ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit , Theresa May , uk elections , uk politics

View Poll Results: How long will UK Prime Minister Theresa May Last?
She'll last a month at most 8 17.78%
She won't last out the week 3 6.67%
She'll last for two weeks 2 4.44%
She'll last until the next Tory Conference in October 2017 20 44.44%
She'll last until the next General Election 8 17.78%
She'll ride out the storm and serve the full term 2 4.44%
Who cares <shrug>? 2 4.44%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11th June 2017, 05:22 AM   #41
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
I don't disagree with this but the alternatives seem just as bad or worse. Labour did worse in the election so have even less authority or credibility. Another Tory leader will have the same problems plus not having been elected by the public.

May really has to reach out to all parties to try to cobble together some consensus on Brexit rather than focus on her narrow view of what it means. I think that's the only way forward now.
]
In a world of make-believe, the best ideas and people in Conservative and Labour would put aside political and personal differences, co-operate and negotiate the best for all countries in the EU.

Last edited by SusanB-M1; 11th June 2017 at 05:24 AM.
SusanB-M1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2017, 05:26 AM   #42
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ohms View Post
Yes I think she will cling on that long, only because there doesn't currently seem to be anyone else the Tory party will unite behind.
On that basis, what standing will she have in her negotiations with EU27 representatives? "Johnnie Foreigner" will walk all over her.
Craig B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2017, 06:45 AM   #43
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
On that basis, what standing will she have in her negotiations with EU27 representatives? "Johnnie Foreigner" will walk all over her.
None. She's reliant not only on the DUP for a majority, but also on internal opposition within the Tories PP that still exists. She can't miss a singe vote.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2017, 08:00 AM   #44
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Rolling about laughing to see sacked ex-Chancellor, now EVENING STANDARD Editor, George Osborne, continuing to stick the knife in May, calling her a, 'Dead Woman Walking' and 'on Death Row', whilst smiling gleefully.

He is having enormous fun, putting out a headline on Friday, 'Hung Out to Dry', over a picture of a gurning Theresa May.

http://www.private-eye.co.uk/covers/cover-1273

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2017, 08:03 AM   #45
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
May really has to reach out to all parties to try to cobble together some consensus on Brexit rather than focus on her narrow view of what it means. I think that's the only way forward now.

She doesn't know what it means. That's why she kept having to resort to "Brexit means Brexit".

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2017, 11:03 AM   #46
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
ROFL
Attached Images
File Type: gif animated-laughing-image-0182.gif (26.0 KB, 256 views)

~ Todd Beamer
Flight 93, 9/11
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2017, 12:00 PM   #47
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
Apparently even he isn't that insane:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/election-2017-40231623

There's also the problem that while Boris is amusing in small doses under the glare of an election campaign he's going to make gaffe after gaffe and the joke is going to start wearing thin.
Anyone who does want to run will have to seem reluctant, but will be persuaded by the dire need of their party and country

I wouldn't rule Johnson out yet.

He might even manage to not make gaffes. He is perfectly intelligent enough to and presumably can be quite charming.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2017, 12:02 PM   #48
baron
Illuminator

I'd imagine she will last some time if the latest reports are correct - an apology to her backbenchers and three standing ovations in this afternoon's address. Her massive miscalculation could even strengthen the party. May needs everybody behind her now; before, she was too cocky and thought she could ignore those voices she didn't agree with. Even Boris is calling on everyone to support her. If she does go it will probably be a result of the BREXIT deal and not her recent performance, which was always the case in any event.
Old 12th June 2017, 01:52 PM   #49
Garrison
Illuminator

Originally Posted by baron View Post
I'd imagine she will last some time if the latest reports are correct - an apology to her backbenchers and three standing ovations in this afternoon's address. Her massive miscalculation could even strengthen the party. May needs everybody behind her now; before, she was too cocky and thought she could ignore those voices she didn't agree with. Even Boris is calling on everyone to support her. If she does go it will probably be a result of the BREXIT deal and not her recent performance, which was always the case in any event.
Oh please, Boris is calling on the party to back her because he doesn't want to be the one stuck with the blame when Brexit is a shambles. May has been forced to ditch her pet policies like grammar schools to postpone backbench revolts for a little while. May has demonstrated she's a shambolic leader and now she's a hostage to the whims of every backbencher with an axe to grind. I think this article is a lot closer to reality than your whistling in the dark:

Theresa May: The prisoner of No 10
Old 12th June 2017, 02:01 PM   #50
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

........ May has demonstrated she's a shambolic leader and now she's a hostage to the whims of every backbencher with an axe to grind........
She's toast, but in the interim..........I am not 100% sure you're right. The thing is, the MPs know the government is so precarious that they won't want to destabilise it. The alternative to May is Corbyn, and however much a Tory MP disagrees with something or other that May is proposing, he disagrees with Corbyn ten times as much. The quid pro quo is that May will have to ditch almost everything other than Brexit. This will be like the last year of the 2010-15 coalition, where almost nothing at all got done.

I'll have a little bet that we see the end of the public sector pay freeze fairly shortly, and we will also see a major adjustment to the repayment regime for student loans, such that most students won't ever have to repay them.
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2017, 03:59 PM   #51
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I think the tipping point...and it will not take long....will be when the DUP makes an outrageous demand that most tories will find unacceptable.
May's government is dependent on the support of a bunch of religious wackjobs. Not a good position.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2017, 04:33 PM   #52
baron
Illuminator

Oh please, Boris is calling on the party to back her because he doesn't want to be the one stuck with the blame when Brexit is a shambles. May has been forced to ditch her pet policies like grammar schools to postpone backbench revolts for a little while. May has demonstrated she's a shambolic leader and now she's a hostage to the whims of every backbencher with an axe to grind. I think this article is a lot closer to reality than your whistling in the dark:

Theresa May: The prisoner of No 10
We'll see.
Old 12th June 2017, 04:49 PM   #53
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I think the tipping point...and it will not take long....will be when the DUP makes an outrageous demand that most tories will find unacceptable.
May's government is dependent on the support of a bunch of religious wackjobs. Not a good position.
I don't think so. This arrangement is really only one where they vote alongside each other on things like the budget and a few other issues. It doesn't mean that either party will be making other demands on each other as far as I know.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 09:32 AM   #54
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

So now a party of Sinn Fein MP's have flown into London, to tell us that they will not be taking up their seats at Westminster, as their 250K voters would not like it.

Yet they cannot resist stalking Arlene Foster and her handful of nine DUP MP's, still trying to thrash out a deal, after turning up with a 'shopping list' of >£1bn, apparently, towards Norn infrastructure.

In the meantime, John Major has popped up to say how concerned he is over the DUP-Conservative alliance.

Jeremy & co are chuckling at the chaos from the sidelines.

Monsieur Barnier has warned us to get on with it.

~ Todd Beamer
Flight 93, 9/11
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 09:49 AM   #55
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

.......Monsieur Barnier has warned us to get on with it.
Which was a stupid waste of breath, considering talks aren't due to start for over a week.
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 04:53 AM   #56
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

Mod Warning There are some fascinating discussions going on in this thread, but not many of them are related to how long TM can/could/should remain as PM and/or leader of the Conservatives.

I will try to find the right place to split the thread, but in the meantime please take post-mortems of the election to a more appropriate thread; for now I'd suggest the General Election one unless there is a specific, discrete point that you want to make (in which case please feel free to start a new thread).
Posted By:Agatha

Vodka kills salmonella and all other enemies of freedom for sure - Nationalcosmopolitan
Agatha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 05:12 AM   #57
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
Mod Warning There are some fascinating discussions going on in this thread, but not many of them are related to how long TM can/could/should remain as PM and/or leader of the Conservatives.

I will try to find the right place to split the thread, but in the meantime please take post-mortems of the election to a more appropriate thread; for now I'd suggest the General Election one unless there is a specific, discrete point that you want to make (in which case please feel free to start a new thread).
Posted By:Agatha
sadly I read TM as TragicMonkey, which would be a better idea, as well as more amusing.
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 09:48 AM   #58
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

So now the DUP-Conservative alliance has 'been delayed until next week'.

I guess Arlene Foster's £1bn 'shopping list' has not gone down well.

~ Todd Beamer
Flight 93, 9/11

Last edited by Vixen; 14th June 2017 at 09:59 AM.
Old 14th June 2017, 11:02 AM   #59
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Heh, sorry to sound cynical, but it could be the DUP-Conservatives are using the Grenfell Tower tragedy to bury their own bad news of not coming up with a deal.

~ Todd Beamer
Flight 93, 9/11
Old 14th June 2017, 11:21 AM   #60
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Don't be too cynical. It was delayed because of the London fire. Some politicians have a sense of what is appropriate at times like these, and Jeremy Corbyn tried to make a point about cuts.......
Old 14th June 2017, 02:39 PM   #61
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

That is quite a bit of Pork she is asking for....
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 02:52 PM   #62
ddt
Mafia Penguin

That is quite a bit of Pork she is asking for....
Well, she's been pissing to the tune of £450mn in the wind in the Renewable Heat Incentive, a subsidy scheme where businesses got £1.60 on every pound they spent on green energy.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2017, 03:54 AM   #63
Aber
Muse

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
Well, she's been pissing to the tune of £450mn in the wind in the Renewable Heat Incentive, a subsidy scheme where businesses got £1.60 on every pound they spent on green energy.
"Greenest government ever"
Aber is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2017, 04:27 AM   #64
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Getting back to the OP......

Is it too much to hope for that she decides to tough it out and hangs on until we can see a nasty leadership fight at their convention (do you guys call it a convention)?
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2017, 06:15 AM   #65
Aber
Muse

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Getting back to the OP......

Is it too much to hope for that she decides to tough it out and hangs on until we can see a nasty leadership fight at their convention (do you guys call it a convention)?
Doesn't work that way:

https://wacomms.co.uk/follow-the-lea...hip-elections/
Aber is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2017, 11:20 AM   #66
Garrison
Illuminator

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Don't be too cynical. It was delayed because of the London fire. Some politicians have a sense of what is appropriate at times like these, and Jeremy Corbyn tried to make a point about cuts.......
It was utterly pointless to suspend talks, there was nothing she could do to assist and if she was really so concerned maybe she might have bothered to meet some of the survivors and relatives today.
Old 15th June 2017, 11:56 AM   #67
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Or she could have whittered on about cuts, and made a suggestion which could conceivably make the situation worse, not better. But then, Corbyn is god now, I suppose. May only announced a public enquiry, then met the firemen, and other emergency services personnel involved. That's pretty apathetic, isn't it.
Old 15th June 2017, 12:20 PM   #68
Garrison
Illuminator

Or she could have whittered on about cuts, and made a suggestion which could conceivably make the situation worse, not better. But then, Corbyn is god now, I suppose. May only announced a public enquiry, then met the firemen, and other emergency services personnel involved. That's pretty apathetic, isn't it.
It is when she couldn't be bothered to meet the survivors and relatives, she only wanted to meet with people who would have to be nice to her. And as much as you would like this to be about Corbyn this thread is about the lame duck hunkered down in Number 10. I cannot honestly comprehend this defence of a PM who has proven so politically and personally inept. What quality of hers is that inspires you to such loyalty?
Old 15th June 2017, 12:30 PM   #69
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Balance, that's all. All I am doing is countering incessant, puerile attacks. Constant sniping. Trivial point scoring. No-one here seems capable of just treating her as just a decent but fallible human being trying to do her best. If she'd have met survivors (are you very sure she didn't?), you'd have said she should have met the emergency services. She's a Tory, though, and we all know that Tories are the scum of the earth, and hate wogs, poofs, women and the Irish.
Old 15th June 2017, 12:49 PM   #70
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I think May is a loser, and think that Corbyn in office would probably be another loser. The UK is like the US.....a singinficent lack of good political leadership across the board. Sad fact is a lot of the most intelligent, capable people don't want to come near politics,because running for office in both countries has become such an ordeal.
Old 15th June 2017, 12:50 PM   #71
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Balance, that's all ... we all know that Tories are the scum of the earth, and hate wogs, poofs, women and the Irish.
So for balance we also know that
... Corbyn is god now
Craig B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2017, 01:57 PM   #72
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

I'm pretty sure I don't need to explain "irony" to you, Craig.
Old 15th June 2017, 04:39 PM   #73
Garrison
Illuminator

Balance, that's all. All I am doing is countering incessant, puerile attacks. Constant sniping. Trivial point scoring. No-one here seems capable of just treating her as just a decent but fallible human being trying to do her best. If she'd have met survivors (are you very sure she didn't?), you'd have said she should have met the emergency services. She's a Tory, though, and we all know that Tories are the scum of the earth, and hate wogs, poofs, women and the Irish.
Facts not in evidence. She's a nasty authoritarian hypocrite. She switched sides on Brexit, she was so arrogant she didn't think she had to submit herself to the TV debates, and of course she ran a breathtakingly inept campaign that left her a hostage to the DUP. The only reason she's still in Number 10 is no one else will touch the mess she's made of government and the Brexit negotiations.
Old 15th June 2017, 04:55 PM   #74
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

It does not matter if she is a nice lady or a bitch from hell. She seems to be totally inept both as P.M. and as Party Leader.
IMOH she will not last more then a few months. The coalition with the DUP ....in fact, the whole situation ..is just too unstable.
Old 15th June 2017, 09:58 PM   #75
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

It does not matter if she is a nice lady or a bitch from hell. She seems to be totally inept both as P.M. and as Party Leader.
IMOH she will not last more then a few months. The coalition with the DUP ....in fact, the whole situation ..is just too unstable.

Yes, and she manages to combine U turns with inflexibility and a complete lack of pragmatism. I suppose that is... noteworthy
Old 15th June 2017, 10:49 PM   #76
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Facts not in evidence. She's a nasty authoritarian hypocrite.
Sorry.......you said "facts not in evidence" then trotted this hyperbole out. Ironic.

Quote:
She switched sides on Brexit,
No, she did not. She took an instruction from the British people to leave the EU. That'd be the democrat in her, understanding that a referendum result over-rides individual politician's views.

Quote:
she was so arrogant she didn't think she had to submit herself to the TV debates,
Arrogant? Or self aware enough to understand that she isn't any good in front of a camera, that these "debates" give undue prominence to lesser parties and always end up with everyone ganging up on the Tory? I don't agree with her decision, but I certainly don't agree with your description of her motives. Oh, and you know we've only been having TV "debates" for the last few elections? We managed perfectly well without them until 2010. Yep, they're a longstanding tradition of UK politics for an entire 7 years.

Quote:
and of course she ran a breathtakingly inept campaign that left her a hostage to the DUP. The only reason she's still in Number 10 is no one else will touch the mess she's made of government
I completely agree, except with this bit:

Quote:
and the Brexit negotiations.
Which haven't even begun.

Last edited by MikeG; 15th June 2017 at 10:51 PM.
Old 15th June 2017, 11:01 PM   #77
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

der Spiegel
http://m.spiegel.de/international/eu...=nl_todayworld
Quote:
If she weren't so incompetently cool and calculating, one could almost pity Theresa May. Even as her supposed allies begin sharpening their knives at home,*Brexit negotiations*are set to begin in Brussels next week. And she also has to find time for a bit of begging at the door of a former party to the civil conflict in Northern Ireland known as the Troubles, the Ulster Unionist Party, so that she can have them sign a coalition agreement. Anything at all would be fine, as long as she can continue to govern.
Old 15th June 2017, 11:30 PM   #78
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

It won't be a coalition, and there won't be a coalition agreement. What's the alternative to "continuing to govern"? There isn't anything viable, other than a new election, and who wants that?
Old 16th June 2017, 04:56 AM   #79
ddt
Mafia Penguin

It won't be a coalition, and there won't be a coalition agreement.
It's clear now that it will only be "confidence and supply", not a formal coalition? Why not let the DUP have the secretary of state for NI? What could go wrong?

What's the alternative to "continuing to govern"? There isn't anything viable, other than a new election, and who wants that?
Oh, I agree there. The Tories are doomed to govern in the current scenario.

Old 16th June 2017, 04:59 AM   #80
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

I voted "Until the next General Election," purely because I can't see anyone being self-destructive enough to take over from May without immediately calling a General Election.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics