IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Should Federal govt. distribute illegal migrants across the country?
Yes 6 40.00%
No 9 60.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23rd September 2022, 06:58 AM   #1
Hercules56
Master Poster

Distribute illegal migrants across the country?

The cruel misdeeds of Texas and Florida have brought up a very interesting issue: What to do with all the millions of illegal migrants?

Should they just be the burden of border towns and states, or should the USA all share in the work, burden and cost?

I say the Federal govt. should distribute these folks evenly among the states, to places that have the funds and resources to deal with them. NY, Illinois, Michigan, New Jersey, Washington, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Georgia, Maryland, etc etc. This is a national problem and the solution is national, not just belonging to the unlucky towns that happen to be on the southern border.

What say you?

Last edited by Hercules56; 23rd September 2022 at 06:59 AM.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2022, 07:10 AM   #2
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Where do the illegal migrants wish to be ?

Where are the services and facilities to deal with them ?

Bussing immigrants against their will to Nowheresville Montana where there are no facilities seems cruel
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2022, 07:11 AM   #3
Hercules56
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Where do the illegal migrants wish to be ?

Where are the services and facilities to deal with them ?

Bussing immigrants against their will to Nowheresville Montana where there are no facilities seems cruel
The resources and services surely are NOT in these small border towns in Texas.

They should go to big cities across the USA, who can handle this kind of thing.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2022, 07:32 AM   #4
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

One, they're illegal immigrants.

Two, the obvious place to distribute them is back where they came from.
Old 23rd September 2022, 07:35 AM   #5
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
The cruel misdeeds of Texas and Florida have brought up a very interesting issue: What to do with all the millions of illegal migrants?

Should they just be the burden of border towns and states, or should the USA all share in the work, burden and cost?

I say the Federal govt. should distribute these folks evenly among the states, to places that have the funds and resources to deal with them. NY, Illinois, Michigan, New Jersey, Washington, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Georgia, Maryland, etc etc.
First of all, what makes you think cities like NY don't already have a significant number of illegal immigrants? New York and Illinois already have ~5% of the total number of illegal immigrants. (Remember, most illegal immigrants are actually people who come to the U.S. legally and overstay, rather than people crossing the border.)

See: Wikipedia

Secondly, you are assuming that illegal immigrants are actually a burden. But overall, they may be a net benefit to society (or at least the government)... they work (often at jobs that they cannot find Americans to do), and often pay taxes without using many government services.

Thirdly, how exactly is this going to work for illegal immigrants who come to do a specific task (like agricultural work)? Ship some farm worker from a rural area to some big "sancturary city" and you are basically hurting everyone... the farm owner has nobody to harvest crops, the immigrant cannot do the thing they were experienced with, and the city now has to handle someone who's skills are unsuitable for the current situation.

Lastly... Currently many urbanized states are net contributors to the federal treasury, and many other states (like Georgia, which has a large illegal immigrant population for its size) are net recipients. If you move these illegal immigrants around, are you going to reduce any federal support to states like Georgia? (After all, if they no longer have illegal immigrants to worry about, they should get by with less money.)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2022, 07:36 AM   #6
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I say the Federal govt. should distribute these folks evenly among the states, to places that have the funds and resources to deal with them. NY, Illinois, Michigan, New Jersey, Washington, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Georgia, Maryland, etc etc. This is a national problem and the solution is national, not just belonging to the unlucky towns that happen to be on the southern border.

What say you?
You reference apparent current events that I thought were about people seeking asylum not illegal immigrants?
Old 23rd September 2022, 07:37 AM   #7
Hercules56
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
You reference apparent current events that I thought were about people seeking asylum not illegal immigrants?
Everyone and their uncle is seeking "asylum". To escape bad economic conditions.
Old 23rd September 2022, 07:40 AM   #8
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

Except of course it is not always easy to determine a person's immigration status.

They may have claimed refugee status. There may be issues of them violating conditions of their visa. Cases like this may take time to sort out, and you can't keep people jailed indefinitely. So until those things are settled they will probably need to be released.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2022, 07:43 AM   #9
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

For illegal immigrants it would seem to be "common sense" that you deport them and not do a Brer Fox and throw them into the briar patch.

I would have thought the better policy would be to have well funded agencies that deport illegal immigrants from where they are caught, wherever that is.
Old 23rd September 2022, 07:46 AM   #10
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Everyone and their uncle is seeking "asylum". To escape bad economic conditions.
Then it would seem you are conflating legal asylum seekers with illegal immigrants. Why?
Old 23rd September 2022, 07:48 AM   #11
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

Then it would seem you are conflating legal asylum seekers with illegal immigrants. Why?
I think we both know damned well why: they both look the same.
Old 23rd September 2022, 07:49 AM   #12
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Well as any fule kno, asylum seekers are simply illegal immigrants trying to game the system.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2022, 12:31 PM   #13
Gulliver Foyle
Critical Thinker

What say you?
What makes them illegal immigrants? Is it the fact that your country refuses to allow them legal pathways to immigrate or claim asylum?
Gulliver Foyle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2022, 12:34 PM   #14
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

Originally Posted by Gulliver Foyle View Post
What makes them illegal immigrants? Is it the fact that your country refuses to allow them legal pathways to immigrate or claim asylum?
The lack of foresight of not being born in the U.S.A. is sufficient.
Old 23rd September 2022, 01:19 PM   #15
Warp12
King of Kings

What to do with all the millions of illegal migrants?

Deport as quickly as possible, with no concern for their well-being. They need to stop trying to enter the country illegally, and pandering to them is not going to help the problem.

Quote:
I say the Federal govt. should distribute these folks evenly among the states, to places that have the funds and resources to deal with them. NY, Illinois, Michigan, New Jersey, Washington, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Georgia, Maryland, etc etc.

Why in the hell would you "distribute" illegals across the country? Is this some sort of liberal-sponsored insanity? I hope it isn't under serious policy consideration.

Last edited by Warp12; 23rd September 2022 at 01:20 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2022, 01:39 PM   #16
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

This thread is real short on actual evidence.

OK. Cite the source of "millions" and explain who is included. Seems to me you're probably referring to undocumented people who are likely in the process of immigrating properly. The vast majority of those should remain free as they are now.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2022, 01:50 PM   #17
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

What does the number of them (or your perception of why they do it) have to do with the legality or illegality of what they're doing?

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2022, 01:51 PM   #18
plague311
Great minds think...

Texas doesn't get money to help absorb the costs of immigration? That's ******* crazy. Someone better tell John Cornyn, the US Senator for Texas because his website says:

Quote:
Equips boots on the ground on the southern border by providing $22 billion for interior enforcement and border security efforts, including equipment upgrades and tactical infrastructure along the southern border.

Supports border communities in Texas that absorb the costs from the surge of illegal immigration by directing $130 million to the Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA) to compensate these communities.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2022, 02:20 PM   #19
8enotto
Master Poster

Immigrants are folks seeking a dream, a better something than they had wherever they were before.

They are a smart, resourceful group that will adapt and move about at will. Illegal immigrants are just a group of them much better at hiding in a crowd and will take any job the locals will not.

They will find their way to being places where work, relative safety and decent shelter are found. No matter how much any government tries to put them somewhere else.

A young man escaping a place where there is no opportunity and a lot of chance of death for violence isn't going back. He will do anything to make a better life for himself and damn your laws.
Oddly he will avoid breaking laws wherever he is to avoid unwanted attention.

Each has his or her own plan, they won't be pushed into preset plans that don't fulfill the dream.
Asylum seekers are an easy targets as they are following rules to try for the prize. They will do as they are told. For a while.

It's a problem that needs as many solui as there are illegals. Stopping them at the borders is the best blanket solution.
8enotto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2022, 02:36 PM   #20
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Assuming for a moment that the people referred to in the OP are genuine asylum seekers and are sent to places they do not prefer, what mechanisms are in place to keep them there? Concentration camps? Fenced borders with guards everywhere?

Conservative thought bubbles are stupid.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2022, 02:39 PM   #21
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

If the asylum seekers coming across from the southern borders were Caucasian, I don't think this would an issue for Republicans.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2022, 03:14 PM   #22
arayder
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Deport as quickly as possible, with no concern for their well-being.
Men to the right. Women and children to the left!

They need to stop trying to enter the country illegally, and pandering to them is not going to help the problem.
Anyone who does not obey these orders immediately will be shot!

Why in the hell would you "distribute" illegals across the country? Is this some sort of liberal-sponsored insanity? I hope it isn't under serious policy consideration.
You are gathered here to protect the purity of our beloved homeland.

Abandon all hope!
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2022, 05:05 PM   #23
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Assuming for a moment that the people referred to in the OP are genuine asylum seekers and are sent to places they do not prefer, what mechanisms are in place to keep them there? Concentration camps? Fenced borders with guards everywhere?

Conservative thought bubbles are stupid.
I hear a vast expanse of open ocean in the middle of nowhere South Pacific works really well.
Old 23rd September 2022, 05:09 PM   #24
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Wow.
Old 23rd September 2022, 08:00 PM   #25
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I hear a vast expanse of open ocean in the middle of nowhere South Pacific works really well.
No doubt you wish the US were in that position. As it isn’t, what should be done to ensure asylum seekers stay in their designated location?

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2022, 04:40 PM   #26
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

For illegal immigrants it would seem to be "common sense" that you deport them and not do a Brer Fox and throw them into the briar patch.

I would have thought the better policy would be to have well funded agencies that deport illegal immigrants from where they are caught, wherever that is.
That's what the Texas & Florida stunts are about. Their states are dealing with the consequences of laws & policies created & maintained mostly by people in other states. Making those others deal with it for a change isn't a bad way to call their attention to it... except for when it happens to be illegal... and involve a second layer of crimes like fraud in how it's carried out...

If so, would that be a bad thing? I think not. (And criticizing it would be hypocritical for anybody who defends other countries which actually do mostly block immigrants out.)

Lack of their own means of traveling long distances of their own volition.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2022, 08:33 PM   #27
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

No doubt you wish the US were in that position.
Not really, no.

Quote:
As it isn’t, what should be done to ensure asylum seekers stay in their designated location?
Low security detention camp, and immediate deportation without an asylum hearing for anyone who leaves the camp without permission, seems more than reasonable.

I'm surprised Australia doesn't do something similar. I'm surprised the US doesn't do something similar. This has several advantages. Since it's a federal camp implementing a federal policy, the feds can fund it and staff it directly, unburdening the host states. It also provides a central location, convenient to the immigrants, for immigration courts and asylum hearings. It also provides a central location from which to deport those illegal immigrants who are found to not qualify for asylum, for one reason or another.

Camp population and administration costs can be used as proxy measures of border control efficacy, and help determine when increasing border security is more cost-effective than expanding the camp.

I mean, legitimate asylum seekers, entering the country illegally, but otherwise acting in good faith, shouldn't be trying to dodge authorities and travel freely anyway, right?

Last edited by theprestige; 24th September 2022 at 08:40 PM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2022, 02:26 AM   #28
LongFuzzy
Critical Thinker

"...with liberty and justice for all."
Well, unless they are considered undesirable, apparently.
LongFuzzy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2022, 02:45 PM   #29
mumblethrax
Species traitor

What could possibly go wrong with forced migration?
mumblethrax is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2022, 03:04 PM   #30
Mojo
Mostly harmless

The problem with this idea is that illegal immigrants are, well, illegal. They aren’t going to report in saying, “hey, I’m illegal, where are you going to send me?”

There are all sorts of illegal activities that are not distributed evenly. For example homicide rates differ between states. How about distributing homicides across the country?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2022, 05:00 PM   #31
Gulliver Foyle
Critical Thinker

And the worst thing of this
Edited by Darat:  Breach of rule 10 removed.
of just deporting immigrants willy nilly is that you* are likely deporting your future with it. No western country is going to replace its population naturally because no western country is hitting the replacement birth rate and the numbers are only getting worse.

*And yes my country is doing it too, and I'm very angry about that.

Mod WarningPlease remember rule 10 and do not attempt to disguise swearwords.
Responding to this mod box in thread will be off topic Posted By:Darat

Last edited by Darat; 26th September 2022 at 01:34 AM.
Gulliver Foyle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2022, 05:07 PM   #32
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

And the worst thing of this ********** of just deporting immigrants willy nilly is that you* are likely deporting your future with it. No western country is going to replace its population naturally because no western country is hitting the replacement birth rate and the numbers are only getting worse.

*And yes my country is doing it too, and I'm very angry about that.
Exactly. As I said earlier Australia has over 50% born overseas or with parents born overseas. Our biggest immigrant groups are from India and China. If not for immigrants our nation would be an aged, white and ultimately irrelevant nation.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 25th September 2022, 05:07 PM   #33
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LongFuzzy View Post
"...with liberty and justice for all."
Well, unless they are considered undesirable, apparently.
If you want to argue for the abolition of jails, you should probably start a separate thread for that.
Old 25th September 2022, 06:03 PM   #34
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

Immigrants being the main (or only) source of population growth is why I'd prefer to keep them out. Population growth is a fundamentally obviously bad thing. Seeing it treated as if it were good is one of the most bizarrely surreal things anybody could have possibly come up with in all of modern sociopolitics. It's like watching people say we need more pebbles in our food because without them all food just isn't rocky enough.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2022, 06:15 PM   #35
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Perhaps Gully Foyle is making a patriotic nationalist case. America will persist and grow and continue to dominate, if it welcomes in as many millions of randos and fugitives as it can find.

Though one wonders why none of the other western nations haven't performed the same human resources calculus, and reached the same enlightened conclusion. They all seem to have similarly strict immigration rules.

And wouldn't the most humanitarian thing to do, in the long run, be to send them all back home? America is already on top. Its future is secured for a good long while yet, even if it dwindles. Why deprive these other nations of the populations they need to create similar opportunities for themselves?
Old 25th September 2022, 06:53 PM   #36
Venom
Philosopher

Continue to support these third world countries with resources, the ones receptive to the West anyway, and in the long run they could improve their standard of living and lower their birth rates earlier than otherwise.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2022, 12:16 AM   #37
LongFuzzy
Critical Thinker

If you want to argue for the abolition of jails, you should probably start a separate thread for that.

Ever hear of the pledge of allegiance?
LongFuzzy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2022, 12:29 AM   #38
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by LongFuzzy View Post
Ever hear of the pledge of allegiance?

Perhaps that bit of it is unconstitutional.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2022, 04:18 AM   #39
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Perhaps Gully Foyle is making a patriotic nationalist case. America will persist and grow and continue to dominate, if it welcomes in as many millions of randos and fugitives as it can find.
What happened during the gold rush era?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2022, 06:17 AM   #40
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
What happened during the gold rush era?

Because the current situation in the US is exactly like the gold rush era.

Sometimes when I hear citizens of foreign nations passionately lobby for massive illegal immigration to the US, I wonder what their underlying motives might be. Probably they figure it will improve the US to have more unemployed, homeless, poorly educated, and criminal elements dumped on out streets.

Last edited by Warp12; 26th September 2022 at 06:27 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics