IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th November 2012, 08:14 AM   #1
Almo
Masterblazer

Vocabulary of news reporting WRT armed conflicts

This subject involves Israel/Palestine, but it's really about a larger issue. It's not about who's to blame, rather it is about how the press reports on the subject. So I'm putting it here.

----------

I have noticed a shift in CNN's coverage of the Israel/Palestine conflict. They had some people on who said, paraphrased, "Neither side is benefitting from the conflict at this point. Both need to stop the violence and find a diplomatic solution." In the past, it's generally laid more blame on Palestine. Also, it wasn't just one person who said this, several people shared this opinion.

In an even bigger shift, the text about the story said (again, paraphrased except for the crucial word), "Conflict between the two nations over last 7 days". Note that the word "nation" is now being applied to both parties.

I became sensitive to this stuff when they started referring to Khadaffi's government as a "regime", and the govermental offices as a "compound". I then noticed that same shift when Syria's government started being called a "regime". Not that these shifts are new, just that I have started noticing them. It seems the press knows when to start using these words to prepare the nation for an invasion of or military action against a country.
"It may be that there is no body really at rest, to which the places and motions of others may be referred." –Issac Newton in the Principia
Almo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2012, 03:24 PM   #2
Vorticity
Fluid Mechanic

Also:

What the heck is a "militant", anyway?
Old 20th November 2012, 03:34 PM   #3
pipelineaudio
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Almo View Post
I have noticed a shift in CNN's coverage of the Israel/Palestine conflict. They had some people on who said, paraphrased, "Neither side is benefitting from the conflict at this point. Both need to stop the violence and find a diplomatic solution." In the past, it's generally laid more blame on Palestine. Also, it wasn't just one person who said this, several people shared this opinion.
CNN? I don't think so, they've been consistently anti-israel as long as I can remember
Old 20th November 2012, 04:45 PM   #4
Almo
Masterblazer

I think you're watching a different CNN than I have been.
"It may be that there is no body really at rest, to which the places and motions of others may be referred." –Issac Newton in the Principia
Almo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 10:35 AM   #5
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Peirce Morgan is a real piece of work, suggesting to an Israeli ambassador that Israel should take it easy because they were killing way more than were being killed.

He seemed to think it was a tit for tat situation, so Israel should just mildly respond because, hey, not many Israelis had been killed.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events