ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags robert kraft , sex scandals , sports incidents

Old 5th March 2019, 10:19 AM   #241
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
...So is that crystal clear that police are putting pressure on these women to tell the story they want them to tell? It's a situation where if you don't "identify as" a victim, you will be prosecuted. One of the six women did "identify as" a victim of trafficking, but you must consider that if she hadn't, she would have been incarcerated and prosecuted. By cooperating, she got to go to a "safe place" instead of wherever the other women are being held.
Yeah, how dare the police cut a deal with the lower underlings to testify against the higher-ups engaged in a criminal activity involving racketeering, prostitution and (maybe if they're lucky), human trafficking!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2019, 12:37 PM   #242
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
It's in my quote...

Ah, missed that. If that’s all they pay, then they are cleaning up! They could easily choose to live elsewhere (their being illegal is no barrier to this). Which makes me think several things...

-They also have a “smuggling debt” they have to pay which eats into their profits.

-They are being forced to live there with threats and intimidation.

-They are choosing to live there so they can send money back home.

-The reported pay is not accurate, just a story they were told to tell.

What I do know is if that they made $1000 or more per week, it wouldn’t take long for them to save up enough to stop doing this work and leave the “parlor.”

Obviously a very complex situation. I see a parallel to the illegal agricultural workers in my neck of the woods. They are smuggled over here and then have a debt to pay which keeps them trapped in servitude until that debt is paid off, which almost never happens. They live in camps on the job site. These camps are patrolled by the ring leaders so no one escapes.

I think it’s a matter of time before a similar situation is uncovered here. I guess we will see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 5th March 2019, 12:52 PM   #243
carlitos
"más divertido"

Yeah, that $30 a day to live in a strip mall massage place and sleep on the tables is a great deal. It's only like $1000 per month, and you get to grill out back! Sure, you could get a one-bedroom apartment just off the intracoastal with a water view, balcony, pool and fitness center for the same price, or half if you split it 2 ways, but where would the fun be in that? Moving to a new country is supposed to be an adventure. Whenever I move to a new country, I try to stay indoors in some shady place in a strip mall for as many hours per day as I can. That maximizes my chance for interesting new experiences.

Last edited by carlitos; 5th March 2019 at 12:54 PM. Reason: intracoastal
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2019, 12:57 PM   #244
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Yeah, that $30 a day to live in a strip mall massage place and sleep on the tables is a great deal. It's only like $1000 per month, and you get to grill out back! Sure, you could get a one-bedroom apartment just off the intracoastal with a water view, balcony, pool and fitness center for the same price, or half if you split it 2 ways, but where would the fun be in that?
She says the $30/day includes food. It probably also includes utilities.

I'll be attacked for even pointing it out.
Old 5th March 2019, 01:17 PM   #245
carlitos
"más divertido"

Same / Same
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2019, 04:19 PM   #246
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Sometimes it's all about the commute?

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 08:41 PM   #247
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Miami New Times
...when State Attorney Dave Aronberg conducted a news conference about the case, he downplayed Kraft and all the other men who’d been criminally charged, insisting this wasn’t about “lonely old men or victimless crimes.”

Instead, Aronberg said, it was about human trafficking, an “evil in our midst.”

"It's up to all of us to be the eyes and ears against human trafficking," Aronberg told the media. "If you see something, say something. That's the good that will come out of this.”

But for former police detective John Rode, founder of the nonprofit Global Children's Rescue, which helps save victims of human trafficking, there's something about the investigation that doesn't sit well. He questions why police officers, after installing cameras, watched the women committing dozens of sex acts over five days and did nothing to stop them. If these women were truly forced into sexual slavery, as police allegedly suspected, it would be tantamount to watching repeated rapes in order to bust the customers on misdemeanor charges.

"The number one concern should have been to rescue the victims," Rode says. "How could they look at this case as these women being victims and then watch the victims perform sex with the customers? It’s like letting a robbery occur and not doing anything."

No charges of human trafficking at the spa have resulted from the investigation. Veteran defense attorney Jamie Benjamin says if the real reason for the investigation was human trafficking, the placement of cameras in the massage rooms is suspect. He notes investigators had already established prostitution was happening inside the spa; witnessing the actual acts would not help build a trafficking case. For that, they should have placed the cameras in other areas of the spa to catch interaction between the women and alleged captors and bosses. It's another indication the Jupiter investigation might have really been about "lonely old men and victimless crimes" all along, Benjamin says.

"They are going to say that’s how you build a case," Benjamin says of the video recording. "But you’re utilizing investigative techniques and hiding the real reason you’re doing it. If you’re honest with the courts, those courts may not have given them the warrants to get their 'sneak-and-peeks.'"

Benjamin is referring to the sneak-and-peek warrant used in the Orchids of Asia case, which allowed investigators to install the cameras secretly in the first place (using a fabricated bomb scare at the business to get inside). Use of these warrants became widely available to law enforcement as a result of the Patriot Act (an irony perhaps not lost on Kraft); they were meant to be used in terrorism cases. They are extremely rare in Asian-spa investigations...

https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/r...reach-11105631
Old 7th March 2019, 09:47 PM   #248
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

So they used a fabricated bomb scare to place the cameras. Interesting. I was wondering how they managed to do that.
Old 8th March 2019, 07:55 AM   #249
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

So they used a fabricated bomb scare to place the cameras. Interesting. I was wondering how they managed to do that.
A bomb scare is a friendly way to treat abused victims of sex trafficking. These are tough Chinese grannies who are resistant to stress and psychological trauma.
Old 8th March 2019, 10:22 AM   #250
Aber
Graduate Poster

And a new angle:

Quote:
Trump cheered Patriots to Super Bowl victory with founder of spa where Kraft was busted
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/pol...227186429.html
Aber is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2019, 10:32 AM   #251
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Trump Parties With Sex Trafficker While Chinese Grannies Escape Bombs And Eat Food From A Refrigerator With Happy Ending
Old 8th March 2019, 08:42 PM   #252
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Aber View Post
Dang, his whole family took pictures with her.

Did this imbecile acquire some kind of Compleat Black Book of Unscrupulous Characters and he's just made it his life's ambition to hang out with, get photos with, or have business dealings with every single individual listed? Practically by the week it's becoming more and more apparent that Trump has made a tenacious point of forming relationships with all the worst people in the country, if not the world. I'm actually impressed.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2019, 09:23 PM   #253
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Dang, his whole family took pictures with her.

Did this imbecile acquire some kind of Compleat Black Book of Unscrupulous Characters and he's just made it his life's ambition to hang out with, get photos with, or have business dealings with every single individual listed? Practically by the week it's becoming more and more apparent that Trump has made a tenacious point of forming relationships with all the worst people in the country, if not the world. I'm actually impressed.
And Sarah Palin.
Old 8th March 2019, 11:06 PM   #254
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

There was a huge bust of massage parlors in Seattle today as well.

26 WOMEN RESCUED DURING SEATTLE HUMAN TRAFFICKING, PROSTITUTION BUST
Quote:
Police raided 11 different massage parlors and rescued 26 women during a human trafficking and prostitution bust in Seattle.
Human trafficking is too common to dismiss these women as playing victim to get out of prosecution.
Old 8th March 2019, 11:13 PM   #255
The Big Dog

Sleazy fake news grifters defame the woman who sold the facilities long before the new accusations arose in order to score sleazy hate points against the President.

Miami Herald is garbage, and will likely get gawkered into oblivion.

scum bags
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2019, 11:28 PM   #256
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Sleazy fake news grifters defame the woman who sold the facilities long before the new accusations arose in order to score sleazy hate points against the President.

Miami Herald is garbage, and will likely get gawkered into oblivion.

scum bags
You didn't actually quote any falsehood in the article. Give it another shot.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2019, 12:11 AM   #257
Checkmite

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Sleazy fake news grifters defame the woman who sold the facilities long before the new accusations arose
I love how you realized that you had to put "the new accusations" in there, because you know that there are "old accusations" from before she sold the facilities that are substantively the same as the "new accusations", although you'd rather everyone ignored that fact.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2019, 01:06 AM   #258
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

What I do not understand is, now that Trump is in power and got his candidate on the supreme court, why doesn't the GOP just legalize prostitution?
After all, they and their backers seem to be using the service, and isn't capitalism providing services for money?
Besides the GOP always claims to be small government, and what does the government have to do with someones sex life?

Just passing that law would have changed this headline to 'Rich man pays for services' and thus be an unimportant story and at the same time free the police to focus on actual crimes, like human trafficking and slavery to prevent forced prostitution, rather than having to focus on all of them.
Lukraak_Sisser is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2019, 03:46 AM   #259
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post
What I do not understand is, now that Trump is in power and got his candidate on the supreme court, why doesn't the GOP just legalize prostitution?
After all, they and their backers seem to be using the service, and isn't capitalism providing services for money?
Besides the GOP always claims to be small government, and what does the government have to do with someones sex life?

Just passing that law would have changed this headline to 'Rich man pays for services' and thus be an unimportant story and at the same time free the police to focus on actual crimes, like human trafficking and slavery to prevent forced prostitution, rather than having to focus on all of them.

Because the sex is only good when it is naughty and against the law. Same for why the right wingers never seem to want to pay for it in places where it is legal and regulated.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2019, 07:24 AM   #260
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
You didn't actually quote any falsehood in the article. Give it another shot.
Lots of spittle, and squawking "grifter" as if one is a trained parrot, obviates the need for explanations. Get with the program.
Old 10th March 2019, 03:37 PM   #261
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
There was a huge bust of massage parlors in Seattle today as well.

26 WOMEN RESCUED DURING SEATTLE HUMAN TRAFFICKING, PROSTITUTION BUST

Human trafficking is too common to dismiss these women as playing victim to get out of prosecution.
That's interesting but it seems that all we have is the word of police regarding that. The "rescued victims" are being held at "an undisclosed location". Apparently incommunicado. We have one story to go by. That being told by the police.
Old 10th March 2019, 08:52 PM   #262
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aber View Post
Follow up:

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...at-mar-a-lago/

Quote:
Beyond this sordid tale, there is another angle to the strange story of Yang: She runs an investment business that has offered to sell Chinese clients access to Trump and his family. And a website for the business—which includes numerous photos of Yang and her purported clients hobnobbing at Mar-a-Lago, Trump’s private club in Palm Beach—suggests she had some success in doing so.
(Read story for more.)
Old 10th March 2019, 08:55 PM   #263
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

That's interesting but it seems that all we have [that article reports] is the word of police regarding that. The "rescued victims" are being held at "an undisclosed location". Apparently incommunicado. We have one story to go by. That being told by the police.
The investigation has been ongoing for a couple years apparently. I'm pretty sure they have an extensive case.
Old 11th March 2019, 08:08 AM   #264
carlitos
"más divertido"

ETA - oops- didn't see the link from Puppycow before posting this. Anyway, since it's already written and has a nice photo of our President, I'll just leave this here. It's important to note that her Facebook profile shows a photo of her with the head of NABMLA in Florida, Matt Gaetz.

Asian Spa founder sells access to Donald Trump and his family.

Quote:
Yang, who goes by Cindy, and her husband, Zubin Gong, started GY US Investments LLC in 2017. The company describes itself on its website, which is mostly in Chinese, as an “international business consulting firm that provides public relations services to assist businesses in America to establish and expand their brand image in the modern Chinese marketplace.” But the firm notes that its services also address clients looking to make high-level connections in the United States. On a page displaying a photo of Mar-a-Lago, Yang’s company says its “activities for clients” have included providing them “the opportunity to interact with the president, the [American] Minister of Commerce and other political figures.” The company boasts it has “arranged taking photos with the President” and suggests it can set up a “White House and Capitol Hill Dinner.” (The same day the Herald story about Yang broke, the website stopped functioning.)

Her Facebook page, which was taken offline on Friday, was loaded with photos of her posing with GOP notables: Donald Trump Jr., Rep. Matt Gaetz or Florida, Republican National Committee Chair Ronna McDaniel, Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, and former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, among others.

On a page displaying a photo of Mar-a-Lago, Yang’s company says its “activities for clients” have included providing them “the opportunity to interact with the president, the [American] Minister of Commerce and other political figures.”

The GY US Investments website lists upcoming events at Mar-a-Lago at which Yang’s clients presumably can mingle with Trump or members of his family. This includes something called the International Leaders Elite Forum, where Trump’s sister, Elizabeth Trump Grau, will supposedly be the featured speaker. Attendees, the site says, will include “Chinese elites from various countries, including the US states, as well as elite leaders from Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau, Australia, Europe and other countries and regions.” Another event for which Yang’s firm says it can provide access is Trump’s annual New Year’s celebration at Mar-a-Lago. Elsewhere on the website, the firm boasts that “GY Company arranged a number of guests to attend the 2019 New Year’s Eve dinner. All the guests took photos with” members of Trump’s family. This page displays photos of Chinese executives and a Chinese movie star with Donald Trump Jr., suggesting that these pics were arranged by the company, and also includes a photo of Yang with Elizabeth Trump Grau.

Last edited by carlitos; 11th March 2019 at 08:11 AM.
Old 14th March 2019, 05:29 AM   #265
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by TMZ
Sources familiar with the case tell us prosecutors have seen ZERO evidence of human trafficking to this point -- after a 5-month investigation. Further, we're told 2 federal agencies -- ICE and the FBI -- knew about the sting early on, and opted not to get involved because they saw no signs the case involved trafficking...
But then it is TMZ after all.

https://www.tmz.com/2019/03/14/rober...sex-no-charges
Old 14th March 2019, 10:04 AM   #266
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post

Because that would alienate the fundie/evangelical/catholic Christians who are their primary power base, and the reason they get elected at all.

Besides, the GOP has never been about small government, they're only about removing safety nets for undesirables and regulations for their cronies. When it comes to peoples' bedrooms, what drugs they use, keeping minorities and foreigners in their proper place, and bailing out their friends, the GOP has long been strongly in favour of big, bloated agencies and massive amounts of spending. Farming price-control subsidies, DEA, DHS, anti-sodomy legislation, and so on. These are all big-government and invasive programs. Not to mention having a military budget higher than the next dozen countries combined.
luchog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 07:19 PM   #267
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Exclusive first photos of the Chinese granny who helped Robert Kraft to a happy ending. The photos are from her New York State Identification Card and also from her State of Florida Department of Health Division of Medical Quality Assurance License for Massage Therapist.

I don't think that Florida should be handing out medical quality assurance licenses to traffick grannies.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ert-Kraft.html
Old 16th March 2019, 05:52 AM   #268
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by CNN
The inspector visited on November 14. When she came back, she said she met three women -- a manager and two employees -- and saw conditions that raised suspicions.

The inspector "advised it appeared as though the female employees were living there," the affidavit reads.

Inside were two rooms with beds, including sheets and pillows. Next to the beds were "dressers which housed several personal items including medicines and clothing for the females," the affidavit says.

"Inside the kitchen of the business, (the investigator) located a refrigerator filled with food and condiments, consistent with individuals living inside."...
Wait, we were told that the hooker grannies were sleeping on the massage tables. Now we are told that they had bedrooms.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/15/us/ro...ion/index.html
Old 18th March 2019, 05:36 PM   #269
Checkmite

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
What a surprise. No wonder she took pics with all of Donald's kids; they were all working the same scheme.

Now watch it emerge that she was being paid by the Chinese government while doing this.
Old 19th March 2019, 02:10 PM   #270
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Prosecutors in Florida are crazy. They are making Kraft an offer. They will drop all the charges if he says he is guilty and that he would have been found guilty if he went to trial. I never heard of that one before. It's all over the press so just pick your favorite one.

Still no trafficking charges either. They should just call the whole thing off and let all the grannies loose.
Old 19th March 2019, 03:44 PM   #271
mgidm86
Philosopher

What if a shoulder massage brings a certain person to orgasm - would it be illegal to get a shoulder massage?

I wonder what the criteria is for making a massage illegal. Is it touching of the genitals? That doesn't work for some people. How about people who like being spanked? Is it the orgasm?

Yes, I'm serious.

By the way, Kraft and all the others are being offered a deal. I guess it's standard with first time offenders. Admit your guilt, agree that a trial would have found you guilty, and do community service.

Prostitution should be legal. I'm fine with states having that control though. I think.
Old 19th March 2019, 04:29 PM   #272
Checkmite

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
What if a shoulder massage brings a certain person to orgasm - would it be illegal to get a shoulder massage?
Or worse, what if the hand movements of the person performing the shoulder massage, completely unknowingly, just so happened to match those of an arcane summoning ritual which caused a transdimensional alien to appear and forcefully masturbate the massage-customer to orgasm! Would that make the shoulder massage illegal!?!
Old 19th March 2019, 04:30 PM   #273
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Puritanism is the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.
-- H. L. Mencken

Quote:
Prostitution should be legal. I'm fine with states having that control though. I think.
I agree with that. No reason why consenting adults shouldn't be able to have consensual sex with an agreement that money will be exchanged.
Old 20th March 2019, 07:00 AM   #274
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by New York Post
...sources tell us there’s “absolutely no way” Patriots owner and accused rub-and-tug recipient Robert Kraft will take the no-plea deal that Florida prosecutors are offering in his prostitution-solicitation case.

“This is a standard first-time offender plea offer,” said Palm Beach County State Attorney’s Office spokesman Mike Edmondson.

The office extended the offer to 24 other men arrested in the case, but no one has accepted it so far, Edmondson said.

Kraft and the other accused johns would also have to submit to an STD test, take a class on the dangers of prostitution, complete 100 hours of community service and pay $10,000 in court fees.

“One-hundred percent no way he’s taking the deal,” a source told us of Kraft.

“Kraft strongly insists he didn’t do anything wrong, and he isn’t going to take a deal that indicates he did.”...
https://nypost.com/2019/03/19/absolu...stitution-case

I can't imagine him taking this deal.
Old 20th March 2019, 07:03 AM   #275
carlitos
"más divertido"

Guys who have two different-colored Bentleys don't take the "standard offer." They hold out for a special offer.
Old 20th March 2019, 07:05 AM   #276
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
https://nypost.com/2019/03/19/absolu...stitution-case

I can't imagine him taking this deal.
Yes a man of his character and standing shouldn't have to suffer the kind of degrading treatment that's only fit for a filthy commoner. That would be beneath him. He deserves better!
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 11:38 AM   #277
xjx388
Philosopher

I hope they rescind the offer and prosecute without accepting a plea.
Old 21st March 2019, 06:49 AM   #278
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
I agree with that. No reason why consenting adults shouldn't be able to have consensual sex with an agreement that money will be exchanged.
Hey, no one is talking about marriage here!

Old 21st March 2019, 10:21 AM   #279
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
I hope they rescind the offer and prosecute without accepting a plea.
Only if you want him to....ahem.... get off completely one-hundred-percent, sure
Old 21st March 2019, 01:16 PM   #280
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Only if you want him to....ahem.... get off completely one-hundred-percent, sure

If the evidence is solid, how does he get off? In a court, I mean...we already know how he gets off...

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events