ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia elections , Australia politics , Julie Bishop , Malcolm Turnbull , Peter Dutton , Scott Morrison

Old 20th October 2018, 01:38 AM   #281
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
Turnbull's revenge?
More like Turnbull's ultimatum. "Either keep me as leader or face a by-election".

His ego was consistent with the belief that in the event of a by-election, a strong independent could wrest the seat. Turnbull had no intention of being statesman like over the leadership loss.
Old 20th October 2018, 02:21 AM   #282
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
I wonder if Labour could get some legislation though parliament?
Maybe in the UK but definitely not in Australia.
Old 20th October 2018, 02:35 AM   #283
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Abbott’s sister, Christine Forster, has announced she may run for Wentworth in May. Stupid. Sharma was the best candidate the Libs could run with. Forster would be wasting her time.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2018, 02:39 AM   #284
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Maybe in the UK but definitely not in Australia.
Don’t be so sure. A carefully crafted bill may get enough independents support. It will not be a major bill though. I reckon the bulk of the independents want to get paid for another six months.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2018, 03:27 AM   #285
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Don’t be so sure. A carefully crafted bill may get enough independents support. It will not be a major bill though. I reckon the bulk of the independents want to get paid for another six months.
Aaaannnd . . . another subtle reference to the spelling of Labor goes over somebody's head.
Old 20th October 2018, 03:31 AM   #286
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Aaaannnd . . . another subtle reference to the spelling of Labor goes over somebody's head.
Yeah, got me. I normally pick stuff like that up.

You know, I think Sharma did well to keep the swing around 20%. In other circumstances I think he would have made a decent MP.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 20th October 2018, 03:43 AM   #287
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

You know, I think Sharma did well to keep the swing around 20%. In other circumstances I think he would have made a decent MP.
He might still do (assuming he contests Wentworth at the next election). This by-election was uniquely about Wentworth and the anger of the voters at having their member toppled for opportunistic reasons.

At the next election, you can be sure that national issues will return to the forefront.
Old 20th October 2018, 04:05 AM   #288
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

He might still do (assuming he contests Wentworth at the next election). This by-election was uniquely about Wentworth and the anger of the voters at having their member toppled for opportunistic reasons.

At the next election, you can be sure that national issues will return to the forefront.
I don’t think the Wentworth electorate will be so fickle to throw Phelps out after a few months. Remember the preferences will flow the same way, unless there is some glamour independent who directs preferences to the Libs, which I doubt.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 20th October 2018, 04:16 AM   #289
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I don’t think the Wentworth electorate will be so fickle to throw Phelps out after a few months. Remember the preferences will flow the same way, unless there is some glamour independent who directs preferences to the Libs, which I doubt.
I will take your word for it. I have no idea how blue rinse trendies think.
Old 20th October 2018, 01:40 PM   #290
Thor 2
Philosopher

Interesting to see where the Libs go after this debacle. I think Morrison is trying to shore up support and discourage any idea of further spills, now he is in the top job, with this statement:

Quote:
Scott Morrison has told the Liberal Party it must own the disastrous Wentworth by-election result, saying it paid "a big price" for its latest leadership coup.
Old 21st October 2018, 01:56 PM   #291
Thor 2
Philosopher

Government members are in denial now - post Wentworth.

Quote:
"It is a hit against the Government in Wentworth and Wentworth alone," said regional Queensland MP George Christensen.

"Wentworth is light years away from an electorate like mine.

"I don't think too much can be read out of this."

Desperate words perhaps?

Last edited by Thor 2; 21st October 2018 at 01:57 PM.
Thor 2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2018, 02:10 PM   #292
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Christensen might be well advised to keep his great big mouth shut about this debacle in Wentworth. His own seat is held by a way smaller margin than the LNP gave up last weekend. And it is exactly his type of attitude and behaviour that lost it for them. So should Tony Abbott, by the way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Next_A..._seat_pendulum
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2018, 03:27 PM   #293
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Christensen might be well advised to keep his great big mouth shut about this debacle in Wentworth. His own seat is held by a way smaller margin than the LNP gave up last weekend. And it is exactly his type of attitude and behaviour that lost it for them. So should Tony Abbott, by the way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Next_A..._seat_pendulum
Christensen’s probably safe. Not that many people in his electorate who give a stuff about climate. Abbott is in real trouble.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 21st October 2018, 04:14 PM   #294
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Christensen’s probably safe. Not that many people in his electorate who give a stuff about climate.
He holds it only by a few percent and it's right on the Barrier Reef which is a highly contentious situation. The big money-spinners there and local employers are tourist operations and hospitality. They are not particularly pleased with the way things have been going with their livelihood being destroyed and worse to come from George's mates. So the smallest backlash against anything George says or the people he advocates and he's in deep poop. Adani, for example.

Quote:
Abbott is in real trouble.
Good. Can't wait to see him in the dustbin of history. (I originally wrote "that ape", but that would be denigrating apes.)
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2018, 10:37 PM   #295
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

(I originally wrote "that ape", but that would be denigrating apes.)
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Do we really need to lower ourselves to the level of childish name-calling?
Old 21st October 2018, 10:39 PM   #296
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I stand by my question, regardless of who it is directed at.
Old 22nd October 2018, 01:26 PM   #297
Thor 2
Philosopher

Christensen’s probably safe. Not that many people in his electorate who give a stuff about climate. Abbott is in real trouble.

Having spent some time in Mackay this year I tend to agree with this. Coal not climate is a driving force. When they can't find the means to get a resort like South Mole Island up and running again, you have to wonder about the strength of the tourist industry.
Old 22nd October 2018, 05:41 PM   #298
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Last Dog, as usual, nails it.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...pes-and-dreams

Quote:
Scott and his murderous crew of tumescent death elves are riding the overcrowded democracy bus to Hung Parliament City. Honk Honk!
Old 22nd October 2018, 07:59 PM   #299
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Having spent some time in Mackay this year I tend to agree with this. Coal not climate is a driving force.
Sure. For now. Thing is, this makes it a one-trick pony which will pass and very quickly. And it might leave ruin in its wake. Newcastle NSW learned this lesson the hard way when BHP shut down the major employer in that city. No steel-works, no mining, no jobs...not fun. Diversification is the answer. But try telling the Queensland Nats that!

Quote:
When they can't find the means to get a resort like South Mole Island up and running again, you have to wonder about the strength of the tourist industry.
It's a tendency to still think 1970's business model when it is nearly 2020. Drinking tinnies and chucking shrimps on barbies is SO passe. There are plenty of attractive holiday offerings elsewhere in the world at good prices. So a resort just being there is no longer enough to draw the crowds.
Old 22nd October 2018, 08:09 PM   #300
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

'Go to an early election; get smashed': NSW Liberal's advice to Morrison

Quote:
A NSW MP has urged Prime Minister Scott Morrison to call an early election and get "smashed" at the polls in order to save bigger losses at the state level.

Peter Phelps' comments come after the Liberals' historic loss of Malcolm Turnbull's seat of Wentworth to independent Kerryn Phelps on the weekend. The result means the government has lost its one-seat majority, which Mr Morrison conceded was due to his predecessor's ousting in August.
Old 23rd October 2018, 02:09 PM   #301
Thor 2
Philosopher

Here is Morrison's chance to be a martyr. Fat chance he will take it up methinks.
Old 23rd October 2018, 03:49 PM   #302
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Here is Morrison's chance to be a martyr. Fat chance he will take it up methinks.
Hand-waving for Jebus, aka wishful thinking, runs up against the wall of realpolitik.
Old 23rd October 2018, 06:18 PM   #303
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Yeah, but it's pretty telling that the State Liberal Party is saying to the Federal Liberal Party that they're too much of a trainwreck and to get off the stage.
Old 23rd October 2018, 07:42 PM   #304
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Yeah, but it's pretty telling that the State Liberal Party is saying to the Federal Liberal Party that they're too much of a trainwreck and to get off the stage.
Given the state of Berejiklian's government trying to shoot itself in the foot on a weekly basis, that's REALLY saying something about Morrison's pack of neo-lib troglodytes!
Old 23rd October 2018, 07:47 PM   #305
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

A pretty dumb suggestion in the first place. I have never heard of a party winning a state election because the same party lost the federal election.
Old 23rd October 2018, 07:57 PM   #306
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

A pretty dumb suggestion in the first place. I have never heard of a party winning a state election because the same party lost the federal election.
No, it's because the state party don't want to lose the next state election by being associated with the federal party that is going out of their way to lose the next federal election.

Or in other words, Abbott is your problem, Scomo, not ours.
Old 23rd October 2018, 11:18 PM   #307
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Of course the NSW Liberal doesn't realise that even if they had called an election yesterday it would have to have been held after the Victorian state election anyway. Ignorant nutter.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 11:25 PM   #308
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

No, it's because the state party don't want to lose the next state election by being associated with the federal party that is going out of their way to lose the next federal election.

Or in other words, Abbott is your problem, Scomo, not ours.
That doesn't mean that the state party will get more votes if the federal party loses the election first.
Old 23rd October 2018, 11:38 PM   #309
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

That doesn't mean that the state party will get more votes if the federal party loses the election first.
They seem to be hoping they will.

It would seem...

FYI, I think they are both on slippery slides to the wasteland of opposition. Just who will hit the bottom of their slide first is the question.
Old 24th October 2018, 12:31 AM   #310
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Have not done any research, just going on my memory, but what seams to happen is that
1. The party in power at the Federal level changes.
2. A few years pass.
3. That party in power at the Federal level loses power in several state governments over the course of several years.
4. Go to step 1.

Anyone else notice it? Or is it just me?
Old 24th October 2018, 02:04 AM   #311
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

They seem to be hoping they will.

It would seem...
Then they are absolutely stupid.

There have been a number of occasions where state Premiers have sold out their federal colleagues - in effect saying "don't blame us for those idiots in Canberra". That's a lot different to saying "lose the federal election so that we will magically get more state votes".
Old 24th October 2018, 02:41 AM   #312
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

There have been a number of occasions where state Premiers have sold out their federal colleagues - in effect saying "don't blame us for those idiots in Canberra". That's a lot different to saying "lose the federal election so that we will magically get more state votes".
I agree with you here.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 24th October 2018, 05:38 AM   #313
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Agreed. They are both being colossally stupid. And while they continue to endorse and entertain input from the current member for Warringah and his ilk, they will continue down this slippery slide to oblivion.
Old 24th October 2018, 01:12 PM   #314
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander
<snip>

When they can't find the means to get a resort like South Mole Island up and running again, you have to wonder about the strength of the tourist industry.

It's a tendency to still think 1970's business model when it is nearly 2020. Drinking tinnies and chucking shrimps on barbies is SO passe. There are plenty of attractive holiday offerings elsewhere in the world at good prices. So a resort just being there is no longer enough to draw the crowds.

Resorts, like amusement parks, get long in the tooth and die frequently. Their use-by dates are shorter than many people imagine.

Sure there are some that survive and thrive, but they are more the exception than the rule.

From what I have read, South Mole Island was already deep in debt and struggling well before it got clobbered by a hurricane, which only made bad matters worse.

The landscape is littered with the skeletons of failed once-popular resorts. They make up a surprising percentage of the scenes captured by websites of abandoned properties.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 02:41 PM   #315
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
Of course the NSW Liberal doesn't realise that even if they had called an election yesterday it would have to have been held after the Victorian state election anyway. Ignorant nutter.

Good point! Of course thinking has never been a strong point with the Liberals, but lately they seem to have turned stupidity into an art form.
Old 24th October 2018, 04:40 PM   #316
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Ehhh. That's not quite what they're saying. They're not saying that they'll get more votes, they're saying that they won't get fewer.

X <> ~Y
Old 24th October 2018, 05:46 PM   #317
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Resorts, like amusement parks, get long in the tooth and die frequently. Their use-by dates are shorter than many people imagine.

Sure there are some that survive and thrive, but they are more the exception than the rule.

From what I have read, South Mole Island was already deep in debt and struggling well before it got clobbered by a hurricane, which only made bad matters worse.

The landscape is littered with the skeletons of failed once-popular resorts. They make up a surprising percentage of the scenes captured by websites of abandoned properties.
Yep. So you would think enterprising resort designers would bear this in mind. It costs money to walk away from such a huge investment.
Old 24th October 2018, 08:14 PM   #318
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Fraser Anning on verge of being dumped from Katter's Australian Party for views on race, non-European migration

Quote:
Senator Anning last week sought to introduce a bill for a plebiscite on non-European migration to Australia, "to give the people a say on who comes to this country".

"We've had a plebiscite on same-sex marriage. This is a far more important issue, and it's one the Australian people, I'm sure, would like to have a say in," Senator Anning told reporters last week.

He said his plebiscite would also ask whether "Muslim immigration" should be stopped.

He denied this was bigoted, saying it was not "bigoted at all to give Australians a say in who comes here".

"As we've seen in London and Paris right now, it's a war zone at times and the groups I've just mentioned, the Muslims, are predominantly ... they're the ones causing the problems," Senator Anning said.
Old 24th October 2018, 08:51 PM   #319
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Ehhh. That's not quite what they're saying. They're not saying that they'll get more votes, they're saying that they won't get fewer.

X <> ~Y
That's still saying that they think they will get more votes than they otherwise would have gotten and it is still utter stupidity.
Old 24th October 2018, 08:52 PM   #320
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

That's still saying that they think they will get more votes than they otherwise would have gotten and it is still utter stupidity.
I'm not disagreeing that it's stupid.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics