ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags ghosts

Old 12th February 2020, 08:09 PM   #441
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
And I suppose the concucombine is how you all harvest your grain crops.
We go camping in our concucombie.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 08:35 PM   #442
Pope130
Illuminator

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
We go camping in our concucombie.

Powered, no doubt, by a concucombustion engine.
Pope130 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 08:38 PM   #443
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Very astute, mister Axxman300. 10 points to Griffindor.
Also, ghosts are transparent.

Not the ones that look like bed sheets.
Old 12th February 2020, 08:42 PM   #444
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
Powered, no doubt, by a concucombustion engine.
We hacked it. It's now conculectric!

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 05:43 PM   #445
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
[/hilite]

Not the ones that look like bed sheets.
I had an experience recently that made me think about how people may end up believing in spirits/ghosts.

I have always had vivid dreams and also was able to control dreams and lucid dream when I was young. I dream frequently and with that comes quite a number of sleep paralysis events. As such, I'm quite used to dealing with sleep interruptions.

The other night, about 3ish, I heard a very distinct voice in my ear say, "Wake up [EHocking]". I didn't recognise the voice and it was clear enough to wake me.

My wife was not home that night, so I had the place to myself.
I put my phone in sleep mode, so no interruptions from that.

I've experienced similar voices in my ear like this while dreaming (or in a dream state), so while it is a little unsettling at the time, such occurrances really don't phase me much. I wake up, realise it was just a dream and then go back to sleep.

After the last "voice in my head", a thought occurred that this sort of thing could cause some people to become upset and confused.
I'm a fairly rational, logical person and have no inklings of spiritual/religious tendencies, but I can see how such an experience could affect people with a superstitious nature, or even just someone who has never experienced this sort of thing before.

Perhaps this inclination toward superstition back in "less enlightened" times in history had some influence on a general acceptance of ghostly visits?
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 06:39 PM   #446
Jodie
Philosopher

I don't know about apparitions but some really weird stuff that I've discussed on here before has happened to me. The weirdest incident was finding my grandmother's lost dentures in the flush mount ceiling light fixture of her bedroom. I still can't figure out how they got into the light cover.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 07:09 PM   #447
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
I don't know about apparitions but some really weird stuff that I've discussed on here before has happened to me. The weirdest incident was finding my grandmother's lost dentures in the flush mount ceiling light fixture of her bedroom. I still can't figure out how they got into the light cover.
Human agency obviously.

Someone thought it was a good idea at the time.

Good luck finding out who.
Old 17th February 2020, 03:26 PM   #448
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
Human agency obviously.

Someone thought it was a good idea at the time.

Good luck finding out who.
The only human's in the house were me, a 72 year old woman, and a 94 year old woman. I didn't do it and the other two couldn't balance or climb anything to put it up there. The mystery remains unsolved.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2020, 03:46 PM   #449
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
The only human's in the house were me, a 72 year old woman, and a 94 year old woman. I didn't do it and the other two couldn't balance or climb anything to put it up there. The mystery remains unsolved.
Was one of those two women your grandmother? Sounds like they were lost and then found fairly quickly. Why did you look in the light fixture?
Old 17th February 2020, 06:09 PM   #450
showmevegas
Scholar

Well obviously it was very balanced, agile,light fixture denture hiding non human something...
showmevegas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2020, 05:50 AM   #451
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
I had an experience recently that made me think about how people may end up believing in spirits/ghosts.

I have always had vivid dreams and also was able to control dreams and lucid dream when I was young. I dream frequently and with that comes quite a number of sleep paralysis events. As such, I'm quite used to dealing with sleep interruptions.

The other night, about 3ish, I heard a very distinct voice in my ear say, "Wake up [EHocking]". I didn't recognise the voice and it was clear enough to wake me.

My wife was not home that night, so I had the place to myself.
I put my phone in sleep mode, so no interruptions from that.

I've experienced similar voices in my ear like this while dreaming (or in a dream state), so while it is a little unsettling at the time, such occurrances really don't phase me much. I wake up, realise it was just a dream and then go back to sleep.

After the last "voice in my head", a thought occurred that this sort of thing could cause some people to become upset and confused.
I'm a fairly rational, logical person and have no inklings of spiritual/religious tendencies, but I can see how such an experience could affect people with a superstitious nature, or even just someone who has never experienced this sort of thing before.

Perhaps this inclination toward superstition back in "less enlightened" times in history had some influence on a general acceptance of ghostly visits?
There's a state between sleeping and waking called HypnagogiaWP when you can experience dreams remarkably lucidly. I've only experienced it a few times but I clearly recall one where someone was speaking to me, I woke up and scoured the room to find them as "they were right there, dammit". Then I realized.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal