IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 27th June 2022, 08:47 AM   #1
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Praying on the 50-yard line - Supreme Court decision

Supreme Court further erodes separation between church and state in case of praying football coach
(It's tough to decide where to put these types of threads. Social Issues and Current Events? Religion and Philosophy? I figured since the Supreme Court is one of the three branches of the United States Government, USA Politics is probably the most appropriate area.)

I think this is going to have some unintended consequences. However, I think it would be kind of neat to see the Christians kneeling, the Muslims prone praying, the Baptists holding a revival, and the Satanists do whatever they do -- all at the same time on the 50-yard line after a game. For the record I think it's sort of OK, as long as all religions (or "no" religions) are allowed. (Ain't gonna happen, I know.) A problem being -- are the students encouraged/expected to be out there with him, and ostracized or sanctioned if not?

I see that "Church of Satan" is trending on Twitter. Funny how so many people can consider the implications when I don't think the SC did.

Last edited by alfaniner; 27th June 2022 at 08:57 AM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 08:55 AM   #2
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Re: where to put thread: we need a new forum called Approaching Dystopia. Next Supreme Court challenge: "Maybe it's time to revisit those 13th and 14th amendments..."

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 09:13 AM   #3
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Supreme Court further erodes separation between church and state in case of praying football coach
(It's tough to decide where to put these types of threads. Social Issues and Current Events? Religion and Philosophy? I figured since the Supreme Court is one of the three branches of the United States Government, USA Politics is probably the most appropriate area.)

I think this is going to have some unintended consequences. However, I think it would be kind of neat to see the Christians kneeling, the Muslims prone praying, the Baptists holding a revival, and the Satanists do whatever they do -- all at the same time on the 50-yard line after a game. For the record I think it's sort of OK, as long as all religions (or "no" religions) are allowed. (Ain't gonna happen, I know.) A problem being -- are the students encouraged/expected to be out there with him, and ostracized or sanctioned if not?

I see that "Church of Satan" is trending on Twitter. Funny how so many people can consider the implications when I don't think the SC did.
It's hard to tell what the Church of Satan would do in this situation, but if there's something hilarious that would show the hypocrisy, they'll find it.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 09:17 AM   #4
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
It's hard to tell what the Church of Satan would do in this situation, but if there's something hilarious that would show the hypocrisy, they'll find it.
Tantric ritual sex on the 50 yard line wearing those snazzy goat heads, duh. Pretty sure they already do that in Philly, though.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 09:21 AM   #5
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Tantric ritual sex on the 50 yard line wearing those snazzy goat heads, duh. Pretty sure they already do that in Philly, though.
Well, I think the hard part to do anything that would be entertaining is that the high school players appear to be concerned that not praying would cost them playing time. Which is troubling, but our current court doesn't give a **** about rights or separating them at this point.

I don't think any students will rock the boat, which will just leave the CoS with little opportunities. Though I hope they can figure something out.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 09:27 AM   #6
Warp12
King of Kings

Yeah, I don't see this ruling as highly controversial. The level of outrage people might express probably depends on their feelings about the particular religion that is referenced.
Old 27th June 2022, 09:30 AM   #7
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

A citizen's womb is the state's business, but what state employees do on state dime on state property is not the state's business. Makes perfect sense.
Old 27th June 2022, 10:01 AM   #8
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War

Rather difficult when five of them have their heads jammed so far up their butts that they've never seen the sun shine.
Old 27th June 2022, 10:05 AM   #9
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Re: where to put thread: we need a new forum called Approaching Dystopia. Next Supreme Court challenge: "Maybe it's time to revisit those 13th and 14th amendments..."
Amen.

………..

As for CoS, if it were me, I’d just hold up a bright light (to honor Lucifer). It is completely innocuous and I think the Baptists would be annoyed.

…….
Sotomayor wrote in her minority opinion that it was "unprecedented" for the court to hold that Kennedy's conduct, "taken as a whole, did not raise cognizable" concerns of coercion.

I have a hunch we are going to hear the word unprecedented in a lot of upcoming minority decisions.

Last edited by Ladewig; 27th June 2022 at 10:14 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 10:20 AM   #10
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Yeah, I don't see this ruling as highly controversial. The level of outrage people might express probably depends on their feelings about the particular religion that is referenced.
Something tells me you aren't familiar with the issue. It's like a lot of these church-state-school issues. The players are pressured into joining in the spectacle.

This is not about praying to one's false god (they are all false gods). It's about proselytizing at a school event. Otherwise why do it it the middle of the field during a game? And why is it an individual rights issue? It should be a school admin decision.

On another note, you can bet school prayer is next. These SCOTUS fundies are on a roll.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 27th June 2022 at 10:21 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 10:21 AM   #11
rdwight
Graduate Poster

I don't like how the description of what was happening, and the facts of what was actually happening do not match. For those that follow the court more closely, is this an anomaly or this happens more often then people are aware of? I feel we have to accept different interpretations of how text is applied to different cases, even if its justification for a preconceived end point. That seems quite different than the highest court inaccurately describing what is going on and ruling on that.
rdwight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 10:52 AM   #12
Mojo
Mostly harmless

I think this is going to have some unintended consequences. However, I think it would be kind of neat to see the Christians kneeling…

Not according to Matthew 6:5-6.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 11:22 AM   #13
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder if the decision would have been the same if, say, a Muslim coach had unrolled a prayer rug and faced east.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 11:23 AM   #14
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
I wonder if the decision would have been the same if, say, a Muslim coach had unrolled a prayer rug and faced east.

I bet if it had been the same, you wouldn't be hearing the same uproar from the current group expressing their discontent.

Last edited by Warp12; 27th June 2022 at 11:27 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 11:30 AM   #15
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

It's only a reversal of multiple precedents going back to 1962 by a Christian Nationalist court. No biggie.
Old 27th June 2022, 11:43 AM   #16
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

I bet if it had been the same, you wouldn't be hearing the same uproar from the current group expressing their discontent.
You don't think a school system has a right to determine what a coach can say and do in his official capacity at a school event at a school facility with students? You think that might not open some cans of worms?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 11:49 AM   #17
Warp12
King of Kings

You don't think a school system has a right to determine what a coach can say and do in his official capacity at a school event at a school facility with students? You think that might not open some cans of worms?

What I think is exactly what I stated. What the school system has a right to do does not change that opinion.
Old 27th June 2022, 12:20 PM   #18
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

You would be hearing very loud complaints from the hypocritical Evangelicals and other hypocritical Christians, and for that matter, a whole bunch of other Americans who don't get the reason for separation of church and state.

Some of the rest of us would be snickering.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 27th June 2022 at 12:21 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 12:56 PM   #19
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

Well, at least this whole thing gave the coach a new career posing kneeling in various places for pictures to put in articles.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 12:59 PM   #20
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
Well, at least this whole thing gave the coach a new career posing kneeling in various places for pictures to put in articles.
...just drumming my fingers till the memes with the coach kneeling in front of a priest come out...

Old 27th June 2022, 01:09 PM   #21
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Nice dodge.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 01:10 PM   #22
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

...just drumming my fingers till the memes with the coach kneeling in front of a priest come out...
FUndy evangelicals like the coach and the Catholic Church don't like each other very much, though.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 01:18 PM   #23
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Re: Suggestion for a meme of the coach kneeling in front of a priest...
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
FUndy evangelicals like the coach and the Catholic Church don't like each other very much, though.
How about one of him kneeling in front of Trump? Or Putin?

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 01:29 PM   #24
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Trust me, the US has its own version of Catholicism. There is plenty of clergy who openly called for supporting right-wing politicians and policies. Georgetown and Notre Dame have become pipelines for far-right Catholics (or tradcaths) to implement right-wing evangelical policy in the government. Thomas, Alito, Roberts, Kavanaugh, and Baret are all Catholic.
Old 27th June 2022, 01:33 PM   #25
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
I think that it doesn't matter to six Supreme Court justices who are determined to turn this country over to the Christian Taliban.
Old 27th June 2022, 02:14 PM   #26
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

I think one of the issues is that when it is a Christian coach in a (sort of ) christian-majority country (or region), students at the school might feel pressure to "go with the group" and adopt their little sky-daddy ritual.

A Muslim coach probably wouldn't provide the same pressure to conform, since Muslims make up a signficantly smaller portion of the population (so you can't force students to "go with the group".)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 03:27 PM   #27
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Discussion of inconvenient or embarrassing but factual aspects of American history: illegal.

Tacit endorsement of a specific religion: protected.

Just keeping score...
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 03:56 PM   #28
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I think one of the issues is that when it is a Christian coach in a (sort of ) christian-majority country (or region), students at the school might feel pressure to "go with the group" and adopt their little sky-daddy ritual.

A Muslim coach probably wouldn't provide the same pressure to conform, since Muslims make up a signficantly smaller portion of the population (so you can't force students to "go with the group".)

Also, a Muslim coach probably wouldn't want to make a spectacle of themselves or their religion at all in the first place. I have never in my life had a Muslim talk to me about their religion in any way, or try and convert me. They don't knock on doors, send literature, put fliers on peoples' car windshields or do anything else.

They seem respectful and content to have their religion regardless of what others think. Maybe they are just afraid of the crazy intolerant Christians?

Why can't Christians just shut the **** up like everyone else? Gawdamn they are annoying. Ya I came here just to say that.
Old 27th June 2022, 04:14 PM   #29
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Why can't Christians just shut the **** up like everyone else?
Oh, didn't you know?

According to Gorsuch, who wrote the opinion, all he was doing was a "quiet, private prayer"

Of course, Sotomayer included a picture of this "quiet, private prayer" that included all the guys from the football team praying along with him.

It's bad enough that they can't shut up, but the level of dishonesty is mind-boggling.

Just like Jan 6 was just a normal tour through the Capital.

It's one thing for them to lie, but that supreme court jusitices just go right along with it.
Old 27th June 2022, 04:16 PM   #30
Warp12
King of Kings

Also, a Muslim coach probably wouldn't want to make a spectacle of themselves or their religion at all in the first place.
Why can't Christians just shut the **** up like everyone else? Gawdamn they are annoying. Ya I came here just to say that.
Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
It's bad enough that they can't shut up, but the level of dishonesty is mind-boggling.

Just like Jan 6 was just a normal tour through the Capital.

It's one thing for them to lie, but that supreme court jusitices just go right along with it.

Just like I said.

Last edited by Warp12; 27th June 2022 at 04:19 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 04:17 PM   #31
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Just like I said.
Try me.

Where is the Muslim coach pulling the same crap?
Old 27th June 2022, 04:24 PM   #32
Warp12
King of Kings

Try me.

Where is the Muslim coach pulling the same crap?

You are missing the point. Clearly this isn't just about the law for some folks. They just can't stand Christians. Just read the rhetoric that I quoted.
Old 27th June 2022, 04:28 PM   #33
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

It is now apparently legal to force students to pray with you, on school property, during school hours. Welcome to the Theocratic States of America.

Which Religion do people think will come out on top as the state religion?

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 04:42 PM   #34
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

You are missing the point. Clearly this isn't just about the law for some folks. They just can't stand Christians. Just read the rhetoric that I quoted.
What rhetoric?

Gorsuch claimed he lost his job because of a "quiet, private prayer"

It's nonsense. He wasn't doing a quiet nor private prayer.

It's not about not standing Christians, its about not standing lying pieces of crap.

I get that you like people who lie (you are a Trump supporter), but as I said, show me a Muslim who does the same thing and you'll see it's not a Christian thing.
Old 27th June 2022, 04:45 PM   #35
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by pgwenthold
It's not about not standing Christians, its about not standing lying pieces of crap.

I get that you like people who lie (you are a Trump supporter), but as I said, show me a Muslim who does the same thing and you'll see it's not a Christian thing.

Your comments expressed a clear disdain for Christians (as I quoted). And I am not a Trump supporter, not that it would matter.

Last edited by Warp12; 27th June 2022 at 04:47 PM.
Old 27th June 2022, 04:52 PM   #36
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Your comments expressed a clear disdain for Christians (as I quoted). And I am not a Trump supporter, not that it would matter.
As I said, show me Muslims who act the same way and you will see its not a disdain for Christians, just ********. And more importantly, lying ********.
Old 27th June 2022, 04:52 PM   #37
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Poster imagines themself an edgy contrarian; they are neither.
Old 27th June 2022, 05:09 PM   #38
Warp12
King of Kings

As I said, show me Muslims who act the same way and you will see its not a disdain for Christians, just ********. And more importantly, lying ********.

Well, if that is the case then agreeing that Christians need to "shut the **** up" is probably not the best way to deliver that message, right? Sorry if I misinterpreted your intended meaning...but it seemed very much in agreement with the prior anti-Christian sentiment expressed.

I think my interpretation was reasonable.

Last edited by Warp12; 27th June 2022 at 05:12 PM.
Old 27th June 2022, 05:23 PM   #39
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

As long as the Christers try to force their religion down my throat, I will respond with disdain and contempt.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 27th June 2022, 05:26 PM   #40
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Also, a Muslim coach probably wouldn't want to make a spectacle of themselves or their religion at all in the first place. I have never in my life had a Muslim talk to me about their religion in any way, or try and convert me. They don't knock on doors, send literature, put fliers on peoples' car windshields or do anything else.

They seem respectful and content to have their religion regardless of what others think. Maybe they are just afraid of the crazy intolerant Christians?

Christians have a right to preach what they beleive in, like any any other American, but they have NO right to force other people to listen to them.
And that si the problem, too many Xtians think they should have the right to compell people to listen to their sermons.
In other words, they have the right to stand on their soapboxes and preach their nonsense, but they have NO right to compel passerbys to stop and listen. Too many Christians think they do.

Robert Heinlein.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics