ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 13th February 2019, 02:19 PM   #241
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
When it comes to members of an administration or campaign pleading guilty to crimes, is the current count above average for the first two years?
For democrats sure, I am not so sure about republicans. Remember it is Nixon, then Reagan then Bush who lead the pack in modern indictments and convictions. So at least corruption will not likely tarnish the Trump legacy as it didn't hurt W or Reagan.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 02:19 PM   #242
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
When it comes to members of an administration or campaign pleading guilty to crimes, is the current count above average for the first two years?
The charts here are from September but he's already passed Reagan's total time in office and heading toward Nixon and that was almost six months ago.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 02:24 PM   #243
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
That's better than the charts from 538.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-growing-fast/

What I'd like, but haven't been able to get at the raw numbers to do it myself is to have a timeline chart with so you can see how the cumulative indictments climb as the investigation continues, and how they compare to other investigations.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 02:27 PM   #244
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Doubt View Post
Present a better reason. Otherwise stop pretending you have a point.
You are committing the argument from ignorance fallacy.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 02:27 PM   #245
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
Mexican President Nieto said he condemns Trump's plan to begin construction of a wall.
"This is very, very upsetting to the Mexican people.But we'll get over it"
Peña Nieto is a corrupt scoundrel, but damn that is funny.

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
They can't just get him a Wii?
Your wii golf avatar is complete and ready to download, Mr. President.

carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 02:34 PM   #246
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Hell, why he can't just run "Links" Or "tiger Woods Golf" on his computer.
I admit, I am a huge fan of "Links".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 02:50 PM   #247
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Can't he just do some work?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 02:52 PM   #248
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Can't he just do some work?
Jesus Christ God no. That's the last thing any of us want.

Can you imagine the damage a motivated and active Trump would do?

Until we can deal with him anything that keeps him from getting bored is worth whatever he's asking.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 02:54 PM   #249
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Re: Lies and cover-ups, and how it supports the claim Trump conspired with Russia...
Quote:
Present a better reason. Otherwise stop pretending you have a point.
No, from the looks of it, they are invoking Occam's razor.

The idea of Occam's razor is (to parahprase) the simplest solution is usually the correct one.

So, what's simpler:
- That there was collusion (based on things like Emails/texts, on the analysis by intelligence agencies, the timing of information releases) and that the lies about various meetings were just a way to cover up the collusion

- That, despite Trump Jr. claiming he "loved" the idea of doing illegal stuff, despite the fact that the intelligence agencies tracked the hacking back to Russia and the timing of data releases was beneficial to the Trump campaign, that somehow the lies and cover ups were to hide something else (which of course nobody in the Trump administration has yet admitted to.)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 02:59 PM   #250
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Just in case anyone here thinks that Republican senators are starting to break with Trump....

From: https://www.vox.com/2019/2/13/182205...trump-nominees
Senate Republicans want to change the rules so they can push through more of Trump’s judicial and administrative nominees...

The rule changes involve reducing the time that a particular nominee can be discussed.

So for all the claims that "The shutdown vote shows Republicans are breaking with Trump"... no, they aren't. In fact they are trying to enable him to do more damage. Much, much more damage.
Top GOP goal from the start: finish stacking the courts, something they started back in the Karl Rove days..
Old 13th February 2019, 03:36 PM   #251
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Looks as if Donnie is going to sign the budget...at least at this minute. He has gotten sort of an OK from President Limbaugh, but President Coulter is yet to be heard from.
I expect him not to sign, at the last minute. The rush from being in control, and keeping everyone in suspense, with the ironic twist, is going to overpower any fleeting thought he might have of what the negative repercussions might be.
Old 13th February 2019, 03:43 PM   #252
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I expect him not to sign, at the last minute. The rush from being in control, and keeping everyone in suspense, with the ironic twist, is going to overpower any fleeting thought he might have of what the negative repercussions might be.
He just can't help himself, he's got to stare at the eclipse because everyone told him not to.
Old 13th February 2019, 04:06 PM   #253
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

trump Tweets

The Gallup Poll just announced that 69% of our great citizens expect their finances to improve next year, a 16 year high. Nice!

Today, it was my great honor to address the @MjrCitiesChiefs Association and @MCSheriffs Conference in Washington, D.C. We will never forget your service, and we will never, ever let you down! We love you, and we thank God for you each and every day.
"We love you, and we thank God for you each and every day."

And they accuse the left of virtue signalling.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes

Last edited by a_unique_person; 13th February 2019 at 04:18 PM.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 04:37 PM   #254
newyorkguy
Philosopher

The big lies, the small lies. Lies of all kinds. Lies 'r Us!
Quote:
Trump’s driving license, issued in May 2012, stated his height as 6ft 2in. Yet according to the report issued by the White House physician [in 2018], Trump is 6ft 3in. Guardian news article
Barack Obama is listed at 6'1".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg obama and trump.jpg (80.6 KB, 33 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 05:01 PM   #255
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
For democrats sure, I am not so sure about republicans. Remember it is Nixon, then Reagan then Bush who lead the pack in modern indictments and convictions. So at least corruption will not likely tarnish the Trump legacy as it didn't hurt W or Reagan.
The peculiar thing about Trump is that only he could be bribed and lose money on the deal. That's how crap a businessman he is.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 05:16 PM   #256
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
So? Are you unfamiliar with how plea bargains work?
So you've alleged a crime which isn't a crime.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 05:18 PM   #257
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I'm pretty sure the argument from ignorance is not: you failed to understand my argument.
Old 13th February 2019, 05:47 PM   #258
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Indeed - one of the ways that the US government pays more for drugs than it should is because it is prevented by law from negotiating bulk discounts.

True, but even if they did it would only be of benefit to those who get their drugs via the government. Vets and Medicare/Medicaid, the military, and, possibly, whoever insures other government employees.

Without a single-payer health program everyone else would still be out in the cold as far as bulk pricing for the government is concerned.
Old 13th February 2019, 05:49 PM   #259
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
<snip>

Your wii golf avatar is complete and ready to download, Mr. President.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...48bf82a4a4.png

Needs more orange.

And the hair looks way too much like a decent wig.
Old 13th February 2019, 05:49 PM   #260
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

trump Tweets

The Gallup Poll just announced that 69% of our great citizens expect their finances to improve next year, a 16 year high. Nice!

Today, it was my great honor to address the @MjrCitiesChiefs Association and @MCSheriffs Conference in Washington, D.C. We will never forget your service, and we will never, ever let you down! We love you, and we thank God for you each and every day.
Trump Or Not: 14% chance this was written by Donny.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 05:53 PM   #261
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
The big lies, the small lies. Lies of all kinds. Lies 'r Us!

Barack Obama is listed at 6'1".
Donny his his locks coiffed with industrial strength hairspray to stand up another couple of inches.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 06:12 PM   #262
Steve
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Word is he's into that...
Old 13th February 2019, 06:14 PM   #263
Steve
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Donny his his locks coiffed with industrial strength hairspray to stand up another couple of inches.
The tallest president ever!!
Old 13th February 2019, 06:18 PM   #264
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
The tallest president ever!!
Old 13th February 2019, 06:20 PM   #265
Steve
Illuminator

OK, so Obama was taller
Old 13th February 2019, 06:25 PM   #266
Doubt
Philosopher

Challenging you to put out an alternative hypothesis is not a fallacy at all. And by calling it a fallacy you reveal that you don't have one and are wasting everyone else's time again as usual.

Detroit, Mexico, Detroit, Mexico....
Repeat for all of 2017 except when on vacation.
Doubt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 06:41 PM   #267
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
OK, so Obama was taller
Pelosi has them both beaten!

Edited by Loss Leader:  Image resized for readability. Please use IMGW tags for large images. The above is set as IMGW=500.

Last edited by Loss Leader; 14th February 2019 at 05:33 AM.
Old 13th February 2019, 06:59 PM   #268
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Donald J. Trump Retweeted

The White House
@WhiteHouse
"Every American in every community and from every walk of life has a right to live in security and to live in peace. That is my highest priority as President."
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 07:00 PM   #269
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

California has been forced to cancel the massive bullet train project after having spent and wasted many billions of dollars. They owe the Federal Government three and a half billion dollars. We want that money back now. Whole project is a “green” disaster!
Old 13th February 2019, 07:07 PM   #270
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Trump Tweets

California has been forced to cancel the massive bullet train project after having spent and wasted many billions of dollars. They owe the Federal Government three and a half billion dollars. We want that money back now. Whole project is a “green” disaster!
He thinks it was a loan?
Old 13th February 2019, 07:08 PM   #271
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

The White House
@WhiteHouse
"Every American in every community and from every walk of life has a right to live in security and to live in peace. That is my highest priority as President."
Trump Or Not: 8% chance written by Donny.
Old 13th February 2019, 07:31 PM   #272
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Quote:
@dbongino - I don’t feel an ounce of empathy for all of the imbeciles who bought into the Russian collusion hoax now that it’s been entirely debunked. You were warned for over a year about this scam & you fell for it anyway. You did this to yourself.
Here's my point: Note the above, it's bad enough, but the president -- the president of the United States! -- retweeted it. Are you kidding me? Retweeted that anyone who believed there might be Trump/Russian collusion -- a suspicion fueled by events -- is an imbecile. Anyone. That the collusion investigation is based on a hoax. It's a scam. This is tens of millions of American people they're talking about. The level of disrespect from a president towards his own fellow citizens is unprecedented. Like a lot of loyal Americans who happen to be a registered Democrat, I've had to listen to the president repeatedly slam us. The other day the American president called people who question the wisdom of building the 2,000 mile border wall "radical leftists." He says over and over that the Democratic Party is in favor of an open border, allowing easy transit for illicit drugs, that Democrat's are in favor of allowing violent criminals into the US (and letting them in illegally) because we have no concern or care for the safety of our fellow citizens. We just want them to come in so they can be illegally registered as Democratic voters. This babble is barely rational, yet it's coming from the president of the United States.

The absolute contempt the president expresses towards tens of millions of Americans is without parallel in U.S. history. Respect is a two-way street. How can any of the people Trump regularly targets have any respect for him? When he shows absolute disrespect for us?

We've never had anything like this before in this country and I don't know how we're going to go on like this another two years. Every freakin night I come home and Trump is on the news with more nonsense. The guy never shuts up.

It's a total nightmare and I just hope it's over on January 20, 2021.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 07:34 PM   #273
a_unique_person

Here's my point: Note the above, it's bad enough, but the president -- the president of the United States! -- retweeted it. Are you kidding me? Retweeted that anyone who believed there might be Trump/Russian collusion -- a suspicion fueled by events -- is an imbecile. Anyone. That the collusion investigation is based on a hoax. It's a scam. This is tens of millions of American people they're talking about. The level of disrespect from a president towards his own fellow citizens is unprecedented. Like a lot of loyal Americans who happen to be a registered Democrat, I've had to listen to the president repeatedly slam us. The other day the American president called people who question the wisdom of building the 2,000 mile border wall "radical leftists." He says over and over that the Democratic Party is in favor of an open border, allowing easy transit for illicit drugs, that Democrat's are in favor of allowing violent criminals into the US (and letting them in illegally) because we have no concern or care for the safety of our fellow citizens. We just want them to come in so they can be illegally registered as Democratic voters. This babble is barely rational, yet it's coming from the president of the United States.

The absolute contempt the president expresses towards tens of millions of Americans is without parallel in U.S. history. Respect is a two-way street. How can any of the people Trump regularly targets have any respect for him? When he shows absolute disrespect for us?

We've never had anything like this before in this country and I don't know how we're going to go on like this another two years. Every freakin night I come home and Trump is on the news with more nonsense. The guy never shuts up.

It's all he good. He didn't call them deplorable.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 07:35 PM   #274
Belz...
Fiend God

Here's the thing: it won't be.

You know why? Because a sizeable portion of Americans wanted that nightmare; some even knew exactly what would happen, but voted that way anyway; some because they thought it was the right thing to do, others in order to spite you. Those people are still there, and they'll still vote come 2020 and beyond.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 07:49 PM   #275
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Again, we've never had a president who lost the popular election by 2.9 million votes. The closest was George W. Bush in 2000 (Link with totals) and Trump's losing margin was five times greater! Let's be honest, he won on a total fluke. I don't see lightning striking twice.
Old 13th February 2019, 07:53 PM   #276
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Here's the thing: it won't be.

You know why? Because a sizeable portion of Americans wanted that nightmare; some even knew exactly what would happen, but voted that way anyway; some because they thought it was the right thing to do, others in order to spite you. Those people are still there, and they'll still vote come 2020 and beyond.
Others just feel so abandoned and forgotten that they don't give a ****. If rest of America gets screwed they had it coming
Old 13th February 2019, 08:03 PM   #277
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Remember when Trump didn't leave the white house during the shutdown? Serendipitously the golf simulator at the white house was upgraded during that time at his expense.

Now he can golf and rage tweet Faux News at the same executive time.
Naaah! This model cost so much because it has the Drive Your Cart Onto the Green option.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 08:07 PM   #278
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Naaah! This model cost so much because it has the Drive Your Cart Onto the Green option.
It probably has the option to "Play The Whole Game From The Cart" so he doesn't even have to get out of it to hit the ball. He just gets a lackey to hit it for him.
Old 13th February 2019, 08:25 PM   #279
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

It probably has the option to "Play The Whole Game From The Cart" so he doesn't even have to get out of it to hit the ball. He just gets a lackey to hit it for him.

And he has only the very best lackeys.
Old 13th February 2019, 08:41 PM   #280
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
And he has only the very best lackeys.
He fires them if they are not.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics