ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Minneapolis incidents , police incidents , police misconduct charges , shooting incidents

Old 16th July 2017, 05:24 PM   #1
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Australian woman shot dead by Minneapolis police

No body cams working. Woman is blonde and white.

http://www.news.com.au/world/north-a...25da452e25d46c

Interesting to see how this case goes.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2017, 05:36 PM   #2
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post

Are you sure?

Fairfax says that she was an Australian native.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austra...YrC&ocid=wispr
Old 16th July 2017, 05:38 PM   #3
a_unique_person

Pics in my link. Native as in born in Australia.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2017, 06:12 PM   #4
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

One part of the mystery solved - explains the trigger happy cops.

Last edited by Agatha; 17th July 2017 at 01:50 PM. Reason: shrink huge picture
AJM8125 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2017, 06:44 PM   #5
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Amazing coincidence.

None of the officers' body cameras were turned on.

I wonder what they use them for?
Old 16th July 2017, 07:53 PM   #6
mgidm86
Illuminator

This is all we know:

Quote:
“Two Minneapolis police officers responded to a 911 call of a possible assault just north of the 5100 block of Washburn Avenue South just before 11.30pm Saturday,” it read.

“At one point an officer fired their weapon, fatally striking a woman.”

The step-son said she thought she heard a noise in the alley.

Quote:
“I just know she heard a sound in the alley so then she called the police and the cops showed up and she was a very passionate woman, she probably thought something bad was happening and then next thing I know they take my best friend’s life.”

Why did he mention "very passionate"?
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2017, 08:02 PM   #7
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

This wouldn't have happened if she'd been armed with a boomerang!

But I suppose I shall wait for more evidence before characterizing the officers involved as "wild-eyed trigger-happy psychopaths."

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky

"I'll teach your grandmother to suck eggs!"

Last edited by shemp; 16th July 2017 at 08:07 PM.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2017, 08:30 PM   #8
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
This is all we know:

Clearly something that makes her very suspicious and likely to be shot by police.
Old 16th July 2017, 08:31 PM   #9
Elagabalus
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
This is all we know:

It's code for someone who, on occasion, exhibits anger. Duh!

It looks like she called the police and then was shot. Nice!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2017, 08:46 PM   #10
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
This wouldn't have happened if she'd been armed with a boomerang!

But I suppose I shall wait for more evidence before characterizing the officers involved as "wild-eyed trigger-happy psychopaths."
I suspect a couple of fairly sane officers encountered a manic depressive paranoid schizophrenic who was in attack mode.

And whatever else come out, the pigs ought to be fired for turning off their cameras.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2017, 08:51 PM   #11
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
I suspect a couple of fairly sane officers encountered a manic depressive paranoid schizophrenic who was in attack mode.
Donald Trump was there?

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky

"I'll teach your grandmother to suck eggs!"
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2017, 09:18 PM   #12
Ranb
Philosopher

http://blogs.mprnews.org/newscut/201...lice-shooting/
Quote:
It’s not yet clear. Minneapolis Police Department policy does not allow for manual deactivation “for an arrest, DUI, Use of Force, traffic stop or a ‘Significant Incident’."

Assistant Minneapolis police chief Medaria Arradondo confirmed that the body camera program is fully implemented in Minneapolis but Arradondo wouldn’t say why the cameras didn’t work.

And if the officers didn’t turn them off, how is it that both officers’ cameras didn’t work?

In other words, we appear to be left with the situation the $4 million investment in the cameras was supposed to eliminate.
Wow, if this crap is true I can't think of a better way to waste $4 million bucks or trash your organization's rep with the public.

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2017, 10:16 PM   #13
ddt
Mafia Penguin

So it's not even safe to call the police because you might get shot yourself. And this part of the story is really strange:
Quote:
She was talking to the driver when the officer in the passenger seat pulled out his gun and shot across his fellow officer.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2017, 10:17 PM   #14
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

With the only witnesses to the incident being the two officers involved, both of whose body cams were coincidentally not operating, I predict that the entire thing will be reported as the fault of the woman, who through no fault at all of either officer, ended up dead.
Old 16th July 2017, 10:21 PM   #15
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
With the only witnesses to the incident being the two officers involved, both of whose body cams were coincidentally not operating, I predict that the entire thing will be reported as the fault of the woman, who through no fault at all of either officer, ended up dead.
well,she was wilfully and persistently a foreigner...
Old 16th July 2017, 10:32 PM   #16
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
So it's not even safe to call the police because you might get shot yourself. And this part of the story is really strange:
I guess one police officer now has an eardrum blown out.
Old 16th July 2017, 11:14 PM   #17
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Quote:
Police said a squad camera also failed to capture the incident, and investigators were seeking to determine if any video of the incident existed.
No mention of weapon either. It will be very interesting to see how one can justify that a woman in pajama was a "threat to their life". Possibly she was coming at them running/walking brisk, will be the excuse.

I think your police need a reform - nationwide.

ETA Oh and a slight addition law : cop are now forced to wear body camera, and forced before any shift start to make sure they works, and if they do not - their word should not be taken at face value at all.

Last edited by Aepervius; 16th July 2017 at 11:15 PM.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 01:07 AM   #18
Bob001
Philosopher

The Minneapolis paper has more detail. This is just incomprehensible.
http://www.startribune.com/woman-kil...s/434782213/#1
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 01:09 AM   #19
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
No mention of weapon either. It will be very interesting to see how one can justify that a woman in pajama was a "threat to their life". Possibly she was coming at them running/walking brisk, will be the excuse.

Not even that:
Quote:
Three sources with knowledge of the incident said Sunday that two officers in one squad car, responding to the 911 call, pulled into the alley. Damond, in her pajamas, went to the driver’s side door and was talking to the driver. The officer in the passenger seat pulled his gun and shot Damond through the driver’s side door, sources said. No weapon was found at the scene.
And she was the person who called the cops in the first place.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 02:58 AM   #20
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Amazing coincidence.

I wonder what they use them for?
The cameras always seem to fail right before a shooting.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 03:00 AM   #21
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
http://blogs.mprnews.org/newscut/201...lice-shooting/

Wow, if this crap is true I can't think of a better way to waste $4 million bucks or trash your organization's rep with the public.

Ranb
4 Mill seems to be about average for the wrongful death lawsuit settlements where the cops totally did nothing wrong.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 03:09 AM   #22
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post

Design flaw?

Is it a bug or a feature?
Old 17th July 2017, 03:33 AM   #23
Reactor drone
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
At a guess, it might be procedure to turn them on just before you leave the vehicle. Since they shot her without exiting their vehicle they never turned them on.

Doesn't look good for them though.
Reactor drone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 03:43 AM   #24
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

It's a thin blue line, between love and hate.
Old 17th July 2017, 04:26 AM   #25
Hevneren
Scholar

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
It's a thin blue line, between love and hate.
Care to explain?
Hevneren is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 05:05 AM   #26
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by Hevneren View Post
Care to explain?
Good luck with that
Old 17th July 2017, 05:12 AM   #27
Argumemnon
World Maker

Amazing coincidence.

Man, those things are just unreliable! Maybe they shut down when they sense death, or something.
Old 17th July 2017, 05:32 AM   #28
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

I guess one police officer now has an eardrum blown out.
Hope that at least!!!!!!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 06:30 AM   #29
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

There's no universal protocol for the use of the body cameras. Some departments have the requirement that they are "always on", apparently even when officers are riding around and possibly trash-talking the department "brass" or going to the john.
Others require that the cameras be turned on when actually responding to an incident. (Which limits the amount of data that must be stored).
If that was the case, then if the officers had just arrived and were still in the car, they might very well have not turned them on.
Naturally, the "dash-cam" would not show any action inside the vehicle.

As to the circumstances of the shooting itself, it's anyone's guess. Just have to wait.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 06:34 AM   #30
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

So hang on. She was talking to the driver of the patrol car, presumably leaning on the door when the 2nd cop shot her from inside the car across the face of the driver?
WTF?
Old 17th July 2017, 06:39 AM   #31
Argumemnon
World Maker

You know, I get that being a cop is dangerous sometimes... but you don't just shoot a woman in her pyjamas because she happens to be walking towards you.

"Oh, my god! Here she comes. Move your head, Joe!" <BANG>
Old 17th July 2017, 06:58 AM   #32
Drewbot
Philosopher

This one has to be an accidental discharge right?

It's not like they are going to say the nice white lady was reaching for a gun or anything.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 07:20 AM   #33
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
As to the circumstances of the shooting itself, it's anyone's guess. Just have to wait.
I don't blame you for sitting on the fence. Whether the police close up ranks or hang the officer out to dry, the outcome can't be favourable for the Minneapolis police.

I have a lot of respect for your posts but buying into this thread prematurely can damage you.

Last edited by psionl0; 17th July 2017 at 07:29 AM.
psionl0 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 07:43 AM   #34
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
This one has to be an accidental discharge right?

It's not like they are going to say the nice white lady was reaching for a gun or anything.
If she was reaching for the gun, she can't have been nice. Problem solved.

This signature is intended to irradiate people.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 07:47 AM   #35
Joe Random
Graduate Poster

All other considerations aside, wouldn't shooting from inside a car across the driver represent a serious <expletive deleted> hazard? Meaning even if this were something like the first wave of the zombie apocalypse and the simple fact of shooting were to wind up being justified, the manner in which it was done would be grossly negligent? Just thinking of the hearing loss alone has my head spinning.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 07:50 AM   #36
Mark F
Graduate Poster

I live in Minneapolis. This happened about a mile away from me. Last week an officer jumped a backyard fence while responding to a residential burglar alarm and shot the two dogs that were in the yard, all of which was caught on video. The dogs were wagging their tails and not approaching the officer. The burglar alarm turned out to be a false alarm.

I think we need to rethink what we teach our cops about imminent danger. We are awful quick to pull triggers in this country.
Old 17th July 2017, 08:10 AM   #37
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
The Minneapolis paper has more detail. This is just incomprehensible.
http://www.startribune.com/woman-kil...s/434782213/#1
If those are the facts, it sounds like a negligent discharge at the very least.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 08:10 AM   #38
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
I live in Minneapolis. This happened about a mile away from me. Last week an officer jumped a backyard fence while responding to a residential burglar alarm and shot the two dogs that were in the yard, all of which was caught on video. The dogs were wagging their tails and not approaching the officer. The burglar alarm turned out to be a false alarm.

I think we need to rethink what we teach our cops about imminent danger. We are awful quick to pull triggers in this country.
This is just *********** appalling. Warning: Shows dogs being shot. Even I found it difficult to watch.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aol...s-in-backyard/
Old 17th July 2017, 08:12 AM   #39
bytewizard
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Hevneren View Post
Care to explain?
It's a play on the song "It's a thin line, between love and hate."
bytewizard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 08:13 AM   #40
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
Unfortunately, if tehre is no video and no witness all we will have are the word of the cops. And no offense, but after having seen video of cops reacting badly or outright lying, I am not trusting any US cops anymore on their words.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events