ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit , Theresa May , uk elections , uk politics

View Poll Results: How long will UK Prime Minister Theresa May Last?
She'll last a month at most 8 17.78%
She won't last out the week 3 6.67%
She'll last for two weeks 2 4.44%
She'll last until the next Tory Conference in October 2017 20 44.44%
She'll last until the next General Election 8 17.78%
She'll ride out the storm and serve the full term 2 4.44%
Who cares <shrug>? 2 4.44%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10th July 2017, 02:42 PM   #241
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
I was wondering whether Craig B was being heavily ironic there, so didn't mention the DUP's religious leanings
I was a bit. Also the twelfth of July is only two days away.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2017, 09:45 AM   #242
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
I was a bit. Also the twelfth of July is only two days away.
And they're getting themselves into the mood already. This from the Herald today.
A RACIST banner making derogatory comments about Celtic forward Scott Sinclair and hung on a Belfast bonfire ahead of the traditional ‘Eleventh Night’ celebrations has provoked outrage.

Police in Northern Ireland are investigating after a banner with the words ‘Scott Sinclair loves bananas’ was festooned on a pyre in the car park of Avoniel Leisure Centre in the east of the Northern Irish capital.

Last edited by Craig B; 11th July 2017 at 09:47 AM.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2017, 11:55 AM   #243
Garrison
Illuminator

May launching a desperate attempt to generate some sympathy today:

Theresa May 'shed a tear' at election exit poll

All it did for me is confirm her self-centred nature, oh so emotional about her own personal disaster while running away from people like the survivors of the Grenfell fire. And of course there's her utter insistence that austerity must go on and a hard Brexit is an acceptable option, again showing her utter lack of concern for anyone but herself.
Old 16th July 2017, 01:31 AM   #244
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

And they're getting themselves into the mood already. This from the Herald today.
A RACIST banner making derogatory comments about Celtic forward Scott Sinclair and hung on a Belfast bonfire ahead of the traditional ‘Eleventh Night’ celebrations has provoked outrage.

Police in Northern Ireland are investigating after a banner with the words ‘Scott Sinclair loves bananas’ was festooned on a pyre in the car park of Avoniel Leisure Centre in the east of the Northern Irish capital.
Even after the Twelfth is over, they're staying in the "mood". These people are completely outside the normal political spectrum. May really has to stop flirting with their parliamentary wing.
Old 17th July 2017, 03:38 AM   #245
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Even after the Twelfth is over, they're staying in the "mood". These people are completely outside the normal political spectrum. May really has to stop flirting with their parliamentary wing.
I think flirting time is well past. May has already enjoyed a post-coital cigarette and left the money on the dresser on the way out.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 05:24 AM   #246
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I think flirting time is well past. May has already enjoyed a post-coital cigarette and left the money on the dresser on the way out.
I think you've got that the wrong way around.
Old 3rd August 2017, 12:07 PM   #247
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

This (or the Grenfell thread) is as good a place as any.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...56041.html?amp

Quote:
The Government ignored expert advice and made changes in 2015 that made it easier to buy dangerous acids that have been used in a spate of attacks in recent weeks, The Independent can reveal.
Quote:
Ministers boasted at the time about “cutting red tape” but are now under mounting pressure from MPs and campaigners to re-tighten laws to make it harder for people to get their hands on highly concentrated acids. It comes after dozens of people were injured in a spate of acid attacks, with London being particularly affected by the incidents.
It's almost as though a lot of regulations are there for a reason.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 03:41 AM   #248
Mid
Muse

Thought I'd bump the thread given May's claim she's "here for the long term":

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41106679

So that obviously answers the question in this thread as her believability on this claim is without reproach, especially as she has the firm backing of BoJo:

Quote:
"I've made it clear I'm giving my undivided backing to Theresa May.

"We need to get Brexit done.

"She's ideally placed to deliver a great outcome for our country and then deliver what we all want to see, which is this exciting agenda of global Britain.

"I think she gets it. She really wants to deliver it. I'm here to support her."
Mid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 03:50 AM   #249
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

"I'm here to support her, until the noose is in place at which point I drop her through the trapdoor"
Old 31st August 2017, 06:03 AM   #250
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Mid View Post
Thought I'd bump the thread given May's claim she's "here for the long term":

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41106679
From that article:
Quote:
Labour said she was "deluding herself" - but Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson led her defence, insisting she could win an absolute majority.
So, why didn't she?

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 06:47 AM   #251
Mid
Muse

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
From that article:

So, why didn't she?
I'm sure we'll be told her lack of majority is all somehow the EU's fault at some point by him.

Rather funny editorial about this from the Chancellor she sacked George "the man of a 1000 jobs" Osborne:

Quote:
Like the Living Dead in a second-rate horror film, the premiership of Theresa May staggers on oblivious
https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/c...-a3623806.html
Mid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2017, 09:13 AM   #252
catsmate
No longer the 1

A scapegoat with a sacrificial lamb tied on her back.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2017, 11:46 AM   #253
Garrison
Illuminator

I would say her odd on surviving the year just lengthened somewhat:

May suffers humiliation as DUP backs Labour on NHS pay and tuition fees
Quote:
Theresa May has suffered a major embarrassment in the House of Commons after the Democratic Unionist party backed Labour motions in favour of increasing NHS pay and against a rise in tuition fees.
A Billion pounds just doesn't buy as much as it used to...
Old 14th September 2017, 12:01 PM   #254
GlennB

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
I would say her odd on surviving the year just lengthened somewhat:

May suffers humiliation as DUP backs Labour on NHS pay and tuition fees

A Billion pounds just doesn't buy as much as it used to...
Well, it was a non-binding vote, but still ...

But much as I hate PMQs and judging people by their performance there, her latest showing was just plain surreal.

Come the party conference and she's out I reckon. Who the hell will replace her is a scary thought.
Old 14th September 2017, 12:18 PM   #255
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

But much as I hate PMQs and judging people by their performance there, her latest showing was just plain surreal.

Come the party conference and she's out I reckon. Who the hell will replace her is a scary thought.
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politi...20170629130748

Quote:
JACOB Rees-Mogg was sent from the year 1923 to stop the Conservatives from being destroyed, it has emerged.

The member for North East Somerset arrived in the 21st century seven years ago, riding an elaborate contraption of valves and levers propelled by a giant striped parasol.

Carrying only a steamer trunk of starched clothes from his own era, Rees-Mogg stumbled out of the machine determined to restore honest, decent rule by gentlemen.
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2017, 12:52 PM   #256
GlennB

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
**cackle** I love that site

Yeah, that's our man. Maybe the Tories just have a totally wicked sense of humour and it's all been the funniest joke ever?

Oh ****. I now see his odds have shortened from joint 4th favourite to succeed May, at 11-1, to clear second fave at 7.5. This follows his denial of any interest in the job ...

eta: "Rees-Mogg claimed on LBC radio that the real reason for the increased use of food banks was because the previous Labour government had deliberately not told people they existed." Dear FSM.

Last edited by GlennB; 14th September 2017 at 02:29 PM.
GlennB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2017, 02:35 PM   #257
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

**cackle** I love that site

Yeah, that's our man. Maybe the Tories just have a totally wicked sense of humour and it's all been the funniest joke ever?

Oh ****. I now see his odds have shortened from joint 4th favourite to succeed May, at 11-1, to clear second fave at 7.5. This follows his denial of any interest in the job ...

eta: "Rees-Mogg claimed on LBC radio that the real reason for the increased use of food banks was because the previous Labour government had deliberately not told people they existed." Dear FSM.
It was better than that according to my colleague, Neil at lunchtime. Rees-Mogg also apparently thought that the increase in foodbanks was "uplifting".

That's when I suggested Neil google Daily Mash Rees-Mogg

Neil was particularly taken with the "somehow" in "Man somehow unaware that Jacob Rees-Mogg is a massive ....."
Old 14th September 2017, 04:10 PM   #258
Garrison
Illuminator

Yes it was a non binding vote but that was largely because the government ducked out of an actual vote because they feared an embarrassing defeat. Right now the only thing keeping May in Number 10 is the sheer awfulness of her potential replacements. Boris Johnson's comedy routine has lost its amusement value now he has a real job, Davis is even more useless in public than May and they're still better than the others.
Old 4th October 2017, 12:54 PM   #259
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Why did Theresa May wear at the Tory party conference a bracelet with the portrait of Trotsky's girlfriend? Is that a secret message that she also wants to get axed, or did Jeremy Corbyn slip into her dressing room?

And that was just one aspect of the trainwreck of her speech, to wit:
1) a comedian who managed to get up to the podium and hand her a P-45 form (notice of unemployment), as he claimed on behalf of BoJo
2) her coughing streak
3) the letters of the motto "Building a country for everyone" fell off the wall one by one
4) let's not even get into the contents of the speech itself.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 01:05 PM   #260
GlennB

Why did Theresa May wear at the Tory party conference a bracelet with the portrait of Trotsky's girlfriend? Is that a secret message that she also wants to get axed, or did Jeremy Corbyn slip into her dressing room?

1) a comedian who managed to get up to the podium and hand her a P-45 form (notice of unemployment), as he claimed on behalf of BoJo
2) her coughing streak
3) the letters of the motto "Building a country for everyone" fell off the wall one by one
Sympathies for the sore throat, but even putting that aside it was excruciating. How the hell she will chair a cabinet meeting with even a grain of authority beats me.

Time to go, and nobody would blame her.

Curious fact:

My online bookie is offering odds on the person to succeed May as PM -

Johnson 6-1
Corbyn 6-1
(etc)
Old 4th October 2017, 04:26 PM   #261
Garrison
Illuminator

Sympathies for the sore throat, but even putting that aside it was excruciating. How the hell she will chair a cabinet meeting with even a grain of authority beats me.

Time to go, and nobody would blame her.

Curious fact:

My online bookie is offering odds on the person to succeed May as PM -

Johnson 6-1
Corbyn 6-1
(etc)
Well after Johnson's gaffe last night about Sirte I wouldn't put much money on him. Funny thing is when Corbyn was elected Labour leader the Tories were ecstatic about it, he was going to wreck the party while Theresa may led the Tories to certain victory. Now she's a liability and they live in fear of Corbyn.
Old 4th October 2017, 05:21 PM   #262
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
Well after Johnson's gaffe last night about Sirte I wouldn't put much money on him. Funny thing is when Corbyn was elected Labour leader the Tories were ecstatic about it, he was going to wreck the party while Theresa may led the Tories to certain victory. Now she's a liability and they live in fear of Corbyn.
It's only half a year ago that no-one gave a dime about Corbyn's political future and everybody expected May to achieve a huge win. Now Corbyn gets a two minute long standing ovation at his party conference while everybody mocks May and bets on her successor.

Old 5th October 2017, 01:24 AM   #263
Aber
Graduate Poster

It's only half a year ago that no-one gave a dime about Corbyn's political future and everybody expected May to achieve a huge win. Now Corbyn gets a two minute long standing ovation at his party conference while everybody mocks May and bets on her successor.
Look at the poll results above; 70%+ expected her gone by now.
Aber is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2017, 04:25 AM   #264
ceptimus
puzzler

She would be gone by now if there was any obvious alternative candidate. I think the consensus is that the Tories still need to get rid of her before the next election, but they can't agree who should replace her.
ceptimus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2017, 04:33 AM   #265
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Those letters falling off the slogan behind her summed up the state of the party.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2017, 11:27 AM   #266
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I think the Tories are in the state of somebody wearing a bandage the needs to be replaced:the longer you delay taking off, the more it will hurt.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2017, 01:59 PM   #267
Garrison
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Those letters falling off the slogan behind her summed up the state of the party.
Leaders speech at the party conference is simple. Plenty of soundbites for the media punctuated with applause and a standing ovation at the end. All you need to do is make sure there are no distractions, the party organization failed dismally at that, heaven help us when they have to deal with really complex issues.

May remains in a sort of limbo, there's no obvious successor and there's still enough MPs concerned about the consequences of a leadership contest to keep her in Number 10 for the time being. There's a fear factor that 'Jeremy Corbyn PM' could actually happen and a lot of Tory MPs could find themselves out of a job.
Old 5th October 2017, 02:08 PM   #268
angrysoba
Philosophile

2) her coughing streak
And she still can't get herself fired! Nobody wants to do Brexit it seems. She has to wonder now if the leadership contest she "won" had a dummy lineup. Not just a lineup of dummies but of people just pretending to want the job to encourage some poor sucker to win it.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2017, 02:09 PM   #269
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
And she still can't get herself fired! Nobody wants to do Brexit it seems. She has to wonder now if the leadership contest she "won" had a dummy lineup. Not just a lineup of dummies but of people just pretending to want the job to encourage some poor sucker to win it.
I think Johnson would take the job.

He has a high opinion of himself, even by the standards of politicians.
Old 5th October 2017, 02:22 PM   #270
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

2) her coughing streak
5. Plagiarism from The West Wing.http://metro.co.uk/2017/10/05/did-th...peech-6978575/

Vodka kills salmonella and all other enemies of freedom for sure - Nationalcosmopolitan
Agatha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2017, 02:44 PM   #271
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

I was going to mention that.

https://twitter.com/D_Raval/status/915618207343480833

Also, the introductory music was used without the permission of the colyright holder, who has stated that permission would not have been granted if it had been sought.

Last edited by Rolfe; 5th October 2017 at 02:46 PM.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2017, 03:11 PM   #272
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

I believe the F fell off first. If it were not for the MA, I would have a joke about that.

Vodka kills salmonella and all other enemies of freedom for sure - Nationalcosmopolitan
Agatha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2017, 03:27 PM   #273
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

I think most of twitter got there well before you.

ETA: This is fun.

https://thebritishdrea.com/

Last edited by Rolfe; 5th October 2017 at 03:52 PM.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2017, 03:59 PM   #274
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

Old 5th October 2017, 04:03 PM   #275
ddt
Mafia Penguin

The comedian who handed her the P-45 form said he did so on instructions of BoJo.

I think he would too, but it would disqualify him from the race to be the FM who insulted the most countries in the world.

Old 5th October 2017, 04:34 PM   #276
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The comedian who handed her the P-45 form said he did so on instructions of BoJo.

I think he would too, but it would disqualify him from the race to be the FM who insulted the most countries in the world.
Though as PM he could start a race with Trump to be the head of state who insulted the most countries in the world....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2017, 04:48 PM   #277
angrysoba
Philosophile

True enough. Will the Tories be desperate enough to roll the dice on Bojo?
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2017, 06:04 PM   #278
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Though as PM he could start a race with Trump to be the head of state government who insulted the most countries in the world....
FTFY, pedantic nitpick (I won't tell Liz). True. Boris would win hands-down on points, for style. Trump can't recite Kipling.

True enough. Will the Tories be desperate enough to roll the dice on Bojo?
Would they really lose out with that gamble?

There's also this tidbit from the Tory conference. It seems Amber Rudd hat to order BoJo to stand up for May after her speech:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

I wonder, though, would the conference not have been the designated place to launch a leadership challenge?

Old 6th October 2017, 03:26 AM   #279
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Grant Shapps urges Tory leadership contest

Former Tory Party chairman Grant Shapps has said he believes Theresa May should face a leadership election.
Mr Shapps told the BBC he had the backing of about 30 MPs, including five former cabinet ministers, adding: "I don't think we can go on like this."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41519601
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 06:25 AM   #280
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
I believe the F fell off first. If it were not for the MA, I would have a joke about that.
Did all the Tory Conference attendees start yelling, "F off Theresa! F off!"

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics