ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old Today, 02:00 PM   #81
Thor 2
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I would venture that many did, intellectually, but cling to the tradition from a sense of community and family

Oh yes I can see this as often being the case. It is something of a common joke that one cannot get out of being a Catholic - the Worlds stickiest religion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdolFXcNAH4

Being an atheist is no impediment to continued life as a Catholic.
Old Today, 02:01 PM   #82
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Really? "I was raised with only normal/rational beliefs."

"My beliefs are normal rational, you other people have unnormal irrational beliefs."

I was raised to use logic.
Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
You know, I was going to reply that none of the above really addressed the core question of the OP:

But upon reflection, I think that taken as a whole, it actually does.

Thanks.
Colored and embiggegened for you edification
Old Today, 02:40 PM   #83
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Yeah, you'll note I quoted it as a part of your overall answer.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:46 PM   #84
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, you'll note I quoted it as a part of your overall answer.
Yeah, I thought it was totally weird you missed it
Old Today, 03:01 PM   #85
Thor 2
Illuminator

Brings me back to my childhood days and playground arguments. He who shouted it out loudest and most often sort of won the argument. Now what was it we were saying about growing up?
Old Today, 03:22 PM   #86
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Catholic. Was an altar boy, went to catholic schools with priests and nuns among my relatives. Lasted until I was about 12.

All of my children were raised without religion.
This is me almost exactly, except I clung to the last vestiges of my faith until I was about 19ish. Altar boy, readings, usher . . . Other than Santa and Catholicism, I was raised to be a pretty independent thinker. Encouraged to read alot, ask questions and form my own conclusions. Mom was the Catholic; Dad was nominally Baptist but had no interest in anything but lip service to religious ideas -he was much more practical and down-to-earth about such things.
Old Today, 03:30 PM   #87
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

I think my wife would understand if the kids didn't get married in the church, but her parents would be less understanding.

If I hadn't had a Jewish wedding, I'm fairly certain my parents would have ripped their garments and covered the mirrors.

Strangely, my sister was married in a small, secular ceremony at my parents' house. It was done in order to help secure her husband's visa status. Several months later, she had a huge Jewish wedding which everybody (including all my grandparents who'd been to the real wedding) just pretended was real.

ETA: Technically, it was real in that it was a real, religious ceremony. Before that, she wasn't officially married as far as Jewish authority goes. However, since there is no central jewish authority, there's nobody to keep track of any of it so it doesn't actually matter.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy