ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 25th January 2019, 05:09 PM   #1
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Measles outbreak WA/OR

It was only a matter of time, WA has a large share of the anti-vaxxers. We have vaccination rates ~90% or lower.

Someone was exposed at an airport I believe, down in Vancouver, WA and the Portland area. There are now 30 cases in that area. There are 9 more suspected cases.

One person exposed there was from King County. And guess what? He went to two high school football games while he was in his contagious window.

Many of those unvaccinated teens are going to be in classes at three area high schools in the next three weeks when if they were infected it will be before their symptoms show.

PHD News Alert.
Quote:
Locations of potential exposure to measles in King County

Before he was diagnosed with measles, the infected individual was in the following public locations. These times include the period when the person was at the location and two hours after. Measles virus can remain in the air for up to two hours after someone infectious with measles leaves the area. Anyone who was at the following locations during the times listed could have been exposed to measles:

Date Time Location

Jan. 9, 2019 7:00am-6:00pm Lease Crutcher Lewis Boeing 17-88 Construction Site 2400 Perimeter Rd, Auburn WA, 98001

Jan. 10, 2019 7:00am-6:00pm Lease Crutcher Lewis Boeing 17-88 Construction Site 2400 Perimeter Rd, Auburn WA, 98001

Jan. 10, 2019 6:30pm-10:30pm Mt Rainier High School vs Kentlake High School basketball game at Kentlake High School 21401 SE Falcon Way, Kent, WA 98042

Jan. 11, 2019 7:00am-2:00pm Lease Crutcher Lewis Boeing 17-88 Construction Site 2400 Perimeter Rd, Auburn WA, 98001

Jan. 12, 2019 6:30pm-10:30pm Kent Lake High School vs. Tahoma High School basketball game at Kentlake High School 21401 SE Falcon Way, Kent, WA 98042

Jan. 14, 2019 9:55am-12:45pm Valley Medical Center, Covington Urgent Care 27500 168th Pl SE, Covington, WA 98042

Jan. 16, 2019 10:00am-12:15pm Multicare Covington Hospital Emergency Dept. 17700 SE 272nd St, Covington, WA 98042

If you were at the locations at the times listed above and are not immune to measles, the most likely time you would become sick is between January 16 and February 6, 2019.
Re that highlighted part, it means that kids in classes could infect their class and the class that follows, probably also the lunch area and halls. And those infected will keep exposing people until possibly all of the unvaccinated kids get infected.

Re the unvaccinated kids, they will be furloughed from school until they are vaccinated but there is no guarantee they'll stay out of public places.

Anyone want to start a poll on how many total cases there are going to be before this is over? Maybe 1-2% of three high schools depending on when they send unvaccinated kids home?

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 25th January 2019 at 05:17 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2019, 07:49 PM   #2
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

I pick closer to 1/10 of a percent.
casebro is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2019, 08:46 PM   #3
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

The thing with measles is that it is very contagious, before the person knows that they have it.

I remember measles outbreaks spreading like wildfire when I was a kid.

(before the vaccine)

I also remember how sick some of my contemporaries were.

Some eventually came back to school with severely impaired vision (probably would be classed as legally blind these days).

I hope it goes well.
Old 25th January 2019, 09:04 PM   #4
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Ah, once again, congratulations need to go out to the Bastard Wakefield and his blind followers.
Old 25th January 2019, 09:19 PM   #5
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

We were leaving our critique group last meetup. One of our members was asking me about the second shingles vaccine and I was explaining why the mixup she was describing probably happened.

One of the Panera folks packing up the leftover food for the food bank butted in claiming the chickenpox vaccine was causing more shingles. I didn't have the energy to get into the weeds with her but I did tell her people like her were responsible for deaths from chickenpox.

These people are convinced natural infection is better. The ignorance, it burns.
Old 25th January 2019, 09:27 PM   #6
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
I remember measles outbreaks spreading like wildfire when I was a kid.

(before the vaccine)....
I had measles as a kid. I coughed for 3 months after. My mom took me to the doctor who wanted my mom to use iodine drops of some kind and percuss my chest while I was upside down. My mom thought the advice was crap.

Thank goodness. It would have been a pain with doubtful benefit. I did recover.

But years later as a nursing student I was assigned a young child. She was a victim of measles encephalopathy. She was in a flaccid vegetative state, not expected to ever recover. Some of us have seen the real damage first hand that these vaccine preventable infections do.
Old 25th January 2019, 09:38 PM   #7
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I had measles as a kid. I coughed for 3 months after. My mom took me to the doctor who wanted my mom to use iodine drops of some kind and percuss my chest while I was upside down. My mom thought the advice was crap.

But years later as a nursing student I was assigned a young child. She was a victim of measles encephalopathy. She was in a flaccid vegetative state, not expected to ever recover. Some of us have seen the real damage first hand that these vaccine preventable infections do.

That may point to the problem. Some of us do not have that memory. I have no memory of those days but I do have the ability to understand the science behind vaccinations. Imagine someone like me or maybe the next generation but without the pro-science outlook....they donít know the horrors of the pre-vaccine era and all they hear about is how maybe vaccines are harming people. How do we reach those people? Thatís a huge problem. Some people just donít get it until it affects them personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25th January 2019, 09:54 PM   #8
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Re the highlighted...

Perhaps because of the asthma, but perhaps because of other things, I used to really suffer with chest infections. My Doctor explained "postural drainage" to my mother, and it helped a lot.

The asthma made it really hard for me to clear any mucus from the lungs, and while the "percussion" felt a bit weird, especially when I was upside down, it really did the trick. 15 minutes of that and I'd be able to sleep through the night.

LOL. I'm now wondering if it may explain why I became a drummer. Rythmic beating with cupped hands... makes one think, eh?
Old 25th January 2019, 09:56 PM   #9
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
That may point to the problem. Some of us do not have that memory. I have no memory of those days but I do have the ability to understand the science behind vaccinations. Imagine someone like me or maybe the next generation but without the pro-science outlook....they donít know the horrors of the pre-vaccine era and all they hear about is how maybe vaccines are harming people. How do we reach those people? Thatís a huge problem. Some people just donít get it until it affects them personally.
Yes indeed, and separation from families, grand parents etc. makes this gulf worse. (Because people don't hear those stories)

I was vaccinated against polio when I was a baby.

I still know people who have "post polio syndrome" today.

Pretty soon that will be another story that no-one gets to hear.

Polio was like something out of a horror story.
Old 25th January 2019, 10:09 PM   #10
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Re the highlighted...

Perhaps because of the asthma, but perhaps because of other things, I used to really suffer with chest infections. My Doctor explained "postural drainage" to my mother, and it helped a lot.

The asthma made it really hard for me to clear any mucus from the lungs, and while the "percussion" felt a bit weird, especially when I was upside down, it really did the trick. 15 minutes of that and I'd be able to sleep through the night.

LOL. I'm now wondering if it may explain why I became a drummer. Rythmic beating with cupped hands... makes one think, eh?
Postural drainage and percussion is indeed an important medical intervention. I don't believe I had a continual cough because I couldn't clear my airway.
Old 25th January 2019, 10:12 PM   #11
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Yes indeed, and separation from families, grand parents etc. makes this gulf worse. (Because people don't hear those stories)

I was vaccinated against polio when I was a baby.

I still know people who have "post polio syndrome" today.

Pretty soon that will be another story that no-one gets to hear.

Polio was like something out of a horror story.
I remember my mother getting angry and telling us not to play in the gutter water because we could get polio. She was wrong about where kids contracted polio but that was the information she had at the time.

A couple years later I remember getting that sugar cube vaccine.

It must have been so important for mothers at that time.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 25th January 2019 at 10:13 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2019, 10:33 PM   #12
crescent
Master Poster

Join the Peace Corps! That'll make anyone believe in vaccines.

I lived in a country where they were still getting a few dozen human deaths a year from Rabies, of all things. Lot's and lot's of people with polio injuries, although it had been a few years since any active cases occurred and the vaccine rate was reaching above 95%. Many of the polio injured people only survived by begging in the streets of the larger towns, some of those beggars were still just children.

A few of the nurses I served with saw people with tetanus - they clench hard enough to chip their teeth, the back arches so strongly that the only part of the body to touch the table are the heels and head, at least as long as they body is functional enough to keep the muscles locked.

Lot's of things that are profoundly uncommon in America were still pretty common there.

One of the women I served with recently got a discussion on FB with an anti-vaxxer she knows. An anti-vaxxer is not going to win an argument with a Peace Corps nurse.
crescent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2019, 02:38 AM   #13
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Ah, once again, congratulations need to go out to the Bastard Wakefield and his blind followers.
When you think about it he has probably killed and injured more people than any civilian in recent history.

How he can live with himself is beyond me, especially as we now know it was intentional fraud and not "just" bad science.
Old 26th January 2019, 05:22 AM   #14
Mike!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
When you think about it he has probably killed and injured more people than any civilian in recent history.

How he can live with himself is beyond me, especially as we now know it was intentional fraud and not "just" bad science.
How he can still have followers is what I find even more mind boggling. The Bastard finally ADMITTED he faked his research and they still believe in him.
Old 28th January 2019, 12:50 PM   #15
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
That may point to [is one known reason for] the problem. Some of us do not have that memory. I have no memory of those days but I do have the ability to understand the science behind vaccinations. Imagine someone like me or maybe the next generation but without the pro-science outlook....they donít know the horrors of the pre-vaccine era and all they hear about is how maybe vaccines are harming people. How do we reach those people? Thatís a huge problem. Some people just donít get it until it affects them personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ftfy

The anti-vaxxer problem has long been studied by the public health and other concerned agencies. We have some developed means to deal with the problem. But you can't reach everyone, the anti-vaxxer web sites that do tremendous damage, people's suspicion Big Pharma controls the CDC, and lack of public health funding means efforts fall short.
Old 28th January 2019, 12:54 PM   #16
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

duplicate

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 28th January 2019 at 12:57 PM.
Old 28th January 2019, 03:20 PM   #17
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
I pick closer to 1/10 of a percent.
The county in Washington (I think Clark), has a school compliance rate of 77% vaccinated

https://www.oregonlive.com/business/...ion-rates.html

Quote:
But a statewide average does not necessarily help Clark County, where just 77.4 percent of all public students have completed their vaccinations.
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar

Last edited by Dancing David; 28th January 2019 at 03:25 PM.
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 06:18 PM   #18
rdwight
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
The county in Washington (I think Clark), has a school compliance rate of 77% vaccinated

https://www.oregonlive.com/business/...ion-rates.html
How do they come to that number exactly? For example, could a larger majority be fully vaccinated against measles while not having received the HPV vaccine? The phrase they use is 'completed' so I am wondering what that encompasses currently.
rdwight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 06:21 PM   #19
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

How he can still have followers is what I find even more mind boggling. The Bastard finally ADMITTED he faked his research and they still believe in him.
Really? I didn't hear that. Last I heard he was still doubling down. Do you have a link?
Old 28th January 2019, 07:55 PM   #20
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by rdwight View Post
How do they come to that number exactly? For example, could a larger majority be fully vaccinated against measles while not having received the HPV vaccine? The phrase they use is 'completed' so I am wondering what that encompasses currently.
Schools in partnership with public health have records that are easily accessed and analyzable.

The numbers are likely either parents claiming exemptions or it's just referring to lacking measles vaccine records. Some of those might be people lacking records but right now if you vaccinate any child in WA you are required to enter the data in the 'Child Profile' data base (flu vaccine excepted given it's only good for a year).

https://fortress.wa.gov/doh/cpir/iweb/main.jsp

Only providers can access the data on individuals.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 28th January 2019 at 07:56 PM.
Old 28th January 2019, 08:03 PM   #21
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Check out the latest locations someone with active measles infection went:
Quote:
Child care centers:

St. Paul Christian Daycare, 1309 Franklin St., Vancouver:
Wednesday, Jan. 16
Thursday, Jan. 17
Friday, Jan. 18
Wednesday, Jan. 23

Yelena’s Daycare, 17007 NE 23rd St., Vancouver:
Tuesday, Jan. 22
Wednesday, Jan. 23

Health care facilities:

Kaiser Orchards Medical Office, 7101 NE 137th Ave., Vancouver from 1:50 to 7:30 pm Thursday, Jan. 24.

Other locations:

Oregon Museum of Science and Industry, OMSI, 1945 SE Water Ave., Portland from 2:30 to 7 pm Saturday, Jan. 19.

New Life Mission Church, 3300 NE 172nd Place, Portland from 9:30 am to 2 pm Sunday, Jan. 20.

Trader Joes, 305 SE Chkalov Drive, Vancouver from 12:30 to 3:40 pm Monday, Jan. 21.

Dollar Tree, 305 SE Chkalov Drive, Vancouver from 1:10 to 4 pm Monday, Jan. 21.

Walmart Supercenter, 14505 NE Fourth Plain Blvd., Vancouver 1:30 to 5 pm Monday, Jan. 21.
Besides the two high school football games near Seattle, someone with the infection went to a Blazers game. And someone exposed people at the airport.

Once that herd immunity gets low enough, these things take off.
Old 28th January 2019, 08:20 PM   #22
Mike!

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Really? I didn't hear that. Last I heard he was still doubling down. Do you have a link?
No, I'm afraid not. It's been several years since I'd read it. I believe it was around the time he was exposed and his doctorate was yanked, might have even been the trigger for it in the end. From memory, he admitted he cooked the books to make the link look more robust than the actual numbers reflected by an alarming margine. He finally admitted he had only one child where there was a potential link, which is almost like saying there was none whatsoever. I had hoped that'd be the end of it all, I mean, you'd think it would have been anyway. But people have a hard time letting go of something, and especially admitting they were wrong. Better to cling tight and disregard the facts staring you in the face than admit one was mistaken in their viewpoint. It wouldn't surprise me the the Bastard Wakefield might continue to claim there's a link, but that would be all he has, an unsubstantiated unsupportable claim, still. As the father of two autistic boys, this one ticks me off to no end. The years and millions chasing his stupid rabbit down his hole, not just on his part, but others futilely trying to replicate his bogus results, could have been put towards real research, not his ******* fairy tale. And that doesn't begin to scratch the surface of the residual harm he's done, as we can see by the topic of this current thread.

ETA: A quick google brought up these,

http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/01/05...nes/index.html

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2323045/

Last edited by Mike!; 28th January 2019 at 09:14 PM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2019, 09:51 AM   #23
rdwight
Critical Thinker

Schools in partnership with public health have records that are easily accessed and analyzable.

The numbers are likely either parents claiming exemptions or it's just referring to lacking measles vaccine records. Some of those might be people lacking records but right now if you vaccinate any child in WA you are required to enter the data in the 'Child Profile' data base (flu vaccine excepted given it's only good for a year).
It's good that there is a database to pull records from for public health officials, but it seems reporting doesn't necessarily represent the situation accurately. 77.4% of students in Clark have 'completed' their vaccinations. Since this story is discussing measles, that statement really doesn't represent things well for me, especially without knowing what completed includes.

To give a more accurate picture from the article above -

Quote:
The trade-off is that children who lack required vaccinations can be barred from school, as they have been in the Evergreen School District during the measles outbreak.

More than 100 students do not have necessary vaccinations, according to district spokeswoman Gail Spolar. Of those, the vast majority have philosophical or religious exemptions.
From wikipedia -

Quote:
Evergreen School District No. 114 is a public school district in Clark County, Washington, and serves the city of Vancouver. As of May 2011, the district has an enrollment of 25,961 students.
The actual percentage of unvaccinated against measles is incredibly lower than what is portrayed if that is the case. 100 out of 26,000.
rdwight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2019, 02:51 PM   #24
crescent
Master Poster

It's good that there is a database to pull records from for public health officials, but it seems reporting doesn't necessarily represent the situation accurately. 77.4% of students in Clark have 'completed' their vaccinations. Since this story is discussing measles, that statement really doesn't represent things well for me, especially without knowing what completed includes.

From wikipedia -

The actual percentage of unvaccinated against measles is incredibly lower than what is portrayed if that is the case. 100 out of 26,000.
It does not say 100 students are unvaccinated. It says "more than" 100 students. We don't know how many more.
crescent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2019, 03:06 PM   #25
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

From wikipedia -

What a surprise, the media got something wrong.

BTW, HPV vaccine is not a school requirement. It would not be included in the 77%.

It's not that the public health is unaware or even exaggerating numbers. Reporters can't read.

Here is some more precise reporting:
Local news from last week
Quote:
According to publicly available statistics, more than 91.4 percent of all Clark County kindergartners had completed all their immunizations in the 2004-2005 school year. That number fell to 76.5 percent in the 2017-2018 school year.

For measles, the number of vaccinated Clark County kindergartners fell from 96.4 percent to 84.5 percent over that same time period. The statewide vaccination rate for measles was 90.6 percent in the 2017-2018 school year.
So 15% of kindergartners are at risk of measles in Clark county schools. That is above the threshold for sustained transmission.

Drastic measures from the same article:
Quote:
At PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center, security guards are posted at five entrances around the building to look for symptoms. They are advising children and people who are not vaccinated against measles to not visit the hospital....

ďWe take people outside of our normal triage area. We take them outside and into a room that is vented Ďnegative-pressureí, which means we take the air up and out of the emergency department rather than spreading it to patients or other staff members,Ē Hanley said.
Old 29th January 2019, 03:21 PM   #26
Planigale
Master Poster

No, I'm afraid not. It's been several years since I'd read it. I believe it was around the time he was exposed and his doctorate was yanked, might have even been the trigger for it in the end. From memory, he admitted he cooked the books to make the link look more robust than the actual numbers reflected by an alarming margine. He finally admitted he had only one child where there was a potential link, which is almost like saying there was none whatsoever. I had hoped that'd be the end of it all, I mean, you'd think it would have been anyway. But people have a hard time letting go of something, and especially admitting they were wrong. Better to cling tight and disregard the facts staring you in the face than admit one was mistaken in their viewpoint. It wouldn't surprise me the the Bastard Wakefield might continue to claim there's a link, but that would be all he has, an unsubstantiated unsupportable claim, still. As the father of two autistic boys, this one ticks me off to no end. The years and millions chasing his stupid rabbit down his hole, not just on his part, but others futilely trying to replicate his bogus results, could have been put towards real research, not his ******* fairy tale. And that doesn't begin to scratch the surface of the residual harm he's done, as we can see by the topic of this current thread.

ETA: A quick google brought up these,

http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/01/05...nes/index.html

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2323045/
He never had a doctorate. The extraordinary thing was how unqualified he was. He went to a London medical school (college) which awards an undergraduate degree in medicine MB.BS. It provided a good but not highly academic training for a medical doctor. His more academic compatriots would have done an BSc or MSc in addition. He then trained in surgery, doing a three year rotation through things like orthopaedics, emergency dept, urology and general (abdominal surgery), all very hands on clinical work and got an entry level qualification in surgery; the normal process would then to have become a registrar (fellow) in one surgical speciality and seven years later exit as a fully trained specialist. But he then went to Canada for a couple of years to do research; he did not get a PhD out of it and published little. He then somehow gets a job as a lecturer in gastroenterology. The hospital he was at had a world renowned virology laboratory but he went off on his own doing research on measles virus and bowel disease. The Professor of gastroenterology had no experience in virology or PCR techniques, so could not know whether the techniques used were appropriate, and the people who did know had nothing to do with him. If you look at the quantity of research he claims to have done in a couple of years even a well set up research team would have been doing well to have done it. I suspect much of his research existed only on paper. Had there been proper supervision and research governance in place the whole thing would never have happened. Whilst the hospital he worked in had well regarded research units he was single handed in a little silo. He had no formal training (most scientists would have been through a PhD program and post doc appts before becoming a lecturer). Like most disasters there is more than human error but a system failure.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2019, 05:34 PM   #27
Mike!

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
He never had a doctorate. The extraordinary thing was how unqualified he was. He went to a London medical school (college) which awards an undergraduate degree in medicine MB.BS. It provided a good but not highly academic training for a medical doctor. His more academic compatriots would have done an BSc or MSc in addition. He then trained in surgery, doing a three year rotation through things like orthopaedics, emergency dept, urology and general (abdominal surgery), all very hands on clinical work and got an entry level qualification in surgery; the normal process would then to have become a registrar (fellow) in one surgical speciality and seven years later exit as a fully trained specialist. But he then went to Canada for a couple of years to do research; he did not get a PhD out of it and published little. He then somehow gets a job as a lecturer in gastroenterology. The hospital he was at had a world renowned virology laboratory but he went off on his own doing research on measles virus and bowel disease. The Professor of gastroenterology had no experience in virology or PCR techniques, so could not know whether the techniques used were appropriate, and the people who did know had nothing to do with him. If you look at the quantity of research he claims to have done in a couple of years even a well set up research team would have been doing well to have done it. I suspect much of his research existed only on paper. Had there been proper supervision and research governance in place the whole thing would never have happened. Whilst the hospital he worked in had well regarded research units he was single handed in a little silo. He had no formal training (most scientists would have been through a PhD program and post doc appts before becoming a lecturer). Like most disasters there is more than human error but a system failure.
It's a pity the Bastard can't be charged with a criminal act.
Old 29th January 2019, 10:05 PM   #28
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

SSPE

Wiki: Subacute sclerosing panencephalitis

The news media interviewed local parents tonight of a child that died of SSPE from measles.
Old 31st January 2019, 06:57 AM   #29
kedo1981
Master Poster

Unhappy

How a world wide pandemic begins?
kedo1981 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 09:43 AM   #30
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Update: From the OP 30 cases a week ago, 35 in Clark County on Monday with only ONE in King's county. And he is an adult.

The high school age kids were the ones with the 94% Vax rate in 2005.

It's the 31st today, the OP's patients high risk travels were two weeks ago.

I'll stick with my "less than 1/10th %" pick.
casebro is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 01:29 PM   #31
deadrose
Illuminator

Update also, 13 possible new cases were reported yesterday, although they don't have lab results.

As an added bonus, one family traveled to Hawaii before their kids showed signs of infection. Luckily they were a known exposure, and Washington epidemiologists contacted their Hawaiian counterparts, who quarantined the family until they were past the contagious stage. So hopefully there will be no disease spread there.

See https://www.apnews.com/07da569d98f94066a594f4ba2c3100a8 for more details.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 02:57 PM   #32
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by deadrose View Post
Update also, 13 possible new cases were reported yesterday, although they don't have lab results.

As an added bonus, one family traveled to Hawaii before their kids showed signs of infection. Luckily they were a known exposure, and Washington epidemiologists contacted their Hawaiian counterparts, who quarantined the family until they were past the contagious stage. So hopefully there will be no disease spread there.

See https://www.apnews.com/07da569d98f94066a594f4ba2c3100a8 for more details.
The public health signs tell potentially contagious people to wear a mask. Even on the contagious patient end of the route of transmission (as opposed to the susceptible end of the route), surgical masks don't do any more than give people a false sense of blocking transmission. Very little shed virus is going to be stopped by the mask. At most some virus might be redirected laterally.

I can't find the public health graph yet with new onset numbers but it's clear from the numbers we have not passed the peak of the outbreak,
Old 31st January 2019, 04:03 PM   #33
deadrose
Illuminator

Yeah, the whole "virulent 4 days *before* you feel sick" combined with the extreme airborne transmissibility is what makes it so hard to contain.

It's sad when you think that 20 years ago, the US had declared it effectively extinct here, because even if someone came from overseas with a case of measles, the vaccine uptake stopped it from spreading. That was less than 40 years after the measles vaccination became available.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 05:32 PM   #34
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

A couple of good jokes here about the anti-vaxxer asking on FB how to protect her unvaccinated child.

Quote:
Bring her to the edge of the flat Earth, the air is cleaner there. ...

Have you tried thoughts and prayers ...
Old 31st January 2019, 05:38 PM   #35
deadrose
Illuminator

And as of today's Seattle Times, it's up to 43 confirmed cases.

Last edited by deadrose; 31st January 2019 at 05:40 PM. Reason: updated number
Old 31st January 2019, 06:59 PM   #36
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by deadrose View Post
And as of today's Seattle Times, it's up to 43 confirmed cases.
With another dozen cases suspected waiting for lab results.
Old 1st February 2019, 12:15 PM   #37
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

With another dozen cases suspected waiting for lab results.
It's like watching a train wreck in slow motion.
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 07:23 AM   #38
3point14
Pi

Roald Dahl on measels.

https://www.roalddahl.com/roald-dahl.../november-1962

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 03:03 PM   #39
deadrose
Illuminator

Up to 51 confirmed now.
Old 4th February 2019, 08:34 PM   #40
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

Anti-Vaxx Mom Gets Roasted for Asking How to Protect Her Kid From Measles
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology