IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 21st August 2022, 02:58 PM   #41
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by Stellafane View Post
Of course not. They're just trying to stunt the intellectual growth of this generation of students. Otherwise, who would vote for them in the future? Certainly not anyone who's informed and can think critically.
A little while ago I posted a link to a Pew poll showing what demagogues like DeSantis are actually afraid of.

High school or less: 47% Republican - 45% Democrat

Some college: 47% Democrat - 45% Republican

College graduates: 54% Democrat - 39% Republican

Postgraduates (people with Master's Degrees and Ph.D.s) 63% Democrat - 31% Republican.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2022, 05:17 PM   #42
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
You have well and truly drunk the Kool Aid.

Exactly what "beliefs and standards" have "liberals" "pushed onto" and "programmed" school children with?

Do you think all State Boards of Education and local school boards, who determine the curriculum, are all controlled by 'leftists'? I got news for you: curriculum development is determined by the input of many people... educational professionals that include teachers from all political and religious beliefs. It is reviewed and changed on a regular basis with the aim of always improving it.

What you, DeSantis and his ilk are really upset about is not that children are being 'indoctrinated' or 'programmed' but that they aren't being 'indoctrinated' and 'programmed' in YOUR right wing ideologies.

The hypocrisy of the right knows no bounds.
to be frank, De Santis strikes me as more of an opportunist then a true believer.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2022, 07:14 PM   #43
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Once again, I want some specific examples of the kind of teaching the Pro De Santis people here object to. Specfic items.not gliittering generalaties.
Yes, Historians on the left often take it to the other extrems...I am no fan of Howard Zinn....but I doubt that is what the Trumpers are really upset about.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2022, 09:41 PM   #44
Lurch
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
A little while ago I posted a link to a Pew poll showing what demagogues like DeSantis are actually afraid of.

High school or less: 47% Republican - 45% Democrat

Some college: 47% Democrat - 45% Republican

College graduates: 54% Democrat - 39% Republican

Postgraduates (people with Master's Degrees and Ph.D.s) 63% Democrat - 31% Republican.
When despots come to power one of the first tasks is to liquidate the intelligentsia.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2022, 10:52 PM   #45
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Here's a good example of right-wing "indoctrination" in Texas and FL public schools:
Quote:
Texas schools are required to put up posters of the national motto 'In God We Trust,' but critics say the law imposes religion on children

Texas public schools will now be required to hang posters that display the national motto.
The law also requires that the posters have an American flag centered under the motto.
Opponents say the law "imposes religion" on students.

A new Texas law requires schools to hang posters of the national motto, "In God We Trust," in every building on their campuses, as long as the posters are donated.
The bill, SB 797, was passed last year by the Texas legislature and states that campuses must display "a durable poster or framed copy of the United States national motto" in a "conspicuous place in each building of the school or institution."
Quote:
It also requires that each poster have an American flag "centered under the motto" as well as the state flag of Texas.

The law applies to both K-12 and higher education institutions.

State Rep. Tom Oliverson, one of the co-authors of the bill, told television station KHOU it was a "great opportunity" to display the national motto at schools.
Texas state Sen. Bryan Hughes, another co-author, celebrated the bill with a Twitter post on Tuesday, saying that the national motto "asserts our collective trust in a sovereign God."
Opponents of the law, however, told The Guardian that it imposes Christianity in public schools, which they say are meant to be secular institutions.
Quote:
"Alone, they're a basic violation of the separation of church and state. But in the broader context, it's hard not to see them as part of the larger Christian nationalist project," Sophie Ellman-Golan, director of strategic communications at Jews for Racial & Economic Justice, told The Guardian.
Quote:
Over the past few years, several other states, many in the south, have required or allowed schools to display signs, posters, or other insignia with the words, "In God We Trust," Forbes reported.
Quote:
In 2018, following the Parkland shooting, Florida Gov. Rick Scott signed a bill similar to the Texas law that required schools to display the national motto in a "conspicuous place" in every building.
The Texas law comes as support for Christian nationalism — or the belief that Christianity is and should be intrinsically tied to American life and laws — grows on the right, including among GOP lawmakers.
Before our right-wing members claim that there's nothing wrong with displaying the national motto in schools, let's just skip this crappy go to excuse. This was not the national motto until 1956 when it was signed into law in the same Cold War hyper- patriotic/religious related fervor of McCarthyism that had added "under God" to the Pledge of Allegiance two years earlier.

We already have the flag hanging in classrooms and the Pledge being said but, apparently, that's just not good enough for these right-wingers who won't be happy until they've relegated separation of church and state to the dung heap of history and made the US into a Christian Nationalist country. But, according to the right-wing it's the left who are 'indoctrinating' and imposing their will" on schoolchildren.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2022, 08:09 AM   #46
shuttlt
Philosopher

This seems to be the perennial coming to blows of describing the world as it is, and describing how we think the world should be. If people disagree about morality, how, in this modern world that has left might makes right behind, do we decide who get's their way?
shuttlt is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2022, 08:51 AM   #47
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

What does any of this have to do with anything?
Old 22nd August 2022, 10:05 AM   #48
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Just a reminder, this thread is about DeSantis' rebranding of the Lost Cause mythology/propaganda into modern times. Not whether "might makes right" or if any one poster is a flaming hypocrite.
Old 22nd August 2022, 10:48 AM   #49
sackett
Philosopher

DeStinkass can push through all the dumbutt laws he wants, and they'll be shot down for gross unconstitutionality. Happens a lot in the funny south.

He doesn't mind at all, because his only desire is to claw together as much right wing support as he can. His ambition is to be Trumph Mark 2 in 2024.

And 2028 and 2032 and so on.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.

Last edited by sackett; 22nd August 2022 at 10:49 AM.
sackett is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2022, 10:51 AM   #50
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
DeStinkass can push through all the dumbutt laws he wants, and they'll be shot down for gross unconstitutionality.
You sure of that these days?
Old 22nd August 2022, 10:59 AM   #51
shuttlt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
You sure of that these days?
Which ever side is the stronger will find that they have the right to get their way.
shuttlt is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2022, 11:34 AM   #52
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
I think you need to look at the larger picture of liberal influence and its affects on educational curricula (particularly on social matters), which is what this really comes down to. The pushback is well-deserved and overdo, even if not ideally presented.

In a sense, liberals have created this scenario by their incessant need to push their beliefs and standards as policy of law, even down to programming our children.
Yep, it's those radical lefties "pushing their beliefs and standards as policy of law, even down to programming our children":
Quote:
Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis is working to line up a slew of loyalists on school boards across Florida as he seeks a second term in the nation's third-largest state.

"We need help at the local level," DeSantis said at a firehouse to about 430 enthusiastic supporters during a campaign event on Sunday. "You guys with your power going out and voting is going to make a huge difference."

The governor has endorsed 29 conservative candidates ahead of Tuesday's election for school board races, which typically don't receive much attention and are technically nonpartisan.

School board members make decisions about spending, schedules, supplies, curriculum, and other matters. But in more than a dozen counties where DeSantis endorsed candidates, school boards defied the governor last fall by requiring students to wear masks.
Quote:
Another curriculum area DeSantis bashed at his campaign rally was "critical race theory," which he defined as teaching "kids to hate our country and hate each other because of race." Republicans have used the term as a shorthand for race-based discussions and trainings that they say are tied to Marxism.

Formally, critical race theory examines racism in US institutions stemming from slavery and the Jim Crow era. Democrats have argued it's mostly taught in law schools and accuse politicians who favor bans of trying to whitewash history.
Governors rarely get involved in local school board elections, but DeSantis is pushing for the election of loyalists who support his conservative ideology. Open discussions are out; restrictions on what can be discussed are in. Teaching historical fact and reality is out; the sanitized, Hollywood version is in. But it's the left who are "programming our children".
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2022, 01:02 PM   #53
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I see Warp12 has still not produced an solid detailed example of what they consider "biased" teaching.
Looking forward to he or she telling us what a wonderufl things Sand Creek and Wounded Knee were.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 22nd August 2022, 01:48 PM   #54
sarge
Philosopher

Mod Warning 112 posts to AAH as off-topic, uncivil, or other various violations. Pity, as some of them might have made for interesting threads in their own right. Please stick to the thread topic or create a new thread.
Responding to this mod box in thread will be off topic Posted By:sarge
Old 22nd August 2022, 02:12 PM   #55
sackett
Philosopher

La lutte perpétuelle

Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
Which ever side is the stronger will find that they have the right to get their way.
And how, pray, are you defining strength?

If you reply, "Any way I choose to!" I won't be even one tiny bit surprised.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2022, 03:33 PM   #56
ZiprHead
Muse

Florida Swing Voters Aren’t Sold on DeSantis or Rubio

Quote:
For months, the general consensus has been that in Florida’s two marquee midterm races—for governor and U.S. Senate—the Republican candidates are likely to prevail. But recent polling shows both races tighter than expected for Ron DeSantis and Marco Rubio. On August 9 we conducted focus groups with a dozen Trump-to-Biden voters and these people explained why they were open to replacing both incumbents.

Let’s start with the likely contest between DeSantis and former governor Charlie Crist. If the governor’s race in November is indeed DeSantis versus Crist, nine respondents said they would take Crist, two would take DeSantis, and one was undecided. Our swing voters described DeSantis as “power-hungry,” “petty,” “an opportunist,” “egotistical,” “anti-abortion,” and a “bull in a china shop.”

“[I didn’t like] the revenge politics with the Reedy Creek Improvement District,” explained B.J., 43, from Deland. “I’m a big Disney fan. That hit pretty close to home. There was just no point to it. It was just pure revenge politics. Also, I don’t agree with how he handled the Covid pandemic, like restricting local municipalities, not allowing them to enforce mask mandates and things like that. I think that was highly inappropriate.”

For months, the general consensus has been that in Florida’s two marquee midterm races—for governor and U.S. Senate—the Republican candidates are likely to prevail. But recent polling shows both races tighter than expected for Ron DeSantis and Marco Rubio. On August 9 we conducted focus groups with a dozen Trump-to-Biden voters and these people explained why they were open to replacing both incumbents.

Let’s start with the likely contest between DeSantis and former governor Charlie Crist. If the governor’s race in November is indeed DeSantis versus Crist, nine respondents said they would take Crist, two would take DeSantis, and one was undecided. Our swing voters described DeSantis as “power-hungry,” “petty,” “an opportunist,” “egotistical,” “anti-abortion,” and a “bull in a china shop.”

“[I didn’t like] the revenge politics with the Reedy Creek Improvement District,” explained B.J., 43, from Deland. “I’m a big Disney fan. That hit pretty close to home. There was just no point to it. It was just pure revenge politics. Also, I don’t agree with how he handled the Covid pandemic, like restricting local municipalities, not allowing them to enforce mask mandates and things like that. I think that was highly inappropriate.”

Lance, 27, from Orlando remarked, “I disagree with DeSantis on quite a few things . . . It’s purely just his stance on things. [I’m troubled that he’s] anti-abortion, primarily, anti-transgender—more the social issues.”

“[DeSantis is] petty. He’s all about keeping government out of business unless the business disagrees with him, and then it becomes personal,” said Thomas, 27, from Coral Gables.

“DeSantis is too much like Trump. . . . I don’t trust him,” commented Kim, 60, from St. Augustine.

Nik, 37, from Miami Shores, added, “If Crist can win in November here in Florida, then that puts DeSantis in a really bad spot in terms of trying to run for president in ’24.”
Much more in the link.

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2022, 03:51 PM   #57
shuttlt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
And how, pray, are you defining strength?

If you reply, "Any way I choose to!" I won't be even one tiny bit surprised.
In that case, you too have no understanding of realist thought. I don't know what else is to be said. It isn't an obscure or unknown world view. It has been written about in well known works for close to two and a half thousand years. It has been explained in this thread. It was taught to children for hundreds of years. It was the standard view of international relations for centuries .Yet, there is still post after post, like this one, that view it as a mysterious riddle.
Old 22nd August 2022, 04:01 PM   #58
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I see Warp12 has still not produced an solid detailed example of what they consider "biased" teaching.
Looking forward to he or she telling us what a wonderufl things Sand Creek and Wounded Knee were.

On the first point, there is no need to illustrate the obvious liberal bias in classrooms. If we each search our souls, we know we have experienced this firsthand in our education.

On the second point, clearly I am not permitted to address that in this thread. Maybe start a new one.
Old 22nd August 2022, 04:18 PM   #59
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

On the first point, there is no need to illustrate the obvious liberal bias in classrooms. If we each search our souls, we know we have experienced this firsthand in our education.

On the second point, clearly I am not permitted to address that in this thread. Maybe start a new one.
I never thought I would see you make the point that “reality has a liberal bias.” Well done.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2022, 04:58 PM   #60
shuttlt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I never thought I would see you make the point that “reality has a liberal bias.” Well done.
Just as in the Soviet Union it had a Communist bias, in Nazi Germany it had a Nazi bias and in ancien regime France it had a monarchist bias. How puzzling that time after time reality has a bias towards the ruling orthodoxy. Reality should make up it's mind.
Old 22nd August 2022, 05:09 PM   #61
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Snort. The 'it's so obvious I don't need to illustrate it by giving actual examples' fallacy followed by the 'we know' fallacy. Well done. Transparent, but points for using two fallacies.
Old 22nd August 2022, 05:15 PM   #62
Warp12
King of Kings

Snort. The 'it's so obvious I don't need to illustrate it by giving actual examples' fallacy followed by the 'we know' fallacy. Well done. Transparent, but points for using two fallacies.

Yeah, that doesn't add up, from my experience. Imo, either you teach with your heart and conviction, or you are disingenuous. And the best teachers I ever had, taught with their hearts and conviction. And most were liberals.

I'd like to think that most good teachers do the same. But, as with anything, it can be taken too far.

Last edited by Warp12; 22nd August 2022 at 05:16 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2022, 05:20 PM   #63
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Just as in the Soviet Union it had a Communist bias, in Nazi Germany it had a Nazi bias and in ancien regime France it had a monarchist bias. How puzzling that time after time reality has a bias towards the ruling orthodoxy. Reality should make up it's mind.
It's not puzzling at all. It's the philosophy of the grifter, the bully, the criminal and the autocrat.

You seem to be missing the point. The question isn't about what actually happens when one group wins power over another; it's about why that 'might' necessarily makes 'right'.

In your view, Russia's invasion of Ukraine is just hunky-dory as long as they eventually win.
Old 22nd August 2022, 05:34 PM   #64
shuttlt
Philosopher

It's not puzzling at all. It's the philosophy of the grifter, the bully, the criminal and the autocrat.

You seem to be missing the point. The question isn't about what actually happens when one group wins power over another; it's about why that 'might' necessarily makes 'right'.

In your view, Russia's invasion of Ukraine is just hunky-dory as long as they eventually win.
You are misunderstanding what "might makes right" means. It's like you are trying to interpret Whose On First as a riddle. If you don't understand that, you really can't understand any Conservative, and certainly not any Realist postitions.

Last edited by shuttlt; 22nd August 2022 at 05:36 PM.
Old 22nd August 2022, 06:05 PM   #65
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Yeah, that doesn't add up, from my experience.
Your post doesn't actually address mine. You shift off into what makes a good teacher which had nothing to do with the fact that you have still failed to give actual examples of how school children are being indoctrinated with liberal ideologies.

Quote:
Imo, either you teach with your heart and conviction, or you are disingenuous. And the best teachers I ever had, taught with their hearts and conviction.
True, good teachers love their work but I've yet to see a teacher, and I know lots of teachers having been one myself, who told her kids "you need to feel really guilty because white people are bad and had slaves over a hundred years ago! AND, sweetheart, you aren't really a boy. You're a girl!"

Quote:
And most were liberals.
Sure. And I bet your elementary and middle school teachers had some great conversations with you about their political and gender/sexual orientation beliefs so that you could surmise that they were 'liberals'.

"Yes, Warpie, as soon as you're done learning today's ten spelling words starting with the letter 'B', we'll talk about how great Socialism is, how bad Capitalism is, and how being Gay is a good thing and you can be gay, too!"

Quote:
I'd like to think that most good teachers do the same. But, as with anything, it can be taken too far.
Yes, like the restrictive laws that idiot DeSantis and his loyalists are imposing on teachers in his bid to be a Trump Mini-Me on the way to the WH in 2024 or 2028. FL teachers are quitting over this crap:

Quote:
A Florida elementary school teacher said he quit his job after another staff member removed his pictures depicting African American leaders.

Michael James, who taught at O.J. Semmes Elementary School in Pensacola, said he had posted images on a bulletin board depicting civil rights icons Martin Luther King Jr. and Harriet Tubman, scientist George Washington Carver and former Secretary of State Colin Powell.

He told the Pensacola News Journal that he wanted to display the images so the students, a majority of whom are Black, could see someone they could relate to.

James said it "really floored" him when a staff member removed the photos.

"I've been teaching special education for 15 years, and it just really floored me when she did that," he told the newspaper.
Quote:
James said the staff member told him that the images were not "age appropriate." He said she also removed an image he had on his desk of former President Barack Obama.

"She picked it up and said, 'You don't need to put this up either.' She said — I can't remember exactly what she said — but she said, 'the kids are too young' or something like that. It floored me," he told the newspaper.
Read the rest of the article for the ************ story the School District came up with. A teacher doesn't resign because he was being helped 'setting up his classroom" and "didn't mind" when the posters were removed.

Quote:
A unique set of challenges is causing Florida educators to call it quits. In addition to passing laws that critics say target the LGBTQ+ community and people of color, political figures in the state have characterized educators as threats to students and parents. Tired of what they consider to be character assassination, low pay and a lack of job security, teachers in the Sunshine State are resigning in worrisome numbers.
Quote:
But for the first time in 12 years , when school resumes this fall, [Anita Carson] the bisexual middle school instructor won’t be in a classroom. She resigned in May due to a combination of factors, chief among them Florida’s recent passage of laws, including “Don’t Say Gay” and the Stop WOKE Act, that limit what educators can say about issues such as sexual orientation, gender identity and race.
Quote:
Then the rhetoric took a sharp turn. Political groups began portraying teachers as nefarious influences in students’ lives.

“These right-wing extremist groups were talking about teachers indoctrinating kids with liberal [agendas] and saying that teachers are groomers and pedophiles if they ever support LGBTQ-anything in the presence of a minor,” Carson said. “I couldn’t take it anymore. I was like, ‘I have to get out of this. This is toxic. This is not the space that I want to be in anymore.’
Quote:
Quote:
The Sunshine State is the epicenter of Moms for Liberty, a conservative parent group co-founded by two former Florida school board members.
Their movement for more parental oversight of curricula related to race, gender, sexuality or politics spread across the nation during the pandemic. The group holds such sway in conservative circles that Betsy DeVos spoke at its summit Saturday, garnering headlines for reportedly calling for an end to the Department of Education, the federal agency she led during former President Donald Trump’s administration.
https://19thnews.org/2022/07/nationa...oversial-laws/
Old 22nd August 2022, 06:06 PM   #66
Warp12
King of Kings

Your post doesn't actually address mine. You shift off into what makes a good teacher which had nothing to do with the fact that you have still failed to give actual examples of how school children are being indoctrinated with liberal ideologies.

True, good teachers love their work but I've yet to see a teacher, and I know lots of teachers having been one myself, who told her kids "you need to feel really guilty because white people are bad and had slaves over a hundred years ago! AND, sweetheart, you aren't really a boy. You're a girl!"

Sure. And I bet your elementary and middle school teachers had some great conversations with you about their political and gender/sexual orientation beliefs so that you could surmise that they were 'liberals'.

"Yes, Warpie, as soon as you're done learning today's ten spelling words starting with the letter 'B', we'll talk about how great Socialism is, how bad Capitalism is, and how being Gay is a good thing and you can be gay, too!"

Yes, like the restrictive laws that idiot DeSantis and his loyalists are imposing on teachers in his bid to be a Trump Mini-Me on the way to the WH in 2024 or 2028. FL teachers are quitting over this crap:

Read the rest of the article for the ************ story the School District came up with. A teacher doesn't resign because he was being helped 'setting up his classroom" and "didn't mind" when the posters were removed.

https://19thnews.org/2022/07/nationa...oversial-laws/

Unfortunate expression of position, imo. One that illustrates an intense desire to condemn conservatives, even when they extend an olive branch.

Last edited by Warp12; 22nd August 2022 at 06:08 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2022, 06:16 PM   #67
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

You are misunderstanding what "might makes right" means. It's like you are trying to interpret Whose On First as a riddle. If you don't understand that, you really can't understand any Conservative, and certainly not any Realist postitions.
Please, sir, will you please explain to me what "might makes right" really means? I've always thought, apparently incorrectly, that it meant what dictionaries defined it as:

1) "Definition of might makes/is right
—used to say that people who have power are able to do what they want because no one can stop them"

2) "Superior strength can enforce one's will or dictate justice, as in The generals dismissed the parliament and imprisoned the premier—might makes right in that country, or The big boys wouldn't let the little ones use the basketball, a case of might makes right. "

3) "The stronger and more powerful rule others, control the situation, or determine right and wrong."
Old 22nd August 2022, 06:18 PM   #68
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Unfortunate expression of position, imo. One that illustrates an intense desire to condemn conservatives, even when they extend an olive branch.
Again, you don't address the topic but segue into victimization.
Old 22nd August 2022, 06:21 PM   #69
Warp12
King of Kings

Again, you don't address the topic but segue into victimization.

Completely false. I clearly stated that my experience was that most teachers were liberals, and certainly the best teachers I had were largely liberals. And I also have said, if most look at their educational experience honestly, they will find that their educators were primarily liberals.

There is nothing more for me to say on this.
Old 22nd August 2022, 06:33 PM   #70
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Completely false. I clearly stated that my experience was that most teachers were liberals, and certainly the best teachers I had were largely liberals. And I also have said, if most look at their educational experience honestly, they will find that their educators were primarily liberals.

Your attempt an excuse doesn't even make sense. How does an "Unfortunate expression of position, imo," become "One that illustrates an intense desire to condemn conservatives, even when they extend an olive branch"?

Promise?
Old 22nd August 2022, 06:47 PM   #71
autumn1971
Illuminator

The US now is denying rational science and history in order to promulgate right-wing propaganda in obvious denial of facts.
Congratulations! You are now fully echoing Stalinist ideals!
Well done comrades!
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2022, 07:00 PM   #72
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

No, reality isn’t that flexible. Alternative facts aren’t facts.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.

Last edited by Dr. Keith; 22nd August 2022 at 07:32 PM.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2022, 11:53 PM   #73
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
No, reality isn’t that flexible. Alternative facts aren’t facts.
To the right-wing they are.
Old 23rd August 2022, 03:58 AM   #74
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

I'm sure if you search your soul you'll know that we all see what a lame, transparent evasion that is. It's almost as though you're just parroting right-wing talking points without having thought about them.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2022, 04:38 AM   #75
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Followed up with the 'but muh feels!' maneuver.

Still too hackey. 1½ stars.
Old 23rd August 2022, 04:41 AM   #76
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Funny thing is these "might makes right" types will undoubtedly call the cops if they're ever mugged.
Old 23rd August 2022, 04:44 AM   #77
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Needs more cowbell.
Old 23rd August 2022, 04:46 AM   #78
shuttlt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
Funny thing is these "might makes right" types will undoubtedly call the cops if they're ever mugged.
Why shouldn't they? There is nothing inconsistent in that.
Old 23rd August 2022, 04:54 AM   #79
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

You also completely failed to provide any of the requested examples of "freakish liberal ideals and beliefs being pressed on children".

Can you imagine what would happen if a prosecutor said he knew the defendant was guilty, but when asked by the defense council what evidence he had to support that claim he simply turned to the jury and said, "Look into your hearts and you'll know he's guilty. I rest my case."? I imagine he'd be laughed out of court.
Old 23rd August 2022, 05:01 AM   #80
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Why shouldn't they? There is nothing inconsistent in that.
So might makes right, but only when it works out in your favor. Yeah, that seems pretty consistent with that position.

I bet it would be right if the police started rounding up university professors and charging them with corrupting the youth by pressing their freakish liberal ideals and beliefs on them, but wrong if they started rounding up conservative Christians like in some Left Behind fan fiction story.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics