ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 30th June 2017, 12:47 PM   #41
bignickel
Mad Mod Poet God

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Do you feel that your dislike of it is sufficient to override anybody else's view who may value that insight to history?
That insight into history is what museums are for.

Other things visitors can view can be the Confederate Battle Flag (which represents "Southern heritage" somehow...), info on Jim Crow laws, pictures of firehoses and dogs being turned on protesters... etc.

I certainly think that kind of museum can be a tremendous help in educating the future public, certainly to let them know how ridiculous a notion of "sacred principles to maintain and rights to defend" our former enemy thought of.
"You can find that book everywhere and the risk is that many people who read it believe that those fairy tales are real. I think I have the responsibility to clear things up to unmask the cheap lies contained in books like that."
- Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone

Last edited by bignickel; 30th June 2017 at 12:48 PM. Reason: edit
bignickel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2017, 01:21 PM   #42
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Do you feel that your dislike of it is sufficient to override anybody else's view who may value that insight to history?
These monuments weren't put up to provide "insight to history"; they were put up to shoehorn and perpetually enforce a revisionist narrative of it.

Indeed the only "insight" these memorials really have to offer us is not to the people they were built to honor, but rather the people who built them. But as I've explained elsewhere, they serve even that function better in a museum.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2017, 01:40 PM   #43
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Are there a lot of statues of King George II that were put up after the American Revolution saying what a great guy he was? Or George III for that matter.

It's not a matter of depicting the losers. It's a matter of attempting to re-write history and glorify those who committed treason.
So no monuments to the protesters in Tienanmen square then?

One man's traitor is another man's revolutionary. The only thing that makes the confederate states "traitors" is that they lost. Had they won, they'd have been revolutionaries who seceded from the union.

If it's re-writing history and glorifying treason to commemorate those soldiers, it's similarly re-writing history and glorifying treason to commemorate any failed rebellion. Yet there are plenty of failed rebellions that are still commemorated for any number of reasons.

Either way, it's still history. And it's not being rewritten by leaving those monuments as they stand - it's being rewritten by removing any reference to the confederate side of the civil war.
Old 30th June 2017, 01:57 PM   #44
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Should we destroy any monuments to Napoleon? Or Alexander the Great?
Think the French and the Greeks would mind if you clomped on in there and started busting up their statues. Worry about your own embarrassing history.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2017, 01:58 PM   #45
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Are there any in China?

If not, feel free to set one up in your home town.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2017, 03:03 PM   #46
wareyin
Philosopher

One man's traitor is another man's revolutionary. The only thing that makes the confederate states "traitors" is that they lost. Had they won, they'd have been revolutionaries who seceded from the union.

If it's re-writing history and glorifying treason to commemorate those soldiers, it's similarly re-writing history and glorifying treason to commemorate any failed rebellion. Yet there are plenty of failed rebellions that are still commemorated for any number of reasons.

Either way, it's still history. And it's not being rewritten by leaving those monuments as they stand - it's being rewritten by removing any reference to the confederate side of the civil war.
You know, I see right wing media continuously saying how this is rewriting history, or erasing the Confederate side, but as someone living in Atlanta, they aren't rewriting anything, or removing references to the Confederates. They are correcting the attempted rewriting of history, known as whitewashing. They removing monuments glorifying the Confederacy or prominent Confederates, and that's a very different thing than Fox news is telling folks.

Go to Kennesaw Battlefield. Go to Gettysburg. No one is removing any monuments there, or erasing any mention of the south.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2017, 03:38 PM   #47
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Ian Osborne View Post
If it was treasonous for the ten states to secede from the union, why was it acceptable for the thirteen colonies to secede from the empire?
I'd wager there aren't too many monuments to the American Revolution in Great Britain and if there are they are free to tear them down.

"Hating a bad thing does not make you good." - David Wong
JoeBentley is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2017, 03:53 PM   #48
autumn1971
Master Poster

Should we destroy any monuments to Napoleon? Or Alexander the Great? Or to any other historical event that is no longer considered acceptable?

There's nothing inherently racist about that statue. The civil war happened. It was a big divide in the country. If the memorials were actually depicting something offensive, or were expressing a racist sentiment, I would understand. But right now, you're pretty much saying that anything and everything that could in any way be associated with the losing side in the civil war should be destroyed because it's somehow innately offensive. And I find that absurd.
Victor Hugo wrote specifically about such monument that we respect and admire the past only because it agrees to remain dead.

When the Southern Pride folks agree to this I will honor their little monuments.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2017, 05:45 PM   #49
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Should we destroy any monuments to Napoleon? Or Alexander the Great? Or to any other historical event that is no longer considered acceptable?
I didn't know either of them is "no longer considered acceptable". There's a lot you can criticize Napoleon for, but he also exported the fruits of the French Revolution to most of continental Europe. We owe him the meter and the kilogram, the civil code and the penal code, to name a few. Alexander exported Greek culture, science and philosophy to the Middle East. We owe him (specifically, his general Ptolemy I) the Library of Alexandria.

There's absolutely no reason why your country or mine would put up a statue for either of them, but as a human being, I would not feel offended seeing one in France resp. Greece. Actually, my country's first king was Napoleon's brother Louis, and he's sort-a whitewashed out of our history, though he did his best to serve his (assigned) country to the best of his abilities.

There's nothing inherently racist about that statue. The civil war happened. It was a big divide in the country.
Yes, it is racist. It celebrates a racist cause. The only raison d'être of the Confederacy was the right (constitutionally enshrined) to keep slaves and the view that blacks were inferior human beings. And in a sense, the Civil War continues as long as those monuments are there on public land.

Whether you agree with the ideals of the soldiers involved in that war or not, this is the purposeful destruction of history. I don't see this as any better than the burning of the Library of Alexandria. Our descendants should be able to view our history as it was, not with some saccharine shine of political correctness being rewritten to appease some multi-generational guilt.
The burning of the Library of Alexandria destroyed knowledge. Tearing down a statue does not. There are other and better ways to learn about the evils of the Southern racist bigots than to glorify them with a public monument.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2017, 05:47 PM   #50
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

In China? I doubt it.
If they won, they would have their own country for their monuments. They lost trying to destroy this country.
If it's re-writing history and glorifying treason to commemorate those soldiers, it's similarly re-writing history and glorifying treason to commemorate any failed rebellion.
If the glorification for false reason. The war was started by the South to preserve slavery, not the glorious "lost cause" of fiction.
Yet there are plenty of failed rebellions that are still commemorated for any number of reasons.
A rebellion that cost the lives of hundreds of thousands and was started for the reason of preserving slavery?

Who's removing any reference to the confederate side? Go to any number of museums. Read any number of books.

Last edited by Spindrift; 30th June 2017 at 05:48 PM.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2017, 05:57 PM   #51
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ian Osborne View Post
If it was treasonous for the ten states to secede from the union, why was it acceptable for the thirteen colonies to secede from the empire? Destroy all memorials to the American Revolution, and its (slave-owning) founding fathers.
It certainly WAS treasonous ... to England.

How many monuments to the Colonials are there in England?
Old 30th June 2017, 05:58 PM   #52
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

*Holds out one palm* Peaceful student protesters killed by the thousands seeking democratic reform, freedom of the press, and freedom of speech.

*Holds out the other palm* An armed treasonous uprising to prevent the removal of the vital "state right" to own other human beings as chattel based on the color of their skin.

Yeah that's a fair comparison.

JoeBentley is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2017, 06:05 PM   #53
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I would add that, although many of our other heroes are indeed tainted by the sins of their times and sins of their own, a monument to the Confederacy has a somewhat different status, because when it comes down to it, however fine many of the participants may have been, the Confederacy itself existed for only one real purpose, and that was the perpetuation of slavery.

I would also remind one that, in this case at least, the proposals I've seen are not that the monument be destroyed, but that it be removed from what many would consider its inappropriately prideful location. There's a difference there.

I tend to agree that it's a mistake to re-edit history, to destroy things we no longer like, or to pretend things did not happen as they did. But we do get to change our opinions, our priorities, our heroes and our symbols. How much of the evil and misfortune in the world comes from saving face and denying change. We ought to be able to say "once I thought one way, but now I think otherwise." Grow up.

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2017, 07:15 AM   #54
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

There's nothing inherently racist about that statue. The civil war happened. It was a big divide in the country. If the memorials were actually depicting something offensive, or were expressing a racist sentiment, I would understand. But right now, you're pretty much saying that anything and everything that could in any way be associated with the losing side in the civil war should be destroyed because it's somehow innately offensive. And I find that absurd.
There's a difference between remembering our history and memorializing it. These statues were intended to honor those statues are intended to honor Confederate soldiers. We can remember the crime of the Civil War without celebrating the criminals.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2017, 07:56 AM   #55
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
The horribly offencive confederate monument in St. Louis' Forest Park (That most people, up until recently, didn't even know was there.) will be removed from Forest Park by Friday. The city decided to let the rightful owners move and store it rather than fight out the city's right to remove and store it in court.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/g...c517b4f9f.html
Is history that offensive to you? If the monuments are removed does that mean it didn't happen? The Civil War happened and misguided men fought to preserve slavery. Be glad they lost. Most of the Confederate soldiers were forced to fight in that war and I personally consider them victims. Most of them were non-slave owners who could barely feed their families.
Old 1st July 2017, 09:25 AM   #56
CaptainHowdy
Muse

Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
Tell you what, you and those who feel the South's ideals of owning other humans as property win the next civil war and you can do just that after putting your precious Confederate monuments to losers back up.
Oh, I see...if the South had won, slavery would be OK and statues of slave state heroes like Washington and Jefferson could remain in place? You're not very good at this, are you?
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2017, 09:26 AM   #57
CaptainHowdy
Muse

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
I think we draw the line at treason. Don't commit treason and you can have a monument. Or if you're going to commit treason, win don't lose.
And we have another vote for might makes right!
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2017, 09:36 AM   #58
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
So evil shouldn't be opposed with force?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2017, 10:44 AM   #59
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
There's a difference between remembering our history and memorializing it. These statues were intended to honor those statues are intended to honor Confederate soldiers. We can remember the crime of the Civil War without celebrating the criminals.
I think there is a disconnect here.

This memorial neither remembers history nor memorialized any real occurrence. It is a fiction presented as history. It is, perhaps, worth saving only as a historic artifact of the attempt.
Old 1st July 2017, 12:25 PM   #60
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

So the only reason owning other human beings is wrong is because the stronger side so?

The Union winning the Civil War was a good thing, everyone gets that right?

Old 1st July 2017, 12:50 PM   #61
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
I am pretty sure the Spirit of the Confederacy was small batch woodsy distilled whiskey.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2017, 12:52 PM   #62
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post

True!!!

Wash this space!

fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2017, 12:53 PM   #63
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

No, but it does get to make the decisions!

Wash this space!

Old 1st July 2017, 12:58 PM   #64
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

The part I greened is duplicated right after the greening stops! That is why I greened it!!! Unfortunately I do the same thing from time to time (or, more precisely. a nudge or adjustment moves the location of the typing to where it should not be!)........

Wash this space!

Old 1st July 2017, 05:32 PM   #65
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post

Well, ummm...

https://www.guidelondon.org.uk/blog/...idents-london/

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2017, 07:50 PM   #66
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I think what's needed is a monument to monuments, and to the spirit of monuments. And, to ensure an equal voice to opposing viewpoints, there should also be a monument to the spirit of removing monuments. And a third monument to commemorate the other two monuments. Only by multiplicity into absurdity can real healing be achieved.
Old 1st July 2017, 07:57 PM   #67
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Whether you agree with the ideals of the soldiers involved in that war or not, this is the purposeful destruction of history. I don't see this as any better than the burning of the Library of Alexandria. Our descendants should be able to view our history as it was, not with some saccharine shine of political correctness being rewritten to appease some multi-generational guilt.
Look, I'll give you one or the other....

A) I can call them deplorables
B) I can destroy their misguided memorials and monuments to being deplorables

This isn't "history". Other than "The History of the Kind of **** People Put Up in the Jim Crow Era".

Help! We're being attacked by sea lions!
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2017, 08:07 PM   #68
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Look, I'll give you one or the other....

A) I can call them deplorables
B) I can destroy their misguided memorials and monuments to being deplorables

This isn't "history". Other than "The History of the Kind of **** People Put Up in the Jim Crow Era".
Remember when it was cool to pretend that black people had equal rights while taking every opportunity to show that they'd never really be considered equal? I'm so wistful.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2017, 08:25 PM   #69
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

The more I think of it, the more appealing I find the idea of a monument to iconoclasm. We should really take up a collection and make that happen.
Old 1st July 2017, 10:11 PM   #70
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I think in this day and age it ought to be possible to create virtual monuments. You could get a set of virtual reality glasses and dial in the silliness you want memorialized, and there it will be, just for you. The nambypamby social justice warriors will walk by unaware of why you are smiling as you glory in the gore of martyrs, winning today the battles that were lost yesterday.

AS for TM's monument to iconoclasm, that has some merit too. Jean Tinguely got halfway there designing sculptures that destroy themselves. The proper monument to icononclasm will better this by not existing, and one day, the ideal will occur, so perfect in realization that it is immediately forgotten.

bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2017, 03:12 AM   #71
CaptainHowdy
Muse

So evil shouldn't be opposed with force?
Nobody said it should.
Old 2nd July 2017, 03:34 AM   #72
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by bigred View Post
Forget the knife, it'd take a chainsaw to cut through the self-righteous stupidity in this thread.
So true. Only good ole butt cracks in low trou mode know how to vandalize right proper. Negotiating the removal of an ode to idiocy using what, laws and courts? Ha! Limp libdem nonsense.
Old 2nd July 2017, 06:11 AM   #73
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Destruction in the name of righteousness!
Old 2nd July 2017, 06:14 AM   #74
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
AS for TM's monument to iconoclasm, that has some merit too. Jean Tinguely got halfway there designing sculptures that destroy themselves. The proper monument to icononclasm will better this by not existing, and one day, the ideal will occur, so perfect in realization that it is immediately forgotten.
Actually, since we're thinking of a monument to iconoclasm, the idea exists. Therefore in a sense the universe is packed to the brim with nonexistent monuments to iconoclasm. The only places that don't have nonexistent monuments to iconoclasm are in fact the spaces occupied by other monuments. The cosmos is divided into two: space occupied by monuments, and spaces not-occupied by not-monuments to iconoclasm. The latter space is vastly larger than the former, so I'm counting that as a win for me. Hooray!
Old 2nd July 2017, 06:39 AM   #75
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
The more I think of it, the more appealing I find the idea of a monument to iconoclasm. We should really take up a collection and make that happen.
Pile up a stack of chunks of previously smashed monuments. Cheap!

In fact you'd probably win a prize for modern art. Profit!
Old 2nd July 2017, 06:44 AM   #76
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Nobody said it should.
Then what exactly are you saying because frankly I'm lost.

What exactly is the problem?

This is just one of those things I can't believe there are actually people on the other side of it.

When you lose the war you were fighting to keep doing a terrible thing you don't get to have monuments to it. What's the flippin' mystery?

Not every underdog that fights to the bitter end for their lost cause is on the right side of history.

"History is written by the winners" doesn't mean the losers were always right.

Old 2nd July 2017, 07:18 AM   #77
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Destruction in the name of righteousness!
What destruction exactly? The thing is merely being moved to another location where the confederacy fetishists may worship it.

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2017, 02:04 PM   #78
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
Then what exactly are you saying because frankly I'm lost.

What exactly is the problem?

This is just one of those things I can't believe there are actually people on the other side of it.

When you lose the war you were fighting to keep doing a terrible thing you don't get to have monuments to it. What's the flippin' mystery?

Not every underdog that fights to the bitter end for their lost cause is on the right side of history.

"History is written by the winners" doesn't mean the losers were always right.
Or even ever right!!!!!!!!

Wash this space!

Old 2nd July 2017, 02:27 PM   #79
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Pile up a stack of chunks of previously smashed monuments. Cheap!

In fact you'd probably win a prize for modern art. Profit!
But as soon as you put it up, consistency demands that you knock it down!

Old 2nd July 2017, 03:07 PM   #80
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Alright we really need to figure out exactly where the disconnect here is.

Here are some statement of facts. Let me know where exactly I lose you.

1. The Civil War was about slavery.
2. The Confederate States were treasonous.
3. The Confederate States lost the war.
4. The Confederate States losing the war was a good thing.
5. Having monuments in place to celebrate the losing side of a war makes no sense.

Now let me pre-counter the standard "Confederate Cause" apologetics.

1. "Well technically the Civil War wasn't about sla..." let me me just stop you right there. Yes. Yes it was. Completely and totally. All the one stepped removed nonsense doublespeak is just historical revisionism.
2. "Well the North was racist too!" Okay? And?
3. "But it's history!" No. A monument is not history. A museum is history. A historical placard is history. A monument is a celebration of something.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events