IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 23rd August 2022, 05:15 AM   #81
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
So might makes right, but only when it works out in your favor.
Has this really been unclear for like the last... ever at this point when dealing with Conservatives?
Old 23rd August 2022, 12:11 PM   #82
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

My post (#70) was improperly quoted and it's too late to edit it so I'm reposting it here correctly:
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Completely false. I clearly stated that my experience was that most teachers were liberals, and certainly the best teachers I had were largely liberals. And I also have said, if most look at their educational experience honestly, they will find that their educators were primarily liberals.
Your attempt an excuse doesn't even make sense. How does an "Unfortunate expression of position, imo," become "One that illustrates an intense desire to condemn conservatives, even when they extend an olive branch"?

Quote:
There is nothing more for me to say on this.
Promise?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2022, 06:23 PM   #83
BazBear
Possible Suspect

Have you seen DeSantis' "Top Gov" campaign ad? What an asshat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2nbjZgUjss

I forgot how to do the BB YouTube tags, so apologies for posting it as a regular link.
BazBear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2022, 06:32 PM   #84
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
Can you imagine what would happen if a prosecutor said he knew the defendant was guilty, but when asked by the defense council what evidence he had to support that claim he simply turned to the jury and said, "Look into your hearts and you'll know he's guilty. I rest my case."? I imagine he'd be laughed out of court.
My one jury experience included three jurors that said if we accepted Jesus in to our hearts we would know the defendant was guilty. They also cited the defendant's name as conclusive evidence of guilt (and two respected people I worked with had very similar Mexican names).

And then things got bad.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 23rd August 2022 at 06:33 PM.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2022, 11:09 PM   #85
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
My one jury experience included three jurors that said if we accepted Jesus in to our hearts we would know the defendant was guilty. They also cited the defendant's name as conclusive evidence of guilt (and two respected people I worked with had very similar Mexican names).

And then things got bad.
I believe it. I've read hundreds of posts by people in comment sections declare they knew a well-known acquitted person was guilty because they could see it her eyes, her body language, and by statement analysis. They couldn't discuss the actual evidence worth crap but they were absolutely convinced of her guilt. The idea of ever being judged by a jury of 'regular people' scares the crap out of me. I think I'd go with a judge alone.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2022, 11:58 PM   #86
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

When Republican Parents complain about teachers, they admit that they are scared their children will find out how morally bankrupt their ideology is.
If you love your children and want to raise them well, you give them access to multiple points of views.
Only Cults demand that there can be only one source of Truth.
Old 24th August 2022, 03:51 AM   #87
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by BazBear View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2nbjZgUjss

I forgot how to do the BB YouTube tags, so apologies for posting it as a regular link.
[yt]W2nbjZgUjss[/yt]

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 24th August 2022, 03:58 AM   #88
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post

And then things got bad.
Jesus!
Old 24th August 2022, 05:14 AM   #89
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BazBear View Post
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Teachers and the media are the enemies of 'free' people? DeSantis is running for reelection as Florida's governor so he dresses up like an airman and poses in the cockpit of a fighter jet? Advises voters to "never back down from a fight" and to respond with "overwhelming force." Overwhelming force against whom, reporters and teachers? Seems comical but he's a rising star in Republican politics. Undoubtedly a very dangerous trend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Top Gov.jpg (21.5 KB, 5 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2022, 05:34 AM   #90
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Jesus!
I'd rather have him on the jury than those three idiots.
Old 24th August 2022, 05:41 AM   #91
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
When Republican Parents complain about teachers, they admit that they are scared their children will find out how morally bankrupt their ideology is.
If you love your children and want to raise them well, you give them access to multiple points of views.
Oh it's waaaayyyyyy worse than that. What they're worried about is their children finding out that their grandparents were dicks. For every civil rights activists sitting desegregating a lunch counter, there were a couple dozen white people calling them ******, assaulting them, pouring scalding coffee on them. Those people are the grandparents of today's Florida children. In the South (and other areas where segregation was a big) this is personal.
Old 24th August 2022, 06:25 AM   #92
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Teachers and the media are the enemies of 'free' people?
Liberal teachers and the mainstream media absolutely are the enemies of free people as imagined by today's Republican Party.

Party approved propaganda is the only acceptable source of information about the past or the present. The really scary thing is that 40% or so of Americans are perfectly happy with this, and enough of the 60% cannot be bothered to get out and vote against it.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2022, 06:31 AM   #93
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The Proudly Wrong need all sources of facts; the media, teachers, science, to be demonized in order to maintain the post-fact world needed for them to stay wrong.
Old 24th August 2022, 06:56 AM   #94
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
The Proudly Wrong need all sources of facts; the media, teachers, science, to be demonized in order to maintain the post-fact world needed for them to stay wrong.
And there's a whole media machine out there that's reliant on the custom of The Proudly Wrong to fill their coffers. The market for fact-based media is pretty well established and saturated whilst there may still be growth potential in the post-fact market.

As an added bonus you don't need researchers or fact-checkers for a post-fact media outlet, you just make **** up. It's quite a saving in costs.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2022, 06:57 AM   #95
SteveAitch
Muse

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Teachers and the media are the enemies of 'free' people? DeSantis is running for reelection as Florida's governor so he dresses up like an airman and poses in the cockpit of a fighter jet? Advises voters to "never back down from a fight" and to respond with "overwhelming force." Overwhelming force against whom, reporters and teachers? Seems comical but he's a rising star in Republican politics. Undoubtedly a very dangerous trend.
Who does he think he is? Boris Johnson?

Mind you, it didn't do BJ any good.

Some people call me 'strange'. I prefer 'unconventional'. But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'...
SteveAitch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2022, 06:58 AM   #96
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

As many times as it has backfired you'd think politicians would stop posing in military vehicles for campaign ads.
Old 24th August 2022, 06:59 AM   #97
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I'm sure there's some of that behind it, but there's also just a lot of people who cannot grasp the concept of critical thinking: they think to talk about something is to endorse it. They can't understand the difference between teaching children what something is and persuading children that thing is good. Like teaching what various religions believe is inseparable from proselytizing. Intellectual rigor is not widespread.
Old 24th August 2022, 07:07 AM   #98
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I'm sure there's some of that behind it, but there's also just a lot of people who cannot grasp the concept of critical thinking: they think to talk about something is to endorse it. They can't understand the difference between teaching children what something is and persuading children that thing is good. Like teaching what various religions believe is inseparable from proselytizing. Intellectual rigor is not widespread.
That's why the Proudly Wrong have two and only two responses to being shown they are wrong.

1. Equating something being factually wrong with it simply being unpopular, i.e. "At least I'm thinking for myself" and every other variation of same, as if those are the same thing.
2. Equating their right to be wrong with evidence that they are not actually wrong, usually in the form of acting as if telling them they are wrong is somehow an attack on their right to have a differing opinion.

Both require the abandonment of actual intellectual standards of evidence that can actually show one stance being more correct than the other.

They never actually argue why they are right, because they aren't and on some level they know it. Them being wrong is always a proxy battle for something else with them. That's what separates the Proudly Wrong from the normally wrong.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 24th August 2022 at 07:12 AM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2022, 07:08 AM   #99
Warp12
King of Kings

Last edited by Warp12; 24th August 2022 at 07:22 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2022, 07:11 AM   #100
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

As many times as it has backfired you'd think politicians would stop posing in military vehicles for campaign ads.
It only tends to backfire for left-leaning politicians. Right wing politicians seem to garner support from it no matter how ridiculous they may look to the likes of me.
Old 24th August 2022, 08:51 AM   #101
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I had a conversation like that with an elderly aunt once. She was very indignant that her grand daughter's state college was "teaching Islam". I said I was 100% sure that they weren't, and that it was certainly a class teaching students about Islam from a secular perspective. I said such comparative religion classes are common. I then asked her if she wouldn't rather know what followers of other religions actually think. When it came up that she thought that Muslims believe that all the non-Muslims in the world have to be killed before the Muslim version of Jesus can come, I pointed out that that was exactly the sort of falsehood that such a class could eliminate. But she was becoming visibly upset, doubling down on that delusion because her Evangelical pastor had told her congregation that "fact" about Islam, and he would never lie. The last thing I pointed out was that it needn't be a lie if he actually believed it, but that it was still wrong.

She doesn't live in Florida, but if she lives long enough and DeSantis is the GOP nominee for POTUS, I could totally see her voting for him.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2022, 09:33 AM   #102
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

Looking back at my own education, and later that of my kids, I readily agree that I encountered some instances of what I could consider liberal bias along the way. I also encountered conservative bias, for example a teacher concluding a lesson on evolution with "On the other hand, is it possible some Power just made it look that way?" Another warned her class that money was about to become worthless, because Obama was about to erase the national debt by simply printing a trillion dollars worth of paper currency and pay it off with that.

In all honesty, I'd say the single biggest impact on education came from the conservative side, in the form of the neutering of science topics such as evolution and cosmology -- seriously, the lessons I got on those subjects as a kid decades ago were probably more definitive and accurate than the mealy-mouth equivocation my daughter and son later received, as if the subjects are unpleasant family secrets that have to be handled at arm's length, if at all.

My point is, biases creep in from all sides in the educational process and always have. To say it's largely a liberal issue is disingenuous at best. But I think everyone involved already knows that. Instead, conservatives want to make "liberal bias" the label they slap on huge chunks of inconvenient reality that involve science, history, biology, and many other subjects. Don't want students learning about this country's checkered racial history? Just stamp "liberal bias" on it and eliminate it from the curriculum. Problem solved! Gay rights, global warming, pollution, non-Christian religions? Same treatment. That way you get to politicize reality itself, and raise a generation of ignorant and deluded kids whom you can more easily fool with your political lies.

As I've said before, in the long run it won't work, because ultimately the truth will out, even if it's a 10-steps-forward, 9-steps-back process. But a lot of people will likely be damaged in the process, not to mention the USA's prestige and influence around the world. And I suspect that history will be very, very harsh on those who are doing this now.

Last edited by Stellafane; 24th August 2022 at 09:36 AM.
Stellafane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2022, 09:42 AM   #103
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Originally Posted by Stellafane View Post
Looking back at my own education, and later that of my kids, I readily agree that I encountered some instances of what I could consider liberal bias along the way. I also encountered conservative bias, for example a teacher concluding a lesson on evolution with "On the other hand, is it possible some Power just made it look that way?" Another warned her class that money was about to become worthless, because Obama was about to erase the national debt by simply printing a trillion dollars worth of paper currency and pay it off with that.

In all honesty, I'd say the single biggest impact on education came from the conservative side, in the form of the neutering of science topics such as evolution and cosmology -- seriously, the lessons I got on those subjects as a kid decades ago were probably more definitive and accurate than the mealy-mouth equivocation my daughter and son later received, as if the subjects are unpleasant family secrets that have to be handled at arm's length, if at all.

My point is, biases creep in from all sides in the educational process and always have. To say it's largely a liberal issue is disingenuous at best. But I think everyone involved already knows that. Instead, conservatives want to make "liberal bias" the label they slap on huge chunks of inconvenient reality that involve science, history, biology, and many other subjects. Don't want students learning about this country's checkered racial history? Just stamp "liberal bias" on it and eliminate it from the curriculum. Problem solved! Gay rights, global warming, pollution, non-Christian religions? Same treatment. That way you get to politicize reality itself, and raise a generation of ignorant and deluded kids whom you can more easily fool with your political lies.

As I've said before, in the long run it won't work, because ultimately the truth will out, even if it's a 10-steps-forward, 9-steps-back process. But a lot of people will likely be damaged in the process, not to mention the USA's prestige and influence around the world. And I suspect that history will be very, very harsh on those who are doing this now.
I'd like to believe that, but history is written by the winners. And the way things are going, there might not be any winners. The ship called Earth is sinking and there's no lifeboats.

I know, I'm just a complete Pollyanna.
Old 24th August 2022, 09:45 AM   #104
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
I'd like to believe that, but history is written by the winners. And the way things are going, there might not be any winners. The ship called Earth is sinking and there's no lifeboats.

I know, I'm just a complete Pollyanna.
No fear...any day now our cyber overlords will arise and take over, and all this puny human political stuff will become moot anyway.
Old 24th August 2022, 09:48 AM   #105
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"Sane reality" winning in the long term is inevitable. At the end of the day reality cares not what you think and WILL make you live in its world.

The United States still existing at all, to say anything of it still existing as a major power, is far less inevitable.

And I get that like 90% of people outside the US and about 50% of people in it see the United States as nothing but a grave to one day dance on, but a world with a sane, functioning US is better than one with an insane US or no US at all.
Old 24th August 2022, 10:19 AM   #106
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Stellafane View Post
Looking back at my own education, and later that of my kids, I readily agree that I encountered some instances of what I could consider liberal bias along the way. I also encountered conservative bias,
I remember being taught that the Confederacy was about states' rights, which I didn't know any better at the time. I also remember having one class where a local minister came in to talk to us about intelligent design, which I did know better at the time.

My crazy conservative uncle once asked me about all the liberal politics I was learning in college. I pointed out that I was a physics major. The closest we ever got to discussing politics was when Congress cancelled the Superconducting Super Collider in '93. He kept insisting I was being indoctrinated but couldn't quite articulate how.
Old 24th August 2022, 10:22 AM   #107
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

My goddamn high school biology teacher told me dinosaurs never existed and the holocaust didn't happen and neither of those things were even close to the topic he was supposed to be teaching at the time, which was the circulatory system.

Like I'm not kidding. It was like "The aortic valve is the primary connection between the aorta and the left ventricle oh and by the way did you know dinosaurs didn't actually exist and all the Jews in WWII really went to live with relatives in other countries..."
Old 24th August 2022, 10:31 AM   #108
Warp12
King of Kings

My goddamn high school biology teacher told me dinosaurs never existed and the holocaust didn't happen and neither of those things were even close to the topic he was supposed to be teaching at the time, which was the circulatory system.

Like I'm not kidding. It was like "The aortic valve is the primary connection between the aorta and the left ventricle oh and by the way did you know dinosaurs didn't actually exist and all the Jews in WWII really went to live with relatives in other countries..."

So you can obviously see how off-the-rails teaching and influence is unacceptable.
Old 24th August 2022, 10:32 AM   #109
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

So you can obviously see how off-the-rails teaching and influence is unacceptable.
Yes and not one single thing Republicans are worried about being taught in school applies.
Old 24th August 2022, 10:33 AM   #110
Warp12
King of Kings

Yes and not one single thing Republicans are worried about being taught in school applies.

Of course that is how it would seem from a liberal pov.
Old 24th August 2022, 10:35 AM   #111
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Republican Strategy: Be intentionally insane, wrong, and evil about literally everything while assuming the persona of someone who's only goal is to be the literal worst possible human being anyone has met.

Claim reality is just "a bias."
Old 24th August 2022, 10:37 AM   #112
Warp12
King of Kings

Republican Strategy: Be intentionally insane, wrong, and evil about literally everything while assuming the persona of someone who's only goal is to be the literal worst possible human being anyone has met.

Claim reality is just "a bias."

Certainly there is no bias presented in the highlighted. We must get all educators onboard with this, promptly.
Old 24th August 2022, 10:39 AM   #113
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Okay let's do an experiment.

You: Provide a non-troll example of something that Republicans want to teach in school that they cannot.

I will explain it why it is wrong.
Old 24th August 2022, 10:40 AM   #114
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Facts are just, like, your liberal opinion, man.
Old 24th August 2022, 10:40 AM   #115
arayder
Master Poster

I think he is pointing out just how unacceptable off-the-rails teaching is.
arayder is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2022, 10:48 AM   #116
Warp12
King of Kings

You: Provide a non-troll example of something that Republicans want to teach in school that they cannot.

Yawn. There is that word again. Also, isn't the core really more about what Republicans don't want forced on their children?

Don't answer if it involves the word "troll", "evil", "insane", "wrong", etc...because that is not worthy of civil debate.
Old 24th August 2022, 10:49 AM   #117
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by arayder View Post
I think he is pointing out just how unacceptable off-the-rails teaching is.

So that concept should at least be a common ground.
Old 24th August 2022, 10:50 AM   #118
arayder
Master Poster

Yawn. There is that word again. Also, isn't the core really more about what Republicans don't want forced on their children?

Don't answer if it involves the word "troll", "evil", "insane", "wrong", etc...because that is not worthy of civil debate.
"The witness is non-responsive."
arayder is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2022, 10:50 AM   #119
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Facts are just, like, your liberal opinion, man.

In some cases this is true because of how the "facts" are characterized/presented. Even "The Dude" would agree.
Old 24th August 2022, 10:51 AM   #120
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

And experiment over, the results speak for themselves.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics