ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Reply
Old Yesterday, 04:52 PM   #641
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher
 
Cl1mh4224rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,686
Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
Is it an actual offence in the US to burn the national flag?

Not necessarily.

Texas v. Johnson (1989)
The Court rejected "the view that an apparently limitless variety of conduct can be labeled 'speech' whenever the person engaging in the conduct intends thereby to express an idea," but acknowledged that conduct may be "sufficiently imbued with elements of communication to fall within the scope of the First and Fourteenth Amendments." In deciding whether particular conduct possesses sufficient communicative elements to bring the First Amendment into play, the court asked whether "an intent to convey a particularized message was present, and [whether] the likelihood was great that the message would be understood by those who viewed it."

The Court found that, "Under the circumstances, Johnson's burning of the flag constituted expressive conduct, permitting him to invoke the First Amendment. ... Occurring as it did at the end of a demonstration coinciding with the Republican National Convention, the expressive, overtly political nature of the conduct was both intentional and overwhelmingly apparent." The court concluded that, while "the government generally has a freer hand in restricting expressive conduct than it has in restricting the written or spoken word," it may not "proscribe particular conduct because it has expressive elements."
United States v. Eichman (1990)
In an opinion by Justice Brennan and decided along the same 5–4 lines as in Texas v. Johnson, the Court held that the federal government, like the states, cannot prosecute a person for burning a United States flag, because to do so would be inconsistent with the First Amendment. The Government conceded that flag-burning constitutes expressive conduct and enjoys the First Amendment's full protection.

Last edited by Cl1mh4224rd; Yesterday at 04:54 PM.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:56 PM   #642
logger
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 10,405
Oh look, President Donald Trump posthumously pardoned boxer Jack Johnson.

Hes such a racist!


https://theconservativetreehouse.com...-jack-johnson/
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:13 PM   #643
quadraginta
Becoming Beth
 
quadraginta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Vale of Humility
Posts: 21,199
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
So the flag code is pointless?

You need to get one like the RN has for the White Ensign. If they see anything over than an RN Ship or Shore Establishment flying it they will take it down.

many years ago on a visit to Leith Docks (Edinburgh) our 1st Ltnt spotted a White Ensign being flown on a motor yacht. He sent a PO and four seamen across and they removed it.

Yes. What the U.S. definitely needs is more and different police.

I guess Flag Cops would be as good a place as any to start.
__________________
"It never does just what I want, but only what I tell it."
***********************************************
"A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep." - Saul Bellow
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:48 PM   #644
phiwum
Philosopher
 
phiwum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 9,763
Originally Posted by logger View Post
Oh look, President Donald Trump posthumously pardoned boxer Jack Johnson.

Hes such a racist!


https://theconservativetreehouse.com...-jack-johnson/
Um. Right. He pardons a black man, so could not be racist. Is that how it works?

Because some might think that his insistence that decent folk were at an event involving chants of "Jews will not replace us!" counts as evidence to the contrary.

That, and his company's discriminatory practices back in the seventies.

And many, many other incidents well known to us all, but never mind. He pardoned a long-dead black man, so totally not a racist. That was easy.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:03 PM   #645
logger
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 10,405
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Um. Right. He pardons a black man, so could not be racist. Is that how it works?

Because some might think that his insistence that decent folk were at an event involving chants of "Jews will not replace us!" counts as evidence to the contrary.

That, and his company's discriminatory practices back in the seventies.

And many, many other incidents well known to us all, but never mind. He pardoned a long-dead black man, so totally not a racist. That was easy.
I find it hilarious you think hes a racist, that is quite an extreme position.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:05 PM   #646
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 16,775
Originally Posted by logger View Post
I find it hilarious you think hes a racist, that is quite an extreme position.
Hardly.
__________________
A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence.
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:10 PM   #647
Minoosh
Philosopher
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,909
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Um. Right. He pardons a black man, so could not be racist. Is that how it works?
The same kind of critical thinking that produced, "It snowed, so there is no global warming."
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:21 PM   #648
phiwum
Philosopher
 
phiwum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 9,763
Originally Posted by logger View Post
I find it hilarious you think hes a racist, that is quite an extreme position.
I have not quite said that I think he's a racist.

But, yeah, there's some pretty decent evidence to that. I'm fair-minded enough to say that such evidence isn't at the level of proof (a non-racist might discriminate against black renters for reasons of profit, for instance, and it is just conceivable that he didn't understand the connections between Charlottesville and racism, or perhaps chose to ignore it not because he is racist -- heaven forfend! -- but because it was politically advantageous to do so, which would be totally dickish but not literally racist).

So, yeah, maybe not racist. Probably so, but maybe not.

But pardoning a long dead black boxer has **** all to do with anything.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:31 PM   #649
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 16,775
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
The same kind of critical thinking that produced, "It snowed, so there is no global warming."
I have a black friend.
__________________
A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence.
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:34 PM   #650
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 16,775
Originally Posted by logger View Post
Oh look, President Donald Trump posthumously pardoned boxer Jack Johnson.

Hes such a racist!


https://theconservativetreehouse.com...-jack-johnson/
It's called pandering. Pardon a man who has been dead for 70 years. That means you're not a racist?
__________________
A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence.
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:33 PM   #651
Arcade22
Illuminator
 
Arcade22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 4,469
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
President Donald Trump has praised an NFL ban on players kneeling during the national anthem, questioning whether such protesters should stay in the US.

He said: "You have to stand proudly for the national anthem or you shouldn't be playing, you shouldn't be there, maybe you shouldn't be in the country."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44232979
They should go back to Africa where they came from! *********** n-word's!
__________________
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:35 PM   #652
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF
 
Shalamar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,212
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
It's called pandering. Pardon a man who has been dead for 70 years. That means you're not a racist?
It's the far right version of 'I can't be racist, I have a black friend!'
__________________

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:37 PM   #653
phiwum
Philosopher
 
phiwum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 9,763
Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
It's the far right version of 'I can't be racist, I have a black friend!'
Come on, man, AC already did that joke! Right above the post to which you replied!
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM   #654
Minoosh
Philosopher
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,909
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
So, yeah, maybe not racist. Probably so, but maybe not.
I cut him more slack in this area than a lot of people here do, partly on the grounds that bigotry does not equal racism.

But boy does he pander to it (and other forms of bigotry and xenophobia), which is worse in a way.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM   #655
Arcade22
Illuminator
 
Arcade22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 4,469
Quote:
President Trump’s proposed budget for 2019 would result in significantly higher deficits over the next decade than the White House estimated, the Congressional Budget Office said Thursday. The difference comes partly from CBO’s belief that the tax bill signed into law last year will not create as much revenue as the White House has promised.

The administration said its budget proposal would lower the deficit by $5.2 trillion over 10 years. But the CBO said the Trump budget — which combines spending reductions on domestic programs with last year’s large tax cut package — would lower the deficit by $2.9 trillion.

In selling the tax law last year, the White House and Republicans said it would lead to broad gains in salaries and wages throughout the economy. But CBO estimated the White House’s forecasts were overly rosy. Ultimately, it said tax revenue would be $1.2 trillion lower over the next 10 years, compared with the White House’s estimates.

White House officials have routinely criticized the CBO’s methodology, accusing the budget office of refusing to factor in the type of economic forecasts that Republicans use when measuring the impact of tax cuts.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...tion-projects/

It needs a wishful thinking term in the equation, so it fully takes into account the laffer curve (also known as the economic homeopathic principle) which states that the less you tax the more monies you get. Republican science.
__________________
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:52 PM   #656
phiwum
Philosopher
 
phiwum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 9,763
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I cut him more slack in this area than a lot of people here do, partly on the grounds that bigotry does not equal racism.

But boy does he pander to it (and other forms of bigotry and xenophobia), which is worse in a way.
It's a bit odd to think it would be better if he really believed that black and brown people are inferior rather than just pretended to believe it because it's useful to do so. But I get your point. The former view is simple ignorance, terrible, hateful ignorance, but ignorance, whereas the latter is intentional self-interest at the expense of others.

But like you, I don't call this heinous behavior racism. It is no less bad and perhaps it's even worse than racism, but it's not quite racism.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:43 PM   #657
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 37,901
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I cut him more slack in this area than a lot of people here do, partly on the grounds that bigotry does not equal racism.

But boy does he pander to it (and other forms of bigotry and xenophobia), which is worse in a way.
People say this frequently and I think it's possible that you're all getting it wrong. There can be strains of inherent racism, unintentionally, in many of us. Bigotry, to me at any rate, connotes a thought-out philosophy or policy.

There's quite a difference between "I just don't trust or like people who are different from me (no matter how hard I try) because of how I was raised or .... reasons" versus "I hate blacks/browns/beiges/Jews and don't want them in my cafeteria, lunch counter, school or movie theater". The latter obviously encompasses segregationists so maybe my interpretation is from growing up in that era (in the south), but bigotry to me is far worse.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:08 PM   #658
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 16,775
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I cut him more slack in this area than a lot of people here do, partly on the grounds that bigotry does not equal racism.

But boy does he pander to it (and other forms of bigotry and xenophobia), which is worse in a way.
By his deeds and his words Trump shall be known.

How exactly are racial bigotry and racism different from one another?

Never heard there was a subtle difference.
__________________
A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence.
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:54 PM   #659
Mumbles
Philosopher
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,496
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I cut him more slack in this area than a lot of people here do, partly on the grounds that bigotry does not equal racism.

But boy does he pander to it (and other forms of bigotry and xenophobia), which is worse in a way.
And this is why I keep saying that he is, in fact, a US-style white supremacist. It's not "I felt nervous when the elevator doors opened and a black guy stepped in.", it's "I condone police violence based on skin color, am rolling back civil rights protections, support suppressing nonwhite voters,, outright insult black veterans and use racial slurs directly in front of Native American WW2 veterans, and wish to use the federal government specifically to drain wealth from black and Native American people and enrich myself and my white friends."

He is far beyond just some subconscious bigotry, and well into outright Jim Crow, George Wallace 1964 territory.

Last edited by Mumbles; Yesterday at 11:56 PM.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:17 AM   #660
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy
 
Upchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 30,493
Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
Excuse me interrupting. I'm just curious, if you don't even bother reading other peoples posts why are you here? What is the purpose of even bothering to get your point across?
To the faithful, preaching is a one-way street.
__________________
"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact." -- Sherlock Holmes.
"Its easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." -- Mark Twain, maybe.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:10 AM   #661
Minoosh
Philosopher
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,909
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
How exactly are racial bigotry and racism different from one another?
I didn't say "racial bigotry," I said "bigotry." All racism is bigotry, but not all bigotry is racism. It could also be homophobia, xenophobia etc.

Just my classification system; no one else has to accept it.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:20 AM   #662
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 19,454
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/stat...22402841088000

Quote:
RUDY tells @dsamuelsohn that today’s briefing will inform Trump’s legal defense:

“We want to see how the briefing went to today and how much we learned from it. If we learned a good deal from it, it will shorten that whole process considerably.”

Exactly what Dems feared.
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/stat...23930322644993

Quote:
Darren reports that Rudy shrugged off concerns about interference in the investigation. “I’d assume they’ll be very careful we don’t get information we shouldn’t get,” he said.

I didn’t realize there were parts of Gang of Eight briefings that were shareable.
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:21 AM   #663
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 19,454
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/sta...10461154217984

Quote:
Emmet Flood, a lawyer representing Trump in the Russia investigation, was briefly in the first DOJ meeting on the confidential FBI informant, NYT reports.
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:05 AM   #664
RolandRat
New Blood
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
To the faithful, preaching is a one-way street.
Makes one wonder if "The Faithful" are trying to convince others or themselves. I frequent the Daily Mail comments section (terrible tabloid, hilarious readership) and see exactly the same thing there.

PS - thanks for the replies regarding the flag burning. It fascinates me how two countries (US and UK) can be very similar yet so fundamentally different.

Last edited by RolandRat; Today at 05:07 AM.
RolandRat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:27 AM   #665
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty
 
NoahFence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Patriot Nation
Posts: 21,646
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
It's called pandering. Pardon a man who has been dead for 70 years. That means you're not a racist?
To people with incredibly weak minds, it is.
__________________
This space for rent.
In conservative heads!
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:35 AM   #666
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 12,697
Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...tion-projects/

It needs a wishful thinking term in the equation, so it fully takes into account the laffer curve (also known as the economic homeopathic principle) which states that the less you tax the more monies you get. Republican science.
Not what the laffer curve states. The laffer curve is also true.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:45 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.