IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Closed Thread
Old 23rd September 2008, 11:13 AM   #1
doctoratlantis
Thinker

Walk Replication

I expect this may have been covered somewhere in the past 400 pages - but didn't see the segment posted anywhere on the YouTube.

So - here's a clip from the Discovery Channel's series "Best Evidence" which includes Jeff Meldrum and a team trying to replicate Patty's walk.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

What surprises me is that the video clearly shows Jeff seeing the walk, the other two scientists and Meldrum saying the gait can be replicated, and then Meldrum goes on to say that this doesn't impact his position that the PG film depicts an authentic creature.

At the minimum, this documentary presents evidence that falsifies the notion that "the walk can't be replicated." It's a good documentary from which I've culled out these clips.
doctoratlantis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2008, 11:34 AM   #2
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
So - here's a clip from the Discovery Channel's series "Best Evidence"
Yep. Also notice at approximately one minute, how the front of the fake feet flip upwards, like Patty's...

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2008, 04:52 PM   #3
LAL
Illuminator

Originally Posted by doctoratlantis View Post
What surprises me is that the video clearly shows Jeff seeing the walk, the other two scientists and Meldrum saying the gait can be replicated, and then Meldrum goes on to say that this doesn't impact his position that the PG film depicts an authentic creature.

It could be replicated within the parameters of that experiment. Did you note the part where the actor tried it in a high end suit?

In this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt0s3...eature=related

the athlete couldn't do it.

Next time you watch Ancient Mysteries: Bigfoot, see if you can spot the errors. I'll help.

https://librarylu.wordpress.com/
LAL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2008, 06:21 PM   #4
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LAL View Post
It could be replicated within the parameters of that experiment. Did you note the part where the actor tried it in a high end suit?

In this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt0s3...eature=related

the athlete couldn't do it.

Next time you watch Ancient Mysteries: Bigfoot, see if you can spot the errors. I'll help.
You know how stupid that is right? I mean, you have one actor who couldn't do it, one actor who could, and you say it is impossible?

Or is your point the suit? How about I pull a footer and argue that the suit they used wasn't exactly like the one used in the PGF, and that invalidates completely the entire test?

The sad thing is that I almost mentioned the MonsterQuest guy because he sucked at the walk. Guess I should have.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2008, 08:02 PM   #5
RayG
Master Poster

It could be replicated within the parameters of that experiment.
Yes, the actor in the squatch suit was able to replicate the gait. These are the conclusions of the experimenters:

Quote:
Meldrum: "Could a man in a suit present himself in a convincing way approximating the movements we see in the Patterson Gimlin film?"

The team comes to a conclusion on the mysterious bigfoot gait.

Meldrum: "We know that his gait as best we could see approximated that of the sasquatch."

Rose: "My conclusion would be yes it would be possible and feasible for a human to replicate that gait."

Gamble: "It's possible to replicate that way of walking."

Meldrum: "Frankly I was somewhat surprised that our subject was so, umm, easily capable of replicating some aspects of the walk of the sasquatch ah depicted on the Patterson film."

Begun: "I'm not convinced that there is a distinctive gait that's present there that couldn't result from umm frankly wearing some sort of very uncomfortable very bulky suit."
Originally Posted by LAL
Did you note the part where the actor tried it in a high end suit?

The athlete couldn't do it.
I didn't actually see him walking or wearing a bigfoot suit, did he do either?

I've read (somewhere other than on the Internet) Harry Truman was buried under 200' of mud and ash.
Is that a certainty? They never recovered his body.

RayG
RayG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal