IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Will Trump be indicted for Federal or State crimes?
Yes 62 62.00%
No 38 38.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13th September 2022, 06:17 PM   #161
Tero
Master Poster

No. He will finally sign some document where he agrees to criminal activity, is immediately pardoned and is banned from political office.

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Parody: http://karireport.blogspot.com/
Poll: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...proval-rating/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 06:35 PM   #162
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
No. He will finally sign some document where he agrees to criminal activity, is immediately pardoned and is banned from political office.
I disagree. He will deny, deny, deny...and then hope to be pardoned by a GOP Prez on federal charges and by whatever GOP governor of GA is/will be in office on any GA state charges. NY is another matter.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 06:42 PM   #163
Tero
Master Poster

That's an obvious goal and strategy. But I think the DOJ is moving along now and Trump will be wrapped up and disposed before Nov 2024.

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Parody: http://karireport.blogspot.com/
Poll: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...proval-rating/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 06:50 PM   #164
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I would count that as an indictment, actually. In spirit if not the letter of the law.
Old 13th September 2022, 06:53 PM   #165
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

That's an obvious goal and strategy. But I think the DOJ is moving along now and Trump will be wrapped up and disposed before Nov 2024.
An ambitious claim and one I completely hope comes true.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 07:23 PM   #166
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

I still reckon Donny will flee the country. That's his usual MO: bail and run.

Oh, it won't look like he is fleeing. He would probably call it "going on a little holiday provided by my good friends from the Middle East". They would send round a jet, he would be picked up in the pomp and circumstance he desires, it would fly off to the east...and he would never return. Also on that plane might be all the missing secret documents the DoJ and FBI are looking for right now.

Of course, all speculation. But just look at the trail of unpaid bills and abandoned "friends and associates" he has left behind previously.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2022, 04:20 AM   #167
Lurch
Master Poster

The prolapsed orange anus is America's great embarrassment. A testament to an ignorant populace. A monumental blight which has savaged its already diminished reputation. So shameful that it might be too painful to put on display in a court of law. The temptation to take on the long term national and international opprobrium in order to diminish the short term anguish, by letting off its criminal POSOTUS, could be overwhelming.

And if it does, the writing is on the wall.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2022, 11:05 AM   #168
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

My Pillow Looney Lindell was served a subpoena yesterday by the FBI and his cell phone confiscated. He's not known for being discreet so I think it's likely that his phone contains info that won't be helpful to him and others but very helpful to the FBI.
Old 14th September 2022, 01:56 PM   #169
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Perhaps.

On the other hand I’m not sure that DJT would even sign a document saying he did something inappropriate, much less anything rising to the level of a crime.

I suspect, from his Previous behavior, that He has gaslighted himself into believing that every action he has taken was legal, appropriate, necessary, and even perfect.

Or to look at i another way, why would someone who is entirely convinced that he was the best USS president in the history of the world admit to any wrong-doing? He is Nixon times 10. In the mind of DJT, the philosophy of “if the president does it, then it is not illegal”” applies to shooting peaceful protestors, firing (if not prosecuting) whistleblowers, firing any federal employee who is investigating him, using the FCC to punish TV shows that satirize him and so forth.
Old 14th September 2022, 02:29 PM   #170
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

In related news:
The grand jury that Mr. Durham has recently used to hear evidence has expired, and while he could convene another, there are currently no plans to do so, three people familiar with the matter said. Mr. Durham and his team are working to complete a final report by the end of the year, they said, and one of the lead prosecutors on his team is leaving for a job with a prominent law firm.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/14/u...mp-russia.html
Headline: "Durham Inquiry Appears to Wind Down as Grand Jury Expires"
Old 14th September 2022, 04:02 PM   #171
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
My Pillow Looney Lindell was served a subpoena yesterday by the FBI and his cell phone confiscated. He's not known for being discreet so I think it's likely that his phone contains info that won't be helpful to him and others but very helpful to the FBI.
So yes Trump is being indicted. The agents and line prosecutors at DoJ are all in at this point. They need to secure an indictment after taking this step. There is no going back here.
Old 14th September 2022, 11:10 PM   #172
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
In related news:
The grand jury that Mr. Durham has recently used to hear evidence has expired, and while he could convene another, there are currently no plans to do so, three people familiar with the matter said. Mr. Durham and his team are working to complete a final report by the end of the year, they said, and one of the lead prosecutors on his team is leaving for a job with a prominent law firm.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/14/u...mp-russia.html
Headline: "Durham Inquiry Appears to Wind Down as Grand Jury Expires"
So no indictments of any of the people who pursued the Russia investigations. Oh, how surprising!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2022, 05:10 AM   #173
Susheel
Master Poster

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
So no indictments of any of the people who pursued the Russia investigations. Oh, how surprising!
Well, it has provided certain people with nice tidy sum in the bank.
Old 15th September 2022, 06:21 AM   #174
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
Well, it has provided certain people with nice tidy sum in the bank.
Yep the GQP grift Continues as does the GQP cover up, why I will never be GOP again.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2022, 08:29 AM   #175
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

In yet another stunning display of his infantile wisdom and his non-existent grasp of basic logic, that POS Trump now says that there will be terrible problems if he is indicted while simultaneously saying that him being indicted will not hinder him from running for President in 2024.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-war...145023687.html

Trump warns of 'problems' like 'we've never seen' if he's indicted

Former President Donald Trump said Thursday the nation would face "problems ... the likes of which perhaps we’ve never seen" if he is indicted over his handling of classified documents after leaving office, an apparent suggestion that such a move by the Justice Department could spark violence from Trump's supporters.

The former president said an indictment wouldn’t stop him from running for the White House again and repeatedly said Americans “would not stand” for his prosecution.

“I think they’d have big problems. Big problems. I just don’t think they’d stand for it. They will not sit still and stand for this ultimate of hoaxes,” Trump said.

“That’s not inciting. I’m just saying what my opinion is,” Trump said. “I don’t think the people of this country would stand for it.”

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2022, 08:35 AM   #176
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
“I think they’d have big problems. Big problems. I just don’t think they’d stand for it. They will not sit still and stand for this ultimate of hoaxes,” Trump said.[/i]

So ... he's back to claiming that the documents were planted? Or has he just lost the meaning of the word "hoax"?
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2022, 08:42 AM   #177
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
So ... he's back to claiming that the documents were planted? Or has he just lost the meaning of the word "hoax"?
Maybe that's the main problem with Trump.... he doesn't know the meaning of the word Hoax. Document theft? Hoax. Russian election interference? Hoax.

Maybe if someone actually showed him the dictionary definition of the word "hoax", he'd say "Oh so that's what Hoax means. Then never mind... I did all those things".

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2022, 08:43 AM   #178
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
The documents were planted and he is entitled to have them. This is how you tell people what they want to hear.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2022, 08:56 AM   #179
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

No he knows it doesn't matter. The documents being planted, the documents being no big deal, the documents not being classified because he declared them not classified all being said at once despite being different arguments doesn't matter to his cult members and he doesn't care that it is insane to everyone else.

Again he'll stop saying contradictory excuses for everything the moment it actually hurts him or doesn't work in his favor in any way which will be never.

Let get our board's Trump trolls in here and they can explain to us how little it matters that not only does Trump lie about everything but his lies contradict his other lies and see how much faith that causes them to loose in their God King.

There's your answer.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 15th September 2022 at 08:57 AM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2022, 09:26 AM   #180
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

In yet another stunning display of his infantile wisdom and his non-existent grasp of basic logic, that POS Trump now says that there will be terrible problems if he is indicted while simultaneously saying that him being indicted will not hinder him from running for President in 2024.
A person has run from prison before, there is no rule against it.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2022, 10:23 AM   #181
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!

“I think they’d have big problems. Big problems. I just don’t think they’d stand for it. They will not sit still and stand for this ultimate of hoaxes,” Trump said.

So what ARE they going to do if they won't sit and they won't stand?
Lay down?
Fly?
Flop around on the ground like they're doing the worm?
Old 15th September 2022, 10:55 AM   #182
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

It's amazing how many things "the likes of which perhaps we’ve never seen" we've seen since Donnie came down that escalator. None of them good.
Old 15th September 2022, 11:07 AM   #183
zorro99
Graduate Poster

I hope Trump is indicted.
Old 15th September 2022, 11:31 AM   #184
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I hope he ends up wearing a nice jump-suit that matches his skin color.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2022, 11:35 AM   #185
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
I'd like to see him in a urn buried in some forgotten corner of a golf course.
Old 15th September 2022, 11:37 AM   #186
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
It's amazing how many things "the likes of which perhaps we’ve never seen" we've seen since Donnie came down that escalator. None of them good.
"I sure would love to live in 'precedented' times again." - Seen multiple times on various social media.
Old 15th September 2022, 11:40 AM   #187
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
That's why I keep trying to get across how little it will actually matter what happens to Trump legally.

What happens when "the system" says Trump can't hold office... but his cult members still vote for him and he, again, claims he won an election he obviously lost?

What happens when they throw him in a prison where the same ~40% of the rest of society are manning it?

These are not idle hypotheticals.

These are people who stormed the Capital and got multiple people killed when they just fairly lost an election.

No, nothing is certain, ass-covering Truism dutifully acknowledged but the possibility that they are not going to take to their God-King being thrown in jail well is not an reasonable question to have a pre-planned response for.
Old 15th September 2022, 11:51 AM   #188
arayder
Master Poster

Two thoughts, rather questions:

Is flight an admission or indication of guilt?

Is there a state Trump could run to where he'd be protected by a MAGA governor and a MAGA population?
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2022, 12:02 PM   #189
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by arayder View Post

Is there a state Trump could run to where he'd be protected by a MAGA governor and a MAGA population?
I hope that POS Trump runs to Russia.

Doing so would be an admission of his guilt and it would help to show that Russia has been interfering with political process of the USA.

Also, since Russia does not have an extradition treaty with the USA, then Trump would most likely be protected from the USA authorities.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2022, 12:13 PM   #190
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
"I sure would love to live in 'precedented' times again." - Seen multiple times on various social media.
Although. If Trump merely repeated all his antics from his previous term, that would technically be precedented.

However, I fear he’d come up with a whole new batch of unprecedented things
Old 15th September 2022, 12:18 PM   #191
Hercules56
Master Poster

A state could refuse to extradite Trump to Georgia or New York or other state that presses charges.

But if he is indicted on federal charges there is nowhere in the USA that he can escape to.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2022, 12:19 PM   #192
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Not legally, of course, but for all practical considerations, yes. Although we'd hear protestations from the usual suspects that he only fled because he couldn't get a fair trial due to corrupt Dem judges.

Quote:
Not legally: "If requested by the charging state, US states and territories must extradite anyone charged with a felony, misdemeanor, or even petty offense in another US state or territory, even if the offense is not a crime in the custodial state."
https://www.ogc.pa.gov/Extradition/Pages/default.aspx
Old 15th September 2022, 12:24 PM   #193
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
A state could refuse to extradite Trump to Georgia or New York or other state that presses charges.
There are few legal ways to refuse an extradition to another state. The only one that would really fly would be if Trump were in jail in the state he is residing in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extrad..._United_States
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2022, 12:26 PM   #194
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
There are few legal ways to refuse an extradition to another state. The only one that would really fly would be if Trump were in jail in the state he is residing in.

So the state that is effectively trying to protect him would have to charge him with a crime, arrest, and jail him. I don't see that as very plausible.
Old 15th September 2022, 01:07 PM   #195
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Right, I'm basically saying states can't refuse extradition to another state. The exception isn't plausible in this case.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2022, 01:08 PM   #196
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Right, I'm basically saying states can't refuse extradition to another state. The exception isn't plausible in this case.
Old 15th September 2022, 01:10 PM   #197
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
I hope Trump is indicted.
I am very pleased to see "Indict" trending on Twitter. Makes me wonder if something is imminent?
Old 15th September 2022, 01:12 PM   #198
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

And what happens if they just ignore the law?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2022, 01:13 PM   #199
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

The president can't destroy documents covered in the presidential records act.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2022, 01:16 PM   #200
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
True but in prison, there are rules about access to the internet, when you can get calls, when you can have visitors. I'm not aware of an exception for being a major party candidate. It would be hard to have a debate or a televised appearance from prison. I'm sure he could be on the ballot but not run a campaign.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics