ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags body fat , metabolism , weight loss

View Poll Results: Where do 10 pounds of body fat go when you lose them?
Ha! I knew this already! 27 60.00%
Not difficult - thinking about this for a bit, I think I know now 9 20.00%
I have a hunch - but am not sure 3 6.67%
I have no freaking idea. Mystery! Please solve! 2 4.44%
On planet X, no one has body fat to start with 4 8.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11th July 2017, 11:00 AM   #1
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Where does the body fat go when I lose it?

I saw a cool presentation the other day, which started with a seemingly simple question, but posed to many random people, it turns few have an idea - and many have wrong hunches.

So I decided to test this forum:

When you lose 10 pounds of body fat, where do they go?
(This is talking about the usual way of losing weight, through exercise and eating less)

Now I don't want you to blurt out out the answer!!

Just indicate for now if you think you know the answer, or can guess it, or don't know. I would like to get just poll answers for, say, two days, before we actually answer the question! Note: I allow names of voters to be displayed!

No spoilers, please!

Last edited by Oystein; 11th July 2017 at 11:06 AM.
Oystein is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2017, 11:04 AM   #2
Argumemnon
World Maker

It goes to lipid heaven.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2017, 11:04 AM   #3
jrhowell
Critical Thinker

Should we assume that by posting in Religion and Philosophy you are not looking for only scientific answers?
jrhowell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2017, 11:06 AM   #4
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by jrhowell View Post
Should we assume that by posting in Religion and Philosophy you are not looking for only scientific answers?
Turns out my answer is entirely on-topic!

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2017, 11:07 AM   #5
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jrhowell View Post
grrr dang *self-reported

Last edited by Oystein; 11th July 2017 at 11:09 AM.
Oystein is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2017, 11:46 AM   #6
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

It's always in the last place you look.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2017, 11:56 AM   #7
Spock Jenkins
Muse

When other people lose them, I find them.
Spock Jenkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2017, 12:10 PM   #8
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

I am pretty sure I know (or better said I remember it from biology classes on how triglyceride are used and the resulting excretion).

Is that... All you want from us ?
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2017, 12:11 PM   #9
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
No spoilers, please!
Don't tell me what to do!

I'd assume the fats are just burned by the cells when needed, and thus go away in the same way other consumables are: heat and waste products.

Old 11th July 2017, 12:12 PM   #10
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Talking

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Don't tell me what to do!

I'd assume the fats are just burned by the cells when needed, and thus go away in the same way other consumables are: heat and waste products.
Dang, my first answer of "faery dust" is busted. I guess I'll have to go to the waste product road then.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2017, 12:14 PM   #11
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
Dang, my first answer of "faery dust" is busted. I guess I'll have to go to the waste product road then.
Don't give up yet. My lipid heaven answer is still the more likely one.

Old 11th July 2017, 01:59 PM   #12
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Don't give up yet. My lipid heaven answer is still the more likely one.
Yes, but what about their next life?
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2017, 02:22 PM   #13
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

It's pretty easy to Google.. Just watch out for the Lipozene adds..

Don't click if you don't want to be spoiled. All kinds of chemistry sounding stuff.
The Physiology of Fat Loss

They left out the ' heaven ' part, but it's probably hidden in there somewhere.

Prove your computer is not a wimp ! Join Team 13232 !
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2017, 02:31 PM   #14
ahhell
Muse

CO2 and piss would be my guess.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2017, 03:47 PM   #15
Belgian thought
Graduate Poster

Fatbergs? - http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...6224624764.jpg
Old 11th July 2017, 03:49 PM   #16
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

I just assumed the 99.999999999% of the mass that wasn't converted to energy got peed out.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2017, 04:02 PM   #17
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
I am pretty sure I know (or better said I remember it from biology classes on how triglyceride are used and the resulting excretion).

Is that... All you want from us ?
Yes
And where it actually goes.
Old 11th July 2017, 04:05 PM   #18
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Don't click if you don't want to be spoiled. All kinds of chemistry sounding stuff.
The Physiology of Fat Loss

They left out the ' heaven ' part, but it's probably hidden in there somewhere.
This is no spoiler, for it doesn't answer the question: Where does it go?
Old 11th July 2017, 04:08 PM   #19
Belgian thought
Graduate Poster

I was right?

Originally Posted by Belgian thought View Post
Really have no idea.
Old 11th July 2017, 04:10 PM   #20
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
It's always in the last place you look.
Also, you get used to it so much, you can't see it anymore.
Old 11th July 2017, 04:11 PM   #21
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belgian thought View Post
I was right?

Really have no idea.
I have no idea what this fatberg is. Looks yuckie
Old 11th July 2017, 05:13 PM   #22
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Back when I lost 60# in 90 days, the loss happened overnight. You exhale the CO2 AND lots of water vapor while resting.

And a lot of your metabolizing happens NOT when you are doing the work, but later when your body replenishes it's anaerobic energy source, ATP. Think of ATP as gun powder, the fuel and oxygen are already burnt, the final explosion is ready to happen. The CO2 and H2O are given off when resting. So much water is given off in your sleep the mildew on the walls of cool bedrooms is from YOU.

Or go with the lipid heaven proposition.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2017, 06:03 PM   #23
deaman
Philosopher

My first thought is that fay is converted.

To what do you ask?

I assume "energy".
deaman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2017, 06:25 PM   #24
Ranb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Unless you're dehydrated; then it's all exhaled.

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2017, 07:07 PM   #25
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Actually it does.

It goes to the Mitochondrion..
Quote:
Focus Paragraph: An Overview of Fat Metabolism in the Mitochondrion
Fatty acids are transported into the muscle where they are either stored (as IMTAG) or transported into the mitochondrion, which can be referred to as the fat-burning furnace in a person's body cells (as this is the only place TAG are completely broken down). As the chemical bonds in TAG molecules are broken up in metabolism they begin to lose electrons (a process called oxidation) and are picked up (a process called reduction) by electron transporters (NADH+H+ and FADH2). The electron transporters take the electrons to the electron transport chain for further oxidation, which leads to a liberation of energy that is used to produce adenosine triphosphate (ATP). Unused energy becomes heat energy to sustain the body's core temperature. This ATP synthesizing process depends upon a steady supply of oxygen, which is why this process is aptly nicknamed “aerobic metabolism” or “aerobic respiration.”
Adapted from Achten, J., and Jeukendrup, A.E. 2012.

Prove your computer is not a wimp ! Join Team 13232 !
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2017, 07:14 PM   #26
Steve001
Graduate Poster

It goes nowhere. The latent chemical energy contained within the fat is metabolized. That metabolic process causes the fat cells to shrink give the appearance of dissappearing fat.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2017, 07:22 PM   #27
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Poop. Pee. Exhalations. Sweat. Not in that order.

Planet X poll choice is wrong. They have body fat, but it's teleported away.
Old 11th July 2017, 11:41 PM   #28
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

I have no idea what this fatberg is. Looks yuckie
I think it's where people tip animal fats from cooking down the kitchen sink. It solidifies and forms huge lumps in the cool of underground, especially in winter.

Anyway, that fat is eventually used to produce energy and the waste products are CO2 and H2O?

Last edited by GlennB; 11th July 2017 at 11:43 PM.
GlennB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2017, 01:55 AM   #29
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Actually it does.

It goes to the Mitochondrion..
This is incorrect. I know the answer. Just in case you want to know what the correct answer is I have put it in spoilers. I have seen a youtube on the subject.

You breathe in oxygen and breathe out the oxygen combined with carbon as CO2. The carbon used to be the fat in the body. You might lose a little water when you lose weight, which was combined with the fat. This would be true when you first start losing weight, but after that it is all breathed out. Poop would be only a very minor contributor, if at all.

Whatever you do make sure you do not lose too much muscle mass when losing weight. After using a few kilos you might want to think about exercising a bit extra to keep the muscles that were used to move the fat that you have lost.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2017, 04:50 AM   #30
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
This is incorrect. I know the answer. Just in case you want to know what the correct answer is I have put it in spoilers. I have seen a youtube on the subject.

You breathe in oxygen and breathe out the oxygen combined with carbon as CO2. The carbon used to be the fat in the body. You might lose a little water when you lose weight, which was combined with the fat. This would be true when you first start losing weight, but after that it is all breathed out. Poop would be only a very minor contributor, if at all.
Fat isn't just carbon. It's also hydrogen and oxygen. The hydrogen will largely be pissed out as water.

The real question is actually which way the oxygen from the fat goes. Does the oxygen ride along with the carbon as CO2? Or does it ride along with the hydrogen as water?

In the reverse question (where does most of the mass for a tree come from), the oxygen details are actually critical. It's made largely by photosynthesis, using water and air as feed stock. The hydrogen comes from water, and the carbon comes from air, but where does the oxygen come from? Turns out, all of it comes from the carbon dioxide, none of it comes from the water. But you can't tell that just by looking at the net input/output.

Quote:
Whatever you do make sure you do not lose too much muscle mass when losing weight. After using a few kilos you might want to think about exercising a bit extra to keep the muscles that were used to move the fat that you have lost.
What exercise you do is also important. Running won't maintain as much muscle as weight lifting.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2017, 05:02 AM   #31
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Yes, but what about their next life?
They might get reincarnated as proteins if they were good enough.

Outside.

Old 12th July 2017, 05:03 AM   #32
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by deaman View Post
Tina became Pastafarian?

Old 12th July 2017, 05:05 AM   #33
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
In the reverse question (where does most of the mass for a tree come from), the oxygen details are actually critical. It's made largely by photosynthesis, using water and air as feed stock. The hydrogen comes from water, and the carbon comes from air, but where does the oxygen come from? Turns out, all of it comes from the carbon dioxide, none of it comes from the water. But you can't tell that just by looking at the net input/output.
Where does the oxygen from the water go, then?

Old 12th July 2017, 05:21 AM   #34
GlennB

Into the air? Plants are net producers of oxygen.
Old 12th July 2017, 05:28 AM   #35
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by deaman View Post

To what do you ask?

I assume "energy".
Who is fay and why is her name not capitalized???????

Enquirer minds.............

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2017, 05:31 AM   #36
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Into the air? Plants are net producers of oxygen.
Ziggurat said that the O2 in the air came almost entirely from carbon dioxide. So my question stands: where does the water oxygen go if not the air?

Old 12th July 2017, 05:31 AM   #37
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

Can't vote till I know what you wanna hear. I'm sure it's somewhere around 14 years.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2017, 05:50 AM   #38
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Back into the air. All that's retained from the water is the hydrogen. The oxygen in photosynthesized glucose comes exclusively from the carbon dioxide.

People get this wrong for two reasons: first, the formula:

6 CO2 + 3 H2O -> C6H12O6 + 6 O2

It looks like it would be simpler to strip the oxygen from the carbon and then smoosh the carbon onto the water, but that's not what happens.

The second reason is that we're commonly taught that trees "breath in" carbon dioxide and "breathe out" oxygen, which also suggests that the oxygen is taken from the carbon dioxide. But only part of it is.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2017, 05:51 AM   #39
GlennB

Ziggurat said that the O2 in the air came almost entirely from carbon dioxide. So my question stands: where does the water oxygen go if not the air?
I think he was referring to the O2 that gets built into the plant material itself.

Here we go (and it's the exact reverse of the classic equation for cellular respiration)

6CO2 + 6H2O —> C6H12O6 + 6O2

In photosynthesis the left side should really say "+energy [sunlight]", while the reverse for cellular respiration sees energy released along with the O2 and H2O

Last edited by GlennB; 12th July 2017 at 05:55 AM.
GlennB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2017, 05:55 AM   #40
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
I think he was referring to the O2 that gets built into the plant material itself.
That too. The phrasing was ambiguous, but yes, I meant that all of the oxygen in photosynthesized glucose (and everything built from that, such as cellulose) comes from carbon dioxide, not from water.

But it's not O2 once it's part of the glucose.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology