IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: The raid was...
Absolutely a good thing - no question 127 77.44%
An outrage, a travesty - what about Magna Carta? Did she die in vain? 4 2.44%
I'll wait before I make a judgement thank you. 27 16.46%
Mar-X-Lago! 6 3.66%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10th August 2022, 01:34 PM   #241
ZiprHead
Muse

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Some really good tweets from that link

Jeff Yarbro
"Q: So when did the DOJ start treating removal of classified documents like a felony anyway?
A: When President Trump signed a 2018 law making it a felony."

Ron Burrow
"Republicans had 4yrs to reign in their guy and teach him how to be a president. Instead they embraced his lawlessness & put him above god in their eyes. Act like a crook, do crook things. Donít get mad when you get crook treatment!"

Andrew Weissman
"The FBI is required to give to Trump an inventory of what was found in the search; if Trump claims he had no govt property in his home and this is a witch hunt, then he should release the search inventory. Time to put up or shut up......"

Rachel Vindman
"The former president and his cronies DID try to do this to my husband so SHUT UP."

Dan Rather
"Maybe some historians can help me out here. Trying to remember what the Founding Fathers thought of a head of government who was above the law. And what they thought of those who pledged fealty to that man."
Yeah, the righties have really been making a crapstorm on Twitter. They're so easy to refute, as above.

The GOP tweeted that Biden was going to a beach on the east coast again. Numerous replies of how Trump spent almost a full year of his term at golf courses.

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2022, 01:46 PM   #242
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

The Trump appointed judge who signed the warrant is having his life threatened online. This caused his information online to be removed.

Conservative The New York Post, is already attacking the judge with a biased headline:

Judge who OK’d Mar-a-Lago raid Obama donor once linked to Jeffrey Epstein

He donated to Obama in 2008 but also donated to GOP candidates like GWB. His link to Epstein was representing some of Epstein's employees, two of whom were granted immunity for their testimony against Epstein.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2022, 02:05 PM   #243
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
The Trump appointed judge who signed the warrant is having his life threatened online. This caused his information online to be removed.
As some commenters have said : a judge signing that warrant is not going to do so lightly as it could be a career limiting decision, never mind actual death threats.
Old 10th August 2022, 02:15 PM   #244
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Well listen if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. When the day comes I'll be too happy to care about whatever crow it's super-important to make me eat.

I'll happily take all the "Itoldyasos" anyone has on the day Trump gets SOME kind of meaningful punishment.

Kind of the advantage you guys have. I don't get to gloat if I'm right because... well we will all have bigger stuff to worry about.

(Actually give me like a day to be happy. You can start on me the day after.)
I don't think anyone here is going to "start on you" if The Fat Orange Turd ends up in a matching jumpsuit behind bars. That isn't the Liberal way of behaving.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2022, 02:34 PM   #245
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
The difference between Obama and Trump:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg obama prison.jpg (71.3 KB, 50 views)
Old 10th August 2022, 02:53 PM   #246
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

Conservative The New York Post, is already attacking the judge with a biased headline:

Judge who OKíd Mar-a-Lago raid Obama donor once linked to Jeffrey Epstein

He donated to Obama in 2008 but also donated to GOP candidates like GWB. His link to Epstein was representing some of Epstein's employees, two of whom were granted immunity for their testimony against Epstein.

Say what?
Old 10th August 2022, 03:39 PM   #247
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

So in what way is it a good idea for Trump supporters to point out anyone's links to Epstein? The die hard Trumptrash don't need the excuse and everyone else knows Trump's links to Epstein or far more damaging than just about anyone's.
Old 10th August 2022, 03:43 PM   #248
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
So in what way is it a good idea for Trump supporters to point out anyone's links to Epstein? The die hard Trumptrash don't need the excuse and everyone else knows Trump's links to Epstein or far more damaging than just about anyone's.
My theory is that Trump supporters don't have good ideas.
Old 10th August 2022, 03:55 PM   #249
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Athyrio View Post
Say what?
This is what was being reported in several media sources as little as 14 hours ago.

Quote:
Who appointed Bruce Reinhart? ... Judge Bruce Reinhart was appointed to the position by Donald Trump in 2018 and began serving as a judge in 2019.
https://18livenews.com/bruce-reinhar...ened-with-him/

Quote:
Donald Trump appointed Judge Bruce Reinhart to the position, and he began serving as a judge in 2018.
https://theancestory.com/judge-bruce-reinhar/

As it turns out, he was appointed FL district judges in March 2018.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2022, 04:01 PM   #250
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
My theory is that Trump supporters don't have good ideas.
Well, not original ones anyway. They just wait for Dear Leader to tell them what to think.
Old 10th August 2022, 04:01 PM   #251
BobTheCoward
Suspended

This is what was being reported in several media sources as little as 14 hours ago.

....those are not media sources
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2022, 04:11 PM   #252
shemp

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Who the hell are you to decide what is media and what isn't?
Old 10th August 2022, 04:12 PM   #253
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

Distressing, isnít it, that every statement has to be fact checked.
Old 10th August 2022, 04:29 PM   #254
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post

Quote:
"Media" according to the Oxford language dictionary definition:

"the main means of mass communication (broadcasting, publishing, and the internet) regarded collectively."

So, yes, I'd say they are 'media sources'.
Old 10th August 2022, 04:39 PM   #255
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

WSJ reported that the search was precipitated by an informant who told them Trump still had boxes hidden in a basement that he had not turned over to the Archives as requested. Which he did and they seized (about a dozen boxes).
Old 10th August 2022, 05:10 PM   #256
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

So like Stacyhs was saying, as was reported in media sources...
Old 10th August 2022, 05:16 PM   #257
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

WSJ reported that the search was precipitated by an informant who told them Trump still had boxes hidden in a basement that he had not turned over to the Archives as requested. Which he did and they seized (about a dozen boxes).
Who has a basement in Florida?
Old 10th August 2022, 05:27 PM   #258
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Mar-a-Lago does.
Old 10th August 2022, 05:27 PM   #259
BobTheCoward
Suspended

I'm not deciding. I'm mocking those sources. They are simply bad sources.

18 live news? the ancestry?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2022, 05:28 PM   #260
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Swamp drainers

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2022, 05:32 PM   #261
arayder
Master Poster

So Trump hid this material away because?

1. He thought it might make him look bad and he couldn't stand having it show up in some government archive.

or:

2. He thought it might be the kind of evidence that might land him in jail or get him heavily fined.

or:

3. He's such a contrarian that the fact that somebody told him he had to turn the materials over was enough to set him off and make him refuse to give up the goods.
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2022, 05:33 PM   #262
shemp

No, you said they are NOT media sources. Do you just enjoy moving the goalposts?
Old 10th August 2022, 05:34 PM   #263
shemp

Originally Posted by arayder View Post

1. He thought it might make him look bad and he couldn't stand having it show up in some government archive.

or:

2. He thought it might be the kind of evidence that might land him in jail or get him heavily fined.

or:

3. He's such a contrarian that the fact that somebody told him he had to turn the materials over was enough to set him off and make him refuse to give up the goods.
Probably a combination of all three. #3 is the sort of thing an adult baby would do.
Old 10th August 2022, 05:34 PM   #264
BobTheCoward
Suspended

No, you said they are NOT media sources. Do you just enjoy moving the goalposts?
Calling a media source not a media source at all because it is so bad is intended as an insult.

Having to explain the insult is not moving goal posts.
Old 10th August 2022, 05:36 PM   #265
eerok
Quixoticist

or:

or:

It does seem bizarre for him to keep the documents despite having been warned repeatedly about them, but I think it's his ego: he thinks no one has the authority to tell him what to do, because he's never been held accountable for anything. Yet.
Old 10th August 2022, 05:37 PM   #266
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:

I acknowledged the error. Apparently, that is not good enough for some people. Do you ever get the feeling that some people just want to be contrarian for the sake of being contrary?
Old 10th August 2022, 05:37 PM   #267
shemp

Calling a media source not a media source at all because it is so bad is intended as an insult.

Having to explain the insult is not moving goal posts.
I do not think your words mean what you think they mean. Actually, I don't give a damn what you think at all. You won't be getting any more replies from me, play your games with someone else.
Old 10th August 2022, 05:40 PM   #268
BobTheCoward
Suspended

I acknowledged the error. Apparently, that is not good enough for some people. Do you ever get the feeling that some people just want to be contrarian for the sake of being contrary?
Beyond getting the fact wrong(no biggie, I get stuff wrong all the time), those both seems like really sketchy sources
Old 10th August 2022, 05:46 PM   #269
arayder
Master Poster

or:

or:

Probably a combination of all three. #3 is the sort of thing an adult baby would do.
Originally Posted by eerok View Post
It does seem bizarre for him to keep the documents despite having been warned repeatedly about them, but I think it's his ego: he thinks no one has the authority to tell him what to do, because he's never been held accountable for anything. Yet.
Consider the possibility that the materials seized make reference to possibly incriminating documents, tapes, files etc. that nobody can find.

Thus suggesting that Trump and or his cronies destroyed government documents . . .but didn't have the ability, time or desire to destroy the entire paper trail.
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2022, 06:07 PM   #270
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Guys, repeat after me:

Okay, Bob
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2022, 06:11 PM   #271
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
Guys, repeat after me:

Okay, Bob
There is another option. Just sayin'.
Old 10th August 2022, 06:16 PM   #272
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump allies are saying he declassified document before removing them from the WH and taking them to MaL. Trouble is, there is not evidence of this.
Old 10th August 2022, 06:22 PM   #273
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Breaking: FBI baffled. Only item in Trump's safe was a copy of the 1950-2000 Grays Sports Almanac.
Ha!
Old 10th August 2022, 06:40 PM   #274
ZiprHead
Muse

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
Guys, repeat after me:

Okay, Bob
Is that the new "Let's go, Brandon"?

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2022, 06:42 PM   #275
ZiprHead
Muse

Trump allies are saying he declassified document before removing them from the WH and taking them to MaL. Trouble is, there is not evidence of this.
That was explained by Malcolm Nance this morning. There is a specific process involved in declassifying records. None of that was done.

IIDB is back, baby!
Old 10th August 2022, 06:54 PM   #276
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Why don't they just say, "When the President does it, it's not illegal"?
Old 10th August 2022, 06:57 PM   #277
BobTheCoward
Suspended

Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
That was explained by Malcolm Nance this morning. There is a specific process involved in declassifying records. None of that was done.
We had this conversation on this forum before.

1) The president is not required to adhere to any declassification process. Classification is executive power, and the president can wield it and completely ignore any process derived from that power.

""

https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...y-anything-an/

2) A jury would make very negative inferences at the argument and they wouldn't be instructed to accept as fact a claim that he declassified them and didn't tell anyone.
Old 10th August 2022, 07:20 PM   #278
BobTheCoward
Suspended

Now that Trump admitted the DOJ had them lock the field away in early June, I'm excited to see the next performative defense from supporters.
Old 10th August 2022, 07:29 PM   #279
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
Is that the new "Let's go, Brandon"?
My sister had a neighbor with that sign in his front yard. It's been gone for about a month-month and a half. Maybe, just maybe, he's wised up? But, somehow, I doubt it.
Old 10th August 2022, 07:33 PM   #280
BobTheCoward
Suspended

My sister had a neighbor with that sign in his front yard. It's been gone for about a month-month and a half. Maybe, just maybe, he's wised up? But, somehow, I doubt it.
My old neighbor has that and a Kari Lake for governor sign

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics