ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Occupy movement , protest incidents , protest rallies , rape incidents

Old 25th May 2014, 04:51 PM   #41
Unabogie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Both the victims and their rapists were present at the protest before the rapes, just like all the other protesters. Both remained at the protest site in tents, just like all the other protesters. While it's a truism that any given person at the protest could possibly be there without any interest in the actual protest, if the only reason you can offer as to why we should consider the victims as "true" OWS protesters but not their rapists is that the latter committed a rape, that's a special pleading. Is there a compelling reason why someone who sympathized with the OWS movement could not be a rapist?
This is the very essence of guilt by association, which is why the Breitbart crowd glommed onto this meme in the first place. If a policeman goes off the deep end and kills his family, does this implicate all policemen or expose some deeper, hidden pathology on the part of law enforcement? It may, if for instance, the police force (as in your initial accusation) actively covered up for the killer. Or if a university campus had a rapist in their student body, and he attacked some women. Would this be an indictment of all students or the university? If the university refused to tell the police, then yes.

But the OWS people told the police and encouraged women to report any crimes against them. They actively attempted to thwart crimes against the campers and did everything they could to stop it.

What you're doing here is taking the victims of a crime and conflating them with the perpetrators, as if they hold some sort of responsibility for the crimes against themselves. You would be well within your rights to complain that OWS lacked a coherent message, or that they left a mess behind which makes them hypocrites on the environment, or that they were just stupid people who were wrong about policy. But they are not responsible or implicated in "rapes" unless they aided, abetted, or covered for any rapists, which you've provided no evidence for. This makes the women, and by extension, OWS organizers victims of a violent crime, and nothing more.

And I say this as someone who didn't really agree with the OWS movement or their strategy.

"Palin must now be considered the future of the Republican Party." ~ Brainster
Unabogie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2014, 05:14 PM   #42
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Unabogie View Post
But they are not responsible or implicated in "rapes" unless they aided, abetted, or covered for any rapists, which you've provided no evidence for.
I haven't provided any evidence because I haven't made that argument and don't believe that it's true. Somebody mentioned that there were rapes at OWS protests and someone else appeared to express skepticism of that fact. I merely wanted to set the record straight. Of course nobody is responsible for the actual rapes besides the rapists.

The fact that one's political opponents might use an uncomfortable fact against one's "side" is not a valid excuse for creatively reinterpreting facts in a self-serving manner. Usually the effort is pretty transparent, as in the case of OWS supporters straining everything to insist that people at OWS gatherings who committed crimes weren't "real" protesters. Like an antelope favoring an injured leg, it just telegraphs the easy attack spot for lurking predators. It's much better to acknowledge the problem and explain how it was addressed or would be addressed in the future.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2014, 06:06 PM   #43
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by thrombus29 View Post
I just hope they don't get to Phase IV where the hyper intelligent ants take over the world.
I was just simulating that.
Old 25th May 2014, 11:40 PM   #44
ravdin
Illuminator

Looks like there's a new logical fallacy to add to the official list: argumentum ad Breitbartium.

Believe what you're told. There would be chaos if everyone thought for themselves. -Top Dog slogan
ravdin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2014, 12:44 AM   #45
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post

Something tells me that while some RT participants may agree with OAS the leadership of RT, that has for years been a voice for POW's, will not take kindly to a handful of disorganized racists trying to co-opt their annual event.
Given that in past years RT leaders have met with Obama in the White House, I am going to agree with you.
Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
I've seen Cub Scout camps that were better attended and that got more media attention) and he thinks that it's time for phase 2?
I am of the opinion that a bright Cub Scout troop with no adult supervision could put together a more organized and prepared gathering.
Old 26th May 2014, 11:57 AM   #46
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

What is RT?
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2014, 01:57 PM   #47
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
What is RT?
A non-partisan, grass-roots lobbying group organized to bring attention to MIA/POW issues,

http://www.rollingthunder1.com/

Last edited by Ladewig; 26th May 2014 at 01:58 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2014, 06:57 PM   #48
corplinx
JREF Kid

I saw some video of their "rally" and it looked like some of those ham planets were only able to attend because the government helped buy their Rascal scooter.
Old 28th May 2014, 06:58 PM   #49
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by corplinx View Post
I saw some video of their "rally" and it looked like some of those ham planets were only able to attend because the government helped buy their Rascal scooter.
Whoa! Where have you been?!
Old 28th May 2014, 07:04 PM   #50
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Welcome back, amigo, great to see you again!
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2014, 07:29 PM   #51
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Originally Posted by Redtail View Post
... Do they ever say what phase II is?
They never really said what Phase I was, but somehow - magically - this will all undoubtedly result in the ouster of President Obama and a return to "good ol' American values"
Old 28th May 2014, 07:35 PM   #52
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Originally Posted by thrombus29 View Post
I just hope they don't get to Phase IV where the hyper intelligent ants take over the world.
I, for one, welcome our insect overlords.

[/Kent Brockman]
Old 28th May 2014, 07:43 PM   #53
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Originally Posted by corplinx View Post
He's back!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics