ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Old Yesterday, 01:47 PM   #3281
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Then what is the underlying crime not dependent on the preferences of Parliament?
The preferences of Parliament are irrelevant. If proroging Parliament was unlawful then it remains unlawful regardless of the preference of Parliament.
Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM   #3282
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
This is from a newspaper piece, where Eadie is one of the Govt. counsels in the Supreme Court hearing that's going on. It might clear up a few things for you:

"Eadie struggled on, each argument weaker than the last. If parliament hadnít wanted to be prorogued, why wasnít it doing something to stop being prorogued? He still hadnít quite grasped that parliament canít do anything when it is prorogued. Fairly basic stuff, youíd have thought. The time-sensitive legislation could be dealt with when parliament returned. Apart from the bits that were time sensitive. He didnít even seem entirely sure of the difference between recess and prorogation."
Does it matter if parliament opposed it or not?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM   #3283
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

For the third? time. No.
Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM   #3284
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
The preferences of Parliament are irrelevant. If proroging Parliament was unlawful then it remains unlawful regardless of the preference of Parliament.

Why would it ever be unlawful to prorogue parliament?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:52 PM   #3285
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

For the third? time. No.
I already know your opinion. I'm asking glennb.

If glennb agrees with the position that Glenn quoted, glennb's response to my question affects the follow up question.

And glennb may not agree with you, so I will not presume glennb's position.
Old Yesterday, 02:34 PM   #3286
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Read the piece again.
Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM   #3287
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

This is from a newspaper piece, where Eadie is one of the Govt. counsels in the Supreme Court hearing that's going on. It might clear up a few things for you:

"Eadie struggled on, each argument weaker than the last. If parliament hadnít wanted to be prorogued, why wasnít it doing something to stop being prorogued? He still hadnít quite grasped that parliament canít do anything when it is prorogued. Fairly basic stuff, youíd have thought. The time-sensitive legislation could be dealt with when parliament returned. Apart from the bits that were time sensitive. He didnít even seem entirely sure of the difference between recess and prorogation."
Do I recognise the writing style of John Crace there?
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:44 PM   #3288
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Read the piece again.
Doesnt answer my question. The quote suggests they wouldn't have the ability to oppose it if they did oppose it. That is a separate from my question if it matters if they do or do not.
Old Yesterday, 02:48 PM   #3289
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Way things are going Boris may go down as the worst PM since Lord North...you know the PM from the early 1770's to 1781 who brought on the American Revolution, and them managed to lose the Revolutionary War.....

On a minor note, we can add Marvel Comic Charecters to the long list of things Boris knows nothing about.....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM   #3290
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Why would it ever be unlawful to prorogue parliament?
if the supreme court finds it was then it will be.

why would you think the opinion of parliament would matter?
Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM   #3291
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

I already know your opinion. I'm asking glennb.

If glennb agrees with the position that Glenn quoted, glennb's response to my question affects the follow up question.

And glennb may not agree with you, so I will not presume glennb's position.
its not an opinion its a fact.

if John robs a bank it doesn't matter how many of the bank employees are happy or indifferent to the robbery. a crime is a crime.

Last edited by Archie Gemmill Goal; Yesterday at 03:09 PM.
Archie Gemmill Goal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM   #3292
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Do I recognise the writing style of John Crace there?
It is he
Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM   #3293
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And another thread Bobbed...….

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:13 PM   #3294
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And another thread Bobbed...Ö.

Robert Heinlein.
Old Yesterday, 03:41 PM   #3295
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

its not an opinion its a fact.

if John robs a bank it doesn't matter how many of the bank employees are happy or indifferent to the robbery. a crime is a crime.
As if no one has ever had a different position on a claim of fact on this forum.

I will allow glennb to answer the question. I know your position.
Old Yesterday, 03:43 PM   #3296
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Originally Posted by commandlinegamer View Post
It's not that difficult to squat on a w.c., but I wouldn't advise it in a public lavatory given how loose those seats frequently are.
This is where advanced yoga comes in handy.

As an alternative they could lift the seat up.

Although learning advanced yoga might be less intellectually taxing for the average yoga practitioner.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:44 PM   #3297
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

if the supreme court finds it was then it will be.

why would you think the opinion of parliament would matter?
I have no opinion on that.
Old Yesterday, 04:25 PM   #3298
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And another thread bites the dust.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:45 PM   #3299
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
IIRR my tuition fees in the late '80s were around IR£2,500. I had earned sufficient for my first two years, including living expenses, before I started.
At college many of my peers were working part-time.

I wonder how many part-time jobs the environs surrounding most universities can provide?

Enough for every student that might be in need of one?

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:09 PM   #3300
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

By the way, I had read the Scottish decision before, I thought it spent very little time establishing why prorogation could be criminal. It was mostly about establishment that Johnson tried to restrict parliament and justiciability.

The argument it is illegal is one paragraph. It basically says it is the application of the common law informed by the principle of the rule of law (paragraph 51)

As a foreigner, I don't have the background to reach that shorthand conclusion. That is the piece I want to know more specifics about.
Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM   #3301
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

By the way, I had read the Scottish decision before, I thought it spent very little time establishing why prorogation could be criminal. It was mostly about establishment that Johnson tried to restrict parliament and justiciability.

The argument it is illegal is one paragraph. It basically says it is the application of the common law informed by the principle of the rule of law (paragraph 51)

As a foreigner, I don't have the background to reach that shorthand conclusion. That is the piece I want to know more specifics about.
Old Yesterday, 10:05 PM   #3302
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

EU gives Boris Johnson ultimatum: Show us Brexit plan in 12 days or Ďitís overí

Looks like patience is MIA...

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:17 PM   #3303
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Way things are going Boris may go down as the worst PM since Lord North...you know the PM from the early 1770's to 1781 who brought on the American Revolution, and them managed to lose the Revolutionary War.....

On a minor note, we can add Marvel Comic Charecters to the long list of things Boris knows nothing about.....
Well, he has Churchill's attention to detail and practicality coupled with Eden's strategic grasp.

And Enoch Powell's unifying instinct with Profumo's ability to avoid compromising relationships
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending

Last edited by jimbob; Yesterday at 10:24 PM.
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:53 PM   #3304
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Klimax View Post
Exactly what Boris Johnson wants. A no deal with the opportunity to blame the EU. We could have had a deal if only they hadn't asked for details of the deal.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:52 PM   #3305
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Klimax View Post
It looks like Boris Johnson's plan is to present the UK's proposals so late that there's no opportunity to subject them to proper scrutiny.

If the plan is accepted then it's a victory for Boris because the plan will be deeply flawed. If it isn't then he can blame the EU for dismissing the UK's fantastic plan out of hand

Quote:
A Downing Street source said: "We will continue negotiating and put forward proposals at the appropriate time."
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:59 PM   #3306
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
It looks like Boris Johnson's plan is to ........
You think he has a plan
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:21 AM   #3307
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

It looks like Boris Johnson's plan is to present the UK's proposals so late that there's no opportunity to subject them to proper scrutiny.

If the plan is accepted then it's a victory for Boris because the plan will be deeply flawed. If it isn't then he can blame the EU for dismissing the UK's fantastic plan out of hand
That's what the article says:

Reports suggest ideas brought to Brussels by UK negotiators have amounted to the same as the old agreement, with the section on the Irish backstop simply crossed out in the text. UK sources have also reportedly suggested full proposals are being deliberately held back to the last minute for timing reasons.

In other words yes, BJ is probably going to present something at the last minute and then fume at the EU for not accepting his hard work. Given the dearth of possibilies, I suspect it will be a NI-only backstop or something of that nature.

That might actually pass, but articles such as these make it less likely.

McHrozni
Old Today, 12:22 AM   #3308
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
You think he has a plan
Yes, the plan (in full and at its greatest level of detail) is:
  1. Leave the EU with no deal
  2. Attempt to blame the EU
  3. Money (from shorting the pound and FTSE)
Old Today, 12:35 AM   #3309
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
You think he has a plan
It's a very generous definition of a "plan".

McHrozni
Old Today, 12:57 AM   #3310
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Or to create enough ill will that they dont agree to the extension?

I would vote against an extension if it meant never having to see Ann Widdecombe again.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics