IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Will Trump be indicted for Federal or State crimes?
Yes 62 62.00%
No 38 38.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Old 29th August 2022, 01:06 PM   #121
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 10,330
Originally Posted by DallasDad View Post
Wouldn't Brian Kemp just pardon 45?
Georgia governors do not have the power to grant pardons.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2022, 01:07 PM   #122
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 13,971
I want to see "Would you pardon Trump?" as a debate question in the 2024 Republican Presidential primaries.

Apologies if someone has already said that, haven't read the whole thread.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2022, 01:09 PM   #123
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 19,075
Re: would Kemp pardon Trump ...
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
there is no upside for Kemp - Trump would not thank him
I think it depends on the MAGAchuds. If Kemp thinks Trump supporters might sit out a state election he might pardon Trump in order to get his voters on-side (even if Trump doesn't thank him personally.)

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2022, 01:15 PM   #124
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 26,791
Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
True. But the governor appoints the members of the State Board of Pardons and Paroles who do have that power. He could indirectly have him pardoned by appointing members who would vote for a pardon. But I don't see Kemp doing that...unless he has POTUS ambitions, in which case he might to gain favor from MAGA.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2022, 02:15 PM   #125
Paul2
Philosopher
 
Paul2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7,634
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
True. But the governor appoints the members of the State Board of Pardons and Paroles who do have that power. He could indirectly have him pardoned by appointing members who would vote for a pardon. But I don't see Kemp doing that...unless he has POTUS ambitions, in which case he might to gain favor from MAGA.
They have staggered terms:

member 1, term from 2015 to 2022
member 2, term from 2016 to 2023
member 3, term from 2017 to 2024
member 4, term from 2018 to 2025
member 5, term from 2021 to 2028

if I'm reading this page correctly
__________________
It's nice to be nice to the nice.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2022, 02:31 PM   #126
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 56,301
I think the Indicitment Graham was talking about is a Federal one..that would be much, much bigger then a Georiga indictment.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2022, 08:33 PM   #127
gnome
Penultimate Amazing
 
gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 13,314
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I think the Indicitment Graham was talking about is a Federal one..that would be much, much bigger then a Georiga indictment.
I could see a potential pitfall in federal charges. That could mean a case that winds up in the Supreme Court, which might be friendlier to him than any given state court, even in a red state. Except maybe Florida.
__________________

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2022, 11:49 PM   #128
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 22,307
Originally Posted by W.D.Clinger View Post
That graphic is still showing Steve Bannon as indicted. Although Bannon was pardoned by then-President Trump before he could prove his innocence of mail fraud and money laundering in a court of law, Bannon was subsequently found guilty on two criminal charges of contempt of Congress, each implying a minimum sentence of 30 days in prison. Sentencing is scheduled for October.

You're right. I hadn't realized he had already been convicted on the CofC charges. The sheer number of criminals around Trump that are in legal jeopardy makes it hard to keep up. I will amend the graphic.

ETA: Done!
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!

Last edited by smartcooky; 30th August 2022 at 12:02 AM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2022, 12:00 AM   #129
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 22,307
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Lindsey Graham warns that there will be riots if Trump is prosecuted.
Originally Posted by arayder View Post
[CT]Trump has the goods on "Lady G" thus explaining LG's sudden turn around regarding Trump's character in 2016. Trump is fearful he going to get tried and convicted, so he sends his boy out to throw a scare into the DOJ hoping they'll be convinced not to prosecute lest they start a civil war.[/CT]
Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Considering that POS Trump has often said how much he appreciates "Law and Order", then riots in the street should be just the type of "Law and Order" that one should expect from a POS like Trump and a POS like Graham.
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Who will they blame that rioting on? Antifa? BLM? FBI plants?
Interesting take on the Leningrad Lindsey's "riots" staement, from Lawrence O'Donnell tonight.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE


Transcript of the relevant parts...
"Lindsey Graham wanted to make sure we heard him correctly 'there literally will be riots in the street'. No senator in history has ever predicted or threatened riots in the streets if a friend of that senator was prosecuted. The so-called friend in this case is Donald Trump who is an actual friend to no one, as Lindsey Graham so tragically knows. No senator in history has ever implied that if the most popular member of my party is prosecuted, there will be riots in the streets.

There won't be.

Lindsey Graham is lying. He is lying about a false equivalence between Hillary Clinton's handling of classified information while she was in office as secretary of state and Donald Trump's handling of classified information and other government records after he left office and took those records with him as a private citizen.

But Lindsey Graham is also lying about Trump supporters, and he is insulting them. If Donald Trump is indicted, seventy-four million Trump supporters will do exactly what they did when Donald Trump lost the election.... nothing! The hundreds of them who might be inclined to riot in the streets are spread out throughout the 50 states and it is possible that most of them will have already been convicted of rioting for Donald Trump at the Capitol on January 6, and the ringleaders of that riot at the capitol are all in prison. There will not be rioting in the streets in this country of 330 million people if Donald Trump is charged with a crime. No [crowd of] one million people have ever publicly gathered for Donald Trump anywhere for any reason. Seventy four million Trump voters are law-abiding people with no criminal records and no criminal intent, who have never rioted for anything and never will. If you add up every rabid Trump supporter who has ever attended a Trump rally, it doesn't come close to the number of people who marched in Washington DC alone against Donald Trump on the day after Donald Trump's inauguration. The largest protest in Washington DC history was a protest against Donald Trump. On that same day - the day after Donald Trump's inauguration, throughout the United States, and throughout the world, the largest mass protest in the history of the human race occurred against Donald Trump. In every American city that had a protest against Donald Trump on that day after his inauguration, it was the largest protest in history of that city.

They will not be coming out into the streets for Donald Trump if he is indicted."

A sober and well-reasoned assessment IMO.
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!

Last edited by smartcooky; 30th August 2022 at 12:21 AM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2022, 12:46 AM   #130
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 26,791
I disagree that there will be no rioting. Unlike Jan 6, there will be far less people and it will be disorganized, but I think it's naive to think some of his nuttier supporters won't react violently. We've seen what they're capable of.

There were a lot of protests against Trump after his election, but no rioting.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2022, 12:58 AM   #131
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: I live in a swamp
Posts: 26,142
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I disagree that there will be no rioting. Unlike Jan 6, there will be far less people and it will be disorganized, but I think it's naive to think some of his nuttier supporters won't react violently. We've seen what they're capable of.

There were a lot of protests against Trump after his election, but no rioting.
I agree. The January 6th investigations is coming up on 900 indictments. By the end of the year, I expect it will be 1000. That will give the Gravy SEALS pause. The most treasonous of the lot are starting to get real time. The enemy (and they are a domestic enemy) knows now that they can't just go home and back to their lives after the riot.

We'll see more people like the **** who attacked the FBI office in Ohio. Because that story had a happy ending, even that number will be lower.
__________________
Fight like a Ukrainian.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2022, 04:54 AM   #132
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher
 
Crazy Chainsaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,071
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I disagree that there will be no rioting. Unlike Jan 6, there will be far less people and it will be disorganized, but I think it's naive to think some of his nuttier supporters won't react violently. We've seen what they're capable of.

There were a lot of protests against Trump after his election, but no rioting.
More lone Wolf attacks than anything organized the Militias will rain in their supporters too avoid a Crack down on them.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2022, 06:43 AM   #133
ZiprHead
Muse
 
ZiprHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sag-Nasty
Posts: 785
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I disagree that there will be no rioting. Unlike Jan 6, there will be far less people and it will be disorganized, but I think it's naive to think some of his nuttier supporters won't react violently. We've seen what they're capable of.

There were a lot of protests against Trump after his election, but no rioting.
I don't think rioting will be much of a thing. I predict an uptick in terrorist activity, and probably better organised terrorism than the idiot Darwin award winner who tried to take on the FBI office.
__________________
When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2022, 09:56 AM   #134
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!
 
Mike!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Posts: 47,301
The more I think abut it, there well could be vast numbers of people taking to the streets...

...in a massive celebration.
__________________
"Never judge a man until you’ve walked a mile in his shoes...
Because then it won't really matter, you’ll be a mile away and have his shoes."
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2022, 09:57 AM   #135
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing
 
Regnad Kcin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 10,699
Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
I want to see "Would you pardon Trump?" as a debate question in the 2024 Republican Presidential primaries.
Which they would promptly sidestep.

The real question is why woke Hunter Biden leftist Critical Race Theory illegal immigrants are Second Amendment fraudulent votes elitist!

Jesus.
__________________
My heros are Alex Zanardi and Evelyn Glennie.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2022, 10:02 AM   #136
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 13,971
Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Which they would promptly sidestep.

The real question is why woke Hunter Biden leftist Critical Race Theory illegal immigrants are Second Amendment fraudulent votes elitist!

Jesus.
But it looks like one contender would definitely say no, and why would you expect some to of the likely contenders to not want to say yes?
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2022, 10:03 AM   #137
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 41,327
Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
I want to see "Would you pardon Trump?" as a debate question in the 2024 Republican Presidential primaries.
Why? It would be just as meaningful as asking Republican SCOTUS nominees if Roe is settled law.

We can stop extending the benefit of the doubt that they are honest agents in any discussion to Republicans.
__________________
"If everyone in the room says water is wet and I say it's dry that makes me smart because at least I'm thinking for myself!" - The Proudly Wrong.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2022, 10:25 AM   #138
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 19,075
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Quote:
I want to see "Would you pardon Trump?" as a debate question in the 2024 Republican Presidential primaries.
Why? It would be just as meaningful as asking Republican SCOTUS nominees if Roe is settled law.
I don't think the value of the question is because people expect an honest answer. Anti-Trumpers want the question asked because it will highlight any divides in the republican party.

Saying they will pardon Trump will make it harder for republicans to attract moderate voters in a general election. Saying they will not pardon Trump might cause at least some MAGAchuds to sit out in the general election.

When it comes to Trump, most mainstream republicans probably want to minimize any mention of him. They want the independent voters to forget they voted against impeachment, they want the MAGAchuds to silently keep supporting the republicans even if Trump isn't front and center. Bringing up the chance of a Trump pardon derails that.
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2022, 10:33 AM   #139
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 13,971
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Why? It would be just as meaningful as asking Republican SCOTUS nominees if Roe is settled law.
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I don't think the value of the question is because people expect an honest answer. Anti-Trumpers want the question asked because it will highlight any divides in the republican party.
I do think it will highlight the divides but I was thinking more of entertainment value of watching them twist in to knots. I don't agree with the other poster that this would be an easy question to side step especially if Cheney actually runs since she will answer it straightforwardly.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2022, 12:57 PM   #140
Paul2
Philosopher
 
Paul2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7,634
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
. . . . We can stop extending the benefit of the doubt that they are honest agents in any discussion to Republicans.
Fool me once, shame on you . . . .
__________________
It's nice to be nice to the nice.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2022, 02:08 PM   #141
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 22,307
Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
Fool me once, shame on you . . . .
"... Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

Only in Texas.... or Tennessee
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2022, 03:11 PM   #142
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 56,301
Originally Posted by gnome View Post
I could see a potential pitfall in federal charges. That could mean a case that winds up in the Supreme Court, which might be friendlier to him than any given state court, even in a red state. Except maybe Florida.
A state case could end up in front of the Supreme Court also.
Any case in the US can be appealed to the Supreme Court.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 30th August 2022 at 03:14 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2022, 03:34 PM   #143
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 13,971
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
A state case could end up in front of the Supreme Court also. Any case in the US can be appealed to the Supreme Court.
Only if they involve federal law.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2022, 03:43 PM   #144
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing
 
alfaniner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Sorth Dakonsin
Posts: 27,091
I'm enjoying a real "popcorn moment" today. Google denies Truth Social a place in the Play Store, ostensibly because they don't moderate their content (the TS people). I'd also guess that their inability to adhere to Google's newly enforced Privacy Policy is a big reason also. (I just had an app rejected because I had a typo in my Privacy url.)
__________________
Science is self-correcting.
Woo is self-contradicting.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2022, 04:36 PM   #145
gnome
Penultimate Amazing
 
gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 13,314
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
"... Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

Only in Texas.... or Tennessee
"Fool me twice..."
*puts on sunglasses*
"You can't get fooled again."
YEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!
__________________

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2022, 03:44 AM   #146
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 22,307
Originally Posted by gnome View Post
"Fool me twice..."
*puts on sunglasses*
"You can't get fooled again."
YEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!

That's only in Florida!
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 07:19 AM   #147
slyjoe
Illuminator
 
slyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Near Harmonica Virgins, AZ
Posts: 3,334
Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Only if they involve federal law.
I don't believe that is true. Once the "court of last resort" in a state has been used, appelates can petition the SC to hear the case. That's how most death row cases get to the SC.

ETA: Maybe you are thinking of who the president can pardon?
__________________
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade

Last edited by slyjoe; 3rd September 2022 at 07:20 AM.
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 07:43 AM   #148
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 13,971
Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
I don't believe that is true. Once the "court of last resort" in a state has been used, appelates can petition the SC to hear the case. That's how most death row cases get to the SC.

ETA: Maybe you are thinking of who the president can pardon?
See first sentence here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suprem..._United_States

I'll quote a paragraph from here:

https://www.uscourts.gov/about-feder...esources/about

Quote:
Article III, Section II of the Constitution establishes the jurisdiction (legal ability to hear a case) of the Supreme Court. The Court has original jurisdiction (a case is tried before the Court) over certain cases, e.g., suits between two or more states and/or cases involving ambassadors and other public ministers. The Court has appellate jurisdiction (the Court can hear the case on appeal) on almost any other case that involves a point of constitutional and/or federal law. Some examples include cases to which the United States is a party, cases involving Treaties, and cases involving ships on the high seas and navigable waterways (admiralty cases).
I have no idea what percentage of the law that would cover though. Could cover a lot of ground. I also suspect that cases outside of it's jurisdiction just aren't attempted and don't make the news.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 08:06 AM   #149
slyjoe
Illuminator
 
slyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Near Harmonica Virgins, AZ
Posts: 3,334
Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
See first sentence here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suprem..._United_States

I'll quote a paragraph from here:

https://www.uscourts.gov/about-feder...esources/about



I have no idea what percentage of the law that would cover though. Could cover a lot of ground. I also suspect that cases outside of it's jurisdiction just aren't attempted and don't make the news.
The point I get hung up on is federal "law". Are amendments law? I think the SC can hear just about anything it actually wants to hear.
__________________
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 09:25 AM   #150
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 13,971
note to self: don't bother providing evidence to slyjoe.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 09:58 AM   #151
slyjoe
Illuminator
 
slyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Near Harmonica Virgins, AZ
Posts: 3,334
Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
note to self: don't bother providing evidence to slyjoe.
What's the problem? I really don't understand.

ETA:
Quote:
The Court will Hear Cases to Resolve a Conflict of Law: The U.S. judicial system consists of 13 federal circuits and 50 state supreme courts. When a number of these courts reach different conclusions about an issue of federal or constitutional law, the Supreme Court may step in and decide the law so that all areas of the country can then operate under the same law.
The Court will Hear Cases that are Important: Sometimes the Court will consider a highly unusual case such as U.S. v Nixon (concerning the Watergate tapes) or Bush v. Gore (concerning the extremely close election in 2000), or a case with an important social issue, such as abortion in Roe v. Wade.
The Court will Sometimes Hear Cases that Speak to the Justices' Interests: Sometimes Justices give preference to cases that decide an issue in their favorite area of law.
The Court hears Cases when Lower Courts Disregard past Supreme Court decisions: If a lower court blatantly disregards a past Supreme Court decision, the court may hear the case to correct the lower court, or alternatively, simply overrule the case without comment.
https://www.findlaw.com/litigation/l...ar-a-case.html
__________________
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade

Last edited by slyjoe; 3rd September 2022 at 10:01 AM.
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 01:08 PM   #152
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 13,971
Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
What's the problem? I really don't understand.
You just dismissed two authoritative citations for no good reason.

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
That quote is not about how things get to the Supreme Court. It's about how the Justices choose amongst those that do.

From your own citation:

Quote:
It is important to note up front that not just any case can be heard by the U.S. Supreme Court. A case must involve an issue of federal law or otherwise fall within the jurisdiction of federal courts. A case that involves only an issue of state law or parties within a state will likely stay within the state court system where that state's supreme court would be the last step.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 01:18 PM   #153
zorro99
Graduate Poster
 
zorro99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,241
This matter must be thoroughly investigated.
__________________
There is nothing as deceptive as an obvious fact.
zorro99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 01:54 PM   #154
slyjoe
Illuminator
 
slyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Near Harmonica Virgins, AZ
Posts: 3,334
Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
You just dismissed two authoritative citations for no good reason.


That quote is not about how things get to the Supreme Court. It's about how the Justices choose amongst those that do.

From your own citation:
Quote:
It is important to note up front that not just any case can be heard by the U.S. Supreme Court. A case must involve an issue of federal law OR otherwise fall within the jurisdiction of federal courts. A case that involves only an issue of state law or parties within a state will likely stay within the state court system where that state's supreme court would be the last step.
My issue was the statement that the SC only hears cases involving federal law. Civil cases, which do not involve federal law such as Bush v. Gore, can also be heard.

I am perfectly okay listening to evidence. I just think the evidence originally presented was incomplete.
__________________
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 02:04 PM   #155
arayder
Master Poster
 
arayder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,882
Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
This matter must be thoroughly investigated.
Unlike the process in his business and tax investigations in New York this document investigation seems less convoluted to carry out and certainly easier to prosecute should it come to that.

Instead of digging though mounds of tax and business documents the question in the document investigation seems to boil down to whether Trump knowingly took the documents and whether he obstructed justice by at first refusing to turn the documents over, then hiding some.

I am not the judge and the jury. But the answer seems "yes" on both counts.

Last edited by arayder; 3rd September 2022 at 02:09 PM.
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 02:33 PM   #156
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 13,971
Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
Civil cases, which do not involve federal law such as Bush v. Gore, can also be heard.
I'd suggest looking that case up at Wikipedia. This level of detail on this is a derail for this thread I suspect.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 02:51 PM   #157
slyjoe
Illuminator
 
slyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Near Harmonica Virgins, AZ
Posts: 3,334
Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
I'd suggest looking that case up at Wikipedia. This level of detail on this is a derail for this thread I suspect.
I will. I agree this is off topic - apologies.
__________________
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 01:38 PM   #158
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 22,307
Time for another update...



https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/...nor-fraud-case
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 01:40 PM   #159
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 13,971
Confused, wasn't he already there for other reasons?

ETA: Oh, got it. Had too low resolution to see that the caption text had changed.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 8th September 2022 at 01:41 PM.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 05:18 PM   #160
Hercules56
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,608
The way things are going, I do not believe he will be indicted for anything related to 1/6. I just think the case will be too hard to make.

As to the Fake Electors plot and his shenanigans in Georgia? Yes I do think he will be indicted. Federal and state charges. I also think he may be indicted for his Mar-a-Lago crimes.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:42 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.