ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags North Korea incidents , Otto Warmbier , US-North Korea relations

Old 20th June 2017, 01:48 PM   #121
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
So we are talking about the famines or this guy? What evidence do you have that this was a result of official policy?
They arrested a tourist on false or at least exaggerated charges and sentenced him to 15 years hard labor at a show trial. That's the policy. He shouldn't have been in custody at all. Whatever caused his injuries might well have been unintentional. So what?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2017, 02:07 PM   #122
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Not on this board or country. The sheriff in question is now a federal official working in INS. He is a favorite commentator on many news outlets, and at one point had a talk radio show.

The right wing just treat that as a nothing event, just one more dead black man in the hands of the police. If he wanted to live he should have stayed out of prison, away from the police, done what they said and stayed calm when they panicked.

Many of those voices are the ones most condemning this tragedy. And yet no one is demanding we bomb milwaukee. Because we at least in theory have options though in reality nothing will happen.

In the case of north korea we really have no options, short of war. And getting hundreds of thousands of south korean civilians killed over the death of one dumb white guy seems excessive.
That you say "dumb white guy" says something about your ideology..and nothing very good,though you have point that there is no easy military solution to this.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2017, 02:23 PM   #123
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

The PDJT is trying to take credit for the boy coming home. "It's a disgrace that he wasn't brought home sooner." Yeah, like maybe five months ago??? When he came into power? He had nothing to do with it. (And don't mention the other three Americans currently in captivity.)

I never thought I'd ever say this about any President of our (already) great United States, but... what a prick.
Old 20th June 2017, 02:26 PM   #124
IIIClovisIII
Muse

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Some guy who owned a mini-cab company near me was caught taking in 2kg of heroin at the Chinese border. He was executed, and this caused a diplomatic incident between UK and China.

Punishment has to be proportionate, even in countries with little concern for human rights.
When any country does something like that, IMO they forfeit any credibility when saying anything derogatory about Western institutions.
IIIClovisIII is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2017, 03:04 PM   #125
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

US Citizen Otto Warmbier, returned from North Korea, murdered by vile North Koreans -may they long rot in a hell of their own.

Fixed the title.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2017, 03:11 PM   #126
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Well we could make more of the peasants starve. Not sure how that would be helpful here.
They are already starving.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2017, 04:20 PM   #127
p0lka
Muse

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
They ARE Evil, if the word Evil has any meaning.

I find it disgusting that people are acting as apologists for a regime as barbaric,evil and insane as North Korea's is.
I find it disgusting that as disgusting as it is that people are acting as apologists for a regime as barbaric,evil and insane as North Korea's is; North Korea at least had the presence of mind to not pull out of the paris climate agreement, whereas others did.

Last edited by p0lka; 20th June 2017 at 04:23 PM.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2017, 05:29 PM   #128
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
I find it disgusting that as disgusting as it is that people are acting as apologists for a regime as barbaric,evil and insane as North Korea's is; North Korea at least had the presence of mind to not pull out of the paris climate agreement, whereas others did.
This is some grade A concentrated delusion right here. Other than posturing, what exactly do you think North Korea signing onto the Paris agreement actually does? Do you think it will actually affect the amount of greenhouse gasses North Korea emits? Are you really that gullible?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2017, 05:45 PM   #129
Chris_Halkides
Philosopher

Young Pioneers Tours

Normally low-key, The Economist titled their article "The outrageous death of Otto Warmbier." "'HOW safe is it? Extremely safe!' So read the guidance for North Korea on the website of Young Pioneer Tours when Otto Warmbier, a 21-year-old American student, signed up for a five-day trip to North Korea in December 2015."

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 20th June 2017 at 05:48 PM.
Chris_Halkides is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2017, 05:52 PM   #130
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post

And North Korea makes it illegal for its citizens to have guns, too, so you have that to look positively upon them, as well.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2017, 06:10 PM   #131
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
This is some grade A concentrated delusion right here. Other than posturing, what exactly do you think North Korea signing onto the Paris agreement actually does? Do you think it will actually affect the amount of greenhouse gasses North Korea emits? Are you really that gullible?
Can North Korea even emit greenhouse gases? Don't they need at least nineteenth century technology to do that?
Old 20th June 2017, 06:19 PM   #132
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

For a less inflammatory discussion of this event, snopes seems as good a bet as any.

http://www.snopes.com/2017/06/20/dea...ffles-experts/

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2017, 06:30 PM   #133
Fudbucker
Philosopher

I'll have to remember the Mt. Everest analogy next time a woman gets raped at a frat party.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2017, 06:32 PM   #134
Fudbucker
Philosopher

though I think if we got solid evidence that NK was near making an ICBM, Then a decapitation strike would become much more likely.
We should make it a policy to shoot down every ballistic missile launch they try. You don't let people who continually threaten to destroy you develop the capacity to nuke one your major cities. That would just be stupid.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2017, 08:10 PM   #135
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Can North Korea even emit greenhouse gases? Don't they need at least nineteenth century technology to do that?
They have coal, and it gets cold in the winter, so I assume there are at least some emissions. But yeah, satellite pics show not much electricity generation.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2017, 08:50 PM   #136
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

They have coal, and it gets cold in the winter, so I assume there are at least some emissions. But yeah, satellite pics show not much electricity generation.
So that's where all the coal jobs are!
Old 20th June 2017, 09:02 PM   #137
Cleon
King of the Pod People

The family has refused an autopsy, so unless the DPRK suddenly opens up*, the cause of his death will remain a mystery.

* This is unlikely.
Old 20th June 2017, 09:16 PM   #138
Hungry81
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
I'll have to remember the Mt. Everest analogy next time a woman gets raped at a frat party.
What does a frat house have to do with North Korea? Is a frat house an oppressive dictatorial sovereign state that has a well published history of human rights abuses, imprisoning and executing people for minor stupid charges and is know for spewing hate filled BS against the countries of the people who for some reason still decide to visit?

Cause if so then yes, she is dumb for visiting, and likely a bit of a dick. Because by visiting she is supporting the evil ****head who runs the joint.

Last edited by Hungry81; 20th June 2017 at 09:18 PM.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2017, 09:32 PM   #139
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
The family has refused an autopsy, so unless the DPRK suddenly opens up*, the cause of his death will remain a mystery.

* This is unlikely.

That's perplexing, considering the number of unanswered questions.
https://www.livescience.com/59557-ot...r-autopsy.html
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2017, 10:21 PM   #140
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

my 2 cents:
Most likely scenario: North Korea has made it an industry to ransom foreigners back to their governments. Warmbier was going to go the same way after putting the Fear of the Dear Leader into him - but they messed up, bigly, causing probably some brain damage.
So they put him on ice and kept mum until it became clear that he would die in the coma in the foreseeable future. Not wanting him to die on North Korea soil, they shipped him back as quickly as possible.
I don't see this case as any kind of escalation - in fact it might make NK more cautious about how they treat foreigners in the future.
An actual military response would be a bad thing. But just what Trump is likely to do.
Old 20th June 2017, 11:00 PM   #141
Hungry81
Graduate Poster

That you say "dumb white guy" says something about your ideology..and nothing very good,though you have point that there is no easy military solution to this.
Yeah he was a bit more than dumb, he was stupid, selfish and a dick. Oh lets go visit a place that hates who I am and can punish me for it. YAY!!!
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2017, 12:57 AM   #142
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

:

If you are trying to make yourself look like a total jerk, you are succeeding brilliantly.
It was a bigger deal. They kidnapped Japanese rather than Americans, so the rule of "I'm more interested in people I identify with" applies.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2017, 01:31 AM   #143
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
What is clear is there is no evidence of actual physical trauma - he was not beaten about the head to cause the injury.
No, that's not clear at all. Since the family has declined an autopsy, we have only external signs of physical trauma. And those are not at all dispositive due to the length of time he was held.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2017, 02:07 AM   #144
toto
Muse

Having read quite a few books on North Korea including those horrific accounts of Nazi type concentration camps and intriguing documentaries such as those about the U.S. soldiers who defected to North Korea during the Korean war (biggest mistake of their lives), I find it hard to believe how anyone would visit the country as a tourist. I could to some extent relate to the anger that someone could be so dumb as to literally put their life in danger by playing such a stupid prank as nicking a propaganda poster. But when this happened I felt that this whilst such sentiments might be expressed, it should be clear that that attitude should take about one thousandth of the importance as expressing the utter barbarity of the North Korea Police State. Now that the poor man has died, posts here and elsewhere that reflect callously on the American's "stupidity" as a kind of equivalence to the cruelty of this state I find astonishingly heartless.

I assumed the man had stolen the poster but did not believe the story he told in "court". The punishment meted out was so absurdly out of proportion that nothing could excuse the country's actions. I am not sure how to react to the possibility that that the man did not even commit the crime because my position is that North Korea's actions were already utterly outrageous and if it turns out that there is proof that the theft did occur then that does not mitigate them in any way at all.

Words fail me if he didn't even do it in the first place.

The U.S and other countries such as the UK should ban travel to this country. When a BBC journalist is imprisoned for about 24 hours or more, as happened recently, this is clearly a dangerous place to be.

Journalists such as John Sweeney should reflect on the danger he put his fellow travellers when pretending to be part of an educational tour, when in fact he was attempting an undercover documentary.

Lastly I am sad Trump is getting some credit by the family, and Obama some criticism. I may be proved wrong but I wonder if Obama did not try just as hard as Trump to free the man, and that his release was just a cynical action by the North Korean Government. (Though I do give Trump credit for having the obvious disgust with the country).
Old 21st June 2017, 04:15 AM   #145
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

He went to north korea on vacation, I stand by that description.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2017, 04:17 AM   #146
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
They are already starving.
That is why I said more. Clearly we need to collectively punish the north koreans for this.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2017, 04:22 AM   #147
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

We can actually do something about a frat party. Clearly vacationing in a war zone as we are still at war with north korea(no peace treaty just a ceasefire) might not be the best idea. That is rather different than a party.

Clearly the response to being raped at a frat party is to kill everyone who is a member of any fraternity on the campus. That just follows through with the analogy of how to respond to this.
Old 21st June 2017, 04:24 AM   #148
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
my 2 cents:
Most likely scenario: North Korea has made it an industry to ransom foreigners back to their governments.
What foreigners has it ransomed back, and what did it get for them?
Old 21st June 2017, 04:45 AM   #149
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

What foreigners has it ransomed back, and what did it get for them?
These things are almost never made public, but it's standard practice with oppressive regimes.
The most public case to date is probably of North Korean "pirates" trying to ransom a Chinese boat full of fishermen:

https://www.csmonitor.com/World/Secu...emand-a-ransom

from the article:
Quote:
"Whatever you call North Korea – rogue state or whatever – these kind of cases just keep happening,” said a Liaoning Maritime and Fishery Administration official who identified himself only by his surname, Liu. “We had such cases last year and the year before. There’s very little we can do to prevent them.”
They are also planning to ransom back South korean POWs:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ith-North.html

We have no proof that the US is (most probably indirectly) paying Pyongyang for prisoners, but that would be very much in line with their normal actions.
Old 21st June 2017, 06:00 AM   #150
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

An actual military response would be a bad thing. But just what Trump is likely to do.
Not over this it isn't.
Old 21st June 2017, 06:34 AM   #151
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Not over this it isn't.
I think it is quite possible he would do something foolishly military or pre-emptive. Like perhaps, unleashing the FATHER OF ALL BOMBS. After all, he has to one-up himself all the time.
Old 21st June 2017, 07:01 AM   #152
ahhell
Critical Thinker

We should make it a policy to shoot down every ballistic missile launch they try. You don't let people who continually threaten to destroy you develop the capacity to nuke one your major cities. That would just be stupid.
Then it would be obvious how useless the ballistic defense system actually is.

Also.

A. Wambier shouldn't have gone their, a bit like acting surprised that someone died on while base jumping.
B. That doesn't justify N. Korea(or N country orange as we called them during battle drills in the Navy) killing him.
C. There's not much we can do about it other than say, "That's awful what Kim regime did to that fellow." We should always blame the Kims, the N. Koreans are more the victims of the regime than anyone.

Last edited by ahhell; 21st June 2017 at 07:07 AM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2017, 07:25 AM   #153
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

Brilliant idea, letting them test how to circumstances the defense system...
Old 21st June 2017, 01:26 PM   #154
Fudbucker
Philosopher

Brilliant idea, letting them test how to circumstances the defense system...
It can be a learning experience for both sides. But I think we would come out ahead.
Old 21st June 2017, 01:28 PM   #155
Fudbucker
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Then it would be obvious how useless the ballistic defense system actually is.
Not at all. If our system has an X% success rate, that doesn't make it useless, and we can improve it with live-fire tests against N. Korean missiles. Kills two birds with one stone.
Old 21st June 2017, 01:28 PM   #156
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I think it is quite possible he would do something foolishly military or pre-emptive. Like perhaps, unleashing the FATHER OF ALL BOMBS. After all, he has to one-up himself all the time.
This is paranoia.
Old 21st June 2017, 01:32 PM   #157
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
Yeah he was a bit more than dumb, he was stupid, selfish and a dick. Oh lets go visit a place that hates who I am and can punish me for it. YAY!!!
Another one of Kim's Little Helpers......
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2017, 01:37 PM   #158
IIIClovisIII
Muse

Too bad terrorism is almost nonexistent in police states.
IIIClovisIII is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2017, 01:42 PM   #159
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Not over this it isn't.
We didn't go to war w/ NK over this in '76:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axe_murder_incident

The axe murder incident (Korean: 판문점 도끼살인사건; Hanja: 板門店도끼殺人事件,도끼蠻行事件; literally, Panmunjom axe murder incident) was the killing of two United States Army officers, Arthur Bonifas and Mark Barrett, by North Korean soldiers on August 18, 1976, in the Joint Security Area (JSA) located in the Korean Demilitarized Zone (DMZ). The U.S. Army officers had been part of a work party cutting down a poplar tree in the JSA that partially blocked the view of United Nations (U.N.) observers when they were assaulted and killed by the North Koreans, who claimed that the tree was planted by Kim Il-Sung.[1]

But rumor control central at Ft. Bragg had the 82nd doing a combat jump north of the 38th parallel.

I'm glad we didn't.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2017, 02:27 PM   #160
KatieG
Rootin' Tootin' Raspberry

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post

* This is unlikely.
Maybe they don't want to know how much torture he was subjected to. That would add more pain they simply can't deal with.

"I never thought leopards would eat MY face", sobs the woman who voted for Leopards Eating People's Faces Party
KatieG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events