IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags film , bigfoot , patterson gimlin

Closed Thread
Old 16th August 2007, 01:32 PM   #7041
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

One in the chamber would give you 10. You might have made him mad, I suppose. It's hard to be a good shot in that situation, too.

Best bet was probably to fire a round in the air to try to scare it first.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2007, 01:50 PM   #7042
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole

Originally Posted by Correa Neto View Post
Hey, K, I'm not sure I would volunteer to
I would most likely do the tortoise move...
Geez, I guess I should read my links more carefully. Nevertheless:

Quote:
What to do if you run across a Bear
Even if you have no food out whatsoever, you may still encounter a black bear wandering during its daily travels. Upon spotting a human, the naturally curious black bear will either a) run away, or b) stop and observe the human.

If you want to completely avoid black bears, talk continuously or make loud, unnatural noise (i.e. Bear Bells). This will scare off most black bears.

If a black bear DOES come uncomfortably close, or if it starts approaching you, back away SLOWLY, always watching the bear. Speak in a LOUD, DEEP voice (It doesn't matter what you say. I use "GO AWAY BEAR" as it also serves to inform others around me of my situation).

What to do if you have a Black Bear in Camp
If you can stand being scared a bit, and you have taken good precautions to hang anything that smells out of their reach (and keep a clean tent and site) just let them be. They'll probably wander off in a bit. If not, you can try to scare them off by making a loud, deep noise, or bang a shoe against a pot. That'll probably scare them off. If the bear tries to rip through your tent (it does have sharp claws), back towards the door and leave (or go through a wall if you must), talking to it LOUD and DEEP (try "THERE IS A BEAR IN MY TENT. I AM NOW LEAVING" or whatever else comes to mind). You should be trying to inform any public around of your situation. DO NOT turn your back to the bear. Try to make yourself as TALL as possible. If it attacks (***VERY UNLIKELY***) be the aggressor. Fight back vigorously.

But remember: you are in black bear country. The black bear is completely entitled to wander wherever it wants to, and if that includes your site then so be it. The black bear did NOT come to your site to try to attack you, it is just naturally curious. It smelt something different, maybe your food, and just wanted to find out what it was. The black bear does NOT want to fight.

Don't Run
DO NOT RUN AWAY FROM A BLACK BEAR. THEY CAN RUN FASTER THAN YOU.

Do Not Play Dead With a Black Bear
(Editor's note: Black bears eat carrion (dead things)). It is curious, and will rip you open just to see "what's inside"!

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2007, 02:06 PM   #7043
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Go Away Bigfoot!

There Is A Sasquatch In My Tent!
I Am Now Leaving!

Don't Anyone Bring A Camera Or Follow It!

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2007, 02:22 PM   #7044
kitakaze

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Go Away Bigfoot!

There Is A Sasquatch In My Tent!
I Am Now Leaving!

Don't Anyone Bring A Camera Or Follow It!

Oh Sweet Zombie Jesus... That is like 'all your base' quality material.

kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2007, 02:44 PM   #7045
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Crowlogic View Post
So there I was roughly 15 miles north of Lake Placid NY 1981 doing my environmental research when a Black Bear decided to have a peek around my camp early one morning. I reached for mt 22 cal. semi automatic rifle loaded with long rifle cartridges and poked my head out from my tent. I drew a bead on the beast and crossed my fingers that it wasn't going to decide that my tent was worth looking into. I had 9 rounds in the clip and I had a hard time reassuring myself that this weapon would deter that bear if it came to that. If I came upon something as big and massive as a Girzzly or the hypothetical Sasquatch if it was less than a 30.06 I wouldn't pull the trigger unless my life depended on it.
What do do think about the incessant clamor about someone in a hairy suit being in danger of being shot ?
Old 16th August 2007, 02:48 PM   #7046
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

With regard to " Why the breasts on Patty ? "..

So people would say " Why would a hoaxer do that ? "
Old 16th August 2007, 03:05 PM   #7047
Melissa
Thinker

If I were a bigfoot proponent I would have a supposition about the supposed lack of females in bigfoot reports.

Humans are the only apes whose females have permanently swollen breasts (ain't evolution wonderfull?); if bigfeet are not from the Homo genus, only lactant or in the estrus bigfoot females would have swollen breasts.

This supposition could, however, potentially render PGF as a hoax and the (few) reports of female bigfoot with human-looking breasts as unreliable. But even during (most of) my "cryptist" days I never gave PGF much credit, so for me it was not much of an issue.
Honest answer is simply I really dont know. But, I would have to say the majority of reports I have read, the witness states they really dont know what sex the animal is. Some say they do know, some say they "think" it was a male based on body mass and size.

I suppose if it were me, and it was dark outside - and I was confronted with an animal like this, I would be reluctant to "lift the skirt" of this animal to check the sex. LMAO. I would however buy the person who did a beer
Melissa is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2007, 03:18 PM   #7048
Melissa
Thinker

Originally Posted by kitakaze View Post
Proponent lurkers take note- Meldrum says there are barely any female reports because only lone males will take the risk of encountering humans. Isn't it great how that works out? Nice and tidy.
Source please, and the exact quote. I have heard Dr. Meldrum say something similar - but not the way your saying it.

If your going to quote someone (or put words in their mouth), you should have a reference.
Melissa is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2007, 03:51 PM   #7049
kitakaze

Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
Source please, and the exact quote. I have heard Dr. Meldrum say something similar - but not the way your saying it.

If your going to quote someone (or put words in their mouth), you should have a reference.
Well, I guess if the point of the discussion here was the desire to call people names and insult them then I might feign getting my pants in a knot and and have some kind of fit about you not being co-operative with my question about squatchcommando's interview. I'd also make some noise questioning if you've actually read Meldrum's book whom you interviewed and proceeding to mock you for it.

Since it is not the type of place you imply you will still get the co-operation that you yourself don't seem willing to engage in.

Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science, p. 213 (top paragraph):

Quote:
"... , but there are also very few reports of females, infants, or juveniles, which must exist. This brings into question one of the most obvious assumptions, that sasquatch are solitary animals. Less than 10 percent of reports involve more than one creature, but if females and their young are very rarely seen it remains possible that family groups exist, while normally only lone males take a chance of encountering humans."
This is actually Meldrum quoting Green but in the context and point Meldrum is representing it as the position he supports.

Old 16th August 2007, 04:07 PM   #7050
tube
Muse

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post

I also thought of "Heironimo" (think Geronimo), but it's just too stupid. Okay now "Heironopotamus". It sucks too...
Though we must transpose the "i" and "e", I should like to propose the term "Hierophant".

Because if you can't find Bigfoot at least you can engage in obtuse circumlocution interspersed with the occasional otiose neologism.

Next I'm going to play "qat"...

(Bigfoot) evidence doesn't look better on deeper analysis, it looks worse. David Daegling

The Bigfoot hypothesis is tested daily.
tube is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2007, 05:28 PM   #7051
Melissa
Thinker

Well, I guess if the point of the discussion here was the desire to call people names and insult them then I might feign getting my pants in a knot and and have some kind of fit about you not being co-operative with my question about squatchcommando's interview. I'd also make some noise questioning if you've actually read Meldrum's book whom you interviewed and proceeding to mock you for it.

Since it is not the type of place you imply you will still get the co-operation that you yourself don't seem willing to engage in.

Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science, p. 213 (top paragraph):

This is actually Meldrum quoting Green but in the context and point Meldrum is representing it as the position he supports.
Thats right, so they are not Dr. Meldrums words, he is quoting someone else. Thank you for correcting yourself.

Up until now, you haven't offered anything worth "engaging". I am done responding to your "look at me, look at me" posts.
Old 16th August 2007, 08:50 PM   #7052
Mad Hom
Loose Cannon

Well, when someone says "It makes no sense P&G making a female gorilla bigfoot costume", I just ask "Why?" and remind him/her of Roe's sighting.

I also remind the person that several renderings of female "apemen" were available back in the 60s. Not to mention that a dangling male genitalia probably would not be something you would like to show in your movie back then...
Not to mention ....dangling Male genitalia?

Yeah.....probably much more difficult to fake.
Mad Hom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2007, 08:57 PM   #7053
Mad Hom
Loose Cannon

Thats right, so they are not Dr. Meldrums words, he is quoting someone else. Thank you for correcting yourself.

Up until now, you haven't offered anything worth "engaging". I am done responding to your "look at me, look at me" posts.
IMO...you're done responding to Kit's posts mostly because he's been tearing you a new one for at least the last several pages....meanwhile you keep saying things like...."I heard Meldrum say it differently"..."those are his words not mine"..."Waaaaaahh...William pulled my hair"

In sum...you have nothing.
Mad Hom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2007, 01:22 AM   #7054
kitakaze

This shouldn't be difficult but apparently it is. So why is he quoting someone else? Melissa, look at the book, check the context that Meldrum presents the quote. He's quoting Green as his position is the one Meldrum is putting forward as the one he finds credible and wants us to consider.

Is he quoting Green because he doesn't want to directly comment on the matter? Maybe but it's not important because he finds Green's handling of the problem to be compelling enough to put forward. If you have read Meldrum's book you can see that when he quote's someone he doesn't agree with, he makes the effort to detail why.

Tell you what, though. He wasn't quoting anyone when he said that the MDF depicts a dark figure with "apparent breasts".
Quote:
'Look at me, look at me'?

Lady, put down the Danielle Steel novel and slowly back away from it. Let's look at what you're saying isn't worth engaging.

1. I agreed with you on the matter concerning WP's post. No comment except an earlier one that seemed to imply the opposite. Not worth engaging? It's not much of a big deal so sure, forget about it.

2. You made incorrect sweeping generalizations about the people posting here and the nature and intent of the discussions here. I pointed that out and asked you not to do it including two examples of people who are regular posters whom you wouldn't include in those generalizations. Not worth engaging? What's the problem? Can't be bothered to be responsible for things you type without giving it proper consideration?

3. You commented on actual research and were invited to discuss your own actual research, not for the first time. Again, no comment. Seems like you don't want to discuss your search for bigfoot here. Why not? Not worth engaging?

4. I asked you a simple, straightforward question concerning any skeptical questions you asked in your 'Let's Talk Bigfoot' interview with Squatchcommando.

...Scratch that, Melissa. I just went to your board and realized what you were talking about when I asked before. I was not aware of the fact that he had passed away which I hope was apparent. My apologies and condolences.

Old 17th August 2007, 04:24 AM   #7055
Correa Neto
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mad Hom View Post
Not to mention ....dangling Male genitalia?

Yeah.....probably much more difficult to fake.
Uhm...
I though about this also... Never wrote a letter about it because I would need to check if the idea is plausible. This would require at least some googling for... For... Hrm... *cough* D!ldos *cough* available back in the 60s... I would also have to write a post (pics included) about my findings. So, I decided just to let this whole issue aside.

Unless we decide to make a "Brokefoot Mountain" thread. Two (or three) cowboys alone in the woods...
Racism, sexism, ignorance, homophobia, intolerance, extremism, authoritarianism, environmental disasters, politically correct crap, violence at sport stadiums, slavery, poverty, wars, people who disagree with me:
Together we can find the cure
Oh, and together we can find a cure to religion too…
Correa Neto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2007, 05:15 AM   #7056
Correa Neto
Philosopher

Honest answer is simply I really dont know. But, I would have to say the majority of reports I have read, the witness states they really dont know what sex the animal is. Some say they do know, some say they "think" it was a male based on body mass and size.
Well, assuming bigfeet are real and not part of the Homo genus, the standard "encounter" witness probably would not be able to separate male from female. How many persons would be able to tell a male from a female gorilla or chimp after an "encounter" that lasted a few seconds? Also if the animal was partially covered by bushes...

But I digress, since my opinion is that breasted bigfoot females (as well as males with dangling weenies) are at least a bit implausible if one does not supposes these creatures (if they exist) are not from the Homo genus. Note that saying "its an unknown creature" is an argument from ignorance and will not be of much help. This is an example of the types of problems I've seen in the evidences, reasonings and methods presented and used by proponents.

I suppose if it were me, and it was dark outside - and I was confronted with an animal like this, I would be reluctant to "lift the skirt" of this animal to check the sex. LMAO. I would however buy the person who did a beer
Beer? A single beer as a reward for lifiting a bigfoot's skirt?
Racism, sexism, ignorance, homophobia, intolerance, extremism, authoritarianism, environmental disasters, politically correct crap, violence at sport stadiums, slavery, poverty, wars, people who disagree with me:
Correa Neto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2007, 05:26 AM   #7057
Correa Neto
Philosopher

An example of the issues regarding bigfeet's looks...

Check the renderings at http://www.kentuckybigfoot.com/pictures.htm Make sure to scroll down the page.
Could the real bigfeet please raise its hands?

See the problem?
Why should one consider the "Patty-like" renderings closer to the "real animal" than the others?
What are the criteria used to draw the line?

From my point of view, the alleged consistency in the descriptions obtained from eyewitnesses reports and PGF is not real; its created by a biased selection of reports. Unless "hairy and bipedal" is considered as a good enough match... But please, anyone feel free to demonstrate I'm wrong.

Or there are lots of species of humanoid cryptids roaming around in North America?
Old 17th August 2007, 05:50 AM   #7058
Correa Neto
Philosopher

Proponent lurkers take note- Meldrum says there are barely any female reports because only lone males will take the risk of encountering humans. Isn't it great how that works out? Nice and tidy.
I read something like this too, usually coped with the sparse and nomadic population arguments (please don't ask for a source; I'm typing from memory and feeling too lazy for link-digging).

But again, here we have another problem. Its the (much contested) 50/500 rule. 50 specimens would be needed for a short-term viable population and 500 (or 5000, depending on the source) for a long-term viable population. Note that this is for a population, its about a group living at a certain place.

How would you obtain this if bigfeet are scattered across North America? One can check Mangani´s sighting maps (http://penn.freeservers.com/bigfootmaps/ nope, still feeling lazy, this link was saved) to see the distribution. We've left with two options:

-Highly nomadic groups or individuals, travelling hundreds or perhaps even thousands of kilometers. On doing this, the individuals will not be restricted to distant highly forested unpopulated sites. And the odds of finding a mate would be?
-Several pockets of populations scattered around North America. Even if a given sighting cluster is created by a small (25-50 specimens) bigfoot populations, the total of specimens most likely will not be small and by no means restricted to "unreachable rough distant wilderness".

Whatever option you choose, well, its happening right under your noses and not a single piece of reliable evidence was obtained so far. I don't think I can digest this...

Yeah, you guessed it right, its being a slow day at work here...

Last edited by Correa Neto; 17th August 2007 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Typoz and claering sum stuff
Old 17th August 2007, 05:53 AM   #7059
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo...buchanan-obit/

My condolences to his family and friends.

Old 17th August 2007, 05:58 AM   #7060
kitakaze

I guess if proponents were trying to get us to buy into the idea of an extremely rare creature living in a couple of highly remote locations of the PNW then they'd be having less of a PR problem but that's not what's being presented. With the rise of the internet and the wide range of people who want to join the bigfootery role-playing game with sufficient tree cover in there locales we have the current joke they don't get being perpetuated.

Before living in Japan I lived in Victoria, BC on Vancouver Island which as I've discussed elsewhere is one of the classic sasquatch stomping grounds. To my surprise, according to this 2006-2007 BFRO class A report, I don't even need to look further than my own hometown to find sasquatch! They're living right there at the outskirts of the city! Thanks guys! Wow, don't I feel stupid.

That's the great thing about bigfoot, you see. We can't sit and nod our heads while listening to proponents carrying on about remote, vast, inaccessible this and that but not to worry, we're in luck. Bigfoot comes quite literally to our front door.

What's that, friend? Live in Des Moines, Iowa? Don't be so glum, we've got bigfoot for you! Here's a class A 2000 report featuring a sasquatch leaping into the air on a bike trail within the city limits of Des Moines. Sign up to the bigfoot website of your choice, grab your hat and bus ticket, snap some pictures of some mysterious sign, post 'em quick and SNAP! You're squatchin', buddy.

I don't have to worry about the lack of reports with females or infants. If I just find the right spot in my hometown I can get a friend to set up a webcam in the back yard and it'll just be a matter of time before one of them little rugrats comes ripping out of the forest with big mama chasing behind. Just you wait.

ETA: Well, there you have it. Correa has beaten me to it. He even posted a link to the Mangani map that I felt too lazy to do. I'll be retiring my oven mitts now.

Last edited by kitakaze; 17th August 2007 at 06:06 AM.
Old 17th August 2007, 06:06 AM   #7061
Melissa
Thinker

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo...buchanan-obit/

My condolences to his family and friends.
Dan was a tremendous man, and a good friend.
Old 17th August 2007, 07:07 AM   #7062
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Uhm...
I though about this also... Never wrote a letter about it because I would need to check if the idea is plausible. This would require at least some googling for... For... Hrm... *cough* D!ldos *cough* available back in the 60s... I would also have to write a post (pics included) about my findings. So, I decided just to let this whole issue aside.

Unless we decide to make a "Brokefoot Mountain" thread. Two (or three) cowboys alone in the woods...
Those were available waaaay before the 60th...
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2007, 07:24 AM   #7063
kitakaze

Here we have hit the motherload.

BFRO Class A report:

Forestry worker has various encounters.

Right next to Seattle, multiple bigfoots, males, a female, a child, sagging breasts, humps, talking. The child was only 6 ft, mind you.

Old 17th August 2007, 08:06 AM   #7064
kitakaze

*sniff* *sniff* Funky bigfoot gold, baby.

BFRO Class A report:

Weirdo 2004 Kansas 3ft sideways shuffling little white yeti/ewok thing.

With pictures!

Old 17th August 2007, 08:55 AM   #7065
Correa Neto
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
Those were available waaaay before the 60th...
OK, but would they dangle?

Suppose PGF showed what was claimed to be a bigfoot with a serious priapirism condition...

Would wee see a PGF supporter say "no one would hoax that thing"?
Old 17th August 2007, 09:03 AM   #7066
Correa Neto
Philosopher

Here we have hit the motherload.

BFRO Class A report:

Forestry worker has various encounters.

Right next to Seattle, multiple bigfoots, males, a female, a child, sagging breasts, humps, talking. The child was only 6 ft, mind you.
Class A...
Originally Posted by BFRO Class A report
my boss mike kinda had seen the shadows but tried to convince me it was his boss ken and some secretarys that he brought out into the woods that sometimes he does.
Very reliable, yeah...

*sniff* *sniff* Funky bigfoot gold, baby.

BFRO Class A report:

Weirdo 2004 Kansas 3ft sideways shuffling little white yeti/ewok thing.

With pictures!
Cool, large eyes... Does it looks like Patty?

How bigfeet are supposed to look like, again?

Where is the supposed consistency between the eyewitnesses' descriptions?
Or its just biped and hairy?

Criteria, where are the criteria used to draw the lines and "build" a standard bigfoot? Is its up to each investigator's own concepts and bias?

Last edited by Correa Neto; 17th August 2007 at 09:38 AM. Reason: name da quote!
Old 17th August 2007, 09:04 AM   #7067
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Roger Patterson is one person who would hoax a female bigfoot, though.

Old 17th August 2007, 09:06 AM   #7068
Correa Neto
Philosopher

Evidence?

*sorry, could not resist, it was my Larsen moment of the week*
Old 17th August 2007, 09:21 AM   #7069
kitakaze

All your base are belong to my hat.

Important bigfoot weenie info included.

Old 17th August 2007, 09:25 AM   #7070
RayG
Master Poster

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Some people have been moaning about my term "Pattycakes". It simply refers to someone who believes the PGF shows a real Bigfoot.
I guess that's me you hear moaning in the background, I've never thought labels advanced an argument, regardless of how cute or inventive they might be.

Quote:
Knights mused that the term connotates a childish game.
Kinda like his own self-invented term 'scoftic'.

Quote:
This wasn't my thinking and instead I imagined a pancake. LOL. Nobody is being forced to use the term. The obvious alternative is something like "PGF Believer".
The obvious alternative is to refrain from using emotive/loaded terms and labels.

Quote:
"Suitnik" seems to work as a term to describe anyone who thinks the PGF subject is somebody in a suit or costume. I'll give you guys two new terms you can use for the special sub-category of Suitniks who believe that Bob Heironimus was inside the suit that is shown in the PGF. Around here, I might be the only one. You can call me a "Bobsucker" (suckered into thinking BH is Patty), or if you want to be less bawdy you can use "Bobster".

I also thought of "Heironimo" (think Geronimo), but it's just too stupid. Okay now "Heironopotamus". It sucks too...
How about we just use 'lame'?

Sorry, I left my sense of humor at work yesterday.

RayG
RayG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2007, 09:34 AM   #7071
Correa Neto
Philosopher

From K.'s link...
Originally Posted by Clayton Bailey Press
Human males have a single penile bone; whereas Bigfoot has a triple-jointed bone that can make a "U" turn,
Makes sense... The critter has a mid-tarsal-break, after all...

This thread is becoming very... Informative...
Old 17th August 2007, 11:12 AM   #7072
Melissa
Thinker

Originally Posted by Mad Hom View Post
IMO...you're done responding to Kit's posts mostly because he's been tearing you a new one for at least the last several pages....meanwhile you keep saying things like...."I heard Meldrum say it differently"..."those are his words not mine"..."Waaaaaahh...William pulled my hair"

In sum...you have nothing.
I choose whom I speak to, and I choose when. Anyone can type out a post that is insulting and rude - I do not find intelligent conversation or discussion in anything Kitakazee has had to say recently - mis-quoting someone, and recanting later only after its brought up that they are infact wrong with their source, is very laughable and far below that of anyone I would call credible or honest. I am done responding to the childish antics of people. Either discuss the issues like an adult, or I will simply stop discussing the issue completely. It really is that simple. How old are you anyway? 12? Stop being rude an insulting to me, and I will return the favor.

Ah, no I ment exactly what I said, if your confused - ask one of your friends here who can understand english to help you out. When either you or Kitakazee come up with something to say that does not completely drip with contempt I will start to respond again. There are more than just you and kitakazee who deserve to take a swipe at me too.

The world does not revolve around you and your opinion - and I am so grateful for that. There is no rule on this message board that I must respond to those I feel are insulting and childish. Maybe you should ask the owners of the board to change things here to the way you like it.

Why you choose to keep pestering me when I have moved on, is very strange to say the least. I would suggest you move on, and really get over it.

Thats my good deed for the day.
Old 17th August 2007, 11:22 AM   #7073
kitakaze

Originally Posted by RayG View Post
Sorry, I left my sense of humor at work yesterday.

RayG
I agree fully, Ray, that labels don't advance the argument. That said, while I'm not quite interested in all things Randi, I did rather like Randi brats.

Bigfootery is a big, silly, hilarious mess. It doesn't quite rise to the integrity of a deep love of Dn'D. It needs a certain type of antagonism. It needs to be poked for the ludicrousness that it puts forth. The people that perpetuate it's silliness need to be taken to task for their data mining and fantasy play. If they continue to represent it as something more than fantasy, they should be expected to try and come to terms with all aspects of its silliness. They can call me a scoftic all they like. What they can't do is qualify that in any meaningful way that doesn't make their role-playing charades transparent. They can sit around and speculate if bigfoots keep pets and why they hate us or they can start to take a hard look at the whole thing. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Bigfootery is a joke that its perpetuators just don't get.

Old 17th August 2007, 11:28 AM   #7074
kitakaze

I do not find intelligent conversation or discussion in anything Kitakazee has had to say recently - mis-quoting someone, and recanting later only after its brought up that they are infact wrong with their source, is very laughable and far below that of anyone I would call credible or honest.
Fair enough. Where did I misquote Meldrum? Are you arguing that he doesn't support Green's position on the lack of female sasquatch reports? Where was I dishonest?

Old 17th August 2007, 12:02 PM   #7075
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Melissa, why do you think Meldrum quoted Green about female bigfoot?
Did Meldrum disagree with Green, or offer a different explanation?

Old 17th August 2007, 12:07 PM   #7076
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
I choose whom I speak to, and I choose when.
Yes, evidently you chose to come to a skeptic board and speak to skeptics about bigfoot. Evidently, you are surprised to run into actual skeptics here.

Old 17th August 2007, 04:20 PM   #7077
Mad Hom
Loose Cannon

I guess if proponents were trying to get us to buy into the idea of an extremely rare creature living in a couple of highly remote locations of the PNW then they'd be having less of a PR problem but that's not what's being presented. With the rise of the internet and the wide range of people who want to join the bigfootery role-playing game with sufficient tree cover in there locales we have the current joke they don't get being perpetuated.

Before living in Japan I lived in Victoria, BC on Vancouver Island which as I've discussed elsewhere is one of the classic sasquatch stomping grounds. To my surprise, according to this 2006-2007 BFRO class A report, I don't even need to look further than my own hometown to find sasquatch! They're living right there at the outskirts of the city! Thanks guys! Wow, don't I feel stupid.

That's the great thing about bigfoot, you see. We can't sit and nod our heads while listening to proponents carrying on about remote, vast, inaccessible this and that but not to worry, we're in luck. Bigfoot comes quite literally to our front door.

What's that, friend? Live in Des Moines, Iowa? Don't be so glum, we've got bigfoot for you! Here's a class A 2000 report featuring a sasquatch leaping into the air on a bike trail within the city limits of Des Moines. Sign up to the bigfoot website of your choice, grab your hat and bus ticket, snap some pictures of some mysterious sign, post 'em quick and SNAP! You're squatchin', buddy.

I don't have to worry about the lack of reports with females or infants. If I just find the right spot in my hometown I can get a friend to set up a webcam in the back yard and it'll just be a matter of time before one of them little rugrats comes ripping out of the forest with big mama chasing behind. Just you wait.

ETA: Well, there you have it. Correa has beaten me to it. He even posted a link to the Mangani map that I felt too lazy to do. I'll be retiring my oven mitts now.

Bigfootery RPG.....Absolutely spot on Kit...I believe I moaned and groaned about this many many pages ago. It would seem that every area with a few acres of tall trees wants in on the game...it's sad really.

Indiana? Iowa? Ohio? Oklahoma? Kansas?...c'mon now Bigfoot Fan we're not really supposed to buy the Bigfeetsus phenomenon if you insist on including the midwest and the square states of the central US are we?

If you want back whatever shred of credibility you once had you'll need to distance yourself from the RIBFRO (Rhode Island Bigfeetsus Research Organization) post haste.

If this were only happening in the PNW...I might be a tad more open to it's remote possibility...but alas it isn't...Hairy Bipeds of Unusual size are running rampant across the whole of the US.....they're in the purple mountains majesty....the amber waves of grain...they're freeking everywhere...yet at the same time...they're nowhere at all.

and oh Bigfoot Fan....by the way......yes as a matter of fact that is killing your cause!!

Last edited by Mad Hom; 17th August 2007 at 05:15 PM.
Old 17th August 2007, 05:12 PM   #7078
Mad Hom
Loose Cannon

I agree fully, Ray, that labels don't advance the argument. That said, while I'm not quite interested in all things Randi, I did rather like Randi brats.

Bigfootery is a big, silly, hilarious mess. It doesn't quite rise to the integrity of a deep love of Dn'D. It needs a certain type of antagonism. It needs to be poked for the ludicrousness that it puts forth. The people that perpetuate it's silliness need to be taken to task for their data mining and fantasy play. If they continue to represent it as something more than fantasy, they should be expected to try and come to terms with all aspects of its silliness. They can call me a scoftic all they like. What they can't do is qualify that in any meaningful way that doesn't make their role-playing charades transparent. They can sit around and speculate if bigfoots keep pets and why they hate us or they can start to take a hard look at the whole thing. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Bigfootery is a joke that its perpetuators just don't get.
Well put Kit....describes my opinion on Bigfoot Nation to the T....and I'm so glad someone finally described Bigfoot Fan the way I see them...as people prone to flights of fancy who really really like the idea of Hairy Bipeds of Unusual Size roaming the fruited plain..and who don't let an incredible lack of hard evidence and ridiculous inconsistencies stand in the way of their little pet Bleef.
Old 17th August 2007, 05:56 PM   #7079
kitakaze

Thanks Madness. William Parcher deserves credit for the bigfoot = RPG for adults analogy. I say analogy but I'm not even sure that's necessary. The bigfoot game is just too irresisistable. Bigfoot is reported in more places than cougars are. Kansas? Oh, there's no place like home, baby.

Go ahead, Credibilty Quest footer, and try and distance yourself from the RIBFRO or KBFRO dudes or whatever but you've been warned. Zeke is gonna pull his walkie talkies from the next New York expedition and he's gonna be at the same table as you at Honobia this year. You'll get to hear firsthand what everybody at his new RIBRC forum thinks of your slap to bigfoot research.

Old 18th August 2007, 02:30 AM   #7080
Mad Hom
Loose Cannon

Thanks Madness. William Parcher deserves credit for the bigfoot = RPG for adults analogy. I say analogy but I'm not even sure that's necessary. The bigfoot game is just too irresisistable. Bigfoot is reported in more places than cougars are. Kansas? Oh, there's no place like home, baby.

Go ahead, Credibilty Quest footer, and try and distance yourself from the RIBFRO or KBFRO dudes or whatever but you've been warned. Zeke is gonna pull his walkie talkies from the next New York expedition and he's gonna be at the same table as you at Honobia this year. You'll get to hear firsthand what everybody at his new RIBRC forum thinks of your slap to bigfoot research.
The whole Bigfeeetsus phenomenon really jumps the shark when the Delaware,Nebraska and Iowa contingents start talking about tree knocking ,banshee screams in the night and Class A sightings....how on earth do credible (and I use that term verrrrrrrrry loosely) Bigfeetsus researchers allow these tools to continue to muddy the waters. If Hairy Bipeds are as widespread across the fruited plain as these people claim than why in the world do we not have anything better than the Con Man's Flick, The Skookum Arse print or Marx Foot...errr...Cripple Foot.

These things are everywhere...in every state...hell every country damn near has a Hairy Biped of Unusual Heighth why hasn't one been shot yet...be it by gun,camera,crossbow,blow dart...whatever..

Kit mentioned cougars...very rare animal in certain states sayyyyyyy...Florida for example...where's the FCRO (Florida Cougar Research Organization) or the Red Wolf or the Vancouver Island Marmot or whatever...there probably is barely a handful of John and Jane Q Publics out researching these rare and endangered animals even in places where they were proven to exist...but Bigfeetsus a creature who's proven existence is at best tenuous has an amateur FRO in every single swinging state of the union....good grief...I guess Cougars and Marmots just aren't spooky and mysterious enough huh?

Bigfoot Fan....Hairy Bipeds of Unusual Size are living in every single stand of tall trees in every state...get out there Bigfoot Fan and bring this thing to a close already....of course figuring this thing out one way or the other ends the mystery and methinks the mystery is all most of them are in it for in the first place.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal