ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 14th March 2019, 10:34 AM   #1
Aber
Graduate Poster

Physicists reverse time using quantum computer

Not sure of the significance of this:

Quote:
Researchers from the Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology teamed up with colleagues from the U.S. and Switzerland and returned the state of a quantum computer a fraction of a second into the past. They also calculated the probability that an electron in empty interstellar space will spontaneously travel back into its recent past. The study is published in Scientific Reports.
https://phys.org/news/2019-03-physic...e-quantum.html
Aber is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 10:49 AM   #2
Belz...
Fiend God

Most likely an error.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 11:07 AM   #3
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Well, they didn't actually reverse time. Is that significant?

They reversed the state of particles that theory predicts are state-reversible in this way. So they confirmed a theoretical prediction. Is that significant?

"Physicists reverse time" just seems like click-baity "I ******* love science" stuff. And you got me to click and reply. Is that significant?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 12:08 PM   #4
Armitage72
Master Poster

It reminds me of discussions of quantum teleportation.

Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 03:20 PM   #5
Robin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Aber View Post
Not sure of the significance of this:

https://phys.org/news/2019-03-physic...e-quantum.html
That is nothing, tomorrow I reversed time a whole day.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 03:27 PM   #6
Robin
Philosopher

Quote:
"The most recent paper approaches the same problem from a third angle: We have artificially created a state that evolves in a direction opposite to that of the thermodynamic arrow of time."

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2019-03-physic...antum.html#jCp
I dunno. Seems to me that you would need more than a fraction of a second to be able to tell if entropy was increasing or decreasing.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 03:39 PM   #7
Robin
Philosopher

What it sounds like to me is that you start with all the billiard balls the centre of the table and then you scatter them with a cue ball, then pull a lever that deforms the surface to create a dip in the table and all the billiard balls return to the centre of the table.

I understand this well because that is the way the kids' old snooker table works all the time these days.
Old 14th March 2019, 03:43 PM   #8
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
What it sounds like to me is that you start with all the billiard balls the centre of the table and then you scatter them with a cue ball, then pull a lever that deforms the surface to create a dip in the table and all the billiard balls return to the centre of the table.
Seems like that would be a lot easier with mercury. After all that's what the time-traveling T-1000 was made of.
Old 14th March 2019, 03:44 PM   #9
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
I dunno. Seems to me that you would need more than a fraction of a second to be able to tell if entropy was increasing or decreasing.
You should look into how much goes on in the first fraction of a second when a thermonuclear bomb is triggered. There's explosions triggering shock waves triggering neutron bursts that trigger more neutron bursts that trigger more shock waves; all precision engineered and imed down to the millisecond.

Besides, entropy happens one particle at a time, one state change at a time. All you need is one state change, to determine which way it went for that one particle.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 04:48 PM   #10
Robin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
You should look into how much goes on in the first fraction of a second when a thermonuclear bomb is triggered. There's explosions triggering shock waves triggering neutron bursts that trigger more neutron bursts that trigger more shock waves; all precision engineered and imed down to the millisecond.

Besides, entropy happens one particle at a time, one state change at a time. All you need is one state change, to determine which way it went for that one particle.
I will take your word for it.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology