IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags film , bigfoot , patterson gimlin

Closed Thread
Old 28th August 2007, 12:10 PM   #7281
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

The clearer and more detailed still should be used. That'd be the bottom one.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th August 2007, 12:15 PM   #7282
Luminous
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
WP, I think we'll have to help Luminous out with his own argument here.

I think the "heel" of what Luminous sees as a footprint is mostly cut off in the still you posted.

I think the "toe" and the "midtarsal break" bulge are visible.

IOW, if you could pan southeast a little in your still, the whole "footprint" would be visible in the corner.

Not that it's a footprint mind you.

Not that you don't realize this already, either.
There wouldn't be much of a heel if this was a climb up a small mound.

Here's a still from the National Geographic version:
Attached Images
File Type: gif Km Print.gif (43.8 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Luminous; 28th August 2007 at 12:18 PM.
Luminous is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th August 2007, 12:20 PM   #7283
Luminous
Critical Thinker

I'll try to post this again. This is the National Geographic version.

Also the link is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu86A...elated&search=
Attached Images
File Type: gif Km Print.gif (43.8 KB, 3 views)
Luminous is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th August 2007, 12:20 PM   #7284
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

http://www.bigfootencounters.com/ima..._animation.htm

Best shot for your argument is here, Luminous. IMO, of course.

Your still is worse than mine, imo.

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th August 2007, 12:22 PM   #7285
Luminous
Critical Thinker

Sorry, it's not posting for some reason. I must be doing this wrong. I'll try again once I figure this out.
Old 28th August 2007, 12:24 PM   #7286
Luminous
Critical Thinker

Can you see my posts LTC? I can't for some reason.
Old 28th August 2007, 12:24 PM   #7287
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
There wouldn't be much of a heel if this was a climb up a small mound.
We've been through this before, though. MK Davis:

Quote:
It is here that the camera picks up a barefoot track, complete with mid tarsal pressure ridge that is sunk deeply into the sand.
No mention of a mound and only toes. A complete track including MTB ridge. That has always been the claim.

Old 28th August 2007, 12:26 PM   #7288
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I can see your still when I click on it. It's very poor quality and only shows part of the object in question, imo.

Old 28th August 2007, 12:28 PM   #7289
Luminous
Critical Thinker

Yeah, but it shows more clearly that it's in dirt.
Old 28th August 2007, 12:29 PM   #7290
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Davis is claiming that Patterson backed up quite a bit so that his own boot prints are visible out in front of him.

Yet another version of events...

Old 28th August 2007, 12:30 PM   #7291
Luminous
Critical Thinker

By the way LTC, what is the source of your image, and has it been filtered in any way?
Old 28th August 2007, 12:31 PM   #7292
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think anyone is arguing that it's not in dirt, Luminous.

Old 28th August 2007, 12:35 PM   #7293
Luminous
Critical Thinker

The film lines up with the claim. Stills show possible boot prints, Roger's thumb and one definite boot print.

Check out the gifs I made here: http://www.mid-americabigfoot.com/ph...=1975&start=30 At the bottom of the page...
Old 28th August 2007, 12:39 PM   #7294
Luminous
Critical Thinker

Yeah, someone was implying it was a stick.
Old 28th August 2007, 12:39 PM   #7295
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
By the way LTC, what is the source of your image, and has it been filtered in any way?
MK Davis, and I'm certain it's enhanced to help the appearance of a track.

No image, still or clip, of the PGF currently available is an original, as far as I know.

Old 28th August 2007, 12:43 PM   #7296
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole

If this is not a big piece of dead wood slightly elevated in certain places then why is there a shadow cast by just to the left of what's being claimed as a bigfoot print?

It reminds me of the two closely spaced trees bit (58 feet apart).

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th August 2007, 12:44 PM   #7297
Luminous
Critical Thinker

Even in that animated version it appears that there is an incline of sorts. There also appears to be a possible mid-foot pressure ridge.

Again, is your version digitally filtered in any way?
Old 28th August 2007, 12:45 PM   #7298
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Why didn't Roger shoot stills of the tracks, Luminous?

He had still cameras with him.

Old 28th August 2007, 12:48 PM   #7299
Luminous
Critical Thinker

Why didn't Roger shoot stills of the tracks, Luminous?

He had still cameras with him.
Maybe he did. There are shots of him casting tracks. Also a row of tracks was shot.
Old 28th August 2007, 12:49 PM   #7300
kitakaze

Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
The film lines up with the claim. Stills show possible boot prints, Roger's thumb and one definite boot print.

Check out the gifs I made here: http://www.mid-americabigfoot.com/ph...=1975&start=30 At the bottom of the page...
Just checked your link. Sure looks like dead wood.

kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th August 2007, 12:51 PM   #7301
Luminous
Critical Thinker

Who did the enhancements, you?
Old 28th August 2007, 12:55 PM   #7302
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Sorry, but I couldn't type anymore when I read your hilarious claim that Patterson's thumb was in the shot.

Old 28th August 2007, 12:56 PM   #7303
Luminous
Critical Thinker

Beside the possible track, yes. But the "track" appears to be in the soil. Also, the stick is probably only one of thousands that Patty had to navigate through. It was not all sand. I have pictures of the exact site as it is now (Yes, I know it has changed in 40 years, but the area is still a "mine-field" of sticks, rocks, logs and debris.)
Old 28th August 2007, 12:57 PM   #7304
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Who did the enhancements, you?
What are you talking about? And to whom?

Old 28th August 2007, 12:57 PM   #7305
Luminous
Critical Thinker

His thumb is in a shot right after the footprint. Check out my link and you'll see for yourself. It's there.
Old 28th August 2007, 12:59 PM   #7306
Luminous
Critical Thinker

I'm talking about you LTC. Did you enhance that shot?

Last edited by Luminous; 28th August 2007 at 01:02 PM.
Old 28th August 2007, 12:59 PM   #7307
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

What is causing that shadow, Luminous?

Old 28th August 2007, 01:00 PM   #7308
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
I'm talking about you LTC. Do you enhance that shot?
Already answered.

Why would I want it to look more like a footprint?

Old 28th August 2007, 01:03 PM   #7309
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
His thumb is in a shot right after the footprint. Check out my link and you'll see for yourself. It's there.
Patterson must be good if he opened up the lens just as his hand blocked the light for his shot. He must have 3 hands.

Old 28th August 2007, 01:10 PM   #7310
Luminous
Critical Thinker

Patterson must be good if he opened up the lens just as his hand blocked the light for his shot. He must have 3 hands.
I'm not sure why his thumb ended up in the shot. Maybe that's why that little piece of film was cropped out of one copy in the first place. Maybe Roger later thought it was not professional looking. Or maybe someone else is the culprit. All I know is that a whole piece of film was cut out of one of the copies. Why? It's anyone's guess.
Old 28th August 2007, 01:17 PM   #7311
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I think it's a curved tree trunk, myself.

There is a film defect in there too.

No thumb, though.

Old 28th August 2007, 01:20 PM   #7312
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

It almost looks like a tear was spliced, come to think of it.

Don't really see how a thumb could get in the shot.

Old 28th August 2007, 01:23 PM   #7313
Luminous
Critical Thinker

What is causing that shadow, Luminous?

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...47e7f4be93.jpg
It's possible that the "print" was made when the soil was damp and that it might have dried out and "caked" together and was lifted by the heat of the sun. It could also be that it lifted as the other half of the track had collapsed into what appears to be a possible incline behind it. Lots of possible causes, but we'll never know for sure because we weren't there.
Old 28th August 2007, 01:25 PM   #7314
Luminous
Critical Thinker

It almost looks like a tear was spliced, come to think of it.

Don't really see how a thumb could get in the shot.
Thought the same thing until I saw it for myself. It's there. No doubt about it. How and why are the questions.
Old 28th August 2007, 01:25 PM   #7315
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I'm going to say that my third still above most likely shows a tear in the film that was poorly spliced.

Old 28th August 2007, 01:27 PM   #7316
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
It's there. No doubt about it.
In your opinion, you mean. Right?

There certainly is doubt about it and it's the height of arrogance to claim there isn't.

Although I actually find it amusing, myself.

Old 28th August 2007, 01:28 PM   #7317
kitakaze

I'm not sure why his thumb ended up in the shot. Maybe that's why that little piece of film was cropped out of one copy in the first place. Maybe Roger later thought it was not professional looking. Or maybe someone else is the culprit. All I know is that a whole piece of film was cut out of one of the copies. Why? It's anyone's guess.
I'm taken aback. I'm gob-smacked, dumb-founded, flabber-gasted, blown away. I'd like to say that I've never seen pareidolia so far gone before but sadly, no. Forget the obvious piece of dead wood, the thumb claim is spectacular. Nevermind asking why his thumb would be in the shot, I wanna know why it's transparent.

Old 28th August 2007, 01:29 PM   #7318
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
It's possible that the "print" was made when the soil was damp and that it might have dried out and "caked" together and was lifted by the heat of the sun.
So Roger filmed that "track" well after he fimed Patty strolling by then?

Was this before or after the 3.5 mile jaunt after Patty?

Where are these still camera shots? Who wouldn't take a few good shots with a much better camera they had with them?

Old 28th August 2007, 01:31 PM   #7319
mangler
Critical Thinker

I guess LTC8K6 beat me to this. It's a log or a very big branch. BTW Lum, virtually every clip and/or photo you have ever seen in regards to this has been run through a filter mask of some sort, high pass, color, sharpening . . . optical printer and/or digital.

This is one of those posts when I have question why I even bother.

m

mangler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th August 2007, 01:32 PM   #7320
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Eh. I'm still thinking repairs to a torn film.

Nevermind. Mangler's much clearer shots kill that idea.

It's just wood, imo.

It even has a shadow, so it cannot possibly be Roger's thumb, imo.

Last edited by LTC8K6; 28th August 2007 at 01:36 PM.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal