ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th March 2019, 05:53 PM   #1
jadebox
Graduate Poster

Buffy, the Domestic Dog

My wife and I were talking the other night after watching an episode of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" when something we said got the attention of our Amazon Echo. It said,

Quote:
Buffy, the Domestic Dog

So, I asked it "Alexa: What is Buffy the Domestic Dog?"

Her reply was:

Quote:
Buffy, the Domestic Dog

Google returns no matches for the exact phrase "Buffy, the Domestic Dog" (though it'll probably return this post soon). Does anyone have a clue as to what the heck is "Buffy the Domestic Dog?"

(And don't answer, "Buffy, the Domestic Dog!")
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2019, 06:07 PM   #2
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Why are you asking Google about an Amazon response?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2019, 06:12 PM   #3
jadebox
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

I wanted to see if there was any significance to the phrase.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2019, 06:19 PM   #4
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jadebox View Post
I wanted to see if there was any significance to the phrase.
The phrase is significant to Amazon
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2019, 06:22 PM   #5
Whip
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
to be told:

Quote:
Buffy, the Domestic Dog
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2019, 06:31 PM   #6
Hungry81
Master Poster

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...koAL1NLXiIUkAP

Its either that or the title of an unreleased episode where Willows hijinks with magic and Oz turn Buffy into a dog and gets vlad the impaler confused with Vlad the shirtless

Last edited by Hungry81; 11th March 2019 at 06:33 PM.
Hungry81 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2019, 12:15 AM   #7
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

My wife and I were talking the other night after watching an episode of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" when something we said got the attention of our Amazon Echo.)
Can you remember what is was you said that got the response?
Old 12th March 2019, 04:52 AM   #8
jadebox
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
No. We didn't intentionally say the "Alexa" wakeup word.

That is part of that made it so strange. We were talking about the episode we had just watched when the Echo said "Buffy, the domestic dog."

I had the chance yesterday to try an Echo on someone else's account and it also replies to "What is Buffy the domestic dog?" with the same response. Other similar phrases get the standard "Sorry, I am not sure about that" response.
Old 12th March 2019, 06:03 AM   #9
p0lka
Graduate Poster

Alexa has a few easter eggs built in, it gives funny replies to some statements so I presume it's one of those.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2019, 09:43 AM   #10
jadebox
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
Alexa has a few easter eggs built in, it gives funny replies to some statements so I presume it's one of those.
It seems more like a mistake than an intentional Easter Egg.

I thought maybe the phrase was the start of an excerpt from a Wikipedia article like Alexa often uses as a response to many inquires. But, I wasn't able to find anything similar in Wikipedia. I also considered that we, or Alexa, might have heard the phrase incorrectly, but it shows up in the Alexa app as "Buffy the domestic dog."

BTW, my favorite Easter Egg was one that I don't think works anymore. I asked Alexa, "how do I determine my shoe size?" (It was a serious question.)

Alexa replied, "I don't know everything, but I do know what kind of shoes ninjas wear."

"Alexa, what kind of shoes do ninjas wear?"

"Sneakers."
Old 13th March 2019, 03:44 PM   #11
This is The End

Type Buffy, the Domestic Dog into Google Images.

The first result is President Trump's boss.
Old 13th March 2019, 04:04 PM   #12
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Took until the fourth one for me. He's in the third one, but it's focused on the dog and doesn't show his face.
Old 13th March 2019, 04:26 PM   #13
This is The End

#1: Rig Brexit
#2: Rig US Presidential election & Supreme Court
#3: Rig jadebox's amazon echo

I wonder what could be next?
Old 13th March 2019, 04:53 PM   #14
BowlOfRed
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Even if the OP can't, Alexa should.

The mobile app can show all the phrases that are received (unfortunately it doesn't show the response). Whenever it says something out of the blue (or unexpected), we always look at it to see what it heard.

Last edited by BowlOfRed; 13th March 2019 at 04:55 PM.
BowlOfRed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 02:50 AM   #15
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Since you were watching Buffy, I'm betting Alexa heard "Xander" as "Alexa".

And then lots of "Buffy"
Old 14th March 2019, 04:27 AM   #16
jadebox
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by BowlOfRed View Post
Even if the OP can't, Alexa should.

The mobile app can show all the phrases that are received (unfortunately it doesn't show the response). Whenever it says something out of the blue (or unexpected), we always look at it to see what it heard.
Ah ... I looked at Activity in the app later, but didn't think to look for the first instance. I did look it up just now and ...

Apparently, all Alexa heard the first time was "Buffy "

I just tried saying "Alexa: Buffy" and the lady in the white Pringles can replied "Buffy the domestic dog."

For "Buffy, the domestic dog," the app is showing a photo from Wikipedia along with a link to the "Dog" article there.

Last edited by jadebox; 14th March 2019 at 04:31 AM.
Old 14th March 2019, 05:45 AM   #17
elgarak
Illuminator

Ah ... I looked at Activity in the app later, but didn't think to look for the first instance. I did look it up just now and ...

Apparently, all Alexa heard the first time was "Buffy "

I just tried saying "Alexa: Buffy" and the lady in the white Pringles can replied "Buffy the domestic dog."

For "Buffy, the domestic dog," the app is showing a photo from Wikipedia along with a link to the "Dog" article there.
There's still the question why it thought to reply that way.

If I hear "Buffy", I'll add "The Vampire Slayer".

Before this thread came up, google did not know "Buffy the domestic dog", I guess. If you google now, you essentially only get this thread (the other hits are not a perfect match to the phrase).
elgarak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 06:29 AM   #18
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by elgarak View Post

Before this thread came up, google did not know "Buffy the domestic dog", I guess. If you google now, you essentially only get this thread (the other hits are not a perfect match to the phrase).
Google does give one interesting and related article...

Buffy, Not the Vampire Slayer

Originally Posted by National Purebred Dog Day
Unlike other domesticated dogs, the Kaakachan was treated as a respected family member to the extent that they were even allowed to eat first: Their typical diet: A vegetarian diet comprised of oats and wheat mixed with a little milk....

It helped bring attention to the breed that Vladimir Putin was gifted a Karakachan Bear Dog from Bulgarian PM, Boyko Borissov, to “seal the deal”, as it were, on Bulgaria signing on to the South Stream energy pipeline. When asked how the dog he named, “Buffy” was adjusting to his new family, Putin replied, “He draws me huge puddles around the entire house, and leaves piles. But he’s a very pretty boy, of course, and I love him.”...

https://nationalpurebreddogday.com/b...vampire-slayer
Old 14th March 2019, 07:11 AM   #19
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by elgarak View Post

Hasn't the connection to Putin and Buffy the Vampire Slayer already been pointed out? Putin has a dog named Buffy and there are pictures of her on the net captioned with "Buffy, Not the Vampire Slayer".

ETA: I see this has been pointed. Exactly what is the mystery here?

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 14th March 2019 at 07:13 AM.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 07:35 AM   #20
jadebox
Graduate Poster

[quote=RecoveringYuppy;12632051ETA: I see this has been pointed. Exactly what is the mystery here?[/QUOTE]

Why Alexa replies "Buffy, the domestic dog" to a query of "Buffy" or "Buffy the domestic dog" is the mystery. Putin having a dog named Buffy doesn't explain it. It seems to be an odd quirk, probably some sort of mistake in the Echo database.

Or it could be that Alexa doesn't like Sarah Michelle Gellar.
Old 14th March 2019, 07:49 AM   #21
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Why Alexa replies "Buffy, the domestic dog" to a query of "Buffy" or "Buffy the domestic dog" is the mystery.
That is not the primary mystery to me. My mystery is why Alexa treats statements as if they are questions.

When Alexa says, "Buffy, the Domestic Dog", she is not responding to any asked question whatsoever.
Old 14th March 2019, 07:53 AM   #22
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

It's because there is a domestic dog named Buffy associated by meme with Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 08:03 AM   #23
jadebox
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
That is not the primary mystery to me. My mystery is why Alexa treats statements as if they are questions.

When Alexa says, "Buffy, the Domestic Dog", she is not responding to any asked question whatsoever.
Alexa also responds to commands like "Turn in the bedroom light.". But, for statements that aren't recognized commands, she usually treats the phrase as if it were a search term.

But, if it is something trivial like "Buffy" or somewhat incomprehensible like "Buffy the domestic dog." In that case, she will (or should) respond with a failure message.
Old 14th March 2019, 08:09 AM   #24
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Alexa also responds to commands like "Turn in the bedroom light.". But, for statements that aren't recognized commands, she usually treats the phrase as if it were a search term.

But, if it is something trivial like "Buffy" or somewhat incomprehensible like "Buffy the domestic dog." In that case, she will (or should) respond with a failure message.
This doesn't solve my mystery. Because if Alexa then hears the phrase "Buffy, the Vampire Slayer" her response ought to be something like, "Friday at 8pm on channel 16".

But instead her response is completely nonsensical, as if Alexa doesn't know that it's a television program.
Old 14th March 2019, 08:32 AM   #25
jadebox
Graduate Poster

But instead her response is completely nonsensical, as if Alexa doesn't know that it's a television program.
Yes, that's why I found it interesting. Well, that and because of the coincidence that we didn't intentionally wake Alexa when she first decided to blurt out the phrase.
Old 14th March 2019, 08:46 AM   #26
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Yes, that's why I found it interesting. Well, that and because of the coincidence that we didn't intentionally wake Alexa when she first decided to blurt out the phrase.
Alexa said it while you and your wife were discussing the episode that you had just watched. Did you or your wife even utter the phrase "Buffy, the Vampire Slayer" at all?

I'm asking because you guys didn't necessarily need to say that in your conversation and maybe you did not.
Old 14th March 2019, 09:05 AM   #27
jadebox
Graduate Poster

Alexa said it while you and your wife were discussing the episode that you had just watched. Did you or your wife even utter the phrase "Buffy, the Vampire Slayer" at all?

I'm asking because you guys didn't necessarily need to say that in your conversation and maybe you did not.
I don't recall specifically what we said. The Alexa app says that the Echo heard only "Buffy."
Old 20th March 2019, 11:49 AM   #28
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by This is The End View Post
Type Buffy, the Domestic Dog into Google Images.

The first result is President Trump's boss.
Putin awards dog show prizes?

I thought the only honours he could personally bestow were "Hero of the Russian Federation" and "POTUS".

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet