ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th March 2019, 08:35 AM   #1
Bob001
Philosopher

FBI reveals massive college admissions fraud.

Rich parents buy their kids places in elite schools:
Quote:
The Justice Department on Tuesday charged more than 30 people — including two television stars — with being part of a long-running scheme to bribe and cheat to get their kids into big-name colleges and universities.

The alleged crimes, according to officials, involved cheating on entrance exams, as well as bribing college officials to say certain students were coming to compete on athletic teams when those students were not in fact athletes.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...?noredirect=on
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2019, 08:36 AM   #2
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Listen Yale could use an international airport.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2019, 08:47 AM   #3
Belz...
Fiend God

Is 30 people massive?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2019, 08:47 AM   #4
autumn1971
Master Poster

I knew two people in my high-school who got into Harvard. Both were middling-high students. One had an Aunt on the admission board, one was from a very wealthy family.

At least one person I knew did not get into Harvard and she was better qualified at every level; her grades, extra-curricula, her outright intelligence and her communication skills were miles ahead.

Her family was middle class.

That has always been how the “prestigious” schools work: they need one to be good enough to not fail, but rich enough to be milked.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2019, 08:53 AM   #5
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
I knew two people in my high-school who got into Harvard. Both were middling-high students. One had an Aunt on the admission board, one was from a very wealthy family.

At least one person I knew did not get into Harvard and she was better qualified at every level; her grades, extra-curricula, her outright intelligence and her communication skills were miles ahead.

Her family was middle class.

That has always been how the “prestigious” schools work: they need one to be good enough to not fail, but rich enough to be milked.
It is like Kavanaugh who got in as a legacy.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2019, 08:56 AM   #6
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Is 30 people massive?
Latest count is 50 arrests. $25 million paid to a fake charity. One ringleader pleads to racketeering. Sounds pretty big to me.

Actual complaint here:
https://int.nyt.com/data/documenthel...ull.pdf#page=1

Last edited by Bob001; 12th March 2019 at 08:57 AM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2019, 09:21 AM   #7
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Couple of pretty big names arrested, Lori Loughlin and Felicty Huffman. Anyone who watches US TV should recognize them. I wonder if any students will have their degrees vacated over this?

Last edited by lobosrul5; 12th March 2019 at 09:22 AM.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2019, 09:24 AM   #8
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Private Ivy-League colleges have always had affirmative action programs: for the wealthy and influential.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2019, 09:26 AM   #9
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Private Ivy-League colleges have always had affirmative action programs: for the wealthy and influential.
This is about actual bribes to officials, faking exam results, etc., not just legacy preference.
Old 12th March 2019, 09:32 AM   #10
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Shameless
Old 12th March 2019, 09:34 AM   #11
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
This is about actual bribes to officials, faking exam results, etc., not just legacy preference.
Which also needs to be done away with, with immediate effect for publicly funded schools. Admissions should be about getting in the best and brightest not because you come for a wealthy family. Its far more likely for wealthy kids to have a parent or grandparent who went to a good school. Why should my tax dollars help fund the education of someone due to legacy status?! Private schools, sure you do whatever you want.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2019, 09:35 AM   #12
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Which also needs to be done away with, with immediate effect for publicly funded schools. Admissions should be about getting in the best and brightest not because you come for a wealthy family. Its far more likely for wealthy kids to have a parent or grandparent who went to a good school. Why should my tax dollars help fund the education of someone due to legacy status?! Private schools, sure you do whatever you want.

This Thread is not about Legacy status though
Old 12th March 2019, 09:41 AM   #13
Cain
Straussian

Upon hearing the news, Jared Kushner reportedly tutted his tongue. Amateurs.
Old 12th March 2019, 09:43 AM   #14
carlitos
"más divertido"

Great tweet response about how random this seems:

Quote:
I wake up and....

*throws dart at board*

Aunt Becky from Full House is...

*spins wheel*

Involved in a college sports scandal!??
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2019, 10:05 AM   #15
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I want a Felicity Huffman perp walk so bad
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2019, 11:10 AM   #16
bytewizard
Graduate Poster

I read the indictment. It is sickening. The accused, if found guilty, have no shame and deserve lengthy prison terms. No "celebrities" are in the indictment linked. I assume more are to follow.
bytewizard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2019, 11:12 AM   #17
Whip
Graduate Poster

not sure how this is surprising. happens all the time by way of 'donations'
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2019, 11:18 AM   #18
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Whip View Post
The surprising thing is it happens all the time by way of straight up bribes to officials and falsification of records.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2019, 11:20 AM   #19
Faydra
sinning sybarite

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Shameless
once removed joke - I like it!
Faydra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2019, 12:18 PM   #20
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

I can only take so much schadenfreude before I burst. Good on the FBI for nailing these high class perps.

Edit: These rich families should have just done the legal thing and donated a building to get their idiot children admitted.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 12th March 2019 at 12:23 PM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2019, 01:48 PM   #21
Distracted1
Master Poster

Rich parents buy their kids places in elite schools:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...?noredirect=on
And on a related note, this:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...ter%20is%20wet
Old 12th March 2019, 02:18 PM   #22
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
Harvard favors diversity in it's admissions policies, including having a quota of under-performing students which are necessary for the rest of the students to feel superior to.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2019, 02:27 PM   #23
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Shameless
Originally Posted by Faydra View Post
Didn't get it at first, well played mr applecorped, well played.

Meh, sure, get punished for bribery and cheating aside from that, I'm not sure I care.

If they didn't get aid or scholarships and payed full freight, then at least they were subsidizing others.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2019, 02:34 PM   #24
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Whip View Post
Yes, but this blatantly puts on display how charitable foundations and such are just scams for rich people to get out of paying their taxes.

Rich people with money can get away with anything, except messing with the money of richer white people.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2019, 03:04 PM   #25
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Upon hearing the news, Jared Kushner reportedly tutted his tongue. Amateurs.
Yeah, I guess Lori Loughlin's Full House money was good enough for 500k to cheat on admissions but she couldn't afford to donate a mult-million dollar building. That's all fair and above board you see.

Last edited by lobosrul5; 12th March 2019 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12th March 2019, 03:43 PM   #26
Whip
Graduate Poster

this could open quite a can of worms with the SAT cheating. some athletes could be exposed.
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2019, 03:46 PM   #27
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

no secret that the Ivy League schools have always had a ALumni "Old Boys Network" for getting their children into the Ivy League Schools. But bribery, faking exams results, etc is going well beyond that.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2019, 03:48 PM   #28
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
Yes, but this blatantly puts on display how charitable foundations and such are just scams for rich people to get out of paying their taxes.

Rich people with money can get away with anything, except messing with the money of richer white people.
SInce when have the rich and/or powerful not been able to get away with stuff most people could not?
Even in the Soviet Union, people high up in The Party could get away with murder,get their kids into the cushy jobs etc. Seems to be part of the human condition.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 12th March 2019 at 03:49 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2019, 04:18 PM   #29
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Faydra View Post
Seconded.

My source on all things right-wing nuttery has reported that both Limbuagh and Savage have opined that this scandal is the result of the poor little rich kids not being able to attend the top universities of their choice because...wait for it...quotas reserving admittance to unqualified minorities.

No ****.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2019, 06:43 PM   #30
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

There are no victims here. Anyone who lost a spot to these people are better off not attending such a crooked institution.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2019, 07:18 PM   #31
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

I did love the detail about how two of the girls qualified for the Crew team by posing on home-gym rowing machines.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2019, 07:24 PM   #32
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Spent some time on the kid's social media. She clearly doesn't want to be there. It sucks when you pay for college and your kid doesn't try. I can't imagine if you secretly paid 500k on top of that.
Old 12th March 2019, 09:04 PM   #33
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
There are no victims here. Anyone who lost a spot to these people are better off not attending such a crooked institution.
You don't understand. It's not the institutions that were crooked, at least in this case; it's the people the parents hired to cheat on exams and falsify records to make the students look better to the colleges.
Old 12th March 2019, 10:06 PM   #34
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

The Most Bizarre Details From the College Cheating Scandal

So it wasn't just cheating on the SAT or ACT tests, it went beyond that. In some cases they went for athletic scholarships, for non-athletes (curious). This involved either photoshop or in one case at least setting up a fake water polo scene.

https://twitter.com/mollyhc/status/1105485163922948097

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/stat...90833057304576

Then there's this:
Quote:
After all that, Loughlin’s daughter apparently doesn’t even care about school in the first place.

Loughlin and her husband, Mossimo Giannulli, allegedly “agreed to pay bribes totaling $500,000 in exchange for having their two daughters designated as recruits to the USC crew team,” though neither of their two daughters participated in crew. It seems to have been sort of a waste of money, though, since one daughter, Olivia Gianulli, a beauty vlogger who goes by Olivia Jade, was criticized this summer for saying in a video that she doesn’t know “how much of school I’m gonna attend,” as Yahoo! reports.

She explained in a video that the first week of school she would be in Fiji for a shoot, and doing all this traveling for work, “but I’m gonna go in and talk to my deans and everyone, and hope that I can try and balance it all. But I do want the experience of like game days, partying. I don’t really care about school, as you guys all know.”
So after $500,000 in bribes (and now federal charges in the bargain), the ungrateful little wretch is like, "I don’t really care about school, as you guys all know" but she does want "the experience of like game days, partying". You know, the fun parts of college, just not the studying and stuff.
Old 12th March 2019, 10:40 PM   #35
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Is she living up to the stereotype of a spoiled rich brat, or just a true woman of the people because knowing stuff is elitist and sooo overrated anyways? It's hard to tell the difference these days.
Old 12th March 2019, 11:18 PM   #36
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Is she living up to the stereotype of a spoiled rich brat, or just a true woman of the people because knowing stuff is elitist and sooo overrated anyways? It's hard to tell the difference these days.
Pick your narrative but "beauty vlogger" sounds like one of those "millenial social media influencer" things, like the ones in the Fyre documentary used to market the festival.
Old 12th March 2019, 11:43 PM   #37
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
So after $500,000 in bribes (and now federal charges in the bargain), the ungrateful little wretch is like, "I don’t really care about school, as you guys all know" but she does want "the experience of like game days, partying". You know, the fun parts of college, just not the studying and stuff.
She's pretty and popular, so who cares? At the end of the day, knowing how to paint your face is far more important than knowing about the theories of Max Weber.
Old 13th March 2019, 12:07 AM   #38
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
She's pretty and popular, so who cares? At the end of the day, knowing how to paint your face is far more important than knowing about the theories of Max Weber.
That's probably true. It's less about her choices, given her natural strengths and weaknesses and more about what a shame it is that her parents took the trouble when they could have just let nature take its course and she would have found what works for her anyway.
Old 13th March 2019, 01:47 AM   #39
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
So it wasn't just cheating on the SAT or ACT tests, it went beyond that. In some cases they went for athletic scholarships, for non-athletes (curious). This involved either photoshop or in one case at least setting up a fake water polo scene.

https://twitter.com/mollyhc/status/1105485163922948097

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/stat...90833057304576
Man, this was inspired.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2019, 03:59 AM   #40
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Unearned wealth creates garbage people.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events