IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 30th June 2022, 04:33 PM   #81
Warp12
King of Kings
 
Warp12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 6,506
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Your "I'm not a Trump supporter" schtick got old a long time ago. We know pee from rain when we see it.

I'm not a Trump supporter. I'm hoping this committee sinks him sooner than later, and with solid evidence, not tabloid-quality gossip.
__________________
Tell them Johnny Wadd is here.

Last edited by Warp12; 30th June 2022 at 04:34 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2022, 04:34 PM   #82
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 26,713
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Pat Cipollone,formeraly an attorney for Trump, has been supoened by the commitee.
This should be interesting. What people don't do can be just as illuminating as what the actually do. Refusing to appear before the J6C or pulling a Flynn's 5th Symphony say a lot. And none of it is good for Trump.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2022, 04:43 PM   #83
slyjoe
Illuminator
 
slyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Near Harmonica Virgins, AZ
Posts: 3,330
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Pat Cipollone,formeraly an attorney for Trump, has been supoened by the commitee.
Just a nit - he was the White House Counsel, actually representing the WH. He was not an attorney for Trump.
__________________
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2022, 04:48 PM   #84
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 22,279
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
This should be interesting. What people don't do can be just as illuminating as what the actually do. Refusing to appear before the J6C or pulling a Flynn's 5th Symphony say a lot. And none of it is good for Trump.
We're not supposed to make judgements about guilt and innocence when people invoke their fifth amendment rights (although notably, The Fat Orange Turd did just that) but Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ! When Mike Flynn, a former general in the US Army, takes the fifth when asked if he believes in the peaceful transfer of power, you have to reconsider that way of thinking!
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2022, 04:54 PM   #85
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 26,713
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
I'm not a Trump supporter. I'm hoping this committee sinks him sooner than later, and with solid evidence, not tabloid-quality gossip.
Uh-huh.

Which of the following has Trump claimed "I don't know/I hardly know/never met/don't know anything about " when he actually has/does? Fill in the blank:____

a) Lev Parnas
b) Gordan Sondland
c) Jeffrey Epstein
d) George Conway
e) George Papadopoulos
f) Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman
g) Matthew Whitaker
h) Paul Manafort
i) Stormy Daniels
j) William Taylor
k) Marie Yovanovitch
l) Anthony Scaramucci
m) Rachel Crooks
n) Serge F. Kovaleski
o) Bob Casey
p) Vladimir Putin
q) All the above
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2022, 04:57 PM   #86
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 26,713
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
We're not supposed to make judgements about guilt and innocence when people invoke their fifth amendment rights (although notably, The Fat Orange Turd did just that) but Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ! When Mike Flynn, a former general in the US Army, takes the fifth when asked if he believes in the peaceful transfer of power, you have to reconsider that way of thinking!
Not supposed to, but we do ...and for a very good reason.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2022, 05:28 PM   #87
ZiprHead
Muse
 
ZiprHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sag-Nasty
Posts: 782
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
People should keep in mind the right wing is knowingly using this business about hearsay, especially the focus on supposed Suburban incident to distract from the actual issue: there is a lot of evidence of pre-planning and what Drumpf's fantasy plan* was leading a 'army' into Congress so he could stop the certification process Pence wouldn't stop.
The best way to refute hearsay is to testify in court, under oath. Yet so many do not want to do that.
__________________
When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2022, 05:39 PM   #88
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 56,301
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
We're not supposed to make judgements about guilt and innocence when people invoke their fifth amendment rights (although notably, The Fat Orange Turd did just that) but Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ! When Mike Flynn, a former general in the US Army, takes the fifth when asked if he believes in the peaceful transfer of power, you have to reconsider that way of thinking!

I remember that footage of a Mafia boss on the stand during a congressional investigation into organized crime who took the fifth for almost every question he was asked. What were people supposed to think.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2022, 05:41 PM   #89
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 56,301
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Uh-huh.

Which of the following has Trump claimed "I don't know/I hardly know/never met/don't know anything about " when he actually has/does? Fill in the blank:____

a) Lev Parnas
b) Gordan Sondland
c) Jeffrey Epstein
d) George Conway
e) George Papadopoulos
f) Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman
g) Matthew Whitaker
h) Paul Manafort
i) Stormy Daniels
j) William Taylor
k) Marie Yovanovitch
l) Anthony Scaramucci
m) Rachel Crooks
n) Serge F. Kovaleski
o) Bob Casey
p) Vladimir Putin
q) All the above
Man, he has a bad memory.....
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2022, 05:42 PM   #90
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 56,301
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Your "I'm not a Trump supporter" schtick got old a long time ago. We know pee from rain when we see it.
Warp is not the only one doing this shtick.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2022, 05:45 PM   #91
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 26,713
Trump on Newsmax about Hutchinson:

Quote:
"This lady, yesterday — is there something wrong with her? She said I jumped from a car, I started strangling a Secret Service agent? I grabbed the steering wheel of a car? Said I wanted guns at my rally? I didn't want guns. I have to speak, too."
Lie. She never said any of that.

Quote:
"The woman is living in fantasy land," said Trump.
Every accusation is an admission.

Quote:
"She's a social climber, if you call that social.
Now he's confusing Hutchinson with his wife.

Quote:
I think it's just a shame that this is happening to this country, and we don't have any Republicans up there to dispute it. We have one who quit [Adam] Kinzinger, we have another one who's down by 35 points in Wyoming [Rep. Liz Cheney]. "
And whose fault is that, Numbnutz?

Quote:
She's a total disaster, she's a train wreck, but think of it. Nobody to cross-examine.
Every accusation is an admission.

Quote:
"They put her on, and they don't even confirm it with the Secret Service. The Secret Service people in the car said this didn't happen, but you don't even need that.
No, the SS has not denied it. One reporter said a source told him they denied it

Quote:
Who would do that? I would grab a Secret Service person by the throat?"
Why not? You're a frigging mental case. I can totally see you doing that.



Quote:
Trump also slammed Hutchinson personally, pointing out that she was a "big Trump fan" who wanted to work for him in Florida after he left the White House but "we chose not to bring her down."
I thought you barely knew who she was?

Quote:
"Numerous people called up, said she's not good," Trump said. "I won't say why she's not good but there's plenty of reasons. She was not respected by the people in the White House, and they thought she shouldn't go down."I was going down to Florida with a group of people. A great group of people, patriots, her name was thrown out there and they said, 'Keep away from her.' They said bad things about her."
Sure, Donnie. And you're naturally that lovely shade of orange. Did all these people start their denunciations of her with "Sir,"?

Quote:
Trump added that he "hardly knows who she is," but then he saw her "getting up and she's making up stories, one after another, and the craziest of all was that I tried to commandeer a car with Secret Service agents, telling them to take us down to the Capitol. It was totally false, that a person can get away with it."
Your denial is evidence it happened, you sack of ....

Quote:
Further, he said, the mainstream media does not talk about how Hutchinson was "discredited."

"It's a bad thing that this was allowed to take place, in our country, that somebody can just get there without cross-examination and with no Republicans on the committee, which I think was a mistake … they have to ask her, Why did you want to go so badly with the Trump organization to Florida? She was all set to go, and then we determined that we didn't want her."
Uh-huh. Right.

Quote:
He said he hopes the Secret Service agents can testify, but meanwhile, with Hutchinson,
They certainly can. I'm sure the J6C would be thrilled to be able to ask them questions directly under oath.
Quote:
"she's got serious problems, let me put it that way. Mental problems."
Not enough laughing emojis for that one!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2022, 05:46 PM   #92
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 26,713
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Man, he has a bad memory.....
Wrong! He has one of the greatest memories of all time!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2022, 05:50 PM   #93
stanfr
Master Poster
 
stanfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,256
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Not supposed to, but we do ...and for a very good reason.
Well we do unfortunately have an adversarial legal system where the goal is not to discover the truth, but to win. So with the Miranda admonition that "anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law" the prudent thing to do almost always is to shut up, since the opposition will stop at nothing to turn your words against you. But when a pattern emerges of people who are clearly involved in suspicious activity all conveniently refusing to speak under oath, it certainly seems suggestive of a scheme to avoid prosecution. The irony is that T himself will never invoke the fifth--you heard it here first! He is incapable of shutting up; if a lawyer tells him to that lawyer will quickly lose his job. He will simply continue to lie, say that all of his actions were "perfect" and rely on his status and power to avoid repercussions. It has worked so far, one wonders how long he can sustain it.
stanfr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2022, 05:59 PM   #94
Warp12
King of Kings
 
Warp12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 6,506
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Your "I'm not a Trump supporter" schtick got old a long time ago. We know pee from rain when we see it.
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Warp is not the only one doing this shtick.

I'm going to suggest that if you are confident that I am a "Trump supporter", the others you also suspect may not be Trump supporters at all. I have only seen a few around this place that I would consider such.
__________________
Tell them Johnny Wadd is here.

Last edited by Warp12; 30th June 2022 at 06:05 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2022, 06:02 PM   #95
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 26,713
Originally Posted by stanfr View Post
Well we do unfortunately have an adversarial legal system where the goal is not to discover the truth, but to win. So with the Miranda admonition that "anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law" the prudent thing to do almost always is to shut up, since the opposition will stop at nothing to turn your words against you. But when a pattern emerges of people who are clearly involved in suspicious activity all conveniently refusing to speak under oath, it certainly seems suggestive of a scheme to avoid prosecution. The irony is that T himself will never invoke the fifth--you heard it here first! He is incapable of shutting up; if a lawyer tells him to that lawyer will quickly lose his job. He will simply continue to lie, say that all of his actions were "perfect" and rely on his status and power to avoid repercussions. It has worked so far, one wonders how long he can sustain it.
I agree. A good prosecutor can get a defendant to become so flustered that no matter what they say, it looks like they're lying or backtracking.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2022, 06:13 PM   #96
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 92,453
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
If you had to pick just one piece of evidence from her testimony as being the most solid and significant, what would it be?
The fact there was a lot of pre-planning the insurrection a week out that involved everything from the fake electors to Drumpf calling Stone who I imagine there is evidence Stone was the go-between with the Proud Boys and Oathkeepers
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2022, 06:20 PM   #97
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 92,453
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
That is not solid testimony, imo.

"But another leading reason and likely...". That sounds like her interpretation, and nothing more.

She heard "something to the effect of"...while "in the vicinity of"...again, not very solid.

Like I said, could all be true...but sounds like gossip more than hard facts without something to bolster her account. Maybe she will get a book deal, though. It's all got a "juicy" ring to it.

I can see why some may not find her testimony convincing.
"To the effect" and "in the vicinity" was as accurate as you can get without remembering complete quotes. You want exact quotes?

Or do you just need a man to be included?

She was very credible, sorry. That's just a fact.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2022, 06:27 PM   #98
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 92,453
Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
The best way to refute hearsay is to testify in court, under oath. Yet so many do not want to do that.
Did you miss my point?

Crying "hearsay" and focusing on the account of Drumpf grabbing the steering wheel are purposeful, talking-points-memo distractions. Don't let yourself be distracted.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2022, 04:08 PM   #99
slyjoe
Illuminator
 
slyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Near Harmonica Virgins, AZ
Posts: 3,330
Looks like more secret service agents are coming out, at least to CNN.

Quote:
Like Hutchinson, one source, a longtime Secret Service employee, told CNN that the agents relaying the story described Trump as “demanding” and that the former President said something similar to: “I’m the f**king President of the United States, you can’t tell me what to do.” The source said he originally heard that kind of language was used shortly after the incident.

“He had sort of lunged forward – it was unclear from the conversations I had that he actually made physical contact, but he might have. I don’t know,” the source said. “Nobody said Trump assaulted him; they said he tried to lunge over the seat – for what reason, nobody had any idea.”
https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/01/polit...ent/index.html
__________________
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2022, 04:47 PM   #100
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 26,713
The only one claiming Hutchinson said Trumpie 'assaulted' anyone is Trumpie:

Trumpie: "She said I jumped from a car, I started strangling a Secret Service agent? "

Hutchinson: ""The president reached up towards the front of the vehicle to grab at the steering wheel," she said during her testimony. "Mr. Engel grabbed his arm, said, 'Sir, you need to take your hand off the steering wheel, we're going back to the West Wing, we're not going to the Capitol.' Mr. Trump then used his free hand to lunge towards Bobby Engel," Hutchinson said, adding that Ornato "motioned towards his clavicles" when recounting the story."

Apparently, it was The Beast and not a regular SUV:

Quote:
"I noticed the head of Mr. Trump's security detail sitting in a chair, looking somewhat discombobulated, a little lost," Hutchinson testified. "I looked at Tony, he said, 'Did you effing hear what happened in the Beast?' I said, 'No, Tony, I just got back, what happened?'

"Tony proceeded to tell me that when the president got in the Beast, he was under the impression from Mr. Meadows that the off-the-record movement to the Capitol was still possible and likely to happen but that Bobby had more information," Hutchinson continued.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2022, 05:05 PM   #101
slyjoe
Illuminator
 
slyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Near Harmonica Virgins, AZ
Posts: 3,330
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
The only one claiming Hutchinson said Trumpie 'assaulted' anyone is Trumpie:

Trumpie: "She said I jumped from a car, I started strangling a Secret Service agent? "

Hutchinson: ""The president reached up towards the front of the vehicle to grab at the steering wheel," she said during her testimony. "Mr. Engel grabbed his arm, said, 'Sir, you need to take your hand off the steering wheel, we're going back to the West Wing, we're not going to the Capitol.' Mr. Trump then used his free hand to lunge towards Bobby Engel," Hutchinson said, adding that Ornato "motioned towards his clavicles" when recounting the story."

Apparently, it was The Beast and not a regular SUV:
She is incorrect - there was video. He was in an SUV.

ETA: Or the SS agent misspoke.
__________________
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2022, 05:10 PM   #102
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!
 
Mike!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Posts: 47,267
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
The only one claiming Hutchinson said Trumpie 'assaulted' anyone is Trumpie:

Trumpie: "She said I jumped from a car, I started strangling a Secret Service agent? "

Hutchinson: ""The president reached up towards the front of the vehicle to grab at the steering wheel," she said during her testimony. "Mr. Engel grabbed his arm, said, 'Sir, you need to take your hand off the steering wheel, we're going back to the West Wing, we're not going to the Capitol.' Mr. Trump then used his free hand to lunge towards Bobby Engel," Hutchinson said, adding that Ornato "motioned towards his clavicles" when recounting the story."

Apparently, it was The Beast and not a regular SUV:
Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
She is incorrect - there was video. He was in an SUV.

ETA: Or the SS agent misspoke.
Maybe it's like a four wheeled version of Air Force One, and whatever vehicle he's in is called, "The Beast"?
__________________
"Never judge a man until you’ve walked a mile in his shoes...
Because then it won't really matter, you’ll be a mile away and have his shoes."
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2022, 05:41 PM   #103
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 26,713
Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
She is incorrect - there was video. He was in an SUV.

ETA: Or the SS agent misspoke.
No, it was the Beast. Compare the pics.




Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Maybe it's like a four wheeled version of Air Force One, and whatever vehicle he's in is called, "The Beast"?
There is more than one Beast but it's a title given to a specific type of car, not just any car the POTUS is riding in.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2022, 06:02 PM   #104
slyjoe
Illuminator
 
slyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Near Harmonica Virgins, AZ
Posts: 3,330
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
No, it was the Beast. Compare the pics.


http://www.internationalskeptics.com...f9435e8a02.jpg



There is more than one Beast but it's a title given to a specific type of car, not just any car the POTUS is riding in.


There is a much clearer picture at this twitter link:
https://twitter.com/josh_wingrove/st...610048/photo/1

ETA: I would also argue anyone interested should watch the video of the vehicle leaving the ellipse. The tail end of the sure looks like an SUV to me.
__________________
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade

Last edited by slyjoe; 1st July 2022 at 06:11 PM.
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2022, 06:50 PM   #105
ZiprHead
Muse
 
ZiprHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sag-Nasty
Posts: 782
Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
There is a much clearer picture at this twitter link:
https://twitter.com/josh_wingrove/st...610048/photo/1

ETA: I would also argue anyone interested should watch the video of the vehicle leaving the ellipse. The tail end of the sure looks like an SUV to me.
It's a Chevy Suburban, obviously armored.
__________________
When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2022, 07:53 PM   #106
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 15,764
Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
It's a Chevy Suburban, obviously armored.
Yep.
Quote:
The use of the large sport utility vehicles for transporting the President and Vice President began in the early 2000s. Now they are a largely interchangeable staple, along with iconic Beast limousines, for many of POTUS' and VPOTUS' trips.
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...tial-limousine
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2022, 08:24 PM   #107
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 22,279
Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
Looks like more secret service agents are coming out, at least to CNN.



https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/01/polit...ent/index.html
Whether these comments are from people supporting what Ms Hutchinson said, or whether they oppose what she said, is neither here nor there. Even if they are first hand accounts made by people who were there at the time, they don't mean squat unless those people come forward and make those comments as testiony under oath.
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2022, 08:44 PM   #108
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing
 
alfaniner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Sorth Dakonsin
Posts: 27,076
I can't believe we've only been shown the one video of the SUV leaving. I'd think it would be one of the most phone-recorded things ever. You can see some vague movement but I'm sure there must be better footage somewhere.
__________________
Science is self-correcting.
Woo is self-contradicting.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2022, 10:30 PM   #109
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing
 
Babbylonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 13,945
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Whether these comments are from people supporting what Ms Hutchinson said, or whether they oppose what she said, is neither here nor there. Even if they are first hand accounts made by people who were there at the time, they don't mean squat unless those people come forward and make those comments as testiony under oath.
Even if they do come forward in public to say that her story wasn't true, it doesn't make Hutchinson a liar. After all, she was repeating what she was told and didn't claim to witness that particular incident. Given the anonymous information provided CNN, I'd call the story "tentatively confirmed."
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2022, 10:39 PM   #110
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 26,713
Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
It's a Chevy Suburban, obviously armored.
I think you're right after all. Car identification is not one of my strong points. To me it's a Big Black Car.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2022, 10:54 PM   #111
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 18,587
I would be surprised if, asking around other (non ss) White House employees, it wasn't normal to call whatever SS car POTUS is in "the Beast".
they only need to know which car of the convoy he is in, not the make and model.
__________________
"The only true paradise is paradise lost"
Marcel Proust
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2022, 11:42 PM   #112
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 92,453
Too many posts sidetracked by irrelevant stuff. I'm telling you it's a talking-points-memo sent out by the GOP to use as a distraction from the issues that matter:
Drumpf knew the crowd was armed.
He wanted them to march on the Capitol.
And he wanted to go with them.
Other important testimony, much of it we know was corroborated by Meadow's text records. I'm sure more of it is corroborated as well:
The attack on the Capitol was planned.
Drumpf was involved directly.
And a safe assumption:
Drumpf fantasized if he could just stop the certification of the EC count he would remain in power.
No need to waste time on the events in the Suburban. The GOP loves to sidetrack people with irrelevant stuff.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 1st July 2022 at 11:44 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2022, 04:24 AM   #113
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher
 
Crazy Chainsaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,070
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Too many posts sidetracked by irrelevant stuff. I'm telling you it's a talking-points-memo sent out by the GOP to use as a distraction from the issues that matter:
Drumpf knew the crowd was armed.
He wanted them to march on the Capitol.
And he wanted to go with them.
Other important testimony, much of it we know was corroborated by Meadow's text records. I'm sure more of it is corroborated as well:
The attack on the Capitol was planned.
Drumpf was involved directly.
And a safe assumption:
Drumpf fantasized if he could just stop the certification of the EC count he would remain in power.
No need to waste time on the events in the Suburban. The GOP loves to sidetrack people with irrelevant stuff.
That was Donnie Doofus's plan B. Plan A failed because BLM was prewarned of the plan, and was told to stay out of Washington DC. On the 6th of January.
Plan A was to blame the Riot on BLM, and Antifa, pressure on Pense, and possibly Declare the Insurrection Act. Without BLM and Antifa in Washington Trump's plan was well there is a term for it, that starts with C and Ends with D, and is often used by the Military, for Organized failures.
Stewart Rhodes discussed a simular attack on the Capitol in 2008 on MySpace, as he Put it, "too throw out that Dirty Muslim Obama, who isn't even American. " Stewart was a Ron Paul Waco Whacko birther from Infowars.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2022, 07:29 AM   #114
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.
 
Ladewig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 28,571
Originally Posted by Crazy Chainsaw View Post
. Without BLM and Antifa in Washington Trump's plan was well there is a term for it, that starts with C and Ends with D, and is often used by the Military, for Organized failures.
Can I buy a vowel because I have no idea what you are talking about
__________________
I lost an avatar bet to Doghouse Reilly.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2022, 08:41 AM   #115
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 92,453
Originally Posted by Crazy Chainsaw View Post
That was Donnie Doofus's plan B. Plan A failed because BLM was prewarned of the plan, and was told to stay out of Washington DC. On the 6th of January.
Plan A was to blame the Riot on BLM, and Antifa, pressure on Pense, and possibly Declare the Insurrection Act. Without BLM and Antifa in Washington Trump's plan was well there is a term for it, that starts with C and Ends with D, and is often used by the Military, for Organized failures.
Stewart Rhodes discussed a simular attack on the Capitol in 2008 on MySpace, as he Put it, "too throw out that Dirty Muslim Obama, who isn't even American. " Stewart was a Ron Paul Waco Whacko birther from Infowars.
While I don't doubt this could have been an alternate plan and that it was always planned to blame the riot on the BLM and 'antifa', so far I've not seen any evidence this was the plan.

And I don't understand why Drumpf would want to be there as opposed to being safely in the White House where he could make the same declaration. And if the riot was big enough, maybe Drumpf thought he could declare martial law, etc.

If OTOH Drumpf wanted to lead the charge into the Capitol building he could have imagined himself telling the Capitol Police to step aside and let Drumpf and his army into the building.

Is that the least bit believable? No, but neither was stopping the EC count leading to him staying in power. IOW, it was Drumpf's fantasy.

Maybe we'll find out what was discussed in the "war room" included a riot with BLM/antifa. But they haven't reliably shown up to counter-protest related demonstrations elsewhere.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 2nd July 2022 at 08:43 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2022, 08:44 AM   #116
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 92,453
Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Can I buy a vowel because I have no idea what you are talking about
It's in another thread asking something to the effect of 'Who is Mr X?'.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 2nd July 2022 at 08:50 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2022, 10:41 AM   #117
Paul2
Philosopher
 
Paul2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7,634
Originally Posted by stanfr View Post
Well we do unfortunately have an adversarial legal system where the goal is not to discover the truth, but to win.
Maybe for the defense, but not for the prosecution. If the prosecution learns that the defendant is innocent, they are obligated to drop the case, even if they think they can win it.
__________________
It's nice to be nice to the nice.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2022, 12:04 PM   #118
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing
 
alfaniner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Sorth Dakonsin
Posts: 27,076
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Too many posts sidetracked by irrelevant stuff. I'm telling you it's a talking-points-memo sent out by the GOP to use as a distraction from the issues that matter:
Drumpf knew the crowd was armed.
He wanted them to march on the Capitol.
And he wanted to go with them.
Other important testimony, much of it we know was corroborated by Meadow's text records. I'm sure more of it is corroborated as well:
The attack on the Capitol was planned.
Drumpf was involved directly.
And a safe assumption:
Drumpf fantasized if he could just stop the certification of the EC count he would remain in power.
No need to waste time on the events in the Suburban. The GOP loves to sidetrack people with irrelevant stuff.
Well, CNN has sure taken the bait. They keep leading with "SteeringWheelGate". I for one think there are better (worse) things to focus on.
__________________
Science is self-correcting.
Woo is self-contradicting.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2022, 12:50 PM   #119
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 26,713
I don't think 'steeringwheelgate' is unimportant at all: it demonstrates just how determined and serious Trump was to be driven to the Capitol and how angry he was when he wasn't.
Ketchupgate adds even more evidence to just how volatile and mentally unstable his is.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2022, 12:58 PM   #120
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 92,453
Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Well, CNN has sure taken the bait. They keep leading with "SteeringWheelGate". I for one think there are better (worse) things to focus on.
Unfortunately that not only is all too common for the news media, the GOP knows it and targets the news media market specifically.

The news media sells scandal, controversy and sensation. They don't sell 'information' so to speak. The Democrats haven't figured out how to use that to their advantage. Fortunately the J6 hearings have been sensational on their own.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:10 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.