IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags impeachment , Starr

Old 16th September 2022, 12:12 PM   #81
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Having trouble finding any tv coverage of the lineups to file past his coffin. Is that not a thing in the USA for those beloved to conservatives?
Can you imagine the lines of Trump's cultists at his Bedminster golf club when he dies and gets planted by the water hazard? Can't come soon enough.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 12:52 PM   #82
Gulliver Foyle
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Somehow, "Investigate the Whitewater affair", which, IIRC, did result in one or two convictions, but no evidence turned up that the Clintons were involved in anything illegal, changed to "Find something, anything at all we can pin on Bill Clinton." He was like the cop in "Les Miserable" (whose name I don't remember) who pursued the hero for years because he escaped from prison to which he'd been sentenced for the heinous crime of stealing a loaf of bread to feed his starving family.

Trump loves to claim "witch hunt" any time he comes under scrutiny, but Starr conducted a real witch hunt against the Clintons.
Bold by me.

Benjamin Lafayette Sisko.

No it was really Inspector Javert.
Gulliver Foyle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 01:01 PM   #83
Gulliver Foyle
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Lets be clear on who Ken Starr really was

He was a person of questionable integriity who claimed to be a "good Christian man" yet he spent years trying to avoid accountability for a flurry of sexual assault claims at Baylor University.
He was president of Baylor University when it was waging a cover up campaign over its male sports stars raping and sexually assaulting female students. Given that his whole goal as president was to big up Baylor's sports teams, you have to conclude that if he wasn't actively involved in the cover up, he was at least complicit in it.

Edit: in fact, Starr reinstated one of the rapists who had earlier been suspended for academic misconduct. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baylor...l#Tevin_Elliot

Last edited by Gulliver Foyle; 16th September 2022 at 01:04 PM.
Gulliver Foyle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2022, 07:24 AM   #84
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Can you imagine the lines of Trump's cultists at his Bedminster golf club when he dies and gets planted by the water hazard? Can't come soon enough.
And his kids rubbing lemon juice in their eyes so they can be seen weeping.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2022, 07:28 AM   #85
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Starr was not a Nazi. He just thought he looked bitchin' in a Hugo Boss uniform.
That reminds me...

Someone once asked "what is a 'feminazi' anyway?" I said, "it's like a regular Nazi, but the uniforms are designed by Bob Mackie instead of Hugo Boss".
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2022, 07:38 AM   #86
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by Gulliver Foyle View Post
He was president of Baylor University when it was waging a cover up campaign over its male sports stars raping and sexually assaulting female students. Given that his whole goal as president was to big up Baylor's sports teams, you have to conclude that if he wasn't actively involved in the cover up, he was at least complicit in it.

Edit: in fact, Starr reinstated one of the rapists who had earlier been suspended for academic misconduct. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baylor...l#Tevin_Elliot
And in the end, it's always the same thing - money. Whether it's the Roman Catholic Church or the NCAA, it's all about protecting your money. I remember something Jon Stewart said about the Jerry Sanduski rape issue, and the people, especially students, protesting "Joe Pa's" accountability for covering it up. He mentioned the Vatican's parallel issues and said, "nobody's trying to take away your religion - in this case football. They just want to see some of it's bishops held accountable for their actions".
Old 18th September 2022, 12:41 PM   #87
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
That reminds me...

Someone once asked "what is a 'feminazi' anyway?" I said, "it's like a regular Nazi, but the uniforms are designed by Bob Mackie instead of Hugo Boss".
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2022, 12:49 PM   #88
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Bill Clinton was asked by Fareed Zakaria about Starr's death. His response:

"I read the obituary, and I realized that his family loved him, and I think that’s something to be grateful for. And when your life is over, that’s all there is to say. But I was taught not to talk about people that, you know…I have nothing to say, except that I’m glad he died with the love of his family."

I can imagine Trump's response when asked about the death of Nancy Pelosi or someone on the Jan 6 Committee. The words "loser", "witch hunt", "hoax", "Russia, Russia, Russia", "persecute" and "the likes of which were never seen before", come to mind.
Old 18th September 2022, 02:41 PM   #89
Warp12
King of Kings

"I read the obituary, and I realized that his family loved him, and I think that’s something to be grateful for. And when your life is over, that’s all there is to say. But I was taught not to talk about people that, you know…I have nothing to say, except that I’m glad he died with the love of his family."

I can imagine Trump's response when asked about the death of Nancy Pelosi or someone on the Jan 6 Committee. The words "loser", "witch hunt", "hoax", "Russia, Russia, Russia", "persecute" and "the likes of which were never seen before", come to mind.

Clinton was crapping on him in his own slick sort of way. He is probably still bitter about being caught in a lie. Starr did nothing wrong to Clinton. He did it to himself.

Last edited by Warp12; 18th September 2022 at 02:42 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2022, 04:05 PM   #90
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Clinton was crapping on him in his own slick sort of way. He is probably still bitter about being caught in a lie. Starr did nothing wrong to Clinton. He did it to himself.
I honestly don't give a **** if someone lies about something that isn't anyone else's ******* business. The only other person who's business it was was Hilary Clinton.

You still haven't named any specific acts of corruption that Ken Starr so heroically exposed. And I know conservatives generally think it's their business when any adult sticks his dick into another consenting adult, but I'm talking about real corruption - things that are illegal.

Ken Starr crawled up Clinton's colon with ground penetrating radar and bloodhounds, and the only thing he could get him on was lying, stupidly, about an embarrassing but perfectly legal sexual infidelity. If he'd found anything else he could have used he would have. It's one thing to come up empty handed, but Ken Starr went so far up Clinton's ass he needed oxygen and he still couldn't find ****.

Last edited by Foster Zygote; 18th September 2022 at 04:07 PM.
Old 18th September 2022, 07:04 PM   #91
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

LOL! He was showing class. Maybe you just didn't recognize it.
Old 18th September 2022, 07:07 PM   #92
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
I honestly don't give a **** if someone lies about something that isn't anyone else's ******* business. The only other person who's business it was was Hilary Clinton.

You still haven't named any specific acts of corruption that Ken Starr so heroically exposed. And I know conservatives generally think it's their business when any adult sticks his dick into another consenting adult, but I'm talking about real corruption - things that are illegal.

Ken Starr crawled up Clinton's colon with ground penetrating radar and bloodhounds, and the only thing he could get him on was lying, stupidly, about an embarrassing but perfectly legal sexual infidelity. If he'd found anything else he could have used he would have. It's one thing to come up empty handed, but Ken Starr went so far up Clinton's ass he needed oxygen and he still couldn't find ****.
Old 18th September 2022, 08:53 PM   #93
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

"I read the obituary, and I realized that his family loved him, and I think thatís something to be grateful for. And when your life is over, thatís all there is to say. But I was taught not to talk about people that, you knowÖI have nothing to say, except that Iím glad he died with the love of his family."

Because Ken Starr's death is all about Donald Trump.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2022, 09:06 PM   #94
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Because Ken Starr's death is all about Donald Trump.
For Trump, everything is about him.
Old 18th September 2022, 09:10 PM   #95
Warp12
King of Kings

You are kidding, right?

Quote:

He "realized" Starr's family loved him? Why wouldn't they? That is his spite showing. It is like saying, "I was surprised to learn that someone loved this POS". He was taught not to talk about people that, "you know"? The last quip, "I’m glad he died with the love of his family", would have been enough to convey everything.

Seeing Dems laud this as "classy" can only mean that they see Clinton as a victim to Starr. It is laughable, but entirely predictable.
Old 18th September 2022, 09:13 PM   #96
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Speaking of 'predictable'.......

You are kidding, right?

He "realized" Starr's family loved him? Why wouldn't they? That is his spite showing. It is like saying, "I was surprised to learn that someone loved this POS". He was taught not to talk about people that, "you know"? The last quip, "Iím glad he died with the love of his family", would have been enough to convey everything.

Seeing Dems laud this as "classy" can only mean that they see Clinton as a victim to Starr. It is laughable, but entirely predictable.

Thanks for confirming what I thought.
Old 19th September 2022, 03:35 AM   #97
Susheel
Master Poster

He "realized" Starr's family loved him? Why wouldn't they? That is his spite showing. It is like saying, "I was surprised to learn that someone loved this POS". He was taught not to talk about people that, "you know"? The last quip, "Iím glad he died with the love of his family", would have been enough to convey everything.

Ladies and gentlement...I present to you, real "self-righteous virtue signaling"
Old 19th September 2022, 04:05 AM   #98
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Dems are always guilty, Republicans must be given every benefit of the doubt.

this is so SOP, it's boring.
Old 19th September 2022, 06:37 AM   #99
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

You are kidding, right?

It certainly is predictable that a person like Trump or his cronies would never say the equivalent of "my feelings are not the most important thing right now."

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2022, 07:12 AM   #100
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

No, really, Clinton should be obligated to pretend that he has nothing but love and respect for the hypocrite who tried to take down his presidency over a blowjob but then tried to sweep rape by college athletes under the rug.

So, Warp, any thoughts on the specific illegal acts of corruption that Starr exposed?
Old 19th September 2022, 07:13 AM   #101
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post

Maybe Clinton's statement is just locker room talk?
Old 19th September 2022, 08:23 AM   #102
Susheel
Master Poster

I don't know if this might be considered OT, but I wonder if that bit of perjury was actually what saved him in the end. If he had in fact admitted pre-, or even at the hearing, he would have followed it up with a formal address to the press, expressing his extreme repentance for his actions.
Then as observed script goes, there might be a bipartisan call for him "to do the right thing". He might very well have been convinced to resign, and done it.
His act of perjury perhaps saved him. There was a circling of wagons around him, and enough was being dug up to reveal that Ken Starr was in fact a vindictive, hypocritical, partisan slime...which really, towards the end rendered the whole thing a.damp squid.

(I had the urge to make a joke about cum stains being washed away, but refrained.... Aren't you all proud of me?)
Old 19th September 2022, 08:33 AM   #103
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Re: Clinton's comments on Ass-wipe Star's death...
"I read the obituary, and I realized that his family loved him, and I think that’s something to be grateful for. And when your life is over, that’s all there is to say.

He "realized" Starr's family loved him? Why wouldn't they?
Plenty of families become estranged.

Why wouldn't they love Starr? Maybe some people in his family had integrity, and recognize that a giant hypocrite who tries to cover up sexual assaults, and who goes after Clinton while at the same time excusing a man who supported overthrowing a legitimate election is someone they might not necessarily love, despite sharing a few chromosomes.

Or maybe Clinton's "realization" is not whether ass-wipe Starr is loved by his family, but the realization is regarding the "something someone should be grateful for."

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2022, 01:10 PM   #104
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post

smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2022, 10:06 AM   #105
autumn1971
Illuminator

To some decency is seen to be a ploy, because some cannot be decent without deceitful motives
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2022, 10:12 AM   #106
autumn1971
Illuminator

Wait a second. He was never indicted and found guilty.
According to you anyone complaining about it is a whiney brat.
Also, Process Crimes are null and void!
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2022, 02:32 PM   #107
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
To some decency is seen to be a ploy, because some cannot be decent without deceitful motives
Of course, in the opposition all virtue is nothing but signalling. You could be a modern-day Joan of Arc and the trumpers of the world would make it about your tits.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2022, 03:36 PM   #108
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Of course, in the opposition all virtue is nothing but signalling. You could be a modern-day Joan of Arc and the trumpers of the world would make it about your tits.
...or your voice.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics