IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old 28th November 2021, 09:44 AM   #1681
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

61 of around 600 people arriving in Amsterdam from South Africa test positive for Covid. That's 10%.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59451103

19 test positive for the Omicron variant.

Those are very high numbers. The prevalence in the UK is supposed to be around 2%. Unless there's some weird **** going on there's a very high number of people in South Africa with Covid at the moment. I'd expect people who can afford to travel, who have been vaccinated and who are well enough to travel to be significantly less likely to have Covid than the general population.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2021, 10:07 AM   #1682
Planigale
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Boris says compulsory mask wearing is back next week. Shops and public transport but not in pubs, restaurants, bars, nightclubs.

So a waste of time.
No not a waste of time. Please do wear a mask. It might be more effective if you wear a mask when eating or drinking (certainly it would reduce the public health threat from obesity and alcohol), but that does not mean wearing a mask in other situations such as shopping has no impact on virus transmission.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2021, 10:09 AM   #1683
Planigale
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
61 of around 600 people arriving in Amsterdam from South Africa test positive for Covid. That's 10%.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59451103

19 test positive for the Omicron variant.

Those are very high numbers. The prevalence in the UK is supposed to be around 2%. Unless there's some weird **** going on there's a very high number of people in South Africa with Covid at the moment. I'd expect people who can afford to travel, who have been vaccinated and who are well enough to travel to be significantly less likely to have Covid than the general population.
What is interesting is a large percentage appear to be asymptomatic, vaccinated, but infected. This implies that vaccination does not prevent infection by omicron, but it may prevent illness and death. So a good reason to maximise vaccine coverage.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2021, 12:36 PM   #1684
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Spain bans all unvaccinated visitors from the UK
Only vaccinated visitors (and their children) can travel to Spain, effective 1 Dec.

Spain will only allow *fully-vaccinated* UK visitors over the age of 12, must have both doses.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 28th November 2021 at 12:37 PM.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2021, 01:08 AM   #1685
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Mrs Don and I are looking forward to clarification from the UK government on testing and travel arrangements. Mrs Don's mother is due to come to us on December 22nd for Christmas.

The guidelines announced on Saturday say that everyone arriving from overseas much have a PCR test by the end of the second day. It's not clear whether that means that they can take the test on the first day or whether it had to be on the second day.

Our concern is that, with Christmas and all, we may not hear back about the test results until the 27th or 28th if she's tested on the 23rd. Of course everything is subject to change and all non-essential international travel could be banned and/or we could be on full lockdown again (or at least the much watered-down UK version thereof).
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2021, 01:10 AM   #1686
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
What is interesting is a large percentage appear to be asymptomatic, vaccinated, but infected. This implies that vaccination does not prevent infection by omicron, but it may prevent illness and death. So a good reason to maximise vaccine coverage.
Various analyses have suggested that the sheer number of infections seem to show that Omicron must be very infectious and that one or two individuals are likely to have infected the rest on board (which poses the question of how many passengers have subsequently been infected). This also seems to indicate a very short incubation time.

edited to add.....

I was miles out of date. There were multiple strains and so it's less infectious but more ubiquitous.

https://twitter.com/CorneliusRoemer/...01876707434496

Last edited by The Don; 30th November 2021 at 01:40 AM.
Old 30th November 2021, 01:41 AM   #1687
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

This Omicron is bloody clever It seems to be able to tell the difference between Next and the Starbucks next door.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2021, 02:18 AM   #1688
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

This Omicron is bloody clever It seems to be able to tell the difference between Next and the Starbucks next door.
If that's a dig at the fact that the rules are different for retailers and hospitality venues then I agree, if transmissibility were the only criterion then the rules should be the same.

The trouble is that, unless we're going to return to "takeaway only", hospitality venues cannot continue to trade if they require patrons to me masked all the time.

If Omicron is dangerous (highly transmissible, highly likely to cause severe illness and/or death) then an immediate lockdown would be a prudent course of action. I'm not sure we know enough to make that call and while I would be reluctantly prepared to put up with another lockdown Christmas for the sake of public health, I'm likely in a small minority.
Old 30th November 2021, 07:41 AM   #1689
steenkh
Philosopher

Fortunately, it appears that Omicron is less dangerous than other variants. So far not a single patient has needed to go to the hospital. A virologist in a Danish paper thinks that if this stands, and Omicron can outcompete the other variants, Omicron could be a big advantage for us.

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2021, 08:01 AM   #1690
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Virus parties, with everyone dressed as Omicronians, here we come!

- Robert M. Pirsig
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2021, 09:10 AM   #1691
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Finally, COVID has caught up with the Best household - my wife and daughter both tested positive on Sunday, so they now have to self-isolate at hme for the next 10 days. I, however, continue to test negative and, as I'm fully vaccinated, the government imposes no restrictions on my movements, so I can continue to go out, do the shopping and take public transport.

What's more, my work is a bit more strict about this than the government, so I'm not allowed to go to the office! Result!
Matthew Best is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2021, 09:32 AM   #1692
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Finally, COVID has caught up with the Best household - my wife and daughter both tested positive on Sunday, so they now have to self-isolate at hme for the next 10 days. I, however, continue to test negative and, as I'm fully vaccinated, the government imposes no restrictions on my movements, so I can continue to go out, do the shopping and take public transport.

What's more, my work is a bit more strict about this than the government, so I'm not allowed to go to the office! Result!
Noticed this a lot. “You are living with two diseased ridden plague carriers and you think we want you to come into work?”
Old 30th November 2021, 10:03 AM   #1693
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Likewise with my work.

But we have just moved back from mixed home/office work to work from home unless absolutely necessary, and then have a negative LFT to get onsite.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK

Last edited by jimbob; 30th November 2021 at 10:11 AM. Reason: clarifiaction
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2021, 06:35 PM   #1694
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Fortunately for me, I'm unable to work from home, so I've been working on site for the entirety of the pandemic - until now.

I was planning to take my daughter to the Hackney Empire panto this Saturday afternoon, and was a bit annoyed that I had work night shifts Friday and Saturday, which would have led to me being pretty exhausted. Now I'll be at home all weekend, so I can go to the panto with full energy, but sadly my daughter can't go because she has tested positive.

My wife tells me that going to a panto as a lone man is a bit weird.
Matthew Best is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2021, 10:37 PM   #1695
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Oh no it's not
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2021, 11:28 PM   #1696
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Fortunately for me, I'm unable to work from home, so I've been working on site for the entirety of the pandemic - until now.

I was planning to take my daughter to the Hackney Empire panto this Saturday afternoon, and was a bit annoyed that I had work night shifts Friday and Saturday, which would have led to me being pretty exhausted. Now I'll be at home all weekend, so I can go to the panto with full energy, but sadly my daughter can't go because she has tested positive.

My wife tells me that going to a panto as a lone man is a bit weird.
How else it could be? Anybody thought Murphy ever sleeps?

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2021, 12:57 AM   #1697
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Generally I have little or no sympathy for the UK government and its headline chasing approach to policy but.....

Yesterday Boris Johnson announced that the government was aiming to offer everyone over the age of 18 a booster before the end of January. Portions of the press seem to have interpreted this as everyone being vaccinated before the end of January as opposed to being offered an appointment by the end of January for a vaccination some time later.

That said, there's plenty of examples of the government doing their usual terrible job over the past few days.

They announced an acceleration to the booster programme - a friend who is a GP in England said it was a surprise to him and he had no idea where the extra resources would come from.

Advice over mixing and Christmas has been mixed, to say the least. Most of the government seem to be saying that there's no need for any extra precautions whilst the scientific advice seems to contradict this. I expect a post-Christmas explosion in cases unless the government do the politically impossible and "cancel Christmas" again.
Old 1st December 2021, 12:58 AM   #1698
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Mrs Don and I are looking forward to clarification from the UK government on testing and travel arrangements. Mrs Don's mother is due to come to us on December 22nd for Christmas.

The guidelines announced on Saturday say that everyone arriving from overseas much have a PCR test by the end of the second day. It's not clear whether that means that they can take the test on the first day or whether it had to be on the second day.

Our concern is that, with Christmas and all, we may not hear back about the test results until the 27th or 28th if she's tested on the 23rd. Of course everything is subject to change and all non-essential international travel could be banned and/or we could be on full lockdown again (or at least the much watered-down UK version thereof).
Looks like she can take the test on arrival which would mean we'd have the results by end of day on the 23rd which in turn means that, assuming a negative test, our Christmas plans wouldn't be too deranged.
Old 3rd December 2021, 05:08 AM   #1699
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Klimax View Post
How else it could be? Anybody thought Murphy ever sleeps?
Sorry, but I didn't understand this response. How else could what be? Who's Murphy? Is this something to do with Jack & The Beanstalk?
Old 3rd December 2021, 05:25 AM   #1700
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Sorry, but I didn't understand this response. How else could what be? Who's Murphy? Is this something to do with Jack & The Beanstalk?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murphy%27s_law

Also known as Sod's Law.

Last edited by Pixel42; 3rd December 2021 at 05:27 AM.
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2021, 04:36 AM   #1701
Planigale
Philosopher

Generally I have little or no sympathy for the UK government and its headline chasing approach to policy but.....

Yesterday Boris Johnson announced that the government was aiming to offer everyone over the age of 18 a booster before the end of January. Portions of the press seem to have interpreted this as everyone being vaccinated before the end of January as opposed to being offered an appointment by the end of January for a vaccination some time later.

That said, there's plenty of examples of the government doing their usual terrible job over the past few days.

They announced an acceleration to the booster programme - a friend who is a GP in England said it was a surprise to him and he had no idea where the extra resources would come from.

Advice over mixing and Christmas has been mixed, to say the least. Most of the government seem to be saying that there's no need for any extra precautions whilst the scientific advice seems to contradict this. I expect a post-Christmas explosion in cases unless the government do the politically impossible and "cancel Christmas" again.
This is standard behaviour by governments of all parties. They announce a policy changes without consulting with your friend first. Usually the first thought is how are going to do this as well, as we have enough work to do already. Then they announce some resource to support the policy.
Old 4th December 2021, 03:07 PM   #1702
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

The Met say in relation to the Downing St Christmas party that they don’t investigate crimes retrospectively.
That is literally the only way you can investigate crimes.
Old 4th December 2021, 03:08 PM   #1703
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

They had a cop stood outside and more inside for ***** sake
Old 4th December 2021, 04:33 PM   #1704
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

I'm looking forward to going to some Christmas parties this year. Last year I only went to gatherings that were reasonably necessary for work, which happened to include booze, nibbles and games
Old 5th December 2021, 04:04 AM   #1705
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Precisely.

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2021, 07:41 AM   #1706
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Looks like she can take the test on arrival which would mean we'd have the results by end of day on the 23rd which in turn means that, assuming a negative test, our Christmas plans wouldn't be too deranged.
You have to take a test by the end of Day 2. Your arrival day is Day 0.
Note that the test must be private- you can't use an NHS one, so you'll need to book one in advance.
It's also got to be PCR, not lateral flow, and you'll have to self-isolate until you get a negative result.
Don't forget to book the exit PCR tests as well: you'll need the results before you can get on the plane.
Old 5th December 2021, 08:57 AM   #1707
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Raab on the BBC this morning,
"The police don't normally look back and investigate things that have taken place a year ago"
Old 5th December 2021, 12:59 PM   #1708
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Have you been robbed next week? Call the police.
Old 5th December 2021, 02:14 PM   #1709
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Minority Report!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2021, 03:23 AM   #1710
Wudang
BOFH

Raab on the BBC this morning,
"The police don't normally look back and investigate things that have taken place a year ago"
The Secret barrister on twitter
Quote:
@DominicRaab
is right.

Due to the savage cuts his government has made to every part of the justice system, the police are normally looking back and investigating things that took place three or four years ago.
Old 6th December 2021, 04:12 AM   #1711
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

In the supermarket shopping over the weekend.
At least 30% not wearing masks.
Copper in the till queue doing and saying nothing.
A law that is not being enforced or adhered to.
Any more tightening of restrictions will be totally pointless.
This is what happens when the government loses credibility and trust.
Old 6th December 2021, 06:08 AM   #1712
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

In the supermarket shopping over the weekend.
At least 30% not wearing masks.
Copper in the till queue doing and saying nothing.
A law that is not being enforced or adhered to.
Any more tightening of restrictions will be totally pointless.
This is what happens when the government loses credibility and trust.
....and yet they're still ahead in the polls
Old 6th December 2021, 06:11 AM   #1713
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

The Met Police happens to be, this week, prosecuting an alleged illegal gathering on December 18 last year.

Not in Downing Street, but a house in Ilford.

As it happens, there are 14 prosecutions in London for alleged breaches in Dec last year.
Old 7th December 2021, 09:51 AM   #1714
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Oh goody, the nutjobs aren't confined to the US

Quote:
Two people were killed and four injured, including a 10-year-old child, when a gunman opened fire inside a public services office in Moscow on Tuesday, Russian officials say.

The suspect - who was later detained - reportedly started shooting after being told to put a face mask on.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/5955...ost_type=share
Old 8th December 2021, 09:05 AM   #1715
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Wales is in turmoil, the 'Phonics have called off their Cardiff gigs with Tom Jones:

Quote:
Two Stereophonics gigs planned for December have been postponed amid growing concerns about the new Omicron variant of Covid.

It comes as four more cases of the variant are confirmed in Wales, bringing the total to nine.

The band were due to perform with Sir Tom Jones at Cardiff's Principality Stadium on 17 and 18 December.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59548622
Old 8th December 2021, 10:45 AM   #1716
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Boris Johnson will hold a Covid news conference at 18:00GMT
It comes as leaked minutes reveal scientists' fears that Omicron hospital admissions could reach at least 1,000 day if restrictions aren't toughened
And sources said the Cabinet had been discussing a potential move to "plan B" measures in England, including working from home

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/59575030

Why does he think anyone will take any notice of him?
Old 8th December 2021, 10:55 AM   #1717
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Boris Johnson will hold a Covid news conference at 18:00GMT
It comes as leaked minutes reveal scientists' fears that Omicron hospital admissions could reach at least 1,000 day if restrictions aren't toughened
And sources said the Cabinet had been discussing a potential move to "plan B" measures in England, including working from home

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/59575030

Why does he think anyone will take any notice of him?
Perhaps he will supply cheese and wine at the press conference.
Old 8th December 2021, 11:21 AM   #1718
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

He announces that Plan B restrictions will be re-introduced in England, including guidance to work from home
Face masks will also have to be worn in more public venues, including cinemas and theatres
Covid passes proving vaccination or a negative test will be required at nightclubs and venues with large crowds.
Old 8th December 2021, 12:31 PM   #1719
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

And “what party” can be made to disappear as the major Tory supporting media lavish praise on Johnson taking timely action….
Old 8th December 2021, 02:53 PM   #1720
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Nobody is listening to Johnson anymore. Not even his own party' and it’s all his own fault.
The police will not enforce the new laws to any significant degree. So the unavoidable deaths will continue.

History will not judge this period well.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics