IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags alex jones , infowars

Old 20th September 2022, 08:42 AM   #1161
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

I thought that was fairly obvious from the way he's acted in court. If he could control himself, he would.
Old 20th September 2022, 08:59 AM   #1162
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

it's a side-effect of Getting Religion. After all, if God didn't like what Jones was doing, he would have smote him long ago.
Old 20th September 2022, 09:00 AM   #1163
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
“kind of crazy like Charlie Charles Manson.”
I've never heard him called that before.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2022, 03:15 PM   #1164
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Judge Lopez in Houston has hamstrung the plan Jones proposed to take Infowars out of bankruptcy. He insists that a completely independent trustee should run the company during restructuring, citing concerns for the incestuous relationships among the business entities that Jones controls. This should make his life a little less comfortable.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2022, 03:57 PM   #1165
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
it's a side-effect of Getting Religion. After all, if God didn't like what Jones was doing, he would have smote him long ago.
God seems to be moving in less mysterious, more predictable ways in this case. He is sending lawyers to do a little smiting right now.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2022, 04:01 PM   #1166
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe God is just turning up Jones' blood pressure a little at a time to see when he'll actually go "pop!"
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2022, 04:10 PM   #1167
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
Judge Lopez in Houston has hamstrung the plan Jones proposed to take Infowars out of bankruptcy. He insists that a completely independent trustee should run the company during restructuring, citing concerns for the incestuous relationships among the business entities that Jones controls. This should make his life a little less comfortable.
I suspect the trustee will discover that Jones has a casual relationship with Title 26 of the US Code (tax law) as well the truth.
Old 22nd September 2022, 11:38 AM   #1168
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

On going.

Alex Jones grilled by Sandy Hook families’ lawyer over hoax claims, doubles down on ‘deep state’ conspiracy l

Seems about as expected.
Old 22nd September 2022, 05:17 PM   #1169
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Why doesn't he just make an insanity plea and be done with it?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2022, 06:24 PM   #1170
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

(Not sure if this sort of thing has been covered before)

I know this is coming from an ex-wife (so normally you would take this with a grain of salt) and its not coming from a high-quality source, but she suggests that Jones' unhinged persona may be more 'real' than an act he uses to fleece the idiot demographic...

Alex Jones’ ex-wife Kelly said that the over-the-top, frequently flipped-out persona you’ve seen onscreen in Alex Jones is not an act, that he’s even worse in real life and “kind of crazy like Charlie Charles Manson.”
From what I've observed it's a little bit of both. Yes, he's a showman, so he does the over-the-top "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore," bit as an act, but at the same time he mostly believes the overarching evil conspiracy that he talks about.

He's also completely bonkers to work for; I like this account by one of his assistants:

Quote:
“Look at this great city shot,” he said pointing out the window at Austin’s skyline. As soon as I pulled the camera off him, he reached for the white Dixie cup. Is this really how I’m going to die? I thought to myself, imagining the scene: Jones veering too close to the guardrail, ranting about George Soros and Hillary Clinton. Sirens echoing in the distance, flashing lights reflecting off oil-soaked pavement as he grabs the camera and utters his final words, “Hillary ... rigged ... the car.” His listeners would have believed it. Years earlier, I would have believed it.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2022, 11:01 PM   #1171
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

"Your Honor? Permission to treat my Client as Hostile?"
Old 22nd September 2022, 11:20 PM   #1172
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Can lawyers request gag orders for their own clients?
Old 23rd September 2022, 02:49 AM   #1173
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Seriously, does he either not understand, or just not care, that riling up the judge presiding over your case is never going to end well. She has the patience of St. Monica.. I would have ruled him in contempt and chucked his arse in the slammer for 60 days for some of the BS he pulled in court today.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2022, 03:24 AM   #1174
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Jones and his lawyer think that at least one Juror is a "True American" who will refuse to convict no matter what.
Old 23rd September 2022, 07:47 AM   #1175
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

Jones and his lawyer think that at least one Juror is a "True American" who will refuse to convict no matter what.
This would be great news for Jones if this were in fact a criminal trial.
Old 23rd September 2022, 08:54 AM   #1176
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Stellafane View Post
This would be great news for Jones if this were in fact a criminal trial.

Or even if guilt were still an issue. He’s already been found liable, all they’re doing now is determining the amounts he owes.

Sent from my volcanic island lair using carrier pigeon.
Old 23rd September 2022, 12:25 PM   #1177
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"Your Honor? Permission to treat my Client as Hostile?"
"He's badgering the witness!"
"It's his witness!"

- Liar, Liar.

But again, so what? All we can do is give him fines, which his cult members will make sure he makes it back. I am 100% positive he's already made back the fines from the last trial.

He has literally no reason to change his behavior.
Old 6th October 2022, 12:29 PM   #1178
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

So after the fantastic legal strategy of "not putting up a defense", closing arguments have started in his trial.

Conspiracy theorist Alex Jones declined to take the stand in his own defense...Jones called the trial a "fraud" and told reporters he was likely not going to testify again because he could be held in contempt if he says he is "innocent."...

(I am being serious about it being a good legal strategy. Given how... unsympathetic... he is, avoiding the witness stand is probably a good thing for him.)

Attorneys for the families of the Sandy Hook victims highlighted the enormous profits Alex Jones had made from spreading conspiracy theories about the mass shooting during closing arguments on Thursday.

But it wouldn't be a Jones trial without his lawyers getting in trouble...

From the above:
Alex Jones’s lawyer was told off by the judge in his defamation trial for insinuating the Sandy Hook victims’ are in it for the money. “It doesn’t mean a thing here for the plaintiff’s lawyers if it doesn’t go ka-ching,” Norm Pattis said during his bizarre closing statement... Judge Bellis put a pause to the court proceedings to tell Mr Pattis to “refrain” from any further “personal attacks” against the other attorneys.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot

Last edited by Segnosaur; 6th October 2022 at 12:31 PM.
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2022, 01:52 PM   #1179
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

So after the fantastic legal strategy of "not putting up a defense", closing arguments have started in his trial.

Conspiracy theorist Alex Jones declined to take the stand in his own defense...Jones called the trial a "fraud" and told reporters he was likely not going to testify again because he could be held in contempt if he says he is "innocent."...

(I am being serious about it being a good legal strategy. Given how... unsympathetic... he is, avoiding the witness stand is probably a good thing for him.)

Attorneys for the families of the Sandy Hook victims highlighted the enormous profits Alex Jones had made from spreading conspiracy theories about the mass shooting during closing arguments on Thursday.

But it wouldn't be a Jones trial without his lawyers getting in trouble...

From the above:
Alex Jones’s lawyer was told off by the judge in his defamation trial for insinuating the Sandy Hook victims’ are in it for the money. “It doesn’t mean a thing here for the plaintiff’s lawyers if it doesn’t go ka-ching,” Norm Pattis said during his bizarre closing statement... Judge Bellis put a pause to the court proceedings to tell Mr Pattis to “refrain” from any further “personal attacks” against the other attorneys.
And I suppose his lawyers are doing the work pro bono in defense of Freedom, Justice and Truth? Or maybe not . . . .
Old 6th October 2022, 03:43 PM   #1180
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
"He's badgering the witness!"
"It's his witness!"

- Liar, Liar.

But again, so what? All we can do is give him fines, which his cult members will make sure he makes it back. I am 100% positive he's already made back the fines from the last trial.

He has literally no reason to change his behavior.
If the fine is billions, it's going to make that a LOT more difficult.
Old 6th October 2022, 04:51 PM   #1181
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
If the fine is billions, it's going to make that a LOT more difficult.
I'm not sure what "fines" are in play here that would amount to billions of dollars, or to any amount. Typically fines can be levied only for statutory or regulatory violations, which have not occurred in Jones' case to my knowledge. Damages, on the other hand, are what the court awards in cases like this. Actual damages must have some rational basis for the amount -- how much financial injury the victims actually incurred. As several have noted, there are limits to the amount of punitive damages may be extracted. And it's certainly going to be much lower than billions of dollars.

Paradoxically this could make things worse. If Jones plans to recoup damages owed to the plaintiffs by soliciting more donations, then he has to keep his traditional donors on the hook. That means spewing more of the conspiratorial garbage they expect, not less.
Old 6th October 2022, 07:28 PM   #1182
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not sure what "fines" are in play here that would amount to billions of dollars, or to any amount. Typically fines can be levied only for statutory or regulatory violations, which have not occurred in Jones' case to my knowledge. Damages, on the other hand, are what the court awards in cases like this. Actual damages must have some rational basis for the amount -- how much financial injury the victims actually incurred. As several have noted, there are limits to the amount of punitive damages may be extracted. And it's certainly going to be much lower than billions of dollars.

Paradoxically this could make things worse. If Jones plans to recoup damages owed to the plaintiffs by soliciting more donations, then he has to keep his traditional donors on the hook. That means spewing more of the conspiratorial garbage they expect, not less.
I bow to your deeper knowledge.

But I would argue that if Dominion Systems can ask for billions from multiple MAGA morons for defaming their product, then the plaintiffs in this case should be able to ask for billions as the potential value of their childrens' lives. Realising that no such amounts will ever eventuate, but settling for hundreds of millions instead. Enough to exhaust even the most ardent Infowars creep factory.
Old 6th October 2022, 08:39 PM   #1183
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

I bow to your deeper knowledge.
Not necessarily. I think I was more interested in whether Jones had gotten himself into regulatory hot water.

Quote:
But I would argue that if Dominion Systems can ask for billions from multiple MAGA morons for defaming their product, then the plaintiffs in this case should be able to ask for billions as the potential value of their childrens' lives.
In a defamation suit (and actually in any American lawsuit), the amount you ask for in the complaint has little discernible connection to reality, least of all to what the jury may award. Determining the size of the award -- which can be greater or smaller than the prayer for relief, under the "other remedies" clause -- is what this whole trial is about.

Punitive damages in theory have nothing to do with the estimated value of the injury. Actual damages seek to redress how much actual injury the plaintiff incurred, perversely including the (monetary) value to the parents of their children's lives. Punitive damages are entirely about how much the jury decides it needs to hurt the defendant in order to convince him not to misbehave again. Sadly, as we've seen, there are various caps on punitive damages that effectively prevent them from being any kind of deterrent to the kinds of defendants who seem to stand most in need of correction.
Old 6th October 2022, 08:52 PM   #1184
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Not necessarily. I think I was more interested in whether Jones had gotten himself into regulatory hot water.

In a defamation suit (and actually in any American lawsuit), the amount you ask for in the complaint has little discernible connection to reality, least of all to what the jury may award. Determining the size of the award -- which can be greater or smaller than the prayer for relief, under the "other remedies" clause -- is what this whole trial is about.

Punitive damages in theory have nothing to do with the estimated value of the injury. Actual damages seek to redress how much actual injury the plaintiff incurred, perversely including the (monetary) value to the parents of their children's lives. Punitive damages are entirely about how much the jury decides it needs to hurt the defendant in order to convince him not to misbehave again. Sadly, as we've seen, there are various caps on punitive damages that effectively prevent them from being any kind of deterrent to the kinds of defendants who seem to stand most in need of correction.
I get it. But I would make the opening ask north of one billion anyway.
Old 12th October 2022, 12:51 PM   #1185
eerok
Quixoticist

Jury awards in Waterbury CT to Sandy Hook families ... Jones is getting killed. Let's hope it sticks.

Nearly $1B...

Last edited by eerok; 12th October 2022 at 12:52 PM.
eerok is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2022, 12:57 PM   #1186
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Yikes! 965 million? I hope they get him for all he’s worth but will it come close to that?

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2022, 12:58 PM   #1187
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
The jury just awarded the Sandy Hook families, if my math is correct, $965,000,000 of Alex Jones' money. Just short of a Billion.
Old 12th October 2022, 01:07 PM   #1188
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

...wow.

Even though this is the Connecticut trial and not the Texas one with its absolute cap on awards, I anticipate Jones will not have to pay anything close to that.

Still though, what a message to send.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2022, 01:09 PM   #1189
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Good. I hope this sets a precedent for spreaders of disinformation.

Being wrong intentionally as a way to hurt people needs to have consequences again.
Old 12th October 2022, 01:09 PM   #1190
eerok
Quixoticist

Jones will certainly never pay that, but I hope the award stands unaltered as a message to all the other professional lying jackasses.
Old 12th October 2022, 01:22 PM   #1191
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

I get it. But I would make the opening ask north of one billion anyway.
It came in just slightly south of that. I tip my hat to your prognostication skills.
Old 12th October 2022, 01:31 PM   #1192
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
Jury awards in Waterbury CT to Sandy Hook families ... Jones is getting killed. Let's hope it sticks.

Nearly $1B...
Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
The jury just awarded the Sandy Hook families, if my math is correct, $965,000,000 of Alex Jones' money. Just short of a Billion.
Now let's hang the fat ass gasbag upside down until every penny he has is gone.

Last edited by acbytesla; 12th October 2022 at 01:48 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2022, 01:35 PM   #1193
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Yikes! 965 million? I hope they get him for all he’s worth but will it come close to that?
If true, it wouldn't shock me. If not, distribute whatever his net worth is to the plaintiffs. Then sue any broadcast platform willing to feature him.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2022, 01:35 PM   #1194
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Yay, suffer, Jones!

Alex Jones told to pay $965m damages to Sandy Hook victims' families https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-63237092
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2022, 01:37 PM   #1195
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
...wow.

Even though this is the Connecticut trial and not the Texas one with its absolute cap on awards, I anticipate Jones will not have to pay anything close to that.

Still though, what a message to send.
They can get as close as humanly possible.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2022, 01:40 PM   #1196
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Now let's hang the fat ass upside down until every penny he has is gone.
I mean that literally.
Old 12th October 2022, 01:45 PM   #1197
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I wish there was a legal way to make so any donations from his followers to Alex Jones automatically went to the Sandy Hook families and DIDN'T count toward the total.
Old 12th October 2022, 01:51 PM   #1198
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Unfortunately, this ass wipe will continue to grift off his credulous, moronic followers, and find some way to hide the grift.

To quote Hitchens "He should be sitting on a sidewalk, selling pencils from a cup."

Last edited by Resume; 12th October 2022 at 02:01 PM.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2022, 01:54 PM   #1199
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Oh like any good piece of **** he'll float to the top.
Old 12th October 2022, 02:14 PM   #1200
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

It came in just slightly south of that. I tip my hat to your prognostication skills.
Prognostication, hardly. Fervent hope, certainly. Now, please excuse me - I have a lottery ticket I want to "fervently hope" to Zeus about.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories