IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags film , bigfoot , patterson gimlin

Closed Thread
Old 16th August 2007, 05:34 AM   #7001
Mad Hom
Loose Cannon

Originally Posted by Correa Neto View Post

In sum...

WB, Mad Hom, but nothing has changed when it comes to evidence. You would have had some fun with some bigfoot trolls that were around for a while...
Gracias Correa...I just can't keep away from this thread and am looking forward to the 10,000th post party...Wooo Hooo!!

As for the Bigfeetsus trolls...dammit I miss all the fun...I had such a blast with Fuddster (not that he was a troll mind you) that when he was banned I lost interest...but I am back and I hope the trolls return... Cuz I love me some troll bashing.
Mad Hom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2007, 05:41 AM   #7002
Mad Hom
Loose Cannon

Originally Posted by kitakaze View Post
No, no, no, Madness. Your sly Freeman reference is all wrong. We should be saying 'he's lucky he didn't get shot' and we should keep saying that until someone asks us why no bigfeet have been shot. Then we should do a total 180 and talk about stunned hunters or insufficient calibre or you know, whatever sounds good.
Yes exactly..whatever sounds good.

That seems to be the mission statement of the Bigfoot Nation...doesn't it?
Mad Hom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2007, 05:52 AM   #7003
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

So what I want to know next is how many of those campers were convinced at the time that they'd seen a bigfoot? And will some remain convinced even after the kid was arrested?

No joke, I really think it would be interesting to know.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2007, 05:59 AM   #7004
Correa Neto
Philosopher

Santard (presumed by me) reaction of some bigfoot investigators:
"You can't dismiss all the sightings because of a single hoaxer"
"He was caught, wasn't he? This proves there are real bigfeet out there! Hoaxers are always caught!"
"Despite of this, we still have compelling evidence, such as the PGF, Skookum cast, the many footprint casts, thousands of sighting reports. More than enough to convince reasonable persons."
Racism, sexism, ignorance, homophobia, intolerance, extremism, authoritarianism, environmental disasters, politically correct crap, violence at sport stadiums, slavery, poverty, wars, people who disagree with me:
Together we can find the cure
Oh, and together we can find a cure to religion too…
Correa Neto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2007, 06:04 AM   #7005
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole

I love it! It's like an automatic reflex or something.

First post on the story at cryptomundo:

Quote:
Darla KnD responds:
August 16th, 2007 at 8:26 am
Why do people keep doing that? Don’t they realize that there are some that WOULD SHOOT them? Just insane!
Quick, Darla! Run! We must get to the 'no bigfoot hunter kills' thread as fast as we can!

You can type "What hunter would shoot at a human-shaped form? Just insane!"

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2007, 06:17 AM   #7006
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
I love it! It's like an automatic reflex or something.

First post on the story at cryptomundo:

Quick, Darla! Run! We must get to the 'no bigfoot hunter kills' thread as fast as we can!

You can type "What hunter would shoot at a human-shaped form? Just insane!"
Well, to be fair, if this were north central Arkansas around the opening of gun season for deer, well, you would stand a high chance of getting shot. Of course, this is true even if you're wearing hunter's orange with a neon weather baloon floating just over your head flashing lights that spell out "Don't shoot, I'm human".

But other than that, yeah...I don't think we have a case of a bigfoot hoaxer, bigfoot, ape, monkey, or other animal of a similar nature being shot by accident anywhere in the U.S., do we?
Old 16th August 2007, 06:19 AM   #7007
kitakaze

Originally Posted by Correa Neto View Post
Dammit Kitakaze is faster than me at typing!
Second time, first was for nearly a year, this time, some minutes.
I'm getting closer at a stunning rate!
My little secret:

kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2007, 06:41 AM   #7008
kitakaze

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
So what I want to know next is how many of those campers were convinced at the time that they'd seen a bigfoot? And will some remain convinced even after the kid was arrested?

No joke, I really think it would be interesting to know.
Not quite what you were asking for but quite interesting, nonetheless.

The 1977 Canadian Bus Driver Hoax.

Now let's wait for a proponent to show up and talk about something to do with thousands of reports and statistics and whatnot.

Old 16th August 2007, 06:45 AM   #7009
Melissa
Thinker

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Do you have the same evidence for those claims as you have for bigfoot?

I hope you have some better evidence...I'd hate to think you are a liar.
I have never made claims - I dont pretend to know it all. You would hate to think I was a liar - as opposed to a regular on this board that posts flat out lies - in an attempt to attack someone personally? So, if I called myself a skeptic, you would have a discussion with me that did not borderline on insulting? Thats absolutely the way it seems.

If your not willing to call someone out like that - dont talk to me about honesty and integrity. Whether it was his intent or not, it was out of line and ment to attack me personally. If you can point to one quote where I said ANY of those things that make me sound like I am a believer in all things bigfoot - I will post an apology, until then - you are doing nothing more than defending a liar, and a trouble maker, and in that regard, I could care less what you think.

I have respect for many on this board - but it appears the only people who get called out are the ones who disagree or offer discussion to the contrary of your own opinion. How sad is that? William Parcher made a direct attempt to put out commentary as if I said it - and yet you have no words for him. You instead tell me I should prove to you I am not a liar. I dont have to prove anything to anyone. Read all the things I have typed in the past, on this very board and others - then if you still want to call me a liar - so be it, I stopped caring.

Insults are a sure sign you have nothing to offer the conversation. Keep hurling insults while protecting your own - it only goes to show just how the discussion here is less about the actual research and more about the desire to call people names and insult. I hope that was not the intention of those who created this website. Discussions and debate should be free of personal insults and stick directly to the issue. But, if you want to hurl insults my way, I will be more than happy to lob them back.

I will always respond to personal attacks when I hear about them. Dont like it - to bad.

Last edited by Melissa; 16th August 2007 at 07:04 AM.
Melissa is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2007, 07:01 AM   #7010
kitakaze

Yes, Madness, you missed some spectacular lemming charges.
Originally Posted by Mad Hom View Post
Yes exactly..whatever sounds good.

That seems to be the mission statement of the Bigfoot Nation...doesn't it?
Alternative mission statements for the cult of bigfootery:

'It could happen.'

'We have better hats than those UFO guys.'

'Prove us wrong.'

'Because the goat sucker guys were getting weird.'

Old 16th August 2007, 07:33 AM   #7011
kitakaze

Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
I have never made claims - I dont pretend to know it all. You would hate to think I was a liar - as opposed to a regular on this board that posts flat out lies - in an attempt to attack someone personally? So, if I called myself a skeptic, you would have a discussion with me that did not borderline on insulting? Thats absolutely the way it seems.
I assume you're referring to this post? I've read it over a couple of times and given it some thought and I agree, William's attempt at satire was overly personal and unnecessary.

I'm guessing it was an over-reaction to some of the sweeping generalizations you made in this earlier post but I could be wrong.

Incidentally, my computer's audio has gone mysteriously silent and I haven't been able to listen to the show for a couple weeks. I was very interested in hearing squatchcommando's interview. What kind of skeptical questions did you have for him?

Old 16th August 2007, 07:54 AM   #7012
kitakaze

Keep hurling insults while protecting your own - it only goes to show just how the discussion here is less about the actual research and more about the desire to call people names and insult. I hope that was not the intention of those who created this website.
Hold the phone, I missed that. I disagree with that statement. You got raised eyebrows and criticism from two people who are very informed on the PGF and because of your level of involvement with bigfootery expected you to be also.

The conversations here are about the PGF, the bigfoot phenomenom, bigfootery, it's various claims of evidence, and the various characters who perpetuate the myth. Please don't make such unfair generalizations when someone gets your back up. Are Correa or RayG here out of the desire to be insulting?

Now, as for actual research, let's talk about your actual research if you'd like. Any reliable evidence? Have you seen this giant bipedal primate eluding us in the forests? If not, any thoughts on why not?

Old 16th August 2007, 08:03 AM   #7013
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I sometimes get bored and will use extreme satire and sarcasm to pass the time. Hurting anyone is never my goal. I poke fun at Bigfootery because it's there for the poking.
Old 16th August 2007, 08:20 AM   #7014
Melissa
Thinker

Originally Posted by Kitakazee
Incidentally, my computer's audio has gone mysteriously silent and I haven't been able to listen to the show for a couple weeks. I was very interested in hearing squatchcommando's interview. What kind of skeptical questions did you have for him?
I signed on this morning, wondering if this would be asked. Kitakazee, could you either listen to the program yourself by fixing your system - or give those of us who knew Dan a few days before you started in on what we did or did not ask of him?

As for all the rest of your "I strongly disagree" - who cares, William Parcher didnt say those things about you - so, how you feel really doesnt matter to me and again, I could care less. When I start putting words in your mouth - then I will accept your righteous indignation. At this moment in my life, I really dont care and frankly you dont even rate on the list of people I am even thinking of right now.

Either stand up for what is right - or just stay seated. Either way, I really dont care.

Originally Posted by William Parcher
I sometimes get bored and will use extreme satire and sarcasm to pass the time. Hurting anyone is never my goal. I poke fun at Bigfootery because it's there for the poking.
Thats no excuse for your behavior. Either you can hold a discussion like an adult, or you can not - guess which one I am thinking right now? I like talking to skeptics, I take their advice and criticism very seriously - I apply those things to my research. You are not a skeptic, your someone who is taking advantage of a message board to do what you do best - attack people for fun. There is a name for that.

And you whined about SweatyYeti and LAL - wow, you have nerve.
Melissa is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2007, 08:30 AM   #7015
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Some people have been moaning about my term "Pattycakes". It simply refers to someone who believes the PGF shows a real Bigfoot. Knights mused that the term connotates a childish game. This wasn't my thinking and instead I imagined a pancake. LOL. Nobody is being forced to use the term. The obvious alternative is something like "PGF Believer".

"Suitnik" seems to work as a term to describe anyone who thinks the PGF subject is somebody in a suit or costume. I'll give you guys two new terms you can use for the special sub-category of Suitniks who believe that Bob Heironimus was inside the suit that is shown in the PGF. Around here, I might be the only one. You can call me a "Bobsucker" (suckered into thinking BH is Patty), or if you want to be less bawdy you can use "Bobster".

I also thought of "Heironimo" (think Geronimo), but it's just too stupid. Okay now "Heironopotamus". It sucks too...
Old 16th August 2007, 08:34 AM   #7016
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

And you whined about SweatyYeti and LAL - wow, you have nerve.

Toot toot.
Old 16th August 2007, 08:44 AM   #7017
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Melissa, all you have to do is show that your claims about WP are true, and I'll be right there with you.

Do you seriously think sceptics are the only ones who use terms like "pattycakes" to refer to the "other" side"?

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2007, 08:50 AM   #7018
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
as opposed to a regular on this board that posts flat out lies - in an attempt to attack someone personally?
Let's start right there, Melissa.

I presume you mean WP. If not, please correct me.

What flat out lie did he post and who was he attempting to attack?

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2007, 08:59 AM   #7019
Melissa
Thinker

LTC I dont need to prove anything - unless you cant read english?
Old 16th August 2007, 09:05 AM   #7020
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I don't think I lied about anything. I can certainly make mistakes however, but that is not really a lie.

Your Honor, I don't understand the charges.
Old 16th August 2007, 09:18 AM   #7021
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Okay then, I made a fair offer to discuss it. Can't say I didn't try.

Old 16th August 2007, 09:20 AM   #7022
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/cat-not-fox/

Mystery big cat DNA sample is actually common red fox DNA sample...

Old 16th August 2007, 09:22 AM   #7023
kitakaze

I signed on this morning, wondering if this would be asked. Kitakazee, could you either listen to the program yourself by fixing your system - or give those of us who knew Dan a few days before you started in on what we did or did not ask of him?

As for all the rest of your "I strongly disagree" - who cares, William Parcher didnt say those things about you - so, how you feel really doesnt matter to me and again, I could care less. When I start putting words in your mouth - then I will accept your righteous indignation. At this moment in my life, I really dont care and frankly you dont even rate on the list of people I am even thinking of right now.

Either stand up for what is right - or just stay seated. Either way, I really dont care.
I'm sorry but that looks like a total side-step to me and more drama from you. You need to learn to stop reading emotion and conflict that aren't there. I agreed with you that WP's post was overboard, no comment. You made incorrect sweeping generalizations and I pointed them out, no comment. I invited you to discuss this actual research you mention, no comment. I asked you about what skeptical questions you asked squatchcommando, your back's up and I don't even understand what your trying to say with the second option there. Stand up for what's right? Sheesh, get over yourself already. Spare the sermon and maybe try engaging the issues.

Old 16th August 2007, 09:31 AM   #7024
kitakaze

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/cat-not-fox/

Mystery big cat DNA sample is actually common red fox DNA sample...

Time to dig up the thread.

Old 16th August 2007, 10:06 AM   #7025
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

After the DNA evidence came in, the guy suddenly remembers that the mountain lion was eating a fox by the rock...

Old 16th August 2007, 10:25 AM   #7026
Mad Hom
Loose Cannon

I'm sorry but that looks like a total side-step to me and more drama from you. You need to learn to stop reading emotion and conflict that aren't there. I agreed with you that WP's post was overboard, no comment. You made incorrect sweeping generalizations and I pointed them out, no comment. I invited you to discuss this actual research you mention, no comment. I asked you about what skeptical questions you asked squatchcommando, your back's up and I don't even understand what your trying to say with the second option there. Stand up for what's right? Sheesh, get over yourself already. Spare the sermon and maybe try engaging the issues.
Precisely.

All this..."Waaaaaahh....Teacher....William is being mean to me again" crap is pointless and not germaine to the discussion. Melissa if you can't take a little sarcsasm and the occasional mean word......than you madame....are in the wrong sandbox ok.

Now like Kit said..

Spare the sermon and engage some issues already would ya??
Old 16th August 2007, 10:34 AM   #7027
Melissa
Thinker

LMAO. Kitakazee your lecturing me about being a drama queen - thats priceless, and about the best laugh I have had all day.

Mad Hom, just as soon as you do. I havent seen a decent statement flow from your fingers in quite a few pages that isnt dripping with distaine.

If you dont want to defend your nasty comments - then I would suggest you not make them. I suggest you grow up and take your own advice.
Old 16th August 2007, 10:45 AM   #7028
Correa Neto
Philosopher

Could the real bigfoot raise its hands please?

Now, this is Patty, claimed by some to be a real bigfoot:

OK, but descriptions from eyewitnesses reports quite often indicate more muscular creatures, such as this one...

Or even somemething quite close to Marvel's Sasquatch character...

Both are very different from Patty, that looks more like William Roes's sketch of his alleged 1955 encounter...

All the above are, by their turn, quite different from Gigantopithecus, a proposed candidate for bigfeet...

Even if standing upright (a position they probably adopted just sometimes) would not look very like Patty or the other bigfoot "variety"...

And I will not even bother adding to this post Ostman's descriptions or those bigfeet that look like werewolves...
Racism, sexism, ignorance, homophobia, intolerance, extremism, authoritarianism, environmental disasters, politically correct crap, violence at sport stadiums, slavery, poverty, wars, people who disagree with me:

Last edited by Correa Neto; 16th August 2007 at 10:49 AM.
Correa Neto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2007, 10:47 AM   #7029
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

LMAO. Kitakazee your lecturing me about being a drama queen - ...
Whoa ! Who mentioned drama queen, besides yourself ?

Been tagged before , huh ?

How's the search for Bigfoot coming ?
Old 16th August 2007, 10:53 AM   #7030
Melissa
Thinker

Good questions Correa Neto - I have often wondered about the differences in the physical description as well. Could it be a regional difference? Could it be genetic? I have no clue. Maybe its even a witness over stating specific portions of the physical description. I would imagine though if this animal is out there - females would most likely be smaller than males and have a slighly different build.

But, I am not even close to being an expert on these things. You bring up good questions though.
Old 16th August 2007, 10:55 AM   #7031
kitakaze

LMAO. Kitakazee your lecturing me about being a drama queen - thats priceless, and about the best laugh I have had all day.
hahahaha... You're laughing with me, right? Let's see... 1, 2, 3, 4. That's four no comments? HEY, what that over there!?

You're getting a little Sweaty on you.

Old 16th August 2007, 11:01 AM   #7032
kitakaze

Good questions Correa Neto - I have often wondered about the differences in the physical description as well. Could it be a regional difference? Could it be genetic? I have no clue. Maybe its even a witness over stating specific portions of the physical description. I would imagine though if this animal is out there - females would most likely be smaller than males and have a slighly different build.

But, I am not even close to being an expert on these things. You bring up good questions though.
Glowing eyes, 14 ft or 7, white ones, talking ones, it's very interesting.

So why the staggering lack of female bigfoot reports?

Old 16th August 2007, 11:07 AM   #7033
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
So why the staggering lack of female bigfoot reports?
Patty gets around?

Old 16th August 2007, 11:36 AM   #7034
Correa Neto
Philosopher

Well, I am not talking about the supposed lack of female bigfeet in sighting reports. I am merely asking why the descriptions do not match!

I have my own (skeptical) suppositions...

I am interested in pro-bigfoot suppositions. Melissa already presented her views, combining sexual dimorphism, subspecies and (if I got it rigt) eyewitnesses' bias. I am interested in knowing if "pro" folks would consider this inconsistency as an indication that Patty is not a bigfoot.

I have a number of reasonings that I think present problems to the regional morphological variations supposition, involving the 50/500 rule among other things.
Old 16th August 2007, 11:55 AM   #7035
Correa Neto
Philosopher

If I were a bigfoot proponent I would have a supposition about the supposed lack of females in bigfoot reports.

Humans are the only apes whose females have permanently swollen breasts (ain't evolution wonderfull?); if bigfeet are not from the Homo genus, only lactant or in the estrus bigfoot females would have swollen breasts.

This supposition could, however, potentially render PGF as a hoax and the (few) reports of female bigfoot with human-looking breasts as unreliable. But even during (most of) my "cryptist" days I never gave PGF much credit, so for me it was not much of an issue.
Old 16th August 2007, 12:11 PM   #7036
Crowlogic
Graduate Poster

So there I was roughly 15 miles north of Lake Placid NY 1981 doing my environmental research when a Black Bear decided to have a peek around my camp early one morning. I reached for mt 22 cal. semi automatic rifle loaded with long rifle cartridges and poked my head out from my tent. I drew a bead on the beast and crossed my fingers that it wasn't going to decide that my tent was worth looking into. I had 9 rounds in the clip and I had a hard time reassuring myself that this weapon would deter that bear if it came to that. If I came upon something as big and massive as a Girzzly or the hypothetical Sasquatch if it was less than a 30.06 I wouldn't pull the trigger unless my life depended on it.
Crowlogic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2007, 12:11 PM   #7037
kitakaze

Proponent lurkers take note- Meldrum says there are barely any female reports because only lone males will take the risk of encountering humans. Isn't it great how that works out? Nice and tidy.

Last edited by kitakaze; 16th August 2007 at 12:14 PM.
Old 16th August 2007, 01:04 PM   #7038
kitakaze

Originally Posted by Crowlogic View Post
So there I was roughly 15 miles north of Lake Placid NY 1981 doing my environmental research when a Black Bear decided to have a peek around my camp early one morning. I reached for mt 22 cal. semi automatic rifle loaded with long rifle cartridges and poked my head out from my tent. I drew a bead on the beast and crossed my fingers that it wasn't going to decide that my tent was worth looking into. I had 9 rounds in the clip and I had a hard time reassuring myself that this weapon would deter that bear if it came to that. If I came upon something as big and massive as a Girzzly or the hypothetical Sasquatch if it was less than a 30.06 I wouldn't pull the trigger unless my life depended on it.
Is this supposed to be some kind of excuse for no bigfoot kills? Sounds like you weren't prepared, weren't informed, and you didn't know how to properly handle the situation you were in. If you saw a black bear, why didn't you just start yelling at it and making a racket?

And BTW, environmental research? Exactly what kind of environmental research were you doing?
Crowlogic, considering the above comment on Starthinker's avatar maybe you can provide us with an explanation of how belief in bigfoot is based on better quality evidence than UFO's and alien visitation.
Didn't like that one, huh?

Old 16th August 2007, 01:11 PM   #7039
Correa Neto
Philosopher

Well, when someone says "It makes no sense P&G making a female gorilla bigfoot costume", I just ask "Why?" and remind him/her of Roe's sighting.

I also remind the person that several renderings of female "apemen" were available back in the 60s. Not to mention that a dangling male genitalia probably would not be something you would like to show in your movie back then...
Old 16th August 2007, 01:21 PM   #7040
Correa Neto
Philosopher

Hey, K, I'm not sure I would volunteer to
Originally Posted by http://www.bear.org/Black/Articles/How_Dangerous_are_Black_Bears.html
walk and sleep with them day or night without a worry, even with mothers and cubs
I would most likely do the tortoise move...
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal