IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 24th August 2022, 10:53 AM   #121
arayder
Master Poster

Originally Posted by arayder View Post
I think he is pointing out just how unacceptable off-the-rails teaching is.
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
So that concept should at least be a common ground.
So what off-the-rails instruction is going on in schools?
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2022, 10:53 AM   #122
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
And experiment over, the results speak for themselves.

You got that right.
Old 24th August 2022, 10:55 AM   #123
Warp12
King of Kings

Oh, nothing that would bother a liberal who wants to characterize America as based upon evil, and normalize/promote social concepts that are freakish.
Old 24th August 2022, 10:56 AM   #124
arayder
Master Poster

Oh, nothing that would bother a liberal who wants to characterize America as based upon evil, and normalize/promote social concepts that are freakish.
Substance please.
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2022, 11:00 AM   #125
Warp12
King of Kings

Substance please.

I am not trying to waste my time convincing the members of this church that their beliefs are wrong...that is a lost cause, and this is their house of worship.

The important thing we have agreed upon is that off-the-rails teaching is real, and unacceptable.
Old 24th August 2022, 11:02 AM   #126
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Who is teaching that America was based upon evil?

Please, an answer other than "libruls" would be appreciated. I'd like specific examples.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2022, 11:05 AM   #127
sackett
Philosopher

Substance please.
See post # 99, above.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2022, 11:09 AM   #128
arayder
Master Poster

Substance please.
I am not trying to waste my time convincing the members of this church that their beliefs are wrong...that is a lost cause, and this is their house of worship.

The important thing we have agreed upon is that off-the-rails teaching is real, and unacceptable.
You say that not accepting off-the-rails instruction is "common ground".

But when asked to identify such being taught in the public schools you say you are busy.

I suspect you really don't know what is being taught in the country's public schools and therefor can't answer.

The curriculum of the public schools (your local one in particular) is not unknowable.
Old 24th August 2022, 11:13 AM   #129
Warp12
King of Kings

Are you disputing this is a common ground? That off-the-rails instruction is unacceptable? Or, are you characterizing that only conservatives resort to such things in practicality?

I am not going to turn this into a debate of specific subject matter, which is what I think you want.
Old 24th August 2022, 11:18 AM   #130
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I think Warp12 is just derailing the thread from the nonsense that DeSantis is doing in Florida. He's trying to introduce a "both sides do it" claim into the discussion. He's essentially saying that DeSantis is correct in undoing the liberal agenda that doesn't exist in the curriculum while trying not to appear that he's defending DeSantis agenda of turning public education into right-wing indoctrination.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2022, 11:29 AM   #131
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
See post # 99, above.
Well played.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2022, 11:32 AM   #132
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
He's essentially saying that DeSantis is correct in undoing the liberal agenda that doesn't exist in the curriculum while trying not to appear that he's defending DeSantis agenda of turning public education into right-wing indoctrination.
By instructing teachers to teach things that are objectively false. It's not a matter of bias or opinion what the Confederates were fighting for. It's not a matter of opinion whether the US is based on Christian Nationalism principles.
Old 24th August 2022, 11:34 AM   #133
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

One luxury enjoyed by every generation is to look back and laugh at the silly things their predecessors did and believed. Accordingly, I try to shape my beliefs by imagining what stupid things we're doing now that will amuse and perplex our descendants. It's a dicey proposition at best, as is anything that involves predicting the future. Nevertheless, there are several things I suspect will be true.

For instance, I have a hard time believing future generations will conclude Trump actually won the 2020 election, nor do I believe that they will have a great deal of sympathy for those currently trying to make political capital from that claim. I don't think they'll discover global warming is a hoax, and that it was a good thing we denied it and delayed measures to address it. I don't think future generations will laud our efforts to install more Christian ideals into the US government and educational system, and in the process make things more difficult for anyone who isn't white, male, and straight. I believe it's highly unlikely that the likes of Qanon and Alex Jones will someday be considered heroes.

Predicting what the future will make of a recent presidency is an especially iffy enterprise. But considering the Trump administration's close association with the preceding issues, there's a good chance it won't be very favorable. Similarly I can't be sure how our anti-immigration efforts will pan out. But based on our history, we've generally opposed immigration movements in the moment but subsequently ended up looking more favorably on them in retrospect (hell, the freaking Statue of Liberty itself sports a paean to immigration). As for abortion, I have no idea really -- but I do think it's likely that the USA will grow increasingly out of step with the rest of the world on that topic.

I could be wrong about a lot of this, of course. But I think it's reasonable to ask, what side of history do I really want to be on? And right now, it very much isn't with the collection of abominated ideals that comprise US conservatism, nor with the Republican party that supports this agenda.

Last edited by Stellafane; 24th August 2022 at 11:36 AM.
Stellafane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2022, 11:37 AM   #134
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Yes this is the point I keep making. Whine about "bias" doesn't change the fact that some things are just factually wrong.

"Factually wrong" remember that? Before everything wrong was just "a bias."

America has a racist past. The Civil War was about slavery. Evolution happens. Climate Change is real and man-made. These are all facts, agreeing they are facts is not a bias, it's just not choosing to be intentionally and proudly wrong because the world is leaving you behind and the only reaction your tiny brain can come up with in response is to put on a giant performance art routine of being the most horrible person imaginable.
Old 24th August 2022, 11:52 AM   #135
arayder
Master Poster

Are you disputing this is a common ground? That off-the-rails instruction is unacceptable?
No

Quote:
Or, are you characterizing that only conservatives resort to such things in practicality?
No

Quote:
I am not going to turn this into a debate of specific subject matter, which is what I think you want.
So we have common ground, but you just don't want to talk about it.

Last edited by arayder; 24th August 2022 at 11:54 AM.
Old 24th August 2022, 11:59 AM   #136
arayder
Master Poster

Delete double post

Last edited by arayder; 24th August 2022 at 12:11 PM.
Old 24th August 2022, 12:21 PM   #137
sackett
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Well played.
Played? Why, Doctor, I think I or you should nominate post # 99 for a special language award: Most Humane Abstension From Tro

No. I won't say that word. It makes baby conservatives cry.

sackett is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2022, 12:36 PM   #138
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

I think Warp12 is just derailing the thread from the nonsense that DeSantis is doing in Florida. He's trying to introduce a "both sides do it" claim into the discussion. He's essentially saying that DeSantis is correct in undoing the liberal agenda that doesn't exist in the curriculum while trying not to appear that he's defending DeSantis agenda of turning public education into right-wing indoctrination.
A common conservative tactic is using an example of their side doing some bad thing as evidence that we should stop liberals from doing some other thing.

A conservative teacher was teaching religion in science class? See, that's proof that DeSantis is right to ban teaching about real historical facts in history!

It doesn't make sense, it doesn't have to. It just has to get a reaction from the libs.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2022, 12:39 PM   #139
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

One of the key tentpoles of the post-fact world is the idea that being factually correct shouldn't give one side an "unfair" advantage over the other.

That's why every Republican talking point is "The Democrats get to tell children facts, therefore if you don't let us lie to them it's unfair."

Now for this to work you have to reject the concept of a fact and the Republicans have certainly done that, but you also have to adopt a toxic personality that makes the simple of talking to you so unpleasant nobody wants to do it.
Old 24th August 2022, 12:42 PM   #140
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

So you can obviously see how off-the-rails teaching and influence is unacceptable.
We can also see your continuing failure to provide the requested examples of "freakish liberal ideals and beliefs being pressed on children".
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2022, 12:43 PM   #141
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Fixed it for you.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2022, 12:52 PM   #142
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

I think we can fix this one, too.

"I am... trying to... flail my arms around and shout 'won't someone please think of the children?' in the lame hope that no one will see that I've clearly been parroting right wing bellyfeel that I can't now justify with evidence.
Old 24th August 2022, 12:55 PM   #143
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Also you can't do that AFTER you also made the "Children? Who cares I'll be dead" argument when discussing the environment.

Again you can't loudly adopt the persona of someone who doesn't care about anyone and then play the sympathy card.
Old 24th August 2022, 01:00 PM   #144
Warp12
King of Kings

Also you can't do that AFTER you also made the "Children? Who cares I'll be dead" argument when discussing the environment.

Again you can't loudly adopt the persona of someone who doesn't care about anyone and then play the sympathy card.

Oh god, now this is morphing into a climate change debate. That debate is about 10 layers deep, friend. Start a new thread.

At least agree that from a teaching/curriculum standpoint, going off the rails is unacceptable. Liberal or conservative. And that there should be legislation that protects such from occurring.
Old 24th August 2022, 01:00 PM   #145
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Another thing the Trump party is railing against is "being woke." I mean.. really?

Doesn't being woke mean treating people with respect and equitably? They're not even hiding the fact that they like racism, homophobia and other forms of bigotry anymore.
Old 24th August 2022, 01:02 PM   #146
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Oh god, now this is morphing into a climate change debate. That debate is about 10 layers deep, friend. Start a new thread.

At least agree that from a teaching/curriculum standpoint, going off the rails is unacceptable. Liberal or conservative. And that there should be legislation that protects such from occurring.
What does this have to do with what DeSantis is doing to public education in Florida?
Old 24th August 2022, 01:03 PM   #147
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
We can also see your continuing failure to provide the requested examples of "freakish liberal ideals and beliefs being pressed on children".

Trying to teach children that gay people are human beings worthy of rights and respect?
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2022, 01:04 PM   #148
Warp12
King of Kings

What does this have to do with what DeSantis is doing to public education in Florida?

Huh?
Old 24th August 2022, 01:04 PM   #149
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Trying to teach children that gay people are human beings worthy of rights and respect?
This is "woke" education and wrong in the views of Republicans.
Old 24th August 2022, 01:06 PM   #150
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

No it's just reaffirming the point that the internet persona you have adopted's entire personality is defending a political party that is wrong about literally everything and is putting on a big fake show that nobody actually buys of not understanding why he doesn't get the same thing that people who are not intentionally wrong get.

Democrats get to teach things in schools because they aren't literally wrong about everything.

Republicans do not because they are literally wrong about everything.

This is not unfair or "bias" or an agenda.

Climate change is real, so it gets taught in schools.

America's racist past is real, so it gets taught in schools.

Evolution is real, so it gets taught in schools.

"White are the real victims" and "No the slaves loved being slaves" and "God did it with magic" are all lies, so they don't get taught in schools.

This is a simple concept, one that you understand as well as I do, you just put on the persona of someone who doesn't as part of your act.
Old 24th August 2022, 01:15 PM   #151
arayder
Master Poster

So what do you specifically propose?

Substance, please.
Old 24th August 2022, 01:16 PM   #152
Warp12
King of Kings

No it's just reaffirming the point that the internet persona you have adopted's entire personality is defending a political party that is wrong about literally everything and is putting on a big fake show that nobody actually buys of not understanding why he doesn't get the same thing that people who are not intentionally wrong get.

Democrats get to teach things in schools because they aren't literally wrong about everything.

Republicans do not because they are literally wrong about everything.

This is not unfair or "bias" or an agenda.

Climate change is real, so it gets taught in schools.

America's racist past is real, so it gets taught in schools.

Evolution is real, so it gets taught in schools.

"White are the real victims" and "No the slaves loved being slaves" and "God did it with magic" are all lies, so they don't get taught in schools.

This is a simple concept, one that you understand as well as I do, you just put on the persona of someone who doesn't as part of your act.

The above is practically a personal attack, suggesting that I am misrepresenting myself as being a conservative. Essentially you are calling me a liar.

Conservatives are real, you know. And they are not mostly the demonized group as depicted by resident libs. Most are very decent people that just don't ascribe to a liberal view of the world.
Old 24th August 2022, 01:17 PM   #153
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

What is it with "conservatives" and their insistence that there should be laws against all these things that aren't happening? Like, how many things that you imagine might happen but really don't should there be laws against? And how the heck would legislatures have time to write all these laws you claim we need against anything and everything you can imagine might happen in some alternate universe?
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2022, 01:18 PM   #154
sackett
Philosopher

A poll somewhere made the news, well, FaceBunk, saying that DeSnotties would trounce Trumph if the
Replcns held their convention now. So his transparent little plan is working, at least by some measures.

The same story also had Biden rolling over The New Huey Long in the election.

Snare the Wealth. Every Man a Gink.

Old 24th August 2022, 01:18 PM   #155
arayder
Master Poster

The above is practically a personal attack, suggesting that I am misrepresenting myself as being a conservative. . ..
What are you?
Old 24th August 2022, 01:19 PM   #156
Warp12
King of Kings

What are you?

I am a conservative. I am not adopting the "persona" of one, as JoeMorgue contends.
Old 24th August 2022, 01:21 PM   #157
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

The above is practically a personal attack, suggesting that I am misrepresenting myself as being a conservative. Essentially you are calling me a liar.
6 degrees of Kevin Bacon to get to "essentially" calling you a liar?

Conservatives are real, you know. And they are not mostly the demonized group as depicted by resident libs. Most are very decent people that just don't ascribe to a liberal view of the world.
Trolls are real, as well. They also claim not to ascribe to a "liberal" view of the world. Oddly enough, they refuse to describe that "liberal" view that they rant about as well....

hey, wait a minute...
Old 24th August 2022, 01:26 PM   #158
arayder
Master Poster

The above is practically a personal attack, suggesting that I am misrepresenting myself as being a conservative. . .
What are you?
I am a conservative. I am not adopting the "persona" of one, as JoeMorgue contends.
So the non-persona should be able to tell us exactly what "off-the-rails' educational practices you think we need to talk about.
Old 24th August 2022, 01:26 PM   #159
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
6 degrees of Kevin Bacon to get to "essentially" calling you a liar?

Trolls are real, as well. They also claim not to ascribe to a "liberal" view of the world. Oddly enough, they refuse to describe that "liberal" view that they rant about as well....

hey, wait a minute...

Another personal attack, certain to go unnoticed.
Old 24th August 2022, 01:27 PM   #160
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Yes if any of this was a real concern you could put aside the act and explain what your issues are.

But you won't. Because you can't.

What are your "conservative" values? What do you think conservatives are doing to make the world a better place?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics