IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags defamation cases , lawsuits , media criticism , Nathan Phillips , Nick Sandmann , protest incidents , racism charges

Old 29th August 2022, 01:55 PM   #2521
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

FOX NEWS: Federal judge dismissing Nick Sandmann's media libel lawsuits appears 'politically motivated': Joe Concha

I know... Fox's response is unsurprising.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2022, 02:26 PM   #2522
Warp12
King of Kings

The funny thing is, there is no doubt that liberal media crapped all over this kid. And that his unfair treatment warrants some legal accountability.

One would think that we could all at least agree on that, regardless of our political affiliation.

But it seems that some feel a sense of joy that his cases were struck down.

Last edited by Warp12; 29th August 2022 at 02:29 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2022, 02:44 PM   #2523
arayder
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
The funny thing is, there is no doubt that liberal media crapped all over this kid. And that his unfair treatment warrants some legal accountability.

One would think that we could all at least agree on that, regardless of our political affiliation.

Your "we could all at least agree on that" jibber jabber aside the kid had his day in court. Any notion what's due him was settled in a court of law.
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2022, 02:54 PM   #2524
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

And there's no doubt that conservative media shed praise all over this kid. And they still do.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2022, 03:00 PM   #2525
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
And there's no doubt that conservative media shed praise all over this kid. And they still do.

What exactly does that mean? Seems clear you agree with me that he was treated unjustly.

They wouldn't even have known of him if not not for the way he was treated by liberal media. Shameful.
Old 29th August 2022, 03:04 PM   #2526
arayder
Master Poster

What exactly does that mean? Seems clear you agree with me that he was treated unjustly.

They wouldn't even have known of him if not not for the way he was treated by liberal media. Shameful.
In the Warp fantasy world questions of law get settled in the media.

Who gives a flip what Fox or MSNBC think?
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2022, 03:15 PM   #2527
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Do you favor legal accountablity for Fox News for all the people is has crapped over?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2022, 04:07 PM   #2528
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Do you favor legal accountablity for Fox News for all the people is has crapped over?

What is this thread about? FOX News? No.

I favor accountability for ANY media oulet that targets anyone unjustly. Regardless of party affiliation.

But this thread is about Sandmann.

Last edited by Warp12; 29th August 2022 at 04:08 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2022, 04:20 PM   #2529
arayder
Master Poster

I favor accountability for ANY media oulet that targets anyone unjustly. Regardless of party affiliation.

Do us a favor, Warp, and study a little political philosophy.

It’s through reason and the rule of law that our society rises above the kind of media based bickering and conflict you are promoting.

You come here avoiding the facts and the truth. Your double talk may seem smart to you but it avoids the long held western tradition that life in a republic is about addressing the truth, indeed a reality one might not like.

Sandmann lost in court.

Get over it.

Last edited by arayder; 29th August 2022 at 04:33 PM.
Old 29th August 2022, 04:22 PM   #2530
Matthew Best
Philosopher

I loved the show, but the way the lead actor pursed his lips all the time was a bit irritating.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2022, 04:34 PM   #2531
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by arayder View Post
Do us a favor, Warp, and study a little political philosophy.

It’s through reason and the rule of law that our society rises above the kind of media based bickering and conflict you are promoting.
Sandmann lost in court.

Get over it.

Do you keep that same "rule of law" energy when the SCOTUS hands down its rulings?

Last edited by Warp12; 29th August 2022 at 04:35 PM.
Old 29th August 2022, 04:36 PM   #2532
arayder
Master Poster

Do you keep that same "rule of law" energy when the SCOTUS hands down its rulings?
Yes. I argue points of law.

When it comes to Sandmann you haven't said much more than to moan about the media.

So I ask you what the court got wrong in the Sandmann ruling?

Last edited by arayder; 29th August 2022 at 04:40 PM.
Old 29th August 2022, 04:52 PM   #2533
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by arayder View Post
Yes. I argue points of law.

Let me research the veracity of that statement, and I will get back to you.
Old 29th August 2022, 04:54 PM   #2534
arayder
Master Poster

Let me research the veracity of that statement, and I will get back to you.
Substance please! I asked you what you think the court got wrong in the Sandmann ruling?

Last edited by arayder; 29th August 2022 at 04:58 PM.
Old 30th August 2022, 02:31 AM   #2535
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

No, I don't agree with you at all. Apparently, your knowledge of how the incident happened and how the media covered it is sadly lacking...either that or you get all you info off right-wing media/news sites.

The big, bad liberal media first reported on the incident on Jan. 19 when it became aware of short videos taken by some people at the incident being posted on social media sites the late afternoon/evening of Jan 18 that gave the impression that the boys from the school were the aggressors. That was not the big, bad liberal media. The posters believed the boys were being disrespectful and had surrounded and blocked Nathan Phillips, the Native American with the drum. This turned out to be basically a rather chaotic scene that was riddled with misunderstandings and assumptions. But video does show the high school boys all around Phillips jumping up and down, and laughing while mocking his drum playing. They were clearly being disrespectful. The day after the incident, the media interviewed Nathan Phillips and he gave his account of what happened. The big, bad liberal media's stories were simply reporting what Phillips said. Sandmann was not identified until Jan. 23. Fox News' early account was very similar to other media's. However, when longer and thus more informative videos began to be produced, it gave a clearer picture of what had happened and the big, bad liberal media updated and changed their stories adding the new information. For example, CNN's coverage on Jan. 23 contained an interview with Sandmann who gave his side of the incident:

Quote:
Sandmann's lawsuit contained highly questionable claims:
Quote:
Sandmann observed as Phillips moved toward and then through the group of students. Some students moved out of Phillips’s way as he walked forward. Sandmann felt that Phillips was trying to intimidate the students by walking right up to them when he could have taken several other routes around them, so Sandmann felt like he wanted to stand up for his school. At the time, he did not know that Phillips’s intent was to get up to the Lincoln Memorial;
Watching the videos, Phillips was just trying to pass through the crowd to get up to the steps and Sandmann refuses to move while the other boys surround him. There was no need to 'stand up for his school' because Phillips had not said anything to them. I know a smirk when I see one and Sandmann had a clear smirk on his face.

Quote:
The steps were icy and Sandmann was concerned that if he moved he might slip and fall.
That's a pile of feces. The videos show the students jumping up and down and walking around showing zero concern for any 'icy steps'. This is nothing more than Sandmann trying to give an excuse and a provably wrong one at that.

Quote:
Sandmann felt he was being mature by remaining calm and standing his ground in a tense situation
I call bull on this one, too. He was being a punk-assed kid.

Quote:
Five of the six individuals aver that it was their impression that Sandmann blocked Phillips from moving forward,” the judge noted.

The final witness, a classmate of Sandmann’s, “moved away from the group at the time of the encounter between Sandmann and Phillips and did not observe it directly,” the judge wrote.

Judge Bertelsman disagrees with you:

Quote:
Later, Bertelsman suggested that the press did little more than to report Philips’ version of the events. Phillips’ version of the events were opinions, not facts, the judge concluded.

“The media defendants were covering a matter of great public interest, and they reported Phillips’s first-person view of what he experienced,” the judge wrote. “This would put the reader on notice that Phillips was simply giving his perspective on the incident.”

“Therefore, in the factual context of this case, Phillips’s ‘blocking’ statements are protected opinions,” Bertelsman rationed. “This holding moots all other motions before the Court.”
Old 30th August 2022, 02:37 AM   #2536
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Do you think Fox, OANN, or Newsmax target anyone unjustly? Yes or No? And don't try to evade answering the question by repeating "I favor accountability for ANY media oulet that targets anyone unjustly. Regardless of party affiliation," because you may think they don't unjustly target anyone.
Old 30th August 2022, 02:38 AM   #2537
Warp12
King of Kings

<Long-winded diatribe fueled by hate for Sandmann over his conservative views>

I disagree.
Old 30th August 2022, 02:40 AM   #2538
Warp12
King of Kings

Do you think Fox, OANN, or Newsmax target anyone unjustly? Yes or No? And don't try to evade answering the question by repeating "I favor accountability for ANY media oulet that targets anyone unjustly. Regardless of party affiliation," because you may think they don't unjustly target anyone.

Sure they do, at times. Is that even a point of debate?

It is as bad when they do it, as any liberal outlet doing it. And they should be held accountable.
Old 30th August 2022, 02:49 AM   #2539
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Sure they do, at times. Is that even a point of debate?

It is as bad when they do it, as any liberal outlet doing it. And they should be held accountable.
The Sandmann case was not one of these or they would have been held accountable by losing the lawsuits.
Old 4th September 2022, 10:14 AM   #2540
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Mod WarningThe topic of this thread is not each other. Remind yourselves of Rules 12 and 11.
Responding to this mod box in thread will be off topic Posted By:Darat
Old 5th September 2022, 02:57 AM   #2541
dann
Penultimate Amazing

I do.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2022, 03:24 AM   #2542
Susheel
Master Poster

Not gonna lie...but the schadenfreude I feel is exquisite.
Old 6th September 2022, 02:15 AM   #2543
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
I do.
Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
Not gonna lie...but the schadenfreude I feel is exquisite.
After reading his lawsuit claims and the 'I couldn't move because the steps were icy" lie and seeing the smirk on his face....well....you betcha I do.
Old 7th September 2022, 02:27 PM   #2544
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

The Washington Post, NBC and CNN had previously settled with Sandmann.

Todd McMurtry, an attorney for Sandmann, said: “We are disappointed with the decision. We plan to appeal.”
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2022, 02:35 PM   #2545
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
The Washington Post, NBC and CNN had previously settled with Sandmann.

Todd McMurtry, an attorney for Sandmann, said: “We are disappointed with the decision. We plan to appeal.”
I suspect it was just cheaper to pay him off than to fight it. The others felt differently and won. WAPO, NBC, and CNN probably regret that decision.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics