IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th November 2012, 03:01 PM   #1
jj
Penultimate Amazing

The War on Non-Christmas

There is no such thing as a war on Christmas.

There is, however, a war on it not being Christmas 24/7, as evidenced by the fact I am already seeing lights, Christmas displays, advertisements, and "don't wait for black Friday" posters.

There is a war, and the war is to extend Christmas to January 2.

Enough, already.

I'm tempted to say "boycott Christmas", but that's socially unacceptable.
jj is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 03:04 PM   #2
AlBell
Philosopher

You can have a lump of coal as your present.
AlBell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 03:09 PM   #3
jj
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by AlBell View Post
Well, Al, I'm sure you have lots of that from your mine. Is it ok if I don't burn mine this time?
jj is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 03:09 PM   #4
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

Er, there are twelve days of Christmas: it ends on the 5th of January.

I'm all in favour of of everyone celebrating for just under two weeks, my only quibble being that winter hasn't really set in by the end of December. It perhaps ought to be a month/six-weeks later, when people are really miserable and need a good cheering-up.
Old 11th November 2012, 03:10 PM   #5
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Handy for first footing.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 03:12 PM   #6
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Costco in my area had Christmas stuff out long before they had their Halloween stuff on sale. Late September, early October, for Christmas trees (fake), decorations, and toys.

Which is why I truly hate Christmas. When I was young it was because the day just didn't live up to all the hype, now it is because the entire holiday paints such a depressing picture of the state of society and humanity.
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 03:12 PM   #7
ehcks
Illuminator

Walmart is now starting "Black Friday" on Thanksgiving at 8pm and staying open all night..
Old 11th November 2012, 03:13 PM   #8
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by qayak View Post
Costco in my area had Christmas stuff out long before they had their Halloween stuff on sale. Late September, early October, for Christmas trees (fake), decorations, and toys.

Which is why I truly hate Christmas. When I was young it was because the day just didn't live up to all the hype, now it is because the entire holiday paints such a depressing picture of the state of society and humanity.
That's nothing new. IIRC, Plato moaned about Xmas traders touting their wares earlier every year.
Old 11th November 2012, 03:14 PM   #9
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Christmas is just a marketing scheme there to get people to buy stuff that they normally wouldn't for people that don't need it.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 03:33 PM   #10
manofthesea
2wu4u

Last week at work while at our morning coffee break I recommended that we should alternate winter festivals every year.
One year would be Christmas, the next Dongzhi, then Obon, then the Mars festival, Sol Invictus next, Kwanzaa, Makahiki, a Druidic solstice festival, even Hanukkah.

Tough crowd, I didn't get any agreement, just some giggling from my coworker who was raised Jehovah Witness. The rest just want to see large ticket items go on deep discount.
Plus Xmas sales account for 40-60 percent of annual sales at a large portion of American retail establishments.
manofthesea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 03:46 PM   #11
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by commandlinegamer View Post
..my only quibble being that winter hasn't really set in by the end of December.
Uh-huh. Sure. Yep.

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 04:36 PM   #12
Tiktaalik
Half True Scotsperson

I'm all in favour of of everyone celebrating for just under two weeks, my only quibble being that winter hasn't really set in by the end of December. It perhaps ought to be a month/six-weeks later, when people are really miserable and need a good cheering-up.
That's what Presidents' Day is for! Whoo-hoo, everybody's favorite holiday!
Tiktaalik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 04:53 PM   #13
FreshHat
Why, You Little...

Originally Posted by Tiktaalik View Post
That's what Presidents' Day is for! Whoo-hoo, everybody's favorite holiday!
Don't forget to purchase some orange drink for the long ride home.
Old 11th November 2012, 04:58 PM   #14
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

That's nothing new. IIRC, Plato moaned about Xmas traders touting their wares earlier every year.
You meant Play Doh, right?
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 05:02 PM   #15
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

There's no more virulently atheist ass on the planet than me, but I already have the first three stations on my car radio programmed to the three stations in range broadcasting Christmas songs 24 hours a day already.

I stumbled across one, programmed it in, and then saw on the news that night that the station had started just that day.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 05:12 PM   #16
Vic Vega
Graduate Poster

Your recollection is flawed. Plato died hundreds of years before the common era.

--Shakespeare - Macbeth
Vic Vega is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 05:24 PM   #17
patchbunny
Graduate Poster

I put this in my brother's stocking one year.
"So, they laugh at my boner, will they? I'll show them! I'll show them how many boners the Joker can make!" -- The Joker, Batman #66
patchbunny is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 06:04 PM   #18
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jj View Post

There is, however, a war on it not being Christmas 24/7, as evidenced by the fact I am already seeing lights, Christmas displays, advertisements, and "don't wait for black Friday" posters.

Enough, already.

Well other religions don't seem to mind the lights and decorations so would it be too much trouble for the skeptics to put up with it for just a few weeks. Christmas is good for business and the economy nd it really doesn't hurt anything.

Skeptics can set up their own displays.
Old 11th November 2012, 06:37 PM   #19
joesixpack
Illuminator

I ******* hate Christmas. There are a veriety of reasons, not the least of which is the superficial "joy" and the false spirit of giving. I prefer American Thanksgiving. I like my family and friends, and I love a good meal with a large group. Gift giving is a giant waste of money. People buy me crap I don't want and never would buy for myself, and I buy crap for people that they don't want or need. I'd rather have them over for a drink and a meal. This is why I treat Christmas like a sequel to Thanksgiving. I have a meal with friends and family. I could give two ****s about the rest of the **** that goes along with it.
Old 11th November 2012, 06:43 PM   #20
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Our store received and had to put out for sale Christmas ribbon... on August 28th.

Yeah...
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 08:25 PM   #21
Draca
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by qayak View Post

I don't agree with this. Costco for one goes both in early and out early for shopping seasons. Most Christmas items are out of Costco a couple of weeks before Christmas. The idea is for people to buy items FOR Christmas when it does come. Not to display Christmas in its season.

Is everyone suppose to wait until the week before Christmas to run out and buy all the decorations and presents? Can you imagine how unbearable the stores would all be? Why is it so wrong to prepare for things ahead of time.

Now if Costco was playing Christmas music and decorating the actual warehouse at the same time I would agree with you. That would be extending the season way to early, not just offering goods for people to buy in preparation. That's not what they're doing though.

Last edited by Draca; 11th November 2012 at 09:09 PM.
Draca is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 08:32 PM   #22
Draca
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
I ******* hate Christmas. There are a veriety of reasons, not the least of which is the superficial "joy" and the false spirit of giving. I prefer American Thanksgiving. I like my family and friends, and I love a good meal with a large group. Gift giving is a giant waste of money. People buy me crap I don't want and never would buy for myself, and I buy crap for people that they don't want or need. I'd rather have them over for a drink and a meal. This is why I treat Christmas like a sequel to Thanksgiving. I have a meal with friends and family. I could give two ****s about the rest of the **** that goes along with it.

I completely agree. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday for the reasons you give.

Christmas has also been better since the family cut down on gift giving. Now we draw one family member's name for a gift exchange. The gift giving stress has been shredded and the holiday is now centered on the more important things.
Old 11th November 2012, 08:40 PM   #23
joesixpack
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Draca View Post
I completely agree. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday for the reasons you give.

Christmas has also been better since the family cut down on gift giving. Now we draw one family member's name for a gift exchange. The gift giving stress has been shredded and the holiday is now centered on the more important things.
This is why I married a Jew. Well, a Jewish atheist. My family has come to the conclusion that gifts are for children, everyone else just gets a hug and a hot meal.
Old 11th November 2012, 08:43 PM   #24
Maya22
Graduate Poster

The adults in our family give donations to non-profits in the name of of other family members. (I love Heifer International Seva.)

)

The children still receive tangible gifts from the adults.
Maya22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 09:34 PM   #25
steve s
Philosopher

My family has come to the conclusion that gifts are for children, everyone else just gets a hug and a hot meal.
That's how it is in my family. Once you're out of high school the gifts basically stop, although occasionally my sister will get me a book that she thinks I might be interested in.

Steve S
Old 11th November 2012, 10:09 PM   #26
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Enough, already.

I'd point out that shopping has zero to do with christmas, and in itself is an attack on the true meaning of the celebration, but in a world brainwashed into buying things everytime the TV shows the word "SALE", I think I'd be peeing into the wind.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 11:15 PM   #27
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

My mother once threatened me with coal as a gift. I explained how I could use it to make an explosive. I never got coal.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 11:23 PM   #28
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Christmas imperialism.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 12:10 AM   #29
jj
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
christmas is just a marketing scheme there to get people to buy stuff that they normally wouldn't for people that don't need it.
amen
Old 12th November 2012, 01:03 AM   #30
jj
Penultimate Amazing

Indeed, my poorly phrased point was that major retail establishments were trying to push the START of the season BACK to Jan 2.

Which would indeed overlap the lot, as I intended to suggest.
Old 12th November 2012, 01:05 AM   #31
jj
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
Newtonmas? What kind of display? Falling apples?
Old 12th November 2012, 01:07 AM   #32
jj
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
I'd point out that shopping has zero to do with christmas, and in itself is an attack on the true meaning of the celebration, but in a world brainwashed into buying things everytime the TV shows the word "SALE", I think I'd be peeing into the wind.
Well, which celebration? Christmas, Yule, Saturnalia?

And for the rest of your comment, you betcha I'm in agreement, although the last is a sad truth.
Old 12th November 2012, 01:33 AM   #33
SezMe
post-pre-born

One thing that really torques me is this inane "war on ..." crap. War on Christmas. War on drugs. War on terror. I want to see a war on (war on...).

Its not a benign meme. Using war as a metaphor invokes all the strategies, concepts and divisiveness of real war. Doing this warps a more meaningful discussion of whatever the issue is.

I'm disappointed that you would succumb to this type of language. Well, the other possibility is that I'm getting all huffy over a tongue-in-cheek OP. If so, start a war on me.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 01:47 AM   #34
Vermonter
Graduate Poster

I for one really like Chrismas lights and plan on putting them up pretty soon. I used to be bothered, but by now I'm used to see Christmas decorations up by the time Halloween has rolled around.
Vermonter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 03:49 AM   #35
This is The End

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
One thing that really torques me is this inane "war on ..." crap. War on Christmas. War on drugs. War on terror. I want to see a war on (war on...).

Its not a benign meme. Using war as a metaphor invokes all the strategies, concepts and divisiveness of real war. Doing this warps a more meaningful discussion of whatever the issue is.

I agree with that times a million. War is serious. Leave the word war for the real thing.
Old 12th November 2012, 03:51 AM   #36
Alt+F4
diabolical globalist

Folks in New Jersey would love that as a present.
Alt+F4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 03:55 AM   #37
Alt+F4
diabolical globalist

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post

I'm disappointed that you would succumb to this type of language. Well, the other possibility is that I'm getting all huffy over a tongue-in-cheek OP. If so, start a war on me.
Oh please. Yeah I agree a "War on Christmas" is not an appropriate use of the "war" as a defined word. War is armed conflict between nations or parties; both the War on Terror and the War on Drugs meet this definition.
Alt+F4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 04:57 AM   #38
Soapy Sam
Penultimate Amazing

Indeed, my poorly phrased point was that major retail establishments were trying to push the START of the season BACK to Jan 2.

Which would indeed overlap the lot, as I intended to suggest.

This had already occurred by about 1708. Christmas has moved back through the year so far it has actually been lapped.
What you will be forced to celebrate this December is in fact Christmas 2013.
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 05:22 AM   #39
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
Well other religions don't seem to mind the lights and decorations so would it be too much trouble for the skeptics to put up with it for just a few weeks. Christmas is good for business and the economy nd it really doesn't hurt anything.

yes, but the War of Christmas seems to be that the stores are playing the annoying music already and the TV ads have started.
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 05:23 AM   #40
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

There is always the alternative of giving food and requesting food.

But I agree, the original tradition was food and some small gifts. But at some point the Military Industrial Complex got involved.

Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events