ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th March 2019, 06:39 PM   #1
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Another race grifter caught reporting fake hate crime

Or so it would appear, but let's not jump to conclusions.

Ben Collins:
Quote:
Jacob Wohl reported a death threat to the Minneapolis Police Department. Small problem: he wrote the threat to himself from a fake account he created, posing as a gay Hispanic "diversity coordinator," who does not really exist.
Who is Jacob Wohl?
Jacob Wohl Allegedly Caught Making Despicable Death Threats Against...Jacob Wohl

Quote:
When we last checked in on Jacob Wohl, the longtime Trump-tweet-reply king was in the midst of ******* up a harebrained scheme to frame Robert Mueller for sexual misconduct in pretty much every way imaginable. Now, several months removed from that hilarious failure and flush with a fresh infusion of walking-around cash from God knows where, the teenage hedge-fund fraudster turned professional Islamophobe has embarked on a new and exciting grift: making poorly produced Internet pseudo-documentaries about Minnesota congresswoman Ilhan Omar. (Out of respect for your time and intelligence, dear reader, I do not include a link.)

The final product leans heavily on dramatic footage of Wohl and fellow MAGA celebrity Laura Loomer doing things like knocking on the front door of Omar's home—and then, when no one answers, reacting as if her absence constitutes irrefutable evidence of a diabolical plot to transform the Great Lakes region into a shadow sharia caliphate. The most notable thing about a sequence in which they express shock at visible signs of Somali culture inside a prominent Somali mall, honestly, is the patience everyone else in said mall extends to these leering doofuses who insist on filming strangers' shopping trips.
This guy seems like a dumber version of James O'Keefe, if such a thing is possible. Laura Loomer I seem to recall got kicked out of CPAC recently.
Old 13th March 2019, 06:56 PM   #2
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Haha what a tool. I've never heard of this guy before, but already I hate him. I hope he dies in a fire.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2019, 07:36 PM   #3
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Right because that idea worked out just great for that other guy recently...
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2019, 09:24 PM   #4
crescent
Master Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Haha what a tool. I've never heard of this guy before, but already I hate him. I hope he dies in a fire.
We discussed him and one of his attempts a few months back:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...t=wohl&page=77

He's entertaining*, and is good friends with Bill Shine (Trump's recently departed communications director), and Darla Shine, anti-vaxxer celebrity.

Despite his November circus fire, he still seems to have access to people in the White House.

*Entertaining in that he repeatedly makes a complete and utter fool of himself and others around him, while being completely sincere and unaware. He's a new Andy Kaufman, but doesn't even know it.

Last edited by crescent; 13th March 2019 at 09:28 PM.
crescent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2019, 10:14 PM   #5
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Clearly the best way for him to regain credibility would be to carry out the threat.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 12:31 AM   #6
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I have to say, when I saw the title of this thread on my RSS feed, I thought someone else might have been the OP.... I guess we all know who I thought it was.

Wasn't the Wohl guy the dickhead who tried to fake a sexual assault witness against Robert Mueller?
Old 14th March 2019, 01:13 AM   #7
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I have to say, when I saw the title of this thread on my RSS feed, I thought someone else might have been the OP.... I guess we all know who I thought it was.

Wasn't the Wohl guy the dickhead who tried to fake a sexual assault witness against Robert Mueller?
Yes, with one other gentleman I seem to recall, and failed miserably. I don't know if the other fellow was aware of all of his deceptions. Perhaps he was hoodwinked, but I didn't follow that story too closely. It's clear now that he's a serial fabulist and mountebank, and a shabby one at that.
Old 14th March 2019, 01:32 AM   #8
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Yes, with one other gentleman I seem to recall, and failed miserably. I don't know if the other fellow was aware of all of his deceptions. Perhaps he was hoodwinked, but I didn't follow that story too closely. It's clear now that he's a serial fabulist and mountebank, and a shabby one at that.
Oh yes. IIRC that gentleman in question had an unfortunate clothing malfunction during a (so called) press conference...
Old 14th March 2019, 10:05 AM   #9
The Big Dog
Suspended

Great to see the phrase "race grifter" getting the traction it deserves
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 10:09 AM   #10
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Sometimes it's funny how the shoe fits when it's on the other foot.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 10:13 AM   #11
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Clearly the best way for him to regain credibility would be to carry out the threat.
Maybe he's a split brain patient...

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 10:14 AM   #12
Belz...
Fiend God

Except that this time the grifter's on your side.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 10:20 AM   #13
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Except that this time the grifter's on your side.
I think the problem a lot of people had wasn't that it was a bad term, but that it was calling out the wrong people.

Personally I think it's a good term. It's evocative, reasonably accurate, and has a pretty good mouthfeel. I hope it gains bipartisan popularity. Call out the grift wherever you see it, my ninjas.
Old 14th March 2019, 10:43 AM   #14
fagin
Philosopher

Maybe he's a split brain patient...
Peanuts do split in half.
Old 14th March 2019, 11:13 AM   #15
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I don't like the term. I keep misreading it as 'race grafter' and then I picture Rachel Dolezal getting skin grafts so she can make her dream reality.
Old 14th March 2019, 11:19 AM   #16
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I don't like the term. I keep misreading it as 'race grafter' and then I picture Rachel Dolezal getting skin grafts so she can make her dream reality.
I read "race grafter" and I see a multicultural Frankenstein's monster.

Old 14th March 2019, 11:23 AM   #17
pharphis
Graduate Poster

TM already said that!
pharphis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 11:24 AM   #18
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

It would go on a rampage of cultural appropriation. 'Listen', the monster said to the pitchfork-and-torches mob, 'it's okay for me to wear a feathered headdress because I'm 1/116th Native American. Three of my wrist bones are from a Cherokee!'
Old 14th March 2019, 11:26 AM   #19
Belz...
Fiend God

It would go on a rampage of cultural appropriation. 'Listen', the monster said to the pitchfork-and-torches mob, 'it's okay for me to wear a feathered headdress because I'm 1/116th Native American. Three of my wrist bones are from a Cherokee!'
The villagers shout back: "Pocahontas!"

Old 14th March 2019, 11:27 AM   #20
sadhatter
Philosopher

I do think it is a good phrase, but it does cut in all directions. People are using their perceived victimhood as a weapon, I'm all about disarming them, regardless of color.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 11:30 AM   #21
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Strictly speaking I think a race grifter is someone who is really black but can pass as white. That is a very traditional form of race grifting.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 11:32 AM   #22
pharphis
Graduate Poster

Question: if someone grifts using multiple variables (sex, race, etc.) can we deem them "multi-track grifters" ?
pharphis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 11:37 AM   #23
Belz...
Fiend God

We have at least one poster here who's a grift grifter.

Old 14th March 2019, 11:40 AM   #24
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Right because that idea worked out just great for that other guy recently...
Well, this one is a white kid with a rich daddy so...
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 11:42 AM   #25
carlitos
"más divertido"

He used this hoax danger to justify traveling with a "security team" to Minny. One of his "badass team of security professionals" were photographed wearing crocs in the snow in Minneapolis in February. If I had the skills, I would fake some videos with James Bond or Jason Bourne wearing crocs in all sorts of action sequences.

Last edited by carlitos; 14th March 2019 at 11:44 AM.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 12:34 PM   #26
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

How can you not trust the word of a man who has such wonderful Trumpian experiences in hipster coffee shops?

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 01:13 PM   #27
Donal
Illuminator

You mean a guy who got a lifetime ban from trading securities at 18?
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 01:14 PM   #28
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

I have to admire Wohl, he really strives for excellence in his field. He already holds the honor of being the youngest person to receive lifetime ban from the NFA for securities fraud. Then makes news with his disastrous, half-baked attempt to take down Mueller with a bogus sexual misconduct claim via his company Surefire Intelligence, you know, the one that used stock photos of celebrities to pad out his fake organization.

Now he's filing obviously false police reports in an attempt to...? I don't know. Looking forward to him going to jail, maybe he'll get the help he obviously needs there.
Old 14th March 2019, 01:39 PM   #29
mgidm86
Philosopher

Is this kid worth knowing about? I've never heard of him. Sounds like he has mental problems and is a big conspiracy theorist. Did he do something illegal? Put him in jail. What's the big deal? Break law get arrested.
Old 14th March 2019, 01:56 PM   #30
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I have to admire Wohl, he really strives for excellence in his field. He already holds the honor of being the youngest person to receive lifetime ban from the NFA for securities fraud. Then makes news with his disastrous, half-baked attempt to take down Mueller with a bogus sexual misconduct claim via his company Surefire Intelligence, you know, the one that used stock photos of celebrities to pad out his fake organization.

Now he's filing obviously false police reports in an attempt to...? I don't know. Looking forward to him going to jail, maybe he'll get the help he obviously needs there.
I think the space for right wing grifters is really crowded for mediocre white kids with rich parents, so you really have to do something crazy to stand out. Especially now that it seems the bubble has burst and they are turning on each other. He doesn't seem capable to put on the veneer of an intellectual like Shapiro or D'Souza. He can't be a smoke screen minority. He can't be a pretty blonde girl in a sleeveless dress. I mean, he could, but I don't think his target audience would be receptive.

He has no military service. No business accomplishments (then again, that doesn't seem to mean much). Nothing special to separate him from all the other bootlicks spouting white supremacist nonsense.

Last edited by Donal; 14th March 2019 at 02:03 PM.
Old 14th March 2019, 02:24 PM   #31
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
I think the space for right wing grifters is really crowded for mediocre white kids with rich parents, so you really have to do something crazy to stand out. Especially now that it seems the bubble has burst and they are turning on each other. He doesn't seem capable to put on the veneer of an intellectual like Shapiro or D'Souza. He can't be a smoke screen minority. He can't be a pretty blonde girl in a sleeveless dress. I mean, he could, but I don't think his target audience would be receptive.

He has no military service. No business accomplishments (then again, that doesn't seem to mean much). Nothing special to separate him from all the other bootlicks spouting white supremacist nonsense.
What strikes me is how young some of these people are, and how it's not uncommon for one's politics to change as one gets a little older. I think a good many of these kids are going to be greatly embarrassed later in life. Heck, I was seriously Republican when I was 16 (I thought at the time it was because of principles, but in retrospect it was because there was a really cute guy in my class who was very Republican), and I'm embarrassed to remember I wore a stupid t-shirt to school a couple of times. Thank god there wasn't "social media" back then! These videos are going to haunt these kids for the rest of their lives.
Old 14th March 2019, 02:44 PM   #32
crescent
Master Poster

I think a good many of these kids are going to be greatly embarrassed later in life.
Not Wohl - this guy is AMAZING! Did you know he was such a child prodigy that he eclipsed Mozart?

Quote:
From there, the event rapidly descended further into farce. When Wohl was asked what investigative experience he has — bearing in mind he’s all of 20 years old — he responded that he’s done “a handful of matters like this over the years” and that his mission was strictly non-partisan. “Jacob is one of the brightest and most capable and competent people I’ve met,” added Burkman, who reportedly failed to zip the fly of his pants before appearing on camera this morning. “I think Jacob is a child prodigy who has eclipsed Mozart.”
crescent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 02:48 PM   #33
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Is this kid worth knowing about? I've never heard of him. Sounds like he has mental problems and is a big conspiracy theorist. Did he do something illegal? Put him in jail. What's the big deal? Break law get arrested.
He noteworthy enough to get funding for his various misadventures. It’s mostly conspiracy nonsense but he gets enough funding to push them hard and publicize them.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...han-omar-grift

This is the kind of stuff that leads to guys with rifles busting into pizza parlors.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 02:48 PM   #34
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Wrong thread.
Old 14th March 2019, 02:55 PM   #35
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
He noteworthy enough to get funding for his various misadventures. It’s mostly conspiracy nonsense but he gets enough funding to push them hard and publicize them.

This is the kind of stuff that leads to guys with rifles busting into pizza parlors.
Ya, for the most part, these mooks are only well known to their own echo chamber and online liberals looking for a "debate".

The problem is that first group tends to very angry and very armed.
Old 14th March 2019, 03:07 PM   #36
crescent
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
Ya, for the most part, these mooks are only well known to their own echo chamber and online liberals looking for a "debate".

The problem is that first group tends to very angry and very armed.
That echo chamber includes Bill Shine, the recently departed the White House Communications (former co-president of Fox News) director and his wife Darla (a celebrity herself who thinks that measles cures cancer). Mr. Shine will be advising Trump's 2020 run.

So long as the echo chamber includes the President's inner circle, it is not hyperbole to suggest that it is best to expose and shame Wohl's absurdity. There's more to it than looking for a debate - it is daylighting a CT monger with influence in the White House.

Last edited by crescent; 14th March 2019 at 03:20 PM.
Old 14th March 2019, 03:28 PM   #37
Venom
Graduate Poster

Jacob Wohl...

nothing else to see here.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 06:47 PM   #38
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
He used this hoax danger to justify traveling with a "security team" to Minny. One of his "badass team of security professionals" were photographed wearing crocs in the snow in Minneapolis in February. If I had the skills, I would fake some videos with James Bond or Jason Bourne wearing crocs in all sorts of action sequences.
Its one of the only things I really like about Twitter - when some BS artist like Wohl pops up with another of his fabulist made-up stories, the peanut gallery is utterly merciless....

Quote:
"Because all badass security people keep themselves and their protectees all huddled in one, easily accessible group, never look to the rear, wear inappropriate clothing, and always keep their hands in their pockets or wear gloves too big for working a firearm. A+++ badasses!"
Quote:
"✔️ The sweat pants add to the professionalism."
Quote:
"Security professionals"

Translation:

"Pissheads from the local bar"
Quote:
"Who knew you could buy tactical crocs?"
Quote:
"All of my badass security professionals wear Crocs in the snow when they forget their stilettos"
Quote:
This looks like a bar poster for a really ****** cover band.
Quote:
New on Netflix, "The Loser Academy."
Old 15th March 2019, 07:30 AM   #39
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

What strikes me is how young some of these people are, and how it's not uncommon for one's politics to change as one gets a little older. I think a good many of these kids are going to be greatly embarrassed later in life. Heck, I was seriously Republican when I was 16 (I thought at the time it was because of principles, but in retrospect it was because there was a really cute guy in my class who was very Republican), and I'm embarrassed to remember I wore a stupid t-shirt to school a couple of times. Thank god there wasn't "social media" back then! These videos are going to haunt these kids for the rest of their lives.
There's nothing like the certainty of youth. I flirted with libertarianism as a youth, because it appealed to my juvenile, un-nuanced ideological view of the world that had yet to be checked hard by reality. As I grew older, i started to see much more shades of nuance and things became much more complicated. Details can be awfully pesky annoyances.

I can see why these extreme alt-right ideologies are so appealing to young people. They paint the world is a such clear, unambiguous way which is very appealing despite being inconsistent with the complexities of reality.
Old 15th March 2019, 09:06 AM   #40
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post

It should also be noted that Wohl was a contributor for Gateway Pundit, to which the Trump administration has granted White House press credentials.

So yeah, it might be worth knowing what kind of goofball conspiracy theorists the President considers to be legitimate journalists.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events