IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Will Trump be indicted for Federal or State crimes?
Yes 62 62.00%
No 38 38.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15th September 2022, 01:17 PM   #201
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
And what happens if they just ignore the law?
"they"? An entire state's legal system? It goes to the Feds. Didn't I cite a link?
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2022, 01:18 PM   #202
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
The president can't destroy documents covered in the presidential records act.
Uh, yeah. What's that's got to do with what you were replying to?
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2022, 01:26 PM   #203
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Uh, yeah. What's that's got to do with what you were replying to?

Another example of something that "can't" be done until someone decides to do it and nobody does anything to stop them.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2022, 02:59 PM   #204
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
So the state that is effectively trying to protect him would have to charge him with a crime, arrest, and jail him. I don't see that as very plausible.
I wonder if a defending state could make a bogus charge, indict Trump for it, grant him bail and never bring the case to trial (and tell the extraditing state "no you can't have him until he faces trial for taping a baseball game without written consent of major league baseball. Trial is in 20 years. Or when Trump shows us his taxes. Whichever is first")

Legally it is probably bogus but the legal appeals might tie it up for a while.

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2022, 03:13 PM   #205
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Another example of something that "can't" be done until someone decides to do it and nobody does anything to stop them.
Yep.

So I'll ask it again. What happens when the law/legal decision gets ignored.

What happens when Trump and the Republican Party yet again just goes "Make me."
Old 15th September 2022, 03:41 PM   #206
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Why wouldn't the defending state just like decline to enforce the extradition request? Both the states and the federal government frequently decline to enforce stuff. What's Georgia going to do? Hire bounty hunters?
Old 15th September 2022, 03:55 PM   #207
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Why wouldn't the defending state just like decline to enforce the extradition request? Both the states and the federal government frequently decline to enforce stuff. What's Georgia going to do? Hire bounty hunters?
Would the Feds send in federal marshalls to collect the perpetrator?

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2022, 11:37 PM   #208
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
They could as it would be breaking

Quote:
The Extradition Clause in the US Constitution requires states, upon demand of another state, to deliver a fugitive from justice who has committed a "treason, felony or other crime" to the state from which the fugitive has fled.

18 U.S.C. § 3182 sets the process by which an executive of a state, district, or territory of the United States must arrest and turn over a fugitive from another state, district, or territory.
The SC ruled in Puerto Rico v. Branstad (1987),that states must comply with extradition (rendition) requests.

Under the Uniform Criminal Extradition Act:

Quote:
Sec. 54-158. Governor's duty to arrest and deliver up fugitive. Subject to the provisions of this chapter, the provisions of the Constitution of the United States controlling, and any and all acts of Congress enacted in pursuance thereof, it is the duty of the Governor of this state to have arrested and delivered up to the executive authority of any other state of the United States any person charged in that state with treason, felony or other crime, who has fled from justice and is found in this state.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 03:36 AM   #209
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Texas and Florida say: Yeah? Well...MAKE ME! *snicker*
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 12:13 PM   #210
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Texas and Florida say: Yeah? Well...MAKE ME! *snicker*
The Feds might have something to say about that.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 12:42 PM   #211
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The Feds might have something to say about that.
Then again, they might not. State and federal governments decline to enforce things all the time.
Old 16th September 2022, 12:48 PM   #212
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
I don't know. Would they?

I mean, we're talking about a very extreme and unlikely situation to begin with. We're stipulating the plausibility of the base scenario, right?

So I figure it would have to take place in a political climate where the governor of the sanctuary state thought they could get away with it, or thought they could gain a political advantage from whatever confrontation emerged. And so I think we'd have to consider the possibility that in such a political climate, "the feds" would see a political downside in forcing a confrontation.

I suppose one of the more technical questions is whether, if the governor of the state drags his heels on enforcing that constitutional provision, does this actually give the federal government the jurisdiction to arrest someone who has not been charged with a federal crime.
Old 16th September 2022, 01:19 PM   #213
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

Trump is a legend in his own mind. He thinks more than a couple of people will actually present arms and fight for him.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/16/polit...ted/index.html

Quote:
Hewitt: You know the old saying. A prosecutor can indict a ham sandwich if they want to. I'm just asking if there is such a prosecutor and they indict you, would that deter you from running for president again?

Trump: I don't think the people of the United States would stand for it. And as you know, if a thing like that happened, I would have no prohibition against running. You know that. You've already stated that.
Quote:
Hewitt: I do. That's what I wanted people to understand. That would not take you out of the arena.

Trump: It would not. But I think if it happened, I think you'd have problems in this country the likes of which perhaps we've never seen before. I don't think the people of the United States would stand for it.
Trump imagines that his "army", who has so far proven to be mostly over-weight paper tigers, will make a difference? Yeah, there will most certainly be isolated incidents, but the feds are not likely to back down when it comes time to put the cuffs on.

I think Trump's best bet is to decide which country to flee to that does not have an extradition treaty with the US.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 01:33 PM   #214
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know. Would they?

I mean, we're talking about a very extreme and unlikely situation to begin with. We're stipulating the plausibility of the base scenario, right?

So I figure it would have to take place in a political climate where the governor of the sanctuary state thought they could get away with it, or thought they could gain a political advantage from whatever confrontation emerged. And so I think we'd have to consider the possibility that in such a political climate, "the feds" would see a political downside in forcing a confrontation.

I suppose one of the more technical questions is whether, if the governor of the state drags his heels on enforcing that constitutional provision, does this actually give the federal government the jurisdiction to arrest someone who has not been charged with a federal crime.
I think they could arrest the governor who was refusing to extradite because s/he would be breaking federal law 18 U.S.C. § 3182.
Old 16th September 2022, 01:41 PM   #215
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Don't the Feds have the ability to arrest anyone in any state? They don't need the state to arrest Trump for them do they?

The only way the state could refuse extradition is if Trump was in state custody, no? Either way, he would be sitting in a cell.
Old 16th September 2022, 01:45 PM   #216
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
Don't the Feds have the ability to arrest anyone in any state? They don't need the state to arrest Trump for them do they?

The only way the state could refuse extradition is if Trump was in state custody, no? Either way, he would be sitting in a cell.
I was considering the scenario where one state charged Trump with a felony, and then expected the governor of another state to promptly extradite him as the constitution requires.

Obviously the question of federal jurisdiction and arrest authority is moot if Trump is charged with a federal crime. It's only a question if we're hoping the feds will step in on, say, Georgia's behalf if, say, Florida won't extradite when Georgia charges him.
Old 16th September 2022, 01:47 PM   #217
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I think they could arrest the governor who was refusing to extradite because s/he would be breaking federal law 18 U.S.C. § 3182.
Which would be a whole 'nother can of worms on top of the can of worms that is the question of feds executing interstate extradition. The way I read the constitutional clause in question, it seems like it's the harboring state that has arrest and extradition authority, not the federal government.
Old 16th September 2022, 01:49 PM   #218
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
Trump is a legend in his own mind. He thinks more than a couple of people will actually present arms and fight for him.

Trump imagines that his "army", who has so far proven to be mostly over-weight paper tigers, will make a difference? Yeah, there will most certainly be isolated incidents, but the feds are not likely to back down when it comes time to put the cuffs on.

I think Trump's best bet is to decide which country to flee to that does not have an extradition treaty with the US.
I think the actual hard core Trump suporters are a tiny fraction of the U.S. population. A noisey, annoying tiny fraction, but a small fraction nonetheless. I think if the few tried to rise up, when they turn and realize the masses they expected behind them fail to materialize, they'll slink quietly back to their basement computers, where they'll rant and rave about the injustice of it all, and the if onlys ...
Old 16th September 2022, 02:08 PM   #219
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Which would be a whole 'nother can of worms on top of the can of worms that is the question of feds executing interstate extradition. The way I read the constitutional clause in question, it seems like it's the harboring state that has arrest and extradition authority, not the federal government.
More research found this:
Quote:
Having so defined a governor's obligation, however, the Supreme Court further emphasized that neither the Extradition Clause nor the federal legislation implementing it contained any procedure whereby a governor's extradition duty might be judicially compelled. (Id., at pp. 107-110 [16 L.Ed. at pp. 729-730].) As Dennison carefully explained, "The performance of this duty ... is left to depend on the fidelity of the state executive to the compact entered into with the other states when it adopted the Constitution of the United States, and became a member of the Union. ... [¶] [i]f the governor ... refuses to discharge this duty, there is no power delegated to the general government, either through the judicial department or any other department, to use any coercive means to compel him." (Id., at pp. 109-110 [16 L.Ed. at p. 730], italics added.)

Subsequently, in Taylor v. Taintor (1872) 83 U.S. (16 Wall.) 366, 370 [21 L. Ed. 287, 290], the high tribunal reaffirmed Dennison, acknowledging very explicitly that "If [the Governor] refuse [to extradite a fugitive], there is no means of compulsion." (Italics added.)
From this, I would take it that you are likely correct.
Old 16th September 2022, 02:26 PM   #220
Tero
Master Poster

So the state that is effectively trying to protect him would have to charge him with a crime, arrest, and jail him. I don't see that as very plausible.
what state? what crime?
The FBI can arrest in any state for a federal crime.

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Parody: http://karireport.blogspot.com/
Poll: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...proval-rating/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 03:04 PM   #221
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
what state? what crime?

Yes but the problem is some of the investigations involving Trump (Georgia election interference, NY financial crimes) are state crimes, not federal.

The concern is that (for example) Georgia will indict him for state crimes, so the feds don't get involved, and Deathsantis refuses to extradite him from Florida.

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 03:08 PM   #222
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
what state? what crime?
Federal crime, yes. State crime, no. So if GA decides to indict on their state crime of election interference, then I don't think so.
Old 16th September 2022, 06:12 PM   #223
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

A lot of people still don't seem to understand that the US is not a monolithic state, subdivided into administrative districts of the central government.

You'd think that people familiar with the situation of England and Scotland in the United Kingdom would at least grasp the concept. And you'd think anyone who understood the EU would understand immediately.

If England chooses not to execute Sweden's red notice, does Sweden have any recourse to go into the UK and snatch their culprit? Does Brussels?
Old 16th September 2022, 11:49 PM   #224
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post

We are of like mind on this. And I would not mind betting the brains-trust behind The Donald (because he runs on his reptilian core only) have done the Trivago research already, and are even now extending quiet queries to potential bolt-hole countries.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 11:51 PM   #225
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

A lot of people still don't seem to understand that the US is not a monolithic state, subdivided into administrative districts of the central government.

You'd think that people familiar with the situation of England and Scotland in the United Kingdom would at least grasp the concept. And you'd think anyone who understood the EU would understand immediately.

If England chooses not to execute Sweden's red notice, does Sweden have any recourse to go into the UK and snatch their culprit? Does Brussels?
Yes they could.

I give you: Adolf Eichmann.
Old 16th September 2022, 11:53 PM   #226
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

States are not separate and independent countries.
Old 17th September 2022, 12:25 AM   #227
Susheel
Master Poster

Everything is quantum...are you not aware of the Repub Uncertainty Principle. An entity can exist as both states and countries until it collapses into one or the other to suit the needs of a Repub talking point.

Note it down for future reference.
Old 17th September 2022, 05:43 AM   #228
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Yes they could.

I don't know what that means.
Old 17th September 2022, 05:45 AM   #229
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The US arrangement shares some important similarities with the EU that a lot of people seem to overlook or misunderstand.
Old 17th September 2022, 07:04 AM   #230
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator

Yes they could.

I don't know what that means.
Ignorance of history often prevents people from understanding elliptical references to historical precedents.

Adolf Eichmann thought he would be safe in Argentina, which "had a history of turning down extradition requests for Nazi criminals" [1]. So Israel sent a team of Mossad and Shin Bet agents to kidnap Eichmann and take him to Israel, where he was tried and executed.

Norman Alexander is suggesting Sweden or Brussels would have a similar recourse if England were to choose not to act upon a red notice.

[1] Wikipedia article on Adolf Eichmann.
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2022, 07:12 AM   #231
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by W.D.Clinger View Post
Ignorance of history often prevents people from understanding elliptical references to historical precedents.

Adolf Eichmann thought he would be safe in Argentina, which "had a history of turning down extradition requests for Nazi criminals" [1]. So Israel sent a team of Mossad and Shin Bet agents to kidnap Eichmann and take him to Israel, where he was tried and executed.

Norman Alexander is suggesting Sweden or Brussels would have a similar recourse if England were to choose not to act upon a red notice.

[1] Wikipedia article on Adolf Eichmann.
So you're talking about the kind of extrajudicial rendition that nation-states perpetrate on each other from time to time, sometimes clandestinely, sometimes with the tacit approval of the "host" nation.

Which is exactly my point. The relationship between Georgia and Florida in this scenario is more akin to the relationship between England and Sweden in the EU (or Israel and Argentina in the global community). There is no central authority with the jurisdiction to arrest people in one country on charges brought in another country. Just countries sending bounty hunters when sufficiently motivated.

The feds can't arrest Trump in Florida for crimes he's been charged with in Georgia, because the US isn't that kind of arrangement. This is something a lot of people still don't seem to understand.
Old 17th September 2022, 08:05 AM   #232
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator

So you're talking about the kind of extrajudicial rendition that nation-states perpetrate on each other from time to time, sometimes clandestinely, sometimes with the tacit approval of the "host" nation.
That's what Norman Alexander was talking about.

My contribution was limited to explaining Norman Alexander's comment to someone who didn't know how Adolf Eichmann came to be transported from Argentina to Israel.
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2022, 08:28 AM   #233
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by W.D.Clinger View Post
That's what Norman Alexander was talking about.

My contribution was limited to explaining Norman Alexander's comment to someone who didn't know how Adolf Eichmann came to be transported from Argentina to Israel.
You mansplained Adolf Eichmann, which was unnecessary. I wanted the argument - NA's reasoning and conclusion from the premise of Adolf Eichmann. Or yours, as the case might be.

You seem to be under the impression it was an opportunity to attack me personally, rather than an opportunity to construct a rational argument from premises.
Old 17th September 2022, 09:58 AM   #234
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator

You mansplained Adolf Eichmann, which was unnecessary. I wanted the argument - NA's reasoning and conclusion from the premise of Adolf Eichmann. Or yours, as the case might be.
Adolf Eichmann was an example, not a premise. I explained the reference you said you hadn't understood.

Thank you for clarifying that what you wanted was an argument, not an explanation.

You seem to be under the impression it was an opportunity to attack me personally, rather than an opportunity to construct a rational argument from premises.

I apologize for declining this opportunity to construct an argument you might or might not consider to be rational, but life is too short for me to take advantage of every opportunity for argument that presents itself.

Last edited by W.D.Clinger; 17th September 2022 at 10:01 AM.
Old 17th September 2022, 11:33 AM   #235
arayder
Master Poster

That's pretty much the scenario I envisioned in my original question.

Thinking more about it It seems to me the state in the end wouldn't be able to keep the feds at bay (in the case of a federal indictment).

But it might work out good for DeSantis anyway. He threatens to keep the feds out of Florida when they come for Trump at Mar-a-Lago and although he eventually backs down he makes enough of a stink to keep the MAGA boys happy.

But the feds get DJT anyway and the ensuing arrest and trial make Trump un-electable. . .clearing the way for Desantis.
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2022, 02:04 PM   #236
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Which is exactly my point. The relationship between Georgia and Florida in this scenario is more akin to the relationship between England and Sweden in the EU (or Israel and Argentina in the global community). There is no central authority with the jurisdiction to arrest people in one country on charges brought in another country. Just countries sending bounty hunters when sufficiently motivated.

The feds can't arrest Trump in Florida for crimes he's been charged with in Georgia, because the US isn't that kind of arrangement. This is something a lot of people still don't seem to understand.
If charged with a federal crime, surely they can. The FBI raided Mar-a-Lago legally, and that was not even an arrest.

Also, the Eichmann scenario is simply a parallel example of the GQP's attitude of "It's legal until we say it isn't, so just try and stop us."

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 17th September 2022 at 02:05 PM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics