: 10,009
Originally Posted by stanfr View Post
These have not been proven to my satisfaction.
That first one took me around 2 minutes of googling.

__________________
Just reread theprestige's signature; still cannot recall anything about it.

Last edited by d4m10n; 6th September 2022 at 03:31 PM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2022, 03:26 PM   #2845
Rolfe
Adult human female
 
Rolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NT 150 511
Posts: 49,829
Originally Posted by stanfr View Post
I know exactly what the word mean. It is not yet law and it becoming law is not a foregone conclusion (which is implied by "changing")

If I am wrong and it is a foregone conclusion, I apologize. I will have to read the bill to see if it is really "simply" self-id or not (i suspect it is more complicated than that...)

It is a foregone conclusion. The government which has introduced the bill has the majority to get it through and will do so.
__________________
"The way we vote will depend, ultimately, on whether we are persuaded to hope or to fear." - Aonghas MacNeacail, June 2012.
Rolfe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2022, 03:32 PM   #2846
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 51,788
Originally Posted by stanfr View Post
I know exactly what the word mean. It is not yet law and it becoming law is not a foregone conclusion (which is implied by "changing")

If I am wrong and it is a foregone conclusion, I apologize. I will have to read the bill to see if it is really "simply" self-id or not (i suspect it is more complicated than that...)
Of course itís a foregone conclusion.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2022, 03:34 PM   #2847
stanfr
Master Poster
 
stanfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,259
Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
What is it about the case I have made that is not supported by the facts?

1. Trans activists are demanding that all trans identification should be by "self-ID", that is a simple form-filling process (if that) with no requirement for any medical intervention.

2. Many legislatures, including the one I happen to live in, are accepting that and are changing or have changed the law so that anyone who says he is a woman must be treated in every way as women are entitled to be treated.

3. This is a door held wide open for predatory men, who previously would have been asked to leave women's intimate single-sex spaces if they went in, to access these spaces as of legal right. As a corollary, any woman who is disturbed by this is liable to be accused of a hate crime.

These are facts. Do you have different ones?
I just sped read the bill. Nowhere does it include any language to that effect.
Most of the language refers to marriage and civil unions, it seems pretty clear to me that is the intent of the act, to protect people's right to marry. Nothing about prisons or locker rooms.
stanfr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2022, 03:39 PM   #2848
Rolfe
Adult human female
 
Rolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NT 150 511
Posts: 49,829
If that was what the act was about there would be little concern.

What do you think a "Gender Recognition Certificate" is, and what rights it gives its holder?

What do you think the phrase "the person's gender is the acquired gender" is supposed to mean?
__________________
"The way we vote will depend, ultimately, on whether we are persuaded to hope or to fear." - Aonghas MacNeacail, June 2012.

Last edited by Rolfe; 6th September 2022 at 03:52 PM.
Rolfe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2022, 03:40 PM   #2849
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Antimemetics Division
Posts: 62,417
Originally Posted by stanfr View Post
That's what it comes down to...according to you and a few others here.
So that would be a necessary bias, then? If fiat ID really were happening, you'd be against it?

Quote:
And maybe there are a few here who argue that is all that is necessary,
We're mainly concerned with addressing the argument here. But it has been made, and it has been acted on in public policy. Rolfe has you covered there.

Quote:
but that's not how I see the argument. It conjures up a lot of pouting Trans individuals saying "I will get whatever I want"
I'd rather it conjured up you explaining how you see the argument, and why, and what conclusions you draw.

Quote:
This is a complex issue,
Complex in what way?

Quote:
and summing it up the way you and others do is degrading to it, IMHO.
When this thread started, I was a lot more positive and supportive. Now I would just like some straight answers to some simple questions. Or complex questions, I don't care. As long as there are answers somewhere.

We can start with my question about complexity. What complexity do you think we're missing, that needs to be taken into consideration?
__________________
There is no Antimemetics Division.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2022, 03:50 PM   #2850
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Antimemetics Division
Posts: 62,417
Originally Posted by stanfr View Post
I'll clarify because you added the last paragraph after I responded. Do you seriously think that anyone making the case for self-ID is doing so on the basis of "simply because they prefer it" I mean, is that what gender ID and gender dysphoria comes down to--mere whims? I don't think anyone here made that argument, and if that's how you see their responses I'd suggest it is your biases at play.
I'm stipulating LJ's framework - that transgender identity without reported psychological distress isn't a mental disorder. It doesn't require diagnosis or treatment. It's a "valid lived identity", the same as race and sexuality. Simply declaring it entitles you to all the privileges established for that purpose.

As Rolfe has explained, this is indeed the framework that is being advocated by mainstream trans-rights activists, and being made into public policy.

The case for self-ID is by definition a case of "simply because they prefer it". Gender ID without gender dysphoria is indeed a mere whim. How could it be otherwise?

If we were actually talking about diagnosed gender dysphoria, with some sort of social transition and even transsexual transition being generally recognized as a good course of treatment, that would be a whole other conversation.

But we're not. We're talking about advocacy for fiat self-ID as a public policy. You seem to think fiat self-ID is a bad idea. You seem like you would oppose it, as public policy. So if we're in agreement, that we share a necessary bias, that's good. One less complication.

What are some unnecessary biases you've noticed, in this discussion? If it's that I'm mildly biased against SuburbanTurkey... then guilty as charged, I guess.
__________________
There is no Antimemetics Division.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2022, 03:53 PM   #2851
stanfr
Master Poster
 
stanfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,259
Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
If that was what the act was about there would be little concern.
I get it. But the act was just a relaxation (mainly the medical requirements, and age reduction from 18-16) from the previous 2004 act. And that act was specifically passed to address concerns about pensions in civil union situations (the act was addressing a court case that ruled on that situation)
When I read what the parliament actually says about the act, I don't get a feel of the sort of outrageous situations described in this thread. For example here's what they say about sports:

"competitive sports: a sports organisation can restrict participation because of gender reassignment. For example, the organisers of a womenís triathlon event could decide to exclude a trans woman if they think her strength gives her an unfair advantage. However, the organisers would need to be able to show this was the only way it could make the event fair for everyone..."

Doesn't seem to me the act is doing as you claimed it would.

Reform
stanfr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2022, 03:54 PM   #2852
Rolfe
Adult human female
 
Rolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NT 150 511
Posts: 49,829
You are so far behind on this it's actually embarrassing.

Removing the medical requirements is the entire point. Now it's just on anyone's personal say-so. There are a lot of implications of this you are just not getting. Although in fairness the bill (which is a dog's breakfast) has been written to appear unthreatening to the casual reader.
__________________
"The way we vote will depend, ultimately, on whether we are persuaded to hope or to fear." - Aonghas MacNeacail, June 2012.

Last edited by Rolfe; 6th September 2022 at 03:56 PM.
Rolfe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2022, 03:59 PM   #2853
stanfr
Master Poster
 
stanfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,259
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
So that would be a necessary bias, then? If fiat ID really were happening, you'd be against it?
Sure if it were truly 'flat'

Quote:
We're mainly concerned with addressing the argument here. But it has been made, and it has been acted on in public policy. Rolfe has you covered there.


I'd rather it conjured up you explaining how you see the argument, and why, and what conclusions you draw.


Complex in what way?


When this thread started, I was a lot more positive and supportive. Now I would just like some straight answers to some simple questions. Or complex questions, I don't care. As long as there are answers somewhere.

We can start with my question about complexity. What complexity do you think we're missing, that needs to be taken into consideration?
There aren't hordes of people just arbitrarily deciding they want to change gender, for purely nefarious purposes. It just aint happening. If you ask a simple question, I'll give you a simple answer. But don't conjure up this image of a trans bogeyman sneaking into women's bathrooms.
Address my point to Rolfe--is that act, if passed, gonna lead to the dangers you fear? Proof? I don't see it.
stanfr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2022, 04:01 PM   #2854
stanfr
Master Poster
 
stanfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,259
Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
You are so far behind on this it's actually embarrassing.

Removing the medical requirements is the entire point. Now it's just on anyone's personal say-so. There are a lot of implications of this you are just not getting. Although in fairness the bill (which is a dog's breakfast) has been written to appear unthreatening to the casual reader.
Hey, I'm here to be educated. I'm already learning, just reading the bill and some of the controversy surrounding it. I don't quite see it as the can of worms that you do, but I'll keep reading
stanfr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2022, 04:03 PM   #2855
stanfr
Master Poster
 
stanfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,259
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I'm stipulating LJ's framework - that transgender identity without reported psychological distress isn't a mental disorder. It doesn't require diagnosis or treatment. It's a "valid lived identity", the same as race and sexuality. Simply declaring it entitles you to all the privileges established for that purpose.

As Rolfe has explained, this is indeed the framework that is being advocated by mainstream trans-rights activists, and being made into public policy.

The case for self-ID is by definition a case of "simply because they prefer it". Gender ID without gender dysphoria is indeed a mere whim. How could it be otherwise?

If we were actually talking about diagnosed gender dysphoria, with some sort of social transition and even transsexual transition being generally recognized as a good course of treatment, that would be a whole other conversation.

But we're not. We're talking about advocacy for fiat self-ID as a public policy. You seem to think fiat self-ID is a bad idea. You seem like you would oppose it, as public policy. So if we're in agreement, that we share a necessary bias, that's good. One less complication.

What are some unnecessary biases you've noticed, in this discussion? If it's that I'm mildly biased against SuburbanTurkey... then guilty as charged, I guess.
I'll get back to you on that, gotta go see a pretty sunset while i still can, way too much time on social media makes me an unhappy boy
stanfr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2022, 04:14 PM   #2856
Rolfe
Adult human female
 
Rolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NT 150 511
Posts: 49,829
There is a huge amount of information here, linked to sources.

https://murrayblackburnmackenzie.org...on-act-reform/

This is a general fact-checker, not specific to Scotland, but it should be helpful for posters who are not up to speed about what is going on.

https://forwomen.scot/did-you-know/
__________________
"The way we vote will depend, ultimately, on whether we are persuaded to hope or to fear." - Aonghas MacNeacail, June 2012.
Rolfe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2022, 04:19 PM   #2857
stanfr
Master Poster
 
stanfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,259
Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
There is a huge amount of information here, linked to sources.

https://murrayblackburnmackenzie.org...on-act-reform/

This is a general fact-checker, not specific to Scotland, but it should be helpful for posters who are not up to speed about what is going on.

https://forwomen.scot/did-you-know/
thanks, i will check these out later!
stanfr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2022, 04:20 PM   #2858
Paul2
Philosopher
 
Paul2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7,670
Originally Posted by stanfr View Post
True, but policy is based on how the issue is perceived and described.
I don't quite get what you mean, can you amplify that thought?
__________________
It's nice to be nice to the nice.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2022, 04:21 PM   #2859
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing
 
d4m10n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mounts Farm
Posts: 10,009
Honestly this thread needs a dedicated FAQ
__________________
Just reread theprestige's signature; still cannot recall anything about it.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2022, 04:42 PM   #2860
Rolfe
Adult human female
 
Rolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NT 150 511
Posts: 49,829
Here you go.

https://forwomen.scot/did-you-know/
__________________
"The way we vote will depend, ultimately, on whether we are persuaded to hope or to fear." - Aonghas MacNeacail, June 2012.
Rolfe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2022, 07:58 PM   #2861
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Antimemetics Division
Posts: 62,417
Originally Posted by stanfr View Post
Sure if it were truly 'flat'
Fair enough. It's "fiat", by the way, but I think you understand my meaning regardless.

Quote:
There aren't hordes of people just arbitrarily deciding they want to change gender, for purely nefarious purposes. It just aint happening.
Nobody here has claimed hordes, or arbitrary decisions. As for nefarious purposes, I think even a lot of autogynaephiliacs wouldn't understand what they're doing to be nefarious. I think you may be applying an unnecessary bias to my arguments.

Quote:
If you ask a simple question, I'll give you a simple answer. But don't conjure up this image of a trans bogeyman sneaking into women's bathrooms.
Again with the conjuring! Find another verb.

And we don't have to conjure up images. We have living examples, in the flesh. But already you're moving the goalposts. A moment ago, you were against fiat self-ID in principle. Now you seem inclined to tolerate it, as long as the resulting harm is sufficiently small.

Quote:
Address my point to Rolfe--is that act, if passed, gonna lead to the dangers you fear? Proof? I don't see it.
For now, let's stick with the original goalpost: Does the bill establish fiat self-ID as the legal requirement for transgender recognition in public policy? It's Rolfe's bill, I'll let her speak to it.

Meanwhile, here's California Senate Bill No. 179 (the Gender Recognition Act):

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...201720180SB179

This bill explicitly deletes the extant requirement for a doctor's opinion, in order to change their gender identity for legal purposes. Here's a layman's summary of the bill's provisions, published by the Transgender Law Center. It confirms my interpretation of the bill's language:

https://transgenderlawcenter.org/resources/id/ca-sb179

I'll let you make your own determination of the TLC's bona fides.

Here's California's Assembly Bill No. 887 (the Gender Nondiscrimination Act):

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/..._chaptered.pdf

This bill grants the legal right for a person to enter sex-segregated spaces based on their gender identity (which is established to be fiat self-ID by SB-179). Here's the TLC's FAQ for AB-887, confirming my interpretation of the bill's language, specifically with regard to sex-segregated restrooms and homeless shelters:

https://transgenderlawcenter.org/res...rimination-act

Both of these bills have been passed into law.

I think this more than satisfies the family of claims:

- Fiat self-ID is being advocated as public policy
- Advocates of fiat self-ID are changing and have changed public policy to establish fiat self-ID
- As a matter of California law, men may now enter (some) women's spaces in California on no other basis than because they say they want to.

I stipulate that you can reasonably quibble about whether a women's restroom or homeless shelter is gender-segregated or sex-segregated. And I stipulate that you can reasonably quibble that I have previously mentioned prisons and sports, but not cited them here in reference to these laws.

But I think that we can all agree that so far as fiat self-ID in public policy is concerned, it is in fact the case in California right now today.
__________________
There is no Antimemetics Division.

Last edited by theprestige; 6th September 2022 at 08:00 PM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2022, 04:44 AM   #2862
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing
 
d4m10n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mounts Farm
Posts: 10,009
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
But I think that we can all agree that so far as fiat self-ID in public policy is concerned, it is in fact the case in California right now today.
As exemplified in the Wi Spa kerfuffle:
Quote:
In a statement to Los Angeles [Magazine] about this weekend’s incident, Wi Spa points to California Civil Code 51 (b), which makes discriminating against trans and other gender non-conforming people in business establishments illegal in the state. “Like many other metropolitan areas, Los Angeles contains a transgender population, some of whom enjoy visiting a spa,” the statement goes on. “Wi Spa strives to meet the needs of all its customers.”
This policy has lead to some striking results in places other than Wi Spa as well.
Quote:
“[She] wouldn’t really use the spas, [she] just sat at the corner of the pool with [her] feet in the water and [her] legs spread or took front-facing showers,” the rep recalls. “People began to feel uncomfortable. It became very disruptive.” When the spa finally confronted her, she was adamant that the spa should attempt to normalize young girls and women viewing male genitalia.
These are examples from the real world, not a bogeyman conjured up to frighten the aforementioned young girls and women.

It may be that one can make an argument from self-i.d. which doesn't end up in the normalization of exposing young girls and women to male genitalia without their consent. If so, I'd be delighted to hear how that can be successfully operationalized in real life.
__________________
Just reread theprestige's signature; still cannot recall anything about it.

Last edited by d4m10n; 7th September 2022 at 04:54 AM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2022, 05:26 AM   #2863
Elaedith
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,104
Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
As exemplified in the Wi Spa kerfuffle:
This policy has lead to some striking results in places other than Wi Spa as well. These are examples from the real world, not a bogeyman conjured up to frighten the aforementioned young girls and women.

It may be that one can make an argument from self-i.d. which doesn't end up in the normalization of exposing young girls and women to male genitalia without their consent. If so, I'd be delighted to hear how that can be successfully operationalized in real life.

This obviously makes it more difficult to identify exhibitionism, which is one of the most common types of sexual offence, and will make people more reluctant to report suspected cases, which can lead to an increase in sexual offending without an increase in recorded offences. This has been pointed out before, but those who keep demanding 'evidence that offending increases as a result of these policies' just ignore it.
__________________
"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." - Salman Rushdie.
Elaedith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2022, 07:43 AM   #2864
Francesca R
Girl
 
Francesca R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London EC1
Posts: 18,949
Originally Posted by stanfr View Post
It's called hyperbole
Best drop your stick to the facts prompt then, if you are not going to.

Quote:
If you'd like, Ill send you a PM with a dozen other examples, they're easy to find here.
No, thank you.
Francesca R is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2022, 08:13 AM   #2865
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Antimemetics Division
Posts: 62,417
Because of the realities of sexual dimorphism in humans, there are some special concerns about transwomen having access to sex-segregated spaces for women. If you're wondering why I don't mention men or transmen below, that's why.

stanfr, when this thread started, the difficulty I had in mind was this: How do we let transwomen use women's restrooms while still blocking access to bad actors.

I thought then, and still think now, that bad actors, while rare, are a real problem, and that responsible public policy must provide some kind of mechanism or social norm for screening them out. I thought then, and still think now, that an "open door" policy would enable an increase in bad actions.

But a lot of my other thinking has changed.

I thought we were talking about people who had been diagnosed with gender dysphoria, who were trying to make a more complete social transition to help ameliorate their distress. I thought wrong. It turns out that diagnosis is off the table. Sure, you can seek a diagnosis if you want, and there's still some things that are gated by diagnosis of dysphoria. But as far as mainstream trans-activism is concerned, diagnosis is unnecessary, and access to women's spaces must be on fiat self-ID alone.

I thought the main concern was, how to accommodate these people humanely, without demanding to see their doctor's note or other papers, affirming their condition and justifying their access. I thought wrong. The mainstream of trans-activism rejects the idea of "papers". No medical diagnosis is necessary. The only humane accommodation in trans-activism, is to allow entry to anyone who says they want in, simply because they say they want in. No surgery is needed. No hormone treatments. They don't have to pass, or try to pass. They don't even have to express a gender norm or stereotype. All they have to say is, "(today) I am a woman, let me in".

I thought the progressive critical thinkers on this board would have some idea of rational solution for allowing transwomen to access women's spaces in a way that still barred men, without having to resort to "papers please". I thought wrong. There is no progressive critical thinking on this board, in favor of trans-inclusion. There is no science. There is no pragmatism. Just a growing disrespect for women, and dismissal of women's concerns, any time they come into conflict with trans accommodation.

I thought that nobody apart from the bad actors themselves really wanted an increase in bad actions. I thought wrong. It turns out that mainstream trans-activists are willing to accept an increase in harm, if it means they get trans access by fiat self-ID.

I don't know where you're at with your thinking, but so far it kind of seems like you're about where I was at when this thread began.

It also kind of seems like you're operating from the assumption that mainstream trans-activism today is on the right side of history. That it's reasonably well backed by science and medicine and sociology. That the objections to it must be mostly knee-jerk, products of "unnecessary bias". That what whatever problems are being called out, they are either phantoms, or too small to concern us, or easily solved by assuming the cause is just and the solution will sooner or later appear.

I don't know for sure if that's what you're thinking, and that's what your assumptions are. But that's how it seems to me. And that's how I expect your end of the conversation to progress. I'll be pleasantly surprised if you acknowledge, without hedging, that fiat self-ID is being pursued, and is being enacted as public policy. That would be a nice change of pace, and a good start.
__________________
There is no Antimemetics Division.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2022, 08:16 AM   #2866
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Antimemetics Division
Posts: 62,417
Originally Posted by Francesca R View Post
No, thank you.
I did invite him to just cite the examples here in the thread, and address them as part of the ongoing discussion, but so far he has declined.
__________________
There is no Antimemetics Division.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2022, 08:28 AM   #2867
Rolfe
Adult human female
 
Rolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NT 150 511
Posts: 49,829
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
If you're wondering why I don't mention men or transmen below, that's why.

Check the title of the thread. The thread is not about transmen.

Many pro-trans posters come up with the "you're dishonest because you're ignoring transmen" line, like it's some sort of a gotcha. No, we're not mentioning transmen most of the time because the thread is not about transmen.

This is not a symmetrical situation. Another thing the pro-trans posters like to come up with is, but what about women who might sexually assault other women? But what about women who take used sanitary products from the bins in the toilet to satisfy their menstrual fetish? But what about lesbians who might ogle other women in sex-segregated spaces? What about women who are autogynaephiles?

What about transmen in men's intimate spaces?

None of these examples, even the ones that actually happen (women do not have menstrual fetishism, women do not display autogynaephilia, women sexually assault other women in the absence of a male co-offender practically never, and if lesbians are in the habit of ogling women in the Ladies' they are extremely discreet about it), has anything to do with the problem of men in women's intimate spaces.

The problem of women in men's intmate spaces is an entirely different one, and one I'm not really qualified to address. I gather, talking to male friends, that the presence of a woman in a space that contains urinals is something they find acutely embarrassing. However, whether a woman LARPing masculinity walking straight to a stall and walking out again (I gather it's "not done" for men to engage each other in conversation in the Gents' or even to make intentional eye contact) would bother them, I don't know. As a man LARPing femininity (without the over-sexualised Barbie effect some of them go to) could do the same in a Ladies and probably never be challenged, I suspect not.

Much of the trouble with transwomen is their desire to occupy women's intimate spaces in a "manspreading" sort of way. To impose their presence in the space. To posture and preen and take selfies and even masturbate, and make the women who are there acutely uncomfortable. I have never heard of a transman behaving like that in a male intimate space.
__________________
"The way we vote will depend, ultimately, on whether we are persuaded to hope or to fear." - Aonghas MacNeacail, June 2012.
Rolfe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2022, 08:41 AM   #2868
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Antimemetics Division
Posts: 62,417
NM
__________________
There is no Antimemetics Division.

Last edited by theprestige; 7th September 2022 at 08:43 AM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2022, 08:42 AM   #2869
shuttlt
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 10,094
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I don't know where you're at with your thinking, but so far it kind of seems like you're about where I was at when this thread began.

It also kind of seems like you're operating from the assumption that mainstream trans-activism today is on the right side of history. That it's reasonably well backed by science and medicine and sociology. That the objections to it must be mostly knee-jerk, products of "unnecessary bias". That what whatever problems are being called out, they are either phantoms, or too small to concern us, or easily solved by assuming the cause is just and the solution will sooner or later appear.
Is that what "being on the right side of history" means?

The idea that history has a direction and we know what that direction is has been an idea on the Left for what, 170 years now, arguably 250 years? History, and man are progressing towards some kind of greater transcendent perfection. There are views of history on the Right as well, of course. Many of them are cyclical.

Supposedly this direction was known "scientifically". It wasn't something you discovered iteratively as you went. Transactivists aren't on the right side of history because science has discovered the essence of woman and proved them right, or because it has been shown that all the risks can be mitigated, or anything else like that. Transactivists are on the right side of history because the direction of history is towards liberation from cultural and natural restrictions on the individual to act in accordance with his, or perhaps in this case her, desires. All of the objections you are raising will work themselves out because history will take care of it. That some women may get assaulted is unfortunate, but the wheels of history don't grease themselves, and in the long run it will all be worth it.

That, at least would I think be the classical radical progressive take. To what extent people here map on to this is harder to tell.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2022, 09:02 AM   #2870
Rolfe
Adult human female
 
Rolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NT 150 511
Posts: 49,829
You know, Shuttit, it seems to me you're a bit guilty of that attitude yourself. You've repeatedly posted that in your opinion women are going to lose, with the implication that we shouldn't fight for our rights, and even that we're unjustified in trying to fight for our rights because we will lose, and then we won't have these rights any longer, so we're fighting for an illegitimate aim. You may not mean this, sometimes I don't know when your tongue is in your cheek and when it isn't, but that's how it comes over.

Nobody has a crystal ball. If we don't fight we will certainly lose. I do not regard "you're going to lose so you shouldn't be fighting" as a legitimate argument.

I also regard trying to figure out who is going to win, then joining that side in order to be on the winning side, as a contemptible position.
__________________
"The way we vote will depend, ultimately, on whether we are persuaded to hope or to fear." - Aonghas MacNeacail, June 2012.
Rolfe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2022, 09:05 AM   #2871
Ron Obvious
Muse
 
Ron Obvious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 894
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
when this thread started, the difficulty I had in mind was this: How do we let transwomen use women's restrooms while still blocking access to bad actors.

I thought then, and still think now, that bad actors, while rare, are a real problem, and that responsible public policy must provide some kind of mechanism or social norm for screening them out. I thought then, and still think now, that an "open door" policy would enable an increase in bad actions.

But a lot of my other thinking has changed.
[snip]
That's close to my own journey as well. What amazed me also was the science-denial on the part of many of the self-described sceptics.

But I've also come to the conclusion that a significant proportion of the "woke" (for lack of a better term) are really people with a strong desire or need to be seen as righteous activists on the right side of history. A lot of their own identity appears to be tied up in being perceived that way. It's possible that they're not even aware of it themselves.

I first noticed with sort of thing with animal rights activists of the PETA-type. The insight I had was that many of them don't really seem to care about animals all that much or even at all. It was the righteous activism that motivated them, not the cause itself. It's a kind of narcissism.

Today, this seems apparent in the trans debate. The sheer science denial and
empty-headed rhetoric as well as the complete lack of empathy for natal women and girls indicates their activism is motivated by a desire to be seen as righteous and fighting the good fight.

Combine that with the fears of being cancelled or sacked by the silent majority, and it explains much of the stupidity of our times.

We'll see if it passes the same way as other waves of idiocy or if social media will keep it alive beyond it's natural arc of existence.

I'm just glad I'm retired and have no kids in school so I don't need to worry about it all.
__________________
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." -- George Orwell
Ron Obvious is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2022, 09:13 AM   #2872
Rolfe
Adult human female
 
Rolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NT 150 511
Posts: 49,829
Originally Posted by Ron Obvious View Post
But I've also come to the conclusion that a significant proportion of the "woke" (for lack of a better term) are really people with a strong desire or need to be seen as righteous activists on the right side of history. A lot of their own identity appears to be tied up in being perceived that way. It's possible that they're not even aware of it themselves.

I first noticed with sort of thing with animal rights activists of the PETA-type. The insight I had was that many of them don't really seem to care about animals all that much or even at all. It was the righteous activism that motivated them, not the cause itself. It's a kind of narcissism.

Today, this seems apparent in the trans debate. The sheer science denial and empty-headed rhetoric as well as the complete lack of empathy for natal women and girls indicates their activism is motivated by a desire to be seen as righteous and fighting the good fight.

Combine that with the fears of being cancelled or sacked by the silent majority, and it explains much of the stupidity of our times.

We'll see if it passes the same way as other waves of idiocy or if social media will keep it alive beyond its natural arc of existence.

That's very perceptive and I will bear these insights in mind. As a vet, I totally know what you mean about the PETA-types.
__________________
"The way we vote will depend, ultimately, on whether we are persuaded to hope or to fear." - Aonghas MacNeacail, June 2012.
Rolfe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2022, 09:18 AM   #2873
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 19,697
One of the crusaders!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...urt-today.html

All together now: "Fight the good fight, with all thy might!"

(Gotta say: the Daily Mail and fundamentalist Christian nutters make most excellent bedfellows for the anti-transexual anti-transgender brigade, dontcha think...?)
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2022, 09:23 AM   #2874
Matthew Best
Philosopher
 
Matthew Best's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Leicester Square, London
Posts: 9,551
I don't see what this has got to do with religion - what did Jesus say about pronouns?
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2022, 09:24 AM   #2875
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 19,697
Originally Posted by Ron Obvious View Post
That's close to my own journey as well. What amazed me also was the science-denial on the part of many of the self-described sceptics.

But I've also come to the conclusion that a significant proportion of the "woke" (for lack of a better term) are really people with a strong desire or need to be seen as righteous activists on the right side of history. A lot of their own identity appears to be tied up in being perceived that way. It's possible that they're not even aware of it themselves.

I first noticed with sort of thing with animal rights activists of the PETA-type. The insight I had was that many of them don't really seem to care about animals all that much or even at all. It was the righteous activism that motivated them, not the cause itself. It's a kind of narcissism.

Today, this seems apparent in the trans debate. The sheer science denial and
empty-headed rhetoric as well as the complete lack of empathy for natal women and girls indicates their activism is motivated by a desire to be seen as righteous and fighting the good fight.

Combine that with the fears of being cancelled or sacked by the silent majority, and it explains much of the stupidity of our times.

We'll see if it passes the same way as other waves of idiocy or if social media will keep it alive beyond it's natural arc of existence.

I'm just glad I'm retired and have no kids in school so I don't need to worry about it all.

LMAO. Might want to look a little deeper into that one..... (Hint: holding reactionary and ignorant views isn't a particularly good look round here - or so I am led to believe )

I'm just glad your opinions have nothing whatsoever to do with the real-world and the medical & legislative policies that are supporting transgender people.
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2022, 09:25 AM   #2876
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 19,697
Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
I don't see what this has got to do with religion - what did Jesus say about pronouns?

Jesus could turn water into wine, but apparently He cannot turn a man into a woman. Or something.
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2022, 09:26 AM   #2877
Matthew Best
Philosopher
 
Matthew Best's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Leicester Square, London
Posts: 9,551
Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
Jesus could turn water into wine, but apparently He cannot turn a man into a woman. Or something.
But what did he say about pronouns?
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2022, 09:26 AM   #2878
Ron Obvious
Muse
 
Ron Obvious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 894
Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
LMAO. Might want to look a little deeper into that one..... (Hint: holding reactionary and ignorant views isn't a particularly good look round here - or so I am led to believe )
Your vapid LOLing confirms my suspicions.
__________________
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." -- George Orwell
Ron Obvious is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2022, 09:27 AM   #2879
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 19,697
Originally Posted by Ron Obvious View Post
Your vapid LOLing confirms my suspicions.

Outstanding rebuttal, Ron Obvious. Just outstanding. And ironically enough, it confirms my own suspicions too. Byeeee!
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2022, 09:30 AM   #2880
Rolfe
Adult human female
 
Rolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NT 150 511
Posts: 49,829
Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
One of the crusaders!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...urt-today.html

All together now: "Fight the good fight, with all thy might!"

(Gotta say: the Daily Mail and fundamentalist Christian nutters make most excellent bedfellows for the anti-transexual anti-transgender brigade, dontcha think...?)

Hitler was an animal-lover and a vegetarian.
__________________
"The way we vote will depend, ultimately, on whether we are persuaded to hope or to fear." - Aonghas MacNeacail, June 2012.
Rolfe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:23 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.