IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 2nd July 2022, 01:16 PM   #121
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 92,453
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I don't think 'steeringwheelgate' is unimportant at all: it demonstrates just how determined and serious Trump was to be driven to the Capitol and how angry he was when he wasn't.
Ketchupgate adds even more evidence to just how volatile and mentally unstable his is.
It would be important if it weren't for the GOP pushing the denial aspect making the story about Hutchinson's cred rather than about Drumpf's outrageous behavior. Notice Drumpf pushed a straw man into the incident:
Quote:
She said I jumped from a car and I started strangling -- think of this -- I started strangling a Secret Service agent who I know very well."
That's what I'm talking about.

Fortunately a number of other people familiar with the incident or with Drumpf are coming to Hutchinson's defense.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2022, 01:21 PM   #122
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 26,791
Alyssa Griffin, the former WH Director of Strategic Communications, said on CNN that Ornato has a history of denying conversations that took place. She said she warned him about a protest outside the WH in 2020 but he later denied they'd ever had a conversation about it:

Griffin tweet:
"Tony Ornato lied about me too. During the protests at Lafayette sq in 2020, I told Mark Meadows & Ornato they needed to warn press staged there before clearing the square. Meadows replied: “we aren’t doing that.” Tony later lied &said the exchange never happened. He knows it did."

Olivia Troy also said Ornato denied a conversation about moving VP Pence from the Capitol on Jan. 6 that he had with Keith Kellogg:

Quote:
The Washington Post’s Carol D. Leonnig and Philip Rucker reported in their book last year that Ornato told senior White House official Keith Kellogg that agents planned to evacuate Pence, a plan Kellogg rejected. Ornato denied that conversation. But Politico’s Kyle Cheney now reports Ornato told the Jan. 6 committee in an interview that he incorrectly told Meadows that Pence had been evacuated already when Trump tweeted attacking Pence at 2:24 p.m.
(WAPO)
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2022, 01:27 PM   #123
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 26,791
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
It would be important if it weren't for the GOP pushing the denial aspect making the story about Hutchinson's cred rather than about Drumpf's outrageous behavior. Notice Drumpf pushed a straw man into the incident:


That's what I'm talking about.

Fortunately a number of other people familiar with the incident or with Drumpf are coming to Hutchinson's defense.
It's still important and the GOP pushing the denial aspect is backfiring on them because it's coming out that Ornato lies about conversations that he had. This strengthens Hutchinson's credibility. Trump's stawmen, which I reported earlier, are also exposed as lies because they can be compared to what Hutchinson actually said as I did here.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2022, 01:32 PM   #124
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 22,307
Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Can I buy a vowel because I have no idea what you are talking about
Cluster-******, as in past tense?
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2022, 03:31 PM   #125
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher
 
Crazy Chainsaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,071
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
While I don't doubt this could have been an alternate plan and that it was always planned to blame the riot on the BLM and 'antifa', so far I've not seen any evidence this was the plan.

And I don't understand why Drumpf would want to be there as opposed to being safely in the White House where he could make the same declaration. And if the riot was big enough, maybe Drumpf thought he could declare martial law, etc.

If OTOH Drumpf wanted to lead the charge into the Capitol building he could have imagined himself telling the Capitol Police to step aside and let Drumpf and his army into the building.

Is that the least bit believable? No, but neither was stopping the EC count leading to him staying in power. IOW, it was Drumpf's fantasy.

Maybe we'll find out what was discussed in the "war room" included a riot with BLM/antifa. But they haven't reliably shown up to counter-protest related demonstrations elsewhere.
MTG and others were telling the President to Invoke Marshal law, the only way he could do that was though the Insurrection act.
The Proud Boys were expecting Antifa, and BLM, to attack the March.
You can't declare the Insurrection act on the people you sent too attack the Capitol. Trump would have been in the Beast, he would have been surrounded by Armed Oath Keepers and Proud boys, as well as secret Service protection.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2022, 03:46 PM   #126
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 92,453
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Alyssa Griffin, the former WH Director of Strategic Communications, said on CNN that Ornato has a history of denying conversations that took place. She said she warned him about a protest outside the WH in 2020 but he later denied they'd ever had a conversation about it:

Griffin tweet:
"Tony Ornato lied about me too. During the protests at Lafayette sq in 2020, I told Mark Meadows & Ornato they needed to warn press staged there before clearing the square. Meadows replied: “we aren’t doing that.” Tony later lied &said the exchange never happened. He knows it did."

Olivia Troy also said Ornato denied a conversation about moving VP Pence from the Capitol on Jan. 6 that he had with Keith Kellogg:

(WAPO)
All this is good to discuss. The last 24-48 hours of news on CNN and MSNBC have been corroborating Hutchinson.

As long as the discussion is about the fact it did happen then it's fine. Just keep in mind it's being used to discredit Hutchinson. The difference now is, except for on Faux News, the Drumpf cult is not being any more successful than Drumpf was using the tired old claim he hardly knew Hutchinson.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2022, 05:30 PM   #127
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Coast, US
Posts: 9,269
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Alyssa Griffin, the former WH Director of Strategic Communications, said on CNN that Ornato has a history of denying conversations that took place. She said she warned him about a protest outside the WH in 2020 but he later denied they'd ever had a conversation about it:

Griffin tweet:
"Tony Ornato lied about me too. During the protests at Lafayette sq in 2020, I told Mark Meadows & Ornato they needed to warn press staged there before clearing the square. Meadows replied: “we aren’t doing that.” Tony later lied &said the exchange never happened. He knows it did."

Olivia Troy also said Ornato denied a conversation about moving VP Pence from the Capitol on Jan. 6 that he had with Keith Kellogg:

(WAPO)
To add to this, it's also been separately noted that the SS involved are somewhat infamously Trump yes men. Their credibility when it comes to any reflexive defenses of Trump, especially those which are not done while under oath, should be counted as deeply suspect.
__________________
So sayeth the crazy little dragon.
Aridas is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2022, 08:26 PM   #128
zorro99
Graduate Poster
 
zorro99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,241
Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
To add to this, it's also been separately noted that the SS involved are somewhat infamously Trump yes men. Their credibility when it comes to any reflexive defenses of Trump, especially those which are not done while under oath, should be counted as deeply suspect.
“Bobby Engel did the right thing and says, `No sir, this is a dangerous situation, we’re not taking you to the Capitol',” said Jim Helminski, a retired Secret Service official and former head of Biden’s security detail when he was vice president. “If they had [taken him], there would have undoubtedly been a potentially dangerous confrontation between the vice president and the president.”

“If the president finds Pence and they get into an argument — it really is scary,” Helminski added. “Does the vice president’s detail now protect the vice president from the presidential detail?”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...ecret-service/

Imagine if the president’s and VP’s security details had physically confronted each other at the Capitol Jan. 6. One of them would have ended up dead.
__________________
There is nothing as deceptive as an obvious fact.

Last edited by zorro99; 2nd July 2022 at 08:35 PM.
zorro99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2022, 09:00 PM   #129
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher
 
Crazy Chainsaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,071
Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
“Bobby Engel did the right thing and says, `No sir, this is a dangerous situation, we’re not taking you to the Capitol',” said Jim Helminski, a retired Secret Service official and former head of Biden’s security detail when he was vice president. “If they had [taken him], there would have undoubtedly been a potentially dangerous confrontation between the vice president and the president.”

“If the president finds Pence and they get into an argument — it really is scary,” Helminski added. “Does the vice president’s detail now protect the vice president from the presidential detail?”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...ecret-service/

Imagine if the president’s and VP’s security details had physically confronted each other at the Capitol Jan. 6. One of them would have ended up dead.
That wouldn't have been even Plausible, the Secret service was worried about the Rioters and that their could be an opportunistic assassination attempt on the President that day. They clearly knew Trump was out of control, and might do something Stupid.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2022, 09:32 PM   #130
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 18,614
Also, rule 101 in these cases is to keep POTUS and VPOTUS as far apart from each other as possible, succession etc.
Which was another reason why Trump could not be allowed to go to the Capitol that day.
__________________
"The only true paradise is paradise lost"
Marcel Proust
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2022, 07:20 AM   #131
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.
 
Ladewig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 28,575
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Cluster-******, as in past tense?
Thanks. I was familiar only with the noun form. That’s why the D threw me.
__________________
I lost an avatar bet to Doghouse Reilly.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2022, 08:27 AM   #132
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher
 
Crazy Chainsaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,071
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Also, rule 101 in these cases is to keep POTUS and VPOTUS as far apart from each other as possible, succession etc.
Which was another reason why Trump could not be allowed to go to the Capitol that day.
Also Nancy Pelosi was third in line, that means one bomb could have taken out the Top 3 in the US Government. But Trump didn't mind Compromising the National Security interests of the United States!
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2022, 02:41 PM   #133
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing
 
varwoche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 16,173
Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
Can you please use Trump's actual name instead of your simple minded insult? It's tedious having to mentally translate your posts every time I encounter one of them. I get that you don't like him very much, but having to read stupidities like "Drumpf" all the time is getting really old.

This also goes for the poster who insists on using "Fat Orange Turd" all the time. In my opinion, using a childish insult to refer to a person, even one that the poster has no respect for, simply gives ammunition to the other side.
I don't mind the occasional one-off insult. But I'm not a fan when it's ritualized.
__________________
To survive election season on a skeptics forum, one must understand Hymie-the-Robot.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2022, 02:48 PM   #134
Allen773
Graduate Poster
 
Allen773's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Cali Four Neea
Posts: 1,604
Perhaps he should be referred to by his full name of Johnny Gentle.
Allen773 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2022, 05:20 PM   #135
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 26,791
Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
“Bobby Engel did the right thing and says, `No sir, this is a dangerous situation, we’re not taking you to the Capitol',” said Jim Helminski, a retired Secret Service official and former head of Biden’s security detail when he was vice president. “If they had [taken him], there would have undoubtedly been a potentially dangerous confrontation between the vice president and the president.”

“If the president finds Pence and they get into an argument — it really is scary,” Helminski added. “Does the vice president’s detail now protect the vice president from the presidential detail?”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...ecret-service/

Imagine if the president’s and VP’s security details had physically confronted each other at the Capitol Jan. 6. One of them would have ended up dead.
It could have ended up with Trump in jail, too.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2022, 05:21 PM   #136
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 26,791
Originally Posted by Allen773 View Post
Perhaps he should be referred to by his full name of Johnny Gentle.
Or John Barron.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2022, 06:21 PM   #137
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.
 
Ladewig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 28,575
Originally Posted by Crazy Chainsaw View Post
Also Nancy Pelosi was third in line, that means one bomb could have taken out the Top 3 in the US Government. But Trump didn't mind Compromising the National Security interests of the United States!
But Trump wouldn’t consider a bomb in that situation to be a compromising of the national security interests because “they don’t want to hurt me.
__________________
I lost an avatar bet to Doghouse Reilly.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2022, 10:31 PM   #138
Lurch
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,247
Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
I don't mind the occasional one-off insult. But I'm not a fan when it's ritualized.
I'll continue to use Drumpf and the prolapsed orange anus and the orange excrescence. No one should have trouble decoding those. That POS is deserving of every heaping helping of ridicule and opprobrium directed its way. Just about the very worst from a population of a third of a billion that could possibly be hoist to the highest office in the land. If any American takes offense, then suck it up while contemplating the national insanity that shoved to the fore that splendid example of most every human vice and weakness wrapped up into one damaged individual.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2022, 11:52 PM   #139
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 22,307
Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
I'll continue to use Drumpf and the prolapsed orange anus and the orange excrescence. No one should have trouble decoding those. That POS is deserving of every heaping helping of ridicule and opprobrium directed its way. Just about the very worst from a population of a third of a billion that could possibly be hoist to the highest office in the land. If any American takes offense, then suck it up while contemplating the national insanity that shoved to the fore that splendid example of most every human vice and weakness wrapped up into one damaged individual.
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2022, 11:54 PM   #140
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"
Moderator
 
jimbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 27,428
Paraphrase from Twitter.

If we don't prosecute Trump and his co-conspirators for trying to seize power on Jan 6th, they'll prosecute us when they do.
__________________
OECD healthcare spending
Public/Compulsory Expenditure on healthcare
https://data.oecd.org/chart/60Tt

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2022, 03:46 AM   #141
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher
 
Crazy Chainsaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,071
Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
But Trump wouldn’t consider a bomb in that situation to be a compromising of the national security interests because “they don’t want to hurt me.
An Insurrection would compromise the natural Security interest of the United States and he tried one of those.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2022, 01:09 PM   #142
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 26,791
Not bringing criminal charges against Trump and his cohorts would be like the police discovering who a killer is, who conspired with him to commit the murder, having evidence of it all and then saying "Well, we know who the murderer and his helpers are and have the evidence but we're not going to charge any of them because a lot of people really like these guys."
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2022, 02:48 PM   #143
eerok
Quixoticist
 
eerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: ON Canada
Posts: 5,264
For July 4 Trump celebrates ... his grievances against the Jan6 Committee.

Trump Drops an Utterly Unhinged Harangue to Celebrate Himself on the 4th of July (dailykos.com)
Quote:
There is nothing more predictable than Donald Trump turning the focus of any and every public event or commentary to himself. He is a textbook example of a malignant narcissist for whom all attention must always be placed on him no matter what the occasion. And this 4th of July is no different.
__________________
"Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." - Oscar Wilde
eerok is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2022, 03:30 PM   #144
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning
 
a_unique_person's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for the pod bay door to open.
Posts: 44,643
Originally Posted by eerok View Post
For July 4 Trump celebrates ... his grievances against the Jan6 Committee.



Trump Drops an Utterly Unhinged Harangue to Celebrate Himself on the 4th of July (dailykos.com)
It's like groundhog Day for Trump, but every day is Festivus.
__________________
Continually pushing the boundaries of mediocrity.
Everything is possible, but not everything is probable.
“Perception is real, but the truth is not.” - Imelda Marcos
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2022, 04:44 PM   #145
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 26,791
Originally Posted by eerok View Post
For July 4 Trump celebrates ... his grievances against the Jan6 Committee.

Trump Drops an Utterly Unhinged Harangue to Celebrate Himself on the 4th of July (dailykos.com)
Pity psychiatrists can't diagnose this lunatic as having NPD and a sociopath cuz they haven't got an in-person interview. I guess they just don't have enough information without it.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2022, 05:21 PM   #146
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 18,614
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Not bringing criminal charges against Trump and his cohorts would be like the police discovering who a killer is, who conspired with him to commit the murder, having evidence of it all and then saying "Well, we know who the murderer and his helpers are and have the evidence but we're not going to charge any of them because a lot of people really like these guys."
This is exactly how policing has worked through most of US history.
__________________
"The only true paradise is paradise lost"
Marcel Proust
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2022, 06:25 PM   #147
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 26,791
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
This is exactly how policing has worked through most of US history.
SOME police have worked this way. Not all.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2022, 07:36 PM   #148
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 92,453
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Pity psychiatrists can't diagnose this lunatic as having NPD and a sociopath cuz they haven't got an in-person interview. I guess they just don't have enough information without it.
Thought it might be worth having a link to the thread where that started now that we know so much more about Drumpf despite still not having an in-person interview:

Continuation Donald Trump has 'dangerous mental illness' say psychiatry experts at Yale... Pt 3

The Yale expert psychiatrist wasn't kept on IIRC, but that's getting a bit too far off-topic.

Back to the topic of Jan 6, here's from the last page of the above thread. It's from Sept 2021, after the failed coup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Shrinks speculate on what happens if Trump wins in 2024.

https://www.salon.com/2021/10/10/wha...-nothing-good/
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
OH, NO! They haven't interviewed Trump in person so how can they possibly know he is a severely disturbed nut case? How would they possibly be able to determine that?
Originally Posted by dann View Post
This guy did interview him:
"Utterly Delusional" - Jonathan Karl On No. 45's Mental State After Leaving Office (The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, Nov 9, 2021)

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Kelly was right; they should have invoked the 25th A on Jan. 6 and Trump is utterly delusional...along with a majority of Republicans.
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
From the documentary I recommended above:

John Gartner, Ph.D:

Quote:
I actually interviewed the last living member of the ethics committee that formed the Goldwater rule and he said these were obviously wild speculations, they weren't founded in fact, and so they embarrassed the profession because they were really idle speculations and so that was why they passed that rule. He said to me, "We never intended it to be a gag order, meaning that psychiatrists could never speak up about public figures, we just didn't want them making unfounded statements."
So much for those who play the "ethical" card re: the Goldwater Rule.

Quote:
"It's being presented that 'we' are being unethical by speaking out and warning the public, when in fact I asked this question, "To whom will history be kinder? Those who spoke up during the age when Trump rose, or those who were silent?"
The most interesting thing (besides everything else) is the Colbert interview with reporter Jonathan Karl who wrote Betrayal. Karl describes Drumpf as "utterly delusional" and cites an incident where he interviewed Drumpf at Mar-a-Lago. Drumpf insisted the interview take place in the lobby as people were passing through to go to dinner. And Drumpf's biggest complaint was that the news media didn't show the supposedly huge crowd that had come to see him at the Ellipse that day.



**[sidenote] I do believe I've been proven right in that thread despite only being a lowly nurse practitioner who didn't interview Drumpf in-person.[/sidenote]

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 4th July 2022 at 07:39 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2022, 07:37 PM   #149
gnome
Penultimate Amazing
 
gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 13,314
Originally Posted by Crazy Chainsaw View Post
MTG and others were telling the President to Invoke Marshal law,
Okay, this one's just grinding my gears today.

Who the heck is Marshal?!

I believe you mean martial. I'm asking you about this because that typo is more often used by people you're clearly smarter than, and it just looks bad. Please.
__________________

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2022, 08:27 PM   #150
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 22,307
Originally Posted by gnome View Post
Okay, this one's just grinding my gears today.

Who the heck is Marshal?!

I believe you mean martial. I'm asking you about this because that typo is more often used by people you're clearly smarter than, and it just looks bad. Please.
I believe people often make that mistake because they misunderstand what martial law actually is. They use the term "marshal" because they think the word is related to title given to certain types of law enforcement officers such as US Marshals, or Town Marshals etc, rather than what it actually refers to, the military.
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2022, 08:32 PM   #151
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.
 
Ladewig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 28,575
Originally Posted by Crazy Chainsaw View Post
An Insurrection would compromise the natural Security interest of the United States and he tried one of those.
I hope your not trying to convince me the insurrection was a national security risk (with or without Trump being near Pelosi and Pence.)

My point was there is absolutely nothing anyone could say to Mr. MAGA to get him to understand that he created a national security risk and that his going to the Capitol would increase the security risk.

And yet there are still people ignorant enough to support him.
__________________
I lost an avatar bet to Doghouse Reilly.

Last edited by Ladewig; 4th July 2022 at 08:33 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2022, 08:45 PM   #152
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.
 
Ladewig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 28,575
Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
I'll continue to use Drumpf and the prolapsed orange anus and the orange excrescence. No one should have trouble decoding those. That POS is deserving of every heaping helping of ridicule and opprobrium directed its way. Just about the very worst from a population of a third of a billion that could possibly be hoist to the highest office in the land. If any American takes offense, then suck it up while contemplating the national insanity that shoved to the fore that splendid example of most every human vice and weakness wrapped up into one damaged individual.
I pity the students writing dissertations five years from now because they’ll have a devil of a time searching for posts about Trump.
__________________
I lost an avatar bet to Doghouse Reilly.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2022, 09:12 PM   #153
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 92,453
Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
I pity the students writing dissertations five years from now because they’ll have a devil of a time searching for posts about Trump.
No they won't. Search engines are capable of searching for a multitude of words and misspellings.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2022, 11:35 PM   #154
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 26,791
Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
I pity the students writing dissertations five years from now because they’ll have a devil of a time searching for posts about Trump.
Nah. Searching with key words like orange, turd, liar, SOB, socio/psychopath, nut job, whacko, delusional, insurrection, hoax, rigged, fake, etc. will all give Trump returns.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2022, 11:39 PM   #155
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF
 
Shalamar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Somewhere Else
Posts: 5,587
Originally Posted by gnome View Post
Okay, this one's just grinding my gears today.

Who the heck is Marshal?!

I believe you mean martial. I'm asking you about this because that typo is more often used by people you're clearly smarter than, and it just looks bad. Please.
I do believe that people on this forum are referring to ‘marshal(sic)’ law, because MTG herself texted and spelled it as such.
__________________

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2022, 05:49 AM   #156
dmaker
Graduate Poster
 
dmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,738
I don't often post anything said by TFG since he was kicked off Twitter, but I saw a few of his "Truths" posted over on Gab yesterday. I don't have a Truth account, but I did sign up for Gab a couple of years back to see what goes on over there, but couldn't bring myself to sign up for Truth.

But these two posts are interesting.

In the one there seems to be a confession that he suspected the crowd could be dangerous on Jan 6, but he went ahead and happily riled them up and pointed them at the Capitol anyway.

And then there is his "Oooops, I did it again" post.

Seriously, just lock him up already.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (83.2 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (78.1 KB, 74 views)
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2022, 07:21 AM   #157
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised
 
shemp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Posts: 50,521
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Thought it might be worth having a link to the thread where that started now that we know so much more about Drumpf despite still not having an in-person interview:

Continuation Donald Trump has 'dangerous mental illness' say psychiatry experts at Yale... Pt 3

The Yale expert psychiatrist wasn't kept on IIRC, but that's getting a bit too far off-topic.

Back to the topic of Jan 6, here's from the last page of the above thread. It's from Sept 2021, after the failed coup.


The most interesting thing (besides everything else) is the Colbert interview with reporter Jonathan Karl who wrote Betrayal. Karl describes Drumpf as "utterly delusional" and cites an incident where he interviewed Drumpf at Mar-a-Lago. Drumpf insisted the interview take place in the lobby as people were passing through to go to dinner. And Drumpf's biggest complaint was that the news media didn't show the supposedly huge crowd that had come to see him at the Ellipse that day.



**[sidenote] I do believe I've been proven right in that thread despite only being a lowly nurse practitioner who didn't interview Drumpf in-person.[/sidenote]
I think the most important point from your Salon link is this:

https://www.salon.com/2021/10/10/wha...-nothing-good/

Quote:
Dr. David Reiss is a psychiatrist, expert in mental fitness evaluations and contributor to "The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump."

I am totally unsurprised. But vindication does not soothe the national tragedy or my personal frustration and even bitterness (which are of much less significance) at having been ignored by those who had power to intervene.

No one could have predicted Trump's specific actions while in office or now: His specific behaviors are inherently unpredictable. But the nature of his behaviors, the irrationality of his behaviors, the immaturity of his behaviors and the dangers brought about those behaviors were all quite predictable and in fact, were predicted.

You asked: What do I think will happen to America if Trump runs for office and wins in 2024?

In my opinion, the even more frightening question is this: "What would it mean had happened to the American people and American society if Trump were returned to office in 2024?"

It would mean there had been: 1) a complete breakdown of rationality within the social order; 2) the destruction of our democratic system of elections and government; or 3) that something so horrible had transpired that all hope was lost and, due to fear and desperation, totalitarianism or fascism had been embraced.

As to what would happen afterward, it would depend upon who was actually "pulling the strings" of the totalitarian/fascist regime for which Trump was the figurehead. Trump himself, at age 78 certainly would not actually be in command. I cannot begin to predict the exact manner or type of dystopia that would be enacted. I can predict that it would be beyond our current worst nightmares.
This is what I find most frightening. That the American people may very well be so debased by the circumstances around us that they stand by and do nothing while our political and social institutions are destroyed. Or even become so desperate that they embrace totalitarianism, trading their freedom and security for bread and circuses.

Taking his three points above individually:

Quote:
1) a complete breakdown of rationality within the social order
We already see this in millions of Americans. Rationality has been broken down by incessant propaganda; a social media full of lies and nonsense; and even incredible amounts of true information, much of it negative, that overwhelms even those who have maintained their rationality. Through the Internet, the explosion of cable and satellite television, and social media platforms, we are inundated with so much information that many people cannot determine what is true and what is important. Lies mingle with truth, garbage mingles with intelligence, and people are beaten down mentally until they either succumb to the lies and garbage or they tune out completely and surround themselves with meaningless entertainment, which is just as dangerous.

Quote:
2) the destruction of our democratic system of elections and government
Which is already ongoing and looks likely to get worse. The biggest problem, in my view, is not those who are actively engaging in voter fraud, but those in the Republican establishment who are quite willing to look the other way and do nothing while the rot grows, because it suits their purposes. This is what happens when one's allegiance is to power rather than to the nation. They are willing to destroy the political system for victory, but can't see that eventually it will bring about their own demise as well.

Quote:
3) that something so horrible had transpired that all hope was lost and, due to fear and desperation, totalitarianism or fascism had been embraced
"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

The easy way out of national crisis is to give power to the despot who claims that they have all the solutions and will make things right, if you will let them handle it by destroying the minorities that they claim caused the crisis. Hitler was quite successful for awhile with this plan, killing millions of Jews and other minorities, confiscating their assets, putting Germany on a high-production war economy. Of course, it eventually had to crumble when he ran out of cannon fodder and essential commodities such as oil. But when Nazi Germany crumbled, the Western Allies wisely decided to rebuild West Germany (and Japan as well) and turned them into productive first-world nations benefitting the world economy. The Soviets, on the other hand, economically raped East Germany and turned it into a third-world hellhole.

But who will rescue the United States? Nobody. Because when the U.S. dictatorship eventually clashes in war with China, either 1. the U.S. and China will engage in nuclear holocaust, or 2. if the U.S. is defeated, there will be nobody there to pick up the pieces and rebuild like we did with Germany and China.

In summary, I'm certain that a dictatorship by Trump or a similar entity will lead to a disaster of epic proportions from which the U.S., and likely the world, will never recover. The 2022 and 2024 elections are our best chance to stop this, because once a dictatorship is established, there may be resistance, but the strength of those who will support the dictatorship will be too much to overcome.

Finally, I am reminded of a song lyric from The Housemartins:

The people who grinned themselves to death
Smiled so much, they failed to take a breath
And even when their kids were starving
They all thought the queen was charming


It's the grinners on the sidelines you need to get on your side. Get them to stop grinning and get out and VOTE!
__________________
Counting the days to Civil War II.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2022, 08:24 AM   #158
SteveAitch
Muse
 
SteveAitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: St Aines
Posts: 638
Originally Posted by gnome View Post
Okay, this one's just grinding my gears today.

Who the heck is Marshal?!

I believe you mean martial. I'm asking you about this because that typo is more often used by people you're clearly smarter than, and it just looks bad. Please.
Just be glad they don't type marital...
__________________
If this board is too exciting for you, try my Flickr pages. Warning: may cause narcolepsy!

Some people call me 'strange'. I prefer 'unconventional'. But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'...
SteveAitch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2022, 08:29 AM   #159
Donal
Illuminator
 
Donal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,908
We know the DC national guard is under the direct command of POTUS who authorizes via SecDef. That makes the "strongly suggested" bit nonsense. Do we have any documentation that any relevant party from Capitol Hill requested the guard?

I see the mayor of Washington did request the Guard earlier in the week but only for traffic flow and crowd control. They were not to be armed or conduct law enforcement activities. It looks like the relevant parties from Capitol Hill, the DoD, and the White House did not want the optics of armed National Guard troops in light of events like the gassing of peaceful protestors in Lafayette Square.

It still does not explain the complete silence from POTUS regarding deploying the Guard when crowds started moving to the Capitol.
__________________
SuburbanNerd A blog for making tech make sense

Last edited by Donal; 5th July 2022 at 08:40 AM. Reason: clarified the DC mayor's initial request.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2022, 08:31 AM   #160
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.
 
Ladewig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 28,575
Originally Posted by dmaker View Post
I don't often post anything said by TFG since he was kicked off Twitter, but I saw a few of his "Truths" posted over on Gab yesterday. I don't have a Truth account, but I did sign up for Gab a couple of years back to see what goes on over there, but couldn't bring myself to sign up for Truth.

But these two posts are interesting.

In the one there seems to be a confession that he suspected the crowd could be dangerous on Jan 6, but he went ahead and happily riled them up and pointed them at the Capitol anyway.

And then there is his "Oooops, I did it again" post.

Seriously, just lock him up already.
Those two posts illustrate he either is completely delusional or has such contempt for the truth that he couldn’t be honest if his life depended on it.

or both.
__________________
I lost an avatar bet to Doghouse Reilly.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:57 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.