IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Welcome!

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags newbies , welcome , welcome posts

Old 2nd December 2021, 02:15 AM   #3321
Poem
Thinker

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
The concept has been discussed many times in the past. And the consensus is that long-term members didn't like the idea of turning conversations into a popularity contest.

That said, there is a literal popularity contest on this forum - the Foolmewunz Memorial Language Awards, the thread for which you will find in Community. The Nominate button at the bottom left of a post allows you to nominate that post for an award, which is decided monthly and the winner of which gets a nifty banner beneath their name. It's not the same as a Like button, though - it should be used to express appreciation of the language of a post, not to simply express agreement with it.

This is one of just many ongoing traditions that await your discovery. Soon, you too will discover the joy of dicksing your own potatoes!
Much appreciated info arthwollipot. Ta.

Dicksing your own potatoes???

No way to edit an opening post?
Poem is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2021, 07:38 AM   #3322
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Poem View Post
Much appreciated info arthwollipot. Ta.

Dicksing your own potatoes???

No way to edit an opening post?
If I recall correctly the editing window, for any post, is two hours.

ETA: Within that window the edit button will appear first on the lower right.

Last edited by The Man; 4th December 2021 at 07:39 AM. Reason: eta
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2021, 10:08 PM   #3323
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
If I recall correctly the editing window, for any post, is two hours.

ETA: Within that window the edit button will appear first on the lower right.
And again, that window is for historical reasons. When this forum was owned by the James Randi Educational Foundation and used for challenges where there was literally a million dollars at stake, they didn't want people to be able to claim that they did or didn't say something earlier in the thread and justify themselves by going back and editing older posts.
Old 5th December 2021, 11:24 PM   #3324
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
And again, that window is for historical reasons. When this forum was owned by the James Randi Educational Foundation and used for challenges where there was literally a million dollars at stake, they didn't want people to be able to claim that they did or didn't say something earlier in the thread and justify themselves by going back and editing older posts.
I think it still is helpful, since many posts elicit specific responses, and changing the thing responded to can be dishonest, and even when honest it can be confusing. In fast moving threads, its a good idea, I think, to make even quick edits obvious with an "edit to add" notation, unless one is just cleaning up typos or polishing language.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2021, 03:53 PM   #3325
TiercelR
New Blood

Hello all from mexico city.

Hello all from mexico city.

This forum do have very very interesting information in all their posts.

Possiblyment my future posts could have too a some words of interest for the members of this forum.

My native idiom is not the english idiom, but i will do all the possible for to communicate well.

Thanks, and regards.

Last edited by TiercelR; 11th December 2021 at 03:56 PM.
TiercelR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2021, 10:48 PM   #3326
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Welcome to the forum, TiercelR. Your English seems to be good enough to make your meaning clear.
Old 12th December 2021, 08:03 PM   #3327
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

English is a very forgiving language really, despite its fearful reputation.
Old 27th December 2021, 08:03 AM   #3328
nezumi
New Blood

Hello fellow humans.

I promise I'm not an alien (unless you're from somewhere other than Earth, in which case I am. Also Hi!).

I haven't even eavesdropped for a while before this so this should be fun! I prefer to jump in headfirst and ask questions later - unless I've already ratonalised everything and don't bother asking questions because I've assumed the answers already.

Be prepared!
nezumi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2021, 08:48 AM   #3329
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by nezumi View Post
I promise I'm not an alien (unless you're from somewhere other than Earth, in which case I am. Also Hi!).

I haven't even eavesdropped for a while before this so this should be fun! I prefer to jump in headfirst and ask questions later - unless I've already ratonalised everything and don't bother asking questions because I've assumed the answers already.

Be prepared!
Welcome, nezumi. As far as I know my paternal grandfather was an anchor alien. Born here on Earth (as well as the USA) while his parents had to go back from whence they came. Also I don't recall any kind of bot test when signing up.

So human or not, wellcome everyone.

To quote Caesar from "Conquest of the Planet of the Apes"

"And we, who are not human, can afford to be humane."
Old 27th December 2021, 10:26 AM   #3330
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

As far as I know I was born on earth or a facsimile of it (some might make a case that New Haven is,like the mouth of a Klein bottle, not exactly in or out and its somewhere is not quite anywhere) but have been told often enough to return to earth that it's a little ambiguous where I have been since, so welcome, fellow traveler.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2022, 12:14 AM   #3331
Dude111
Muse

Welcome to the site everyone!!!!!
Dude111 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Welcome!